VfL Wolfsburg Vs. Manchester United

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Wolfsburg will be at it, they have a chance of making the second round and they will want to take it. I doubt CSKA win in Instanbul so even a draw would do for Wolfsburg.

Hans Moleman

Gill is a centre back, right? Chuck him in.

I've never seen the big deal about top spot, you're gunna have to beat the best at some stage anyway. Obviously you'd like to get the first knockout game done and dusted to get some momentum up and get the confidence rolling, but it's not the be all and end all. Bring on the big guns, we're up for the fight.

datura

Gill can play centre back or left back, Matt James has played centre back for the reserves and Academy also, and Cameron Stewart can cover either full back role.

I wonder if Macheda is still eligible for the Youth Cup game on Thursday?

Great experience for the younger lads and hopefully they are not overawed if they are involved at some stage.

Amir

I wouldn't mind if a couple of the younger players who can play at the back get to start, rather than fielding a back four of Evra + three midfielders.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Ben Hibbs is an official United journalist, he works on the Man Utd website (just look at most of the articles, they're by him), he's travelling with the squad and updating via twitter.

Ben Hibbs (BenHibbs) on Twitter
The guy is at an airport trying to jot down every player he sees. He's not going to get it 100% right. I would not expect Rooney or Giggs to travel, although I would expect macheda and Berbatov to do so.
:lol: Sorry i had no idea that was from someone at the club, thought it was someone's guess. The text speak and all that.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
The full squad: Ben Foster, Gabriel Obertan, Magnus Eikrem, Paul Scholes, Darron Gibson, Antonio Valencia, Oliver Gill, Michael Carrick, Matty James, Michael Owen, Darren Fletcher, Danny Welbeck, Ji-sung Park, Anderson, Patrice Evra, Cameron Stewart, Tomasz Kuszczak, Nani, Oliver Norwood.

So i'd guess

PIG

Fletcher
Carrick
Gill
Evra

Park
Gibson
Scholes
Nani

Owen
Welbeck

prateik

the full travelling squad is as follows, in no particular order: Ben Foster, Gabriel Obertan, Magnus Eikrem, Paul Scholes, Darron Gibson, Antonio Valencia, Oliver Gill, Michael Carrick, Matty James, Michael Owen, Darren Fletcher, Danny Welbeck, Ji-sung Park, Anderson, Patrice Evra, Cameron Stewart, Tomasz Kuszczak, Nani, Oliver Norwood.

official site .. hibbs there too

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Macheda must be injured. Surprised Berba is not going.
Hate that we are looking for another 90 mins from Fletcher and Evra. We need those guys to have a full tank for the Villa game.

Going to be difficult to get the draw we need in this game with the defensive problems, but still enough quality to get a goal or two ourselves.

Havak

Pokemon master
Even if we lose 15-0 and CSKA beat Besiktas, we top the group.
Um, no?

Wolfsburg have an aggregate score of 4-3 against CSKA Moskow in their favour, with both teams on seven points. Both teams have scored the same amount, but Wolfsburg have conceded less, but due to the aggregate score none of that matters anyway.

If Wolfsburg manage to beat us by a score of 2-1 or greater, they top the group (I think even 1-0 will do). CSKA Moskow just can't overtake us because they can only reach 10 points (our current total) and we have an aggregate score of 4-3 against them in our favour as well.

Actually, now that I think about it, all Wolfsburg have to do to finish top of this group is beat our very weakened side. They've scored one more goal than us thus far, and conceded the same. A 1-0 win puts our aggregate at 2-2 with them having scored more goals than us, thus they'd finish top, right? If not, and it's just straight up head-to-head with away goals not mattering, a 2-1 or better still seals it for them.

If two or more teams are level on points they are split by (a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question, (b) superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question (c) higher number of goals scored away from home the group matches played among the teams in question (d) superior goal difference from all matches played, (e) higher number of goals scored, (f) higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as their association, over the previous five seasons.
So, if Wolfsburg win (let's say 1-0) it'd be:

a) Man Utd 3-3 Wolfsburg
b) Man Utd 2-2 Wolfsburg
c) Man Utd 0-1 Wolfsburg

And Wolfsburg would take top spot. Sucks, so we really need to not lose, hopefully win.

(Yes I just went through all that effort to make sure when it'll hardly make a difference anyway.. I was bored)

So, ideally, we just don't want to lose in Germany and that sees us through. Wolfsburg will be going for it with all they have, as winning is the only way they can be 100% sure of qualification. Beşiktaş will give CSKA Moskow a game though, as if they beat them by a scoreline that meets the criteria, they can steal third place and make the Europa League.

As for the team, Fletcher and Carrick will most likely be moved into the defence, while a kid will be dumped in at centreback (whoever's been most promising recently), Evra stays. Pretty sure Gibson, Anderson, and Scholes will all start as I reckon a 433 is something Fergie would like to play with all these issues at the back. Could be reasoning for Park to play, as well as Welbeck and maybe Owen.

