VAR Decisions - PL 19/20 Season

Are you in favour of VAR in the PL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Because they didnt award it after viewing, so guess they concluded its not a pen but if ref gave it away, they wouldnt overturn it.
Aye. The burden of proof required to overturn the referee's decision in this case essentially means he would have had to miss the contact with the arm entirely. Or, if he had given the penalty, he would have had to have imagined the contact entirely for it to be overturned.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Auba did well to not be put off, and carry on and put it away.
After years of seeing a flag and stopping, it would have been the natural thing.
I think he's really very good. Aside from his sheer pace he's a very clinical striker.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Can anyone make a list of all the decisions that have been clear and obvious and yet haven't been reviewed or just not given despite being reviewed? It has to be quite a list, would be interesting to see it all in on paper to get a grasp, and even review the situations again to confirm how fecked up the refs and VAR has been.

A couple of games ago I think Rashford received a yellow for controlling the ball with his upper arm, and another game he got a freekick against him where he did the same thing only he didn't even use his arm, he used his shoulder legally. This is getting very silly.

acnumber9

Worth pointing out that the players were specifically briefed at the start of the season to play to the whistle, not to the flag. If they stopped it's entirely on them.

Friend actually did the right thing (for once in the game) by letting it play on. If he had blown the whistle he would have been heavily criticized for preventing a goal that should have stood. As I think he was in the Villa/Palace game?
And linesman are specifically told not to raise their flag in those situations so it can’t be ‘entirely’ on them. Utd have right to feel aggrieved even if the right decision was made because the linesman has absolutely fecked that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
And linesman are specifically told not to raise their flag in those situations so it can’t be ‘entirely’ on them. Utd have right to feel aggrieved even if the right decision was made because the linesman has absolutely fecked that.
They are specifically told that in the CL and other leagues but not in the PL. Thus you get situations like this and the Martial offside that was actually onside earlier in the season. It's very stupid.

Johan07

The penalty call for us was so clear and obvious as it gets.
The PL application of VAR is absolutely ridiculous.
It differs from the rest of Europe which is a big, big problem in itself.
As it stands now we are judging offside calls by inches; and not judging anything else at all. And I am for applying the offside rule as we do now.
Its completely moronic though; when you choose do that to not use VAR at all in other respects. Because that is what is happening now.
Either the PL uses VAR full out like the rest of Europe or just get rid of it completely. Either option is way better then whats going on now.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Apologies, I think I misunderstood the below:

If the call is exceptionally tight, the assistant can raise the flag when the attacking move ends. This could, for instance, mean a corner is cancelled and offside given. Similarly, referees have the right to let play continue if it is felt there could be an attacking advantage.

This differs to UEFA and FIFA competitions, in which flags are kept down unless a player is clearly offside. This means play can run on unnecessarily.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...er-league-all-your-questions-answered#offside

In that case the linesman was even more inept than I thought.

El Zoido

If we’d been given the penalty we’d probably have won this game. Same against Wolves too. Four points lost when when VAR is supposed to exist to make sure this doesn’t happen. In its current implementation I’d rather they just scrap it than go on like this.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
VAR is getting politically enforced. "This situation we can brush under the carpet, they're a small team don't make a fuzz this week" "We need a big offside call this weekend to prove to the world we are more detailed in the PL than in any other leagues" "Don't make any calls to protect the refs this week" "Make a lot of calls, it will make the top 4 more entertaining."

It is a complete joke ran by incompetent people with no vision.

Johan07

Which is why I feel Utd have just cause to feel aggrieved even if it was a perfectly fair goal. It’s caused a debate and controversy there was no need for.
It was strange in so many ways. To be fair it was not even close to being offside to begin with. And then the flag. And we have not had a clear answer on if the ref even blew the whistle before the goal. Use VAR full out (including the instructions to the assistents). Or dont at all.

Anustart89

It was strange in so many ways. To be fair it was not even close to being offside to begin with. And then the flag. And we have not had a clear answer on if the ref even blew the whistle before the goal. Use VAR full out (including the instructions to the assistents). Or dont at all.
We do. He didn't. Ball was in goal when he blew the whistle.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Right so we've now established that literally ANY contact in the box is a foul. fecking brilliant.

Irrational.

Bullshit technology. If it's going to be inconsistently applied you may as well not use it at all. Fecking incompetent fecks.

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
There were a lot of VAR decisions this season that were nothing short of ridiculous, but this one was not. This one is on the ref. VAR can't overrule him because there was some contact, but to give that penalty in the first place was a blatant mistake.

This was a typical case of the ref needing to rewatch it and change his mind, after VAR advising him to take another look because it is not a clear penalty, it is just a small contact and the player was still able to move his right foot before deciding to buy a penalty.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s been an absolute shitshow. At this rate I’d rather they just fecked it off and stopped wasting everybody's time.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
This is where VAR is faulty. The clear and obvious rule is too prescriptive.

When the camera angles aren't conclusive, I agree you stick with the onfield decision, but where it shows something the ref hasn't seen (like a dive), change the decision.

