UEFA Champions League, Group B

19:45 GMT
Tuesday 8th December
Volkswagen Arena, Wolfsburg
Sky Sports

Permutations
-If Manchester United do not lose, Manchester United win the group
-If CSKA Moscow defeat Besiktas, Manchester United win the group
-If Manchester United lose by exactly one goal, and score two goals or more, Manchester United win the group
-If Wolfsburg win 1-0, 2-1, or by two clear goals or more, and CSKA Moscow do not win, Wolfsburg win the group

MUFCgal

-------------------PIG------------------
----------ANYBODY'S GUESS-------------
Obertan----Gibson----Anderson------Nani
------------Berbatov--Owen-------------

Subs: Foster, Chester, Scholes, Tosic, Park, Welbeck, Macheda.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Team should be...

GK: VDS

RB: Fletcher
CB: Brown
CB: Vidic
LB: Evra

CM: Carrick
CM: Scholes
CM: Anderson

RW: Valencia
CF: Rooney
LW: Park

Subs: PIG, De Laet, Gibson, Giggs, Nani, Owen, Berbatov

Park the bus and hold out for a 0-0

Great Hat

Team should be...

GK: VDS

RB: Fletcher
CB: Brown
CB: Vidic
LB: Evra

CM: Carrick
CM: Scholes
CM: Anderson

RW: Valencia
CF: Rooney
LW: Park

Subs: PIG, De Laet, Gibson, Giggs, Nani, Owen, Berbatov

Park the bus and hold out for a 0-0
I'd say that's a pretty fair estimate for the side, except for I think Berbatov might get a place in the starting XI after he was rested today; and Wes came off with a knock today, so I'm not sure he'll be fit for tuesday (if not, I could see them drafting Cathcart in, perhaps).

We shouldn't hold out for a 0-0 though. With Dzeko, Grafite and Martins in attack, Wolfsburg usually play quite attackingly, and are bound to create chances. I doubt we can go there expecting not to concede. I think we should play a 4-5-1, but possibly shift the wingers up to play in a more forward role, or switch to a 4-4-2 if we go behind or struggle to make chances, personally.

MUFCgal

I'd say that's a pretty fair estimate for the side, except for I think Berbatov might get a place in the starting XI after he was rested today; and Wes came off with a knock today, so I'm not sure he'll be fit for tuesday (if not, I could see them drafting Cathcart in, perhaps).

We shouldn't hold out for a 0-0 though. With Dzeko, Grafite and Martins in attack, Wolfsburg usually play quite attackingly, and are bound to create chances. I doubt we can go there expecting not to concede. I think we should play a 4-5-1, but possibly shift the wingers up to play in a more forward role, or switch to a 4-4-2 if we go behind or struggle to make chances, personally.
Plus I don't think De Laet is registered for CL so he can't have a place on the bench. That's why I've tipped Chester for the bench possibly.

Great Hat

Plus I don't think De Laet is registered for CL so he can't have a place on the bench. That's why I've tipped Chester for the bench possibly.
Yeah I'd forgotten that. Still, Chester's only made one sub appearance for the first team. Do you reckon, even if we're short on options, that he'd be drafted in for an important European fixture?

Not sure who else with more experience there would be to bring in, though.

I reckon we'll see Owen at some point tuesday. He's been an unused sub in a few games recently; and hasn't had a start since Everton.

MUFCgal

Yeah I'd forgotten that. Still, Chester's only made one sub appearance for the first team. Do you reckon, even if we're short on options, that he'd be drafted in for an important European fixture?

Not sure who else with more experience there would be to bring in, though.

I reckon we'll see Owen at some point tuesday. He's been an unused sub in a few games recently; and hasn't had a start since Everton.
I don't think we'll have any other choice, for defensive cover we may need a young lad on the bench. Owen should start, as should Berbatov. Both are in need of some minutes on the pitch.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
James Chester is still out injured with a knee injury so it's more likely Corry Evans will be the only defensive cover available on the bench.

Man-United

I hope to see the youngsters again. The Villa game is much more important.

Northstand

Why on earth would we park the bus?

1) We're qualified
2) The defence is fecked.

Attack.
Oh, and 3) We're Manchester United
Well said, that man!

Some of our attacking play today was brilliant, and great to see Scholesy control the game as only he can. I'm sure, as you say, that Fergie will be looking to play an attacking game in Germany.

jrsenior

-------------Pig-----------------
fletcher--Carrick--Evra--Giggs
----Scholes------Anderson----
Valencia--------------Nani
-----Berbatov----Owen-------

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I think we´ll get fit some defenders for Tuesday BUT if no Rio, Vidic, Brown, J.Evans, Neville, O´Shea, Rafael and Fabio...................