Kuszczak
Fletcher Carrick Gill Evra
Gibson Scholes Anderson
Ji-Sung Park Owen Welbeck
--
Foster; James, Eikrem, Norwood/Stewart; Valencia, Nani, Obertan​

Or, for a bit more pace and penetration down the flanks:

Kuszczak
Gibson Scholes Anderson
Valencia Owen Nani
--
Foster; James, Eikrem, Norwood/Stewart; Park, Obertan; Welbeck​

This would allow us to start more on the front foot IMO, while giving us the option of either protecting what we have with Park coming on, or going for it as we'd have the option to replace a winger, and bring on a big front man for either Owen or a midfielder.

Either way, got a feeling we won't win the match.

RonaldoVII

Um, no?

Wolfsburg have an aggregate score of 4-3 against CSKA Moskow in their favour, with both teams on seven points. Both teams have scored the same amount, but Wolfsburg have conceded less, but due to the aggregate score none of that matters anyway.

If Wolfsburg manage to beat us by a score of 2-1 or greater, they top the group (I think even 1-0 will do). CSKA Moskow just can't overtake us because they can only reach 10 points (our current total) and we have an aggregate score of 4-3 against them in our favour as well.

Actually, now that I think about it, all Wolfsburg have to do to finish top of this group is beat our very weakened side. They've scored one more goal than us thus far, and conceded the same. A 1-0 win puts our aggregate at 2-2 with them having scored more goals than us, thus they'd finish top, right? If not, and it's just straight up head-to-head with away goals not mattering, a 2-1 or better still seals it for them.

So, if Wolfsburg win (let's say 1-0) it'd be:

a) Man Utd 3-3 Wolfsburg
b) Man Utd 2-2 Wolfsburg
c) Man Utd 0-1 Wolfsburg

And Wolfsburg would take top spot. Sucks, so we really need to not lose, hopefully win.

(Yes I just went through all that effort to make sure when it'll hardly make a difference anyway.. I was bored)

So, ideally, we just don't want to lose in Germany and that sees us through. Wolfsburg will be going for it with all they have, as winning is the only way they can be 100% sure of qualification. Beşiktaş will give CSKA Moskow a game though, as if they beat them by a scoreline that meets the criteria, they can steal third place and make the Europa League.

As for the team, Fletcher and Carrick will most likely be moved into the defence, while a kid will be dumped in at centreback (whoever's been most promising recently), Evra stays. Pretty sure Gibson, Anderson, and Scholes will all start as I reckon a 433 is something Fergie would like to play with all these issues at the back. Could be reasoning for Park to play, as well as Welbeck and maybe Owen.

Kuszczak
Gibson Scholes Anderson
Ji-Sung Park Owen Welbeck
--
Foster; James, Eikrem, Norwood/Stewart; Valencia, Nani, Obertan​

Or, for a bit more pace and penetration down the flanks:

Kuszczak
Gibson Scholes Anderson
Valencia Owen Nani
--
Foster; James, Eikrem, Norwood/Stewart; Park, Obertan; Welbeck​

This would allow us to start more on the front foot IMO, while giving us the option of either protecting what we have with Park coming on, or going for it as we'd have the option to replace a winger, and bring on a big front man for either Owen or a midfielder.

Either way, got a feeling we won't win the match.
Wrong :smirk:

If two or more teams are level on points they are split by (a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question, (b) superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question (c) higher number of goals scored away from home the group matches played among the teams in question (d) superior goal difference from all matches played, (e) higher number of goals scored, (f) higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as their association, over the previous five seasons.
Wolfsburg can beat us 10-0 and, if CSKA beat Besiktas by 1-0, we top the group as we would have gotten more points in the games against Wolfsburg and CSKA than they would have.

If Wolfsburg beat us 10-0 and CSKA beat Besiktas 1-0, the group would look like this:

P W D L F A GD PTS
1 Man Utd 5 3 1 1 7 15 -8 10
2 Wolfsburg 6 3 1 2 18 5 13 10
3 CSKA Moscow 6 3 1 2 9 9 0 10
4 Besiktas 5 1 1 3 2 6 -4 4

with the results between the top 3 teams:

united 2-1 wolfsburg
united 3-3 cska
cska 0-1 united
wolfsburg 10-0 united
cksa 2-1 wolfsburg
wolfsburg 3-1 cska

So, disregarding Besiktas (as that is how the teams are decided), United would have 7 points, Wolfsburg would have 6 points and CSKA would have 4 points. So we would top the group, Wolfsburg through in 2nd and CSKA into the Europa League.

:cool:

Suedesi

Wayne Rooney, Ryan Giggs, Dimitar Berbatov and Federico Macheda were all also left behind with one eye on this weekend’s Premier League clash with Aston Villa.

