VAR - Not the hero we want, the one we need

acnumber9

If I wanted to watch a match where it stopped every 5 seconds, I'd watch the NFL

The state of it tonight, being used and stopping the flow of every football game
It promoted a hell of a lot of cheating tonight and totally detracted from the actual football.

Sigma

Again I’ll defend VAR, but this isn’t the problem of the tech, it’s the ref running off to look at a screen every five minutes. There needs to be rules about this.

I think the ref shouldn’t be running off the pitch to look himself, the decisions should be made by the video refs and they should make the call within a certain time limit.
Exactly, I don't understand how anyone doesn't comprehend this.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Again I’ll defend VAR, but this isn’t the problem of the tech, it’s the ref running off to look at a screen every five minutes. There needs to be rules about this.
By the tech, do you just mean watching a replay? That’s what var is, along with the ref watching it. THats never going to change, Be it a ref on the field or a ref in a room.

Edit: just seen your edit to add more

Red Stone

Yeah, the tech is perfectly fine. It's like any other perfectly functional tech - put it in the hands of morons and foul-ups will happen. If anyone was ever going to feck it up even with the help of technology, it was always going to be referees.

idmanager

I dont get it. Why not have a different VAR referee like the 3rd umpire in cricket. Ridiculous the referee's runs in the middle

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
VAR should only be allowed to challenge a Refs decision by the captain of a team like in Tennis. Then simply give each team 1 attempt and thats it. That way you won't have the Ref having to check VAR constantly and it adds a bit of strategy.

Red Stone

I dont get it. Why not have a different VAR referee like the 3rd umpire in cricket. Ridiculous the referee's runs in the middle
Ridiculous that the referee doesn't just go to the screen immediately instead of standing there scratching his arse for two minutes before having to check the screen anyway.

Dante

Average bang
That was on the ref, not VAR. If he's stupid enough to give the decision after a replay, he could have just as easily done it in real-time.

VAR won't make the job easier for refs. It's going to make it harder, because they won't be able to hide on big decisions anymore.

Baxter

To be fair, Sweden got almost exactly the same penalty against Korea. Least there is some consistency. :lol:

El Zoido

At least it’s exposing refs for being crap. He got 10 views of the Iran penalty and still got it wrong.

By the tech, do you just mean watching a replay? That’s what var is, along with the ref watching it. THats never going to change, Be it a ref on the field or a ref in a room.

Edit: just seen you edit to add more
How about we have three refs watching a panel independently, they watch quick replays of every issue and hit a button to say yes/no to a decision. If all three independently say yes, that’s what’s given. The ref should never go pitch side to look at a monitor.

acnumber9

That was on the ref, not VAR. If he's stupid enough to give the decision after a replay, he could have just as easily done it in real-time.

VAR won't make the job easier for refs. It's going to make it harder, because they won't be able to hide on big decisions anymore.
I don’t understand the defence of everything to do with VAR by some. The ref’s are part of it and always will be. The ref couldn’t give it if the VAR refs don’t refer it.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
At least it’s exposing refs for being crap. He got 10 views of the Iran penalty and still got it wrong.

How about we have three refs watching a panel independently, they watch quick replays of every issue and hit a button to say yes/no to a decision. If all three independently say yes, that’s what’s given. The ref should never go pitch side to look at a monitor.
Ooooh, this could have legs.

Greck

VAR should only be allowed to challenge a Refs decision by the captain of a team like in Tennis. Then simply give each team 1 attempt and thats it. That way you won't have the Ref having to check VAR constantly and it adds a bit of strategy.
Way too restrictive. It's done more good than harm in this WC and it's still only in its infancy. All laws/rules/methods need a sizable usage sample that will serve as a basis for its finetuning. This is only the beginning and there are some kinks to iron out

Super_Mario

In fairness to the refs “deliberate handball” is left to the interpretation of the ref. There is no direct guidance in the rules.
Imagine the conversation between all the assistants watching the VAR screens and the referee. All will have their own interpretation of the handball.
You need absolute clarity in the laws or this will continue to happen.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Feck knows how he gives that pen for Iran. Hard to tell if it even touches the guys hand, let alone it being a meaningful touch or an intentional touch. Ronaldo's pen was blatant, Ronaldo's "red card review" I have no idea why they even needed it to be reviewed as it's not even worthy of a yellow. Ref completely lost control in that game basically.

Spain game ref got it right though for the goal.

Well that was a bad advertisement for VAR. It's only going to get worse as we get deeper into the world cup as well I'd imagine
Hopefully some of the shite refs will have gone by then.

FIFA so desperate to pick refs from as many countries as possible.

And please start fecking booking players who make a VAR motion! :mad:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Way too restrictive. It's done more good than harm in this WC and it's still only in its infancy. All laws/rules/methods need a sizable usage sample that will serve as a basis for its finetuning
VAR in this Tournament simply doesn't work. It's caused utter chaos in both of tonights games. The hilarious thing about it is that the Refs then don't even add minutes on into injury time for the amount of time they've wasted checking VAR.

It was a farce tonight and it'll only get worse as the stakes get bigger.