Refs seem scared or embarrassed. Rugby, tennis, cricket.... if they see something that was important but not originally seen, they're all comfortable with changing their decision.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Bullshit technology. If it's going to be inconsistently applied you may as well not use it at all. Fecking incompetent fecks.
Nothing wrong with the technology itself. Just being used incorrectly

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Basically whatever decision the referee originally makes will stand because the PL's VAR system is designed to have no effect whatsoever except on offsides. Which is immensely stupid and frustrating.

I mean even if we accept for argument's sake that it was a penalty, would anyone in their right mind have objected to the referee being allowed to have another look at it given how easily Mane went down? There's feck all point to having a VAR system if you're going to keep prioritizing a lack of interventions over getting the right decision to this extent.

This would not be an issue if the PL had stuck to what other leagues were doing with VAR. Trust them to learn nothing from other leagues even after being one of the last to adopt it.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Liverpool v Leicester:

1. Alexander-Arnold raked Tielemens’ achilles in the first half. A blatant yellow card and foul yet VAR decided it wasn’t a red, therefore no action was deemed necessary. Lolwut?!

2. Mane feels minima... actually, feck it, this decision was so abysmal it doesn’t need highlighting.

VAR, la.

SER19

Var is close to a perfect technology. There are almost no problems with var.

English referees are a shambles and only the premier league could make it so consistently woeful. Root and branch upheaval of referees needed over many years in UK.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

When the camera angles aren't conclusive, I agree you stick with the onfield decision, but where it shows something the ref hasn't seen (like a dive), change the decision.

Refs seem scared or embarrassed. Rugby, tennis, cricket.... if they see something that was important but not originally seen, they're all comfortable with changing their decision.
Or even just get the referee to have another look himself, as they are actually allowed to do!

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea

This is where indirect freekicks in the box should be used. Would fix a lot of these inconsistencies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Norwich fans had the right idea with a "f**k var" chant today

BrownRecluse

Supports
Liverpool
If it were a united player this wouldn’t be an issue. It was an obvious penalty, and was called on field and confirmed. Take off the tinted glasses.

brian017

Or even just get the referee to have another look himself, as they are actually allowed to do!
I've never seen a ref going to watch the replay, they just go with whatever they hear in their ear. Very strange on how it's being implemented in the PL

OldSchoolManc

If the Liverpool penalty isn’t pointed out as a clear and obvious error, then there is clearly something wrong with the referees, implementation of VAR and the old boys club of referees looking after each other.
Mane Dived way after he was ‘allegedly’ touched. The way he went over was like he’d had his legs taken away from under him.
This cheating could and should be stopped, especially now they have someone watching replays.
It is literally a disgrace right now.

I've never seen a ref going to watch the replay, they just go with whatever they hear in their ear. Very strange on how it's being implemented in the PL
I'm convinced that the mentality of referees in this country has viewed the introduction of VAR as an insult to their profession. Somehow instead of viewing it as an opportunity to make their lives easier and reduce the abuse they get, they've went out of their way to make it as pointless as they can. Defies belief.

The bizarre thing to me is that it's kinda working out for them either way. A lot of people are angry at VAR, as if the referees/FA can't control the way it is implemented.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
And people still want VAR. fecking pisstake.
Why blame VAR as a concept when other iterations of it have avoided being this stupid? In other leagues a dive like would that would at least have warranted a second look, which would be VAR working perfectly. The issue is the stupidity of those who were tasked with designing the version of VAR used in the PL, who have come up with a worse version than every other league.

He'sRaldo

The bizarre thing to me is that it's kinda working out for them either way. A lot of people are angry at VAR, as if the referees/FA can't control the way it is implemented.
That's a good point. Ire should be directed at the people making these decisions as opposed to the technology itself.

Even though I'm not a fan of the technology personally.

UncleBob

VAR in a nutshell. If he doesn’t award it then VAR won’t overrule him, if he awards it then it won’t be overruled. Mint

R'hllor

Ah VAR system blame again, no lets give it all back in hands of that organization, the way how they doing it blatantly with VAR, imagine without it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I thought it was a foul to be honest
Even if it was a foul, does Mane's subsequent dive not at least warrant the referee having another look?

In relation to this particular thread, it is just another in a string of examples of a refusal to overturn or even have the referee reconsider subjective on-pitch decisions.

UncleBob

I thought it was a foul to be honest
thought it was far too minimal for it to be a pen, Mane moves the ball forward with his right leg after the contact and then went down. If there were much contact he would’ve gone straight down given the fact that the contact is on the back of his left leg. He uses that leg as support when he brings the ball forward with his right

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
They make it so complicated.

Rugby. Guy goes over, ref and touch judge both see him ground it so it's a try.

Guy goes over and officials don't have a clear viewing (slightly behind play, players in the way, etc) so can't be 100%, he goes to the TMO. He can then check all angles and make the right decision.

Football. Refs are pushed to make an initial decision (without all the info/angles) and VAR officials hide behind "clear and obvious".

There's no reason football can't have a rule allowing ref to say "I'm not sure, I'll use the technology to check". Biggest sport in the world and they're ruining it.