WTF, are we going for second in the group?

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Wayne Rooney, Ryan Giggs, Dimitar Berbatov and Federico Macheda were all also left behind with one eye on this weekend’s Premier League clash with Aston Villa.

Fergie wants a crack at Barcelona in the next round.

Really though, If we don't top the group it'll be because we lost to Besiktas. Wolfsburg away was always going to be tricky, no matter how strong a team we put out. And we do have to consider the importance of the Villa game to our PL hopes.
The players we put out against Besiktas let themselves down, and if we do meet Barca in the next then we'll just have to get on with it. Better that than the Europa League like certain other teams.

Hans Moleman

Code:
              Kuszczak
   Park  Fletcher  Carrick  Evra
Valencia Gibson Scholes Anderson Nani
                Owen

championo

Top Stalker
So Kiko is now a top player or what? What is the reason for leaving him behind? Or is it to torment Villa? lol

Decotron

Id say Kiko isnt registered.

My team.........

------------------Tomasz Kuszczak-------------------

--Darren Fletcher--Michael Carrick--Patrice Evra--Ji-sung Park

--Antonio Valencia--Darron Gibson--Scholes--Anderson

--------------Michael Owen--Danny Welbeck------------

As mentioned in another thread thread Gibson isnt very good in the air and doesnt exactly compliment Carrick so I reckon Evra will defo start in the middle. His pace will be needed. Park played left back for PSV in a few big matches.

championo

Top Stalker
Kiko is registered, I guess SAF rates him very highly or he is carrying a knock.
I believe we could have still added him even if he was not registered as he is our "product"

Decotron

Kiko is registered, I guess SAF rates him very highly or he is carrying a knock. No other explanation since he just signed a new contract imo.
I believe we could have still added him even if he was not registered as he is our "product"
Eh? Hope you dont live in Rome with a comment like that!!!! :angel:

He isnt here 3 years so doesnt fall into that category.

prateik

it has to be 2 years at the club and under 21
kiko officially joined in sept 07(wiki) so he wouldnt have completed 2 years at the time of registration

championo

Top Stalker
Eh? Hope you dont live in Rome with a comment like that!!!! :angel:

He isnt here 3 years so doesnt fall into that category.
Conditions for registration: List B
17.15 Each club is entitled to register an unlimited number of players on List B
during the season. The list must be submitted by no later than 24.00 CET on
the day before the match in question.
17.16 A player may be registered on List B if he is born on or after 1 January 1987
and has been eligible to play for the club concerned for any uninterrupted
period of two years since his 15th birthday by the time he is registered with
UEFA. Players aged 16 may be registered on List B if they have been
registered with the participating club for the previous two years without
interruption.
Maybe I have a comprehension problem, but Kiko was a Manchester United player in Sep 2007, we are in Dec 2009. That is two years no? Where did you get your three years idea from?

To Prateik, the key words are during the season and before a particular match.

cj_sparky

I think Macheda may be involved with the youth team in the youth cup.

Decotron

Ah ok so I stand corrected, its 2 years rather than 3.

Although it doesnt matter as Kiko is registered already. Youth team play on thursday night although its a while since Kiko gained anything by playing at that level, nevermind the reserves.

Tibs

Hopefully Nani will get 90 minutes

Random: I met Macheda last night briefly

yamo123x

Gill can play centre back or left back, Matt James has played centre back for the reserves and Academy also, and Cameron Stewart can cover either full back role.I wonder if Macheda is still eligible for the Youth Cup game on Thursday?

Great experience for the younger lads and hopefully they are not overawed if they are involved at some stage.

gash !:nono:

yamo123x

More gash !

Hans Moleman

"Rio - no planned return. O'Shea and Evans out till New Year. Rooney and Berbatov injured (not rested) and doubtful for Saturday"

Tibs

This isn't an injury crisis

An injury crisis is where one of your strikers
is missing, and maybe a midfielder.

We will win tomorrow

Man Utd Squad
Foster, Kuszczak; Evra, Gill; Carrick, Scholes, Gibson, Fletcher, Anderson, Eikrem, James, Valencia, Obertan, Park, Nani, Stewart, Norwood; Owen, Welbeck

Starting 11

----------Kuszczak--------
---------------------------
-Fletcher-Carrick-Gill-Evra--
---------------------------
---Gibson-Scholes-Anderson-
Valencia----------------Park
------------Owen----------

Subs
Foster
James
Eikrem
Norwood
Obertan
Nani
Welbeck

Might see something like this. Kuszczak stays in goal obviously. We will need height in central defence so Carrick and Gill might be a partnership with Fletcher and Evra at full back. I expect us to protect our defence with a 5 man midfield. 3 in the centre and 2 wingers. I suspect Park will also start to work hard down the left flank. Owen will no doubt be isolated so the midfield will need to push up and support him.

Attack will have to be the best form of defence because the back is a shambles at the moment.