Wayne's World

That should be the end of it. It takes away the emotion and isn't clear when giving the right decision

In what mind could he possibly give the penalty to Iran at the end for a deliberate handball? Poor ref yes but it's made a mockery of the game

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don’t understand the defence of everything to do with VAR by some. The ref’s are part of it and always will be. The ref couldn’t give it if the VAR refs don’t refer it.
Refs are certainly part of it, just as they are without VAR.

VAR by definition makes it more likely that they make the right call though (as long as we assume they are more competent than incompetent) as it gives them better information to work off.

That can't help a referee who is determined to be incompetent though.

Infra-red

Fifa have dropped the ball (no pun intended) by not training these referees properly in the use of a very simple piece of technology, technology that guarantees more correct decisions and fewer wrong decisions/missed incidents.

Yik

With VAR in place at least one penalty per game is guaranteed now. The stonewall ones are always going to be caught with VAR and anything that marginally looks like a foul in the box has to be called a penalty now too. Not sure this is a good development for football.

I guess fouls always took place in the box but a lot of the times ref would just let the 50-50 ones go or give them as being outside the box. The rules may have to be changed to make its so its only a penalty if its a clear goal scoring oppurtunity denied. Otherwise with VAR, football will become a penalty fest. NObody wants to see that.

montpelier

Portugal defender did bat the ball away with his hand.

50 - 50 for me, depending how you view the handball rule. I don't think I would but ref obviously went the other way.

VAR a bit too active there maybe, but you do get games like that when there isn't any 'help' for the ref.

Red Stone

I like this idea, but I'd say the majority vote should swing it. It shouldn't be possible for one guy to decide the outcome by voting no.

Sigma

That should be the end of it. It takes away the emotion and isn't clear when giving the right decision

In what mind could he possibly give the penalty to Iran at the end for a deliberate handball? Poor ref yes but it's made a mockery of the game
Yeah, the Iran vs Portugal game was emotionless :lol:

In fairness to the refs “deliberate handball” is left to the interpretation of the ref. There is no direct guidance in the rules.
Imagine the conversation between all the assistants watching the VAR screens and the referee. All will have their own interpretation of the handball.
You need absolute clarity in the laws or this will continue to happen.
Yeah but if a player heads it into another players arm from inches away and the defender isn't moving his arm in an unnatural way/direction, a ref (any ref) should be saying no handball.

That wasn't a VAR issue, it's a ref who doesn't understand handball. If Iran had scored again and Portugal gone out..... :eek:

R'hllor

This is just pure gold now :lol:. You could see that tonights ref looked so lost, he was shitting bricks, i am surprised it wasnt even bigger shit show.

Bobski

VAR is a distraction at this point, Fifa/Uefa, every governing body have to discuss the level of officiating. It is dreadful.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

That would/could work better than this mess at the moment. It’s a shambles imo and I can see as we get deeper into the tournament and the pressure gets higher we are going to be stop starting and checking every little thing more and more and on past evidence still not calling it right.

Infra-red

In the wrong way. Players feeling like their cheated. It's becoming a cancer to the game and it has to be abolished
The linesman in the Spain-Morocco game incorrectly ruled-out Spain's goal for offside (a decision that was later corrected by VAR). Linesmen are becoming a cancer to the game and should be abolished!

PepG

Supports
Ajax
VAR is pointless until the main referee has the last call for the decisions. How is possible the referee today to give only a yellow card to Ronaldo when 5 other people in a room full with tv replays have called him to give red?! The absolute state of this..

Bobski

With VAR in place at least one penalty per game is guaranteed now. The stonewall ones are always going to be caught with VAR and anything that marginally looks like a foul in the box has to be called a penalty now too. Not sure this is a good development for football.

I guess fouls always took place in the box but a lot of the times ref would just let the 50-50 ones go or give them as being outside the box. The rules may have to be changed to make its so its only a penalty if its a clear goal scoring oppurtunity denied. Otherwise with VAR, football will become a penalty fest. NObody wants to see that.
This, we are in danger of critically changing the balance of the game. Already hard enough to be a defender with modern rules but if every contact that in the past would just be waved as a play on now risks a pen. Slow motion replays makes most contact look far more dramatic than it actually is.

Wayne's World

The linesman in the Spain-Morocco game incorrectly ruled-out Spain's goal for offside (a decision that was later corrected by VAR). Linesmen are becoming a cancer to the game and should be abolished!
I don't mind VAR being used If used properly in relation to offside goals but when your using it for every little bit of contact in the box and for red card decisions then it's going to constantly stop and start games. Look for an example, when Ronaldo got a yellow card instead of red, half the people thought it was a red and half thought it was a yellow. It's not going to cancel out right and wrongs because everyone has an opinion.

It should be left to the refs to decide, but they have to improve their officiating too

Greck

VAR in this Tournament simply doesn't work. It's caused utter chaos in both of tonights games. The hilarious thing about it is that the Refs then don't even add minutes on into injury time for the amount of time they've wasted checking VAR.

It was a farce tonight and it'll only get worse as the stakes get bigger.
Disagree on it not working so far. The decision in the Spain game wasn't really controversial. Those Moroccan players were protesting a replay they hadn't even seen. I think it helped make the right decision. Spain's goal would have been wrongly ruled offside if not for VAR