Starting XI: ------------ Kuszczak -----------------------
Fletcher ------ Carrick -------------- C.Evans ------- Evra
- Park -------- Gibson -------------- Anderson ------ Nani
--------------- Owen -------------- Berbatov ------------

Bench: Foster, Rooney (CB cover), Scholes, Valencia, Obertan, Welbeck, Macheda

We must attack to help the defence!!!

AttackingFlair

Surely Rooney is starting this one if he was taken off just after his goal? Berbatov may well play too after he played some minutes midweek and for a bit against West Ham.. but then again it is away in Europe and Fergie has even been using the 433 in league matches so who knows.

Alex

I seem to concur, I reckon Rooney will start as well

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
The 2 teams we might wanna avoid meeting are Real Madrid and Barcelona. But then again, they might finish second to Milan and Inter, respectively. So, I say it doesnt matter that hugely if we finish top or second.

Longlivekeano

------------------------Kuzczak----------------------

--Fletcher-------Brown--------Vidic-------------Evra--

--Park J S-------Gibson------Anderson--------Obertan--

-----------------Macheda------Owen--------------------

Subs: Foster, Nani, Rooney, Berbatov, Giggs, Carrick, Welbeck
Prediction:1-1 draw. Macheda

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Another potential game for some Gibson-Anderson pairing.

Great Hat

Another potential game for some Gibson-Anderson pairing.
Hmm. I reckon Gibson might get a sub appearance, but I'd be surprised if he started in Germany; though his confidence is high, and if he can provide another class finish like on Saturday or against Spurs, then... :D

He and Ando have looked good together, and linked up well when they've both been on, so I reckon we might well see it at some point during the game, but I'd be quite surprised to see Gibson get another start again (not to say he doesn't deserve more playing time).

Rotation, rotation, rotation. :angel:

Btw, does anyone reckon Macheda might start? He's not looked revelatory in his brief appearances so far this season, but Fergie has brought him on in a few quite big fixtures, so I think it's definitely possible. I do think he'd be more likely used as a sub as quite a few posters in this thread have suggested though.

Great Hat

we are going to win guys!
I certainly hope we'll get at least a point. We could have had the group sewn up with just two points from Besiktas and CSKA at home, so it won't be much good for confidence (and the second round draw) if we lose the group from a five point lead.

Victory would be a good boost, but not vital. If we lose the top spot and 14 game run there, I'd be pretty pissed off tbf.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I reckon we'll see:

Kuszczak
Fletcher Carrick Vidic DeLaet
Gibson Scholes
Park --- Anderson --- Nani
Berbatov​

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I reckon we'll see:

Kuszczak
Fletcher Carrick Vidic DeLaet
Gibson Scholes
Park --- Anderson --- Nani
Berbatov​
No chance.

On a side note..we top the group even if we lose 1-0 and CSKA Moscow beat Besiktas?

prateik

scholes suspended for the villa game , has to play this one .
decent chance for gibson again .. almost certain to start in the middle

hope owen gets a game
cant come up with a team for this one ..
welbeck,kiko,nani,park,obertan,owen .. too many players .. too few positions :mad:

Hans Moleman

Courtesy of Ben Hibbs (who is travelling with the squad). Vidic hasn't travelled. Eikrem, Gill, Matt James all checked in so far.

Hans Moleman

Squad: Foster Ku'zak evra gill obertan eikrem scholes gibson Valencia carrick James owen fletch park Ando stewart nani norwood welbeck owen

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
No Vidic? are we going to have to play Gibson and Carrick at CB so?
Yikes.

kundalini

No Vidic? are we going to have to play Gibson and Carrick at CB so?
Yikes.
How about Carrick + Fletcher with Valencia at right back? Or perhaps Park at right back?

If that travelling squad is correct then we have no obvious target man, our defensive midfield players are going to be playing in defence and we'll be left hoping Gibson can blast about 6 in just to get a draw.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
So no Rooney, Berbatov, Giggs, Macheda and two Michael Owens. Sounds legit to me.
The guy is at an airport trying to jot down every player he sees. He's not going to get it 100% right. I would not expect Rooney or Giggs to travel, although I would expect macheda and Berbatov to do so.

kundalini

Kuszczak

Valencia
Evra
Fletcher
Carrick

Gibson
Anderson
Park

Obertan
Owen
Nani

---
Subs to use:

Scholes for Gibson when he's exhausted
Welbeck for Owen

By the way, the Manchester Evening News have us down with a 19 man travelling squad while Ben Hibbs' list is 20 including 2 Owens so that would seem to suggest that we are only using the names mentioned by Ben Hibbs. The MEN doesn't list all 19 but it does name the same youngsters and says Berbatov and Rooney have been left in Manchester.