Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMike

If that makes you satisfied, I am happy for you. For me however, the club is average, especially when you put the enormous spendings in relation to the results.
Mental. It's not like the spendings were made from money generated by stealing from orphans, drug trafficking and slavery. It's money made from being successful in football, so why would you hold it against the club?

You wouldn't call Microsoft an average business because a bunch of businesses performed better than Microsoft from an ROI perspective for a few years. So why would you do the same with United?

el3mel

It's simply incorrect to call the club average.

That said, I don't think that Mourinho is helping his confidence, or any of the defenders for that matter.

What we saw from Lindelof last night was clear signs of him being out of his depth. He didn't make that awful back because he is technically poor, he made it because he came on in a difficult moment and he was afraid.

Ominous signs.
Tbf we have only finished once in top 3 in last 5 years. Not a big mistake calling us average.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I believe he's the worst defender i've ever seen play for United in a Premier League match. His positioning is terrible, he's fairly slow, not intelligent, and clearly isn't very good at passing. If he ever plays for United again I can only imagine it's because there's not a single other option or we just don't give a fucc.
Worst? Google “William Prunier man utd”. That fella was pretty bad, albeit he was on loan so somewhat different to Lindelof.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
What a waste of 30m quid. I know that's 'nothing', relatively speaking, in football these days. But still, in absolute terms, it's beyond mental. Think of how much butter you could buy for £30m.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why we spent 35m (+10m on bonuses) for him and sold Blind for half of that money? Blind is better in pretty much everything, despite having the same weaknesses (slow and relatively weak).

gza the genius

I thought he actually played alright against Leciester, unfortunately he got roped in with Bailly's incredibly terrible performance and got dropped for it. I'm sure his confidence is low and then he gets subbed in when we're already two goals down. The back pass was terrible but they didn't capitalize from it at least. He's not nearly as bad as everyone is making him out to be, he just needs a run of games beside someone who can give him some direction.

A-man

It's simply incorrect to call the club average.

That said, I don't think that Mourinho is helping his confidence, or any of the defenders for that matter.

What we saw from Lindelof last night was clear signs of him being out of his depth. He didn't make that awful back because he is technically poor, he made it because he came on in a difficult moment and he was afraid.

Ominous signs.
I am sorry if I came out rude, that wasn’t my intention. However for me, the performance of United has been very average the last years. Some success last year with second place however miles away from the title. Some international success two years ago with Europe league title however everybody knows that is the second division of international football. I would call the results average. Anyway, that was not the point, the point was that the club seem incapable of taking care of the talents of both star players and young players. That is a problem.

Mental. It's not like the spendings were made from money generated by stealing from orphans, drug trafficking and slavery. It's money made from being successful in football, so why would you hold it against the club?

You wouldn't call Microsoft an average business because a bunch of businesses performed better than Microsoft from an ROI perspective for a few years. So why would you do the same with United?
It’s not from a ROI point of view, United have average results. Simple as that. But they are second in the world, or third, at salaries. That fact points at a problem.

MadMike

I thought he actually played alright against Leciester, unfortunately he got roped in with Bailly's incredibly terrible performance and got dropped for it. I'm sure his confidence is low and then he gets subbed in when we're already two goals down. The back pass was terrible but they didn't capitalize from it at least. He's not nearly as bad as everyone is making him out to be, he just needs a run of games beside someone who can give him some direction.
You seem to be forgetting that he followed up nearly gifting a goal from the assist/backpass to Dele Alli, with completely losing Kane from the resulting corner and falling backwards while allowing him a free header from 5 yards out. He gifted two easy-as-you-come goal scoring chances in the space of minutes and he was only on the pitch for 30 mins yesterday.

He didn't have any positive influence either. That's quite a shambolic cameo for a defender.

MadMike

It’s not from a ROI point of view, United have average results. Simple as that. But they are second in the world, or third, at salaries. That fact points at a problem.
Average results. 4 finals in the last 3 years (with 3 wins) and consistently being at the top end of the table is average? Are you being deliberately obtuse, or do you simply not know what average means?

Crashoutcassius

He should go on loan somewhere to settle in the league and grow confidence. There must be an arragement with some club that he could go and play. If he played consistently for a year he would be fine.

Cloud7

I will say this, I am yet to see his passing and ability on the ball that is supposed to be his strong point. Just because he doesn’t immediately hoof the ball upfield like our other defenders, doesn’t make him good on the ball.

Good on the ball is defined as players like Ramos, Hummels, even the much maligned David Luiz, players who actually do something constructive in possession. Those are players who are good on the ball. All Lindelof does is look for an easy pass near him to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible instead of punting it long.

gza the genius

You seem to be forgetting that he followed up nearly gifting a goal from the assist/backpass to Dele Alli, with completely losing Kane from the resulting corner and falling backwards while allowing him a free header from 5 yards out. He gifted two easy-as-you-come goal scoring chances in the space of minutes and he was only on the pitch for 30 mins yesterday.

He didn't have any positive influence either. That's quite a shambolic cameo for a defender.
He clearly has confidence issues, he got a ton of slack and was dropped for Leicester when it was mainly shambolic from Bailly, I'm just guessing that was part of his problem yesterday.

A-man

Average results. 4 finals in the last 3 years (with 3 wins) and consistently being at the top end of the table is average? Are you being deliberately obtuse, or do you simply not know what average means?
It is very average to me. You know that Europe league is for the teams which are too poor for the CL, right? But this debate is meaningless. United have performed average to me, and amazingly to you. I can live with that.

Classical Mechanic

Tbf we have only finished once in top 3 in last 5 years. Not a big mistake calling us average.
It is very average to me. You know that Europe league is for the teams which are too poor for the CL, right? But this debate is meaningless. United have performed average to me, and amazingly to you. I can live with that.
If you want to say that United have been average at the elite level then I have no issue with that. To call the club 'average' with nothing more to qualify that statement is just completely incorrect.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That moment where he powder puffed that backpass, that should have resulted in Alli scoring was shocking.
Almost as bad as letting Kane have a free header about 2 yards out.

Massive massive mistake of a signing, when you can't do the basics, which in England has to include heading it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

He's a Manchester United centre back. He should cut it on his own, rather than get the Jonny Evans treatment where he only looks remotely ok when next to an all time great.

A-man

If you want to say that United have been average at the elite level then I have no issue with that. To call the club 'average' with nothing more to qualify that statement is just completely incorrect.
I don’t mean average compared to all clubs in the world. It is compared to where the club want to be. Yes top 30 in the world maybe but for me that is average. Again, I wrote it to point at the problem with the club not being able to take care of players.

Classical Mechanic

I don’t mean average compared to all clubs in the world. It is compared to where the club want to be. Yes top 30 in the world maybe but for me that is average. Again, I wrote it to point at the problem with the club not being able to take care of players.
We're actually ranked 12th in Europe by UEFA based on our European performance over the last 5 seasons.

el3mel

Think that's what he means ( and what I think so too ) not that we became a midtable club but I'm not him so can only speak about myself.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I'd partially blame him for the 3rd goal too. Instead of sprinting to get around to cover the space to Smallings left. He jogs and looks back twice at Kane who has two other United players close by. Then he runs a bit and thinks Smalling has won it and stops, if he goes full sprint he gets around on the cover. Like Valencia does on the other side. Terrible defender.

Alabaster Codify7

I will say this, I am yet to see his passing and ability on the ball that is supposed to be his strong point. Just because he doesn’t immediately hoof the ball upfield like our other defenders, doesn’t make him good on the ball.

Good on the ball is defined as players like Ramos, Hummels, even the much maligned David Luiz, players who actually do something constructive in possession. Those are players who are good on the ball. All Lindelof does is look for an easy pass near him to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible instead of punting it long.

Yep.
He does nothing but the basics on the ball, which any of our other CBs also do. With the difference being that unlike our other CBs he's a nervous wreck who seems to lose every physical battle he reluctantly enters.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
If I was a manager and I had a defender who passed it back like that he would never play again, or at least until I was sure his attitude had improved. Just so incredibly lackadaisical, I get that he's meant to be a calm presence in the backline but that was just utterly careless.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If I was a manager and I had a defender who passed it back like that he would never play again, or at least until I was sure his attitude had improved. Just so incredibly lackadaisical, I get that he's meant to be a calm presence in the backline but that was just utterly careless.
Plenty of top cbs have made that mistake. All players make mistakes. I wouldn't really play him that much myself but thats because I don't think he is good not because he made a mistake.

He reminds me of Schinderlin when he was here, very timid, shying away from the ball, and can't handle the pressure of playing for Utd.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Plenty of top cbs have made that mistake. All players make mistakes. I wouldn't really play him that much myself but thats because I don't think he is good not because he made a mistake.
I dunno, it looked less like a freak mistake to me, and more just total carelessness. Sure, plenty of top CBS make the error but you give him an opportunity to come in like that after having a poor game vs Brighton? And he repays it with a pass as lazy as that? You'd think he would come in incredibly determined to prove himself, to me it just looks like he simply doesn't have the right attitude.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I dunno, it looked less like a freak mistake to me, and more just total carelessness. Sure, plenty of top CBS make the error but you give him an opportunity to come in like that after having a poor game vs Brighton? And he repays it with a pass as lazy as that? You'd think he would come in incredibly determined to prove himself, to me it just looks like he simply doesn't have the right attitude.
Or he was incredibly nervous and low in confidence?

Anyway we agree he isn't good enough I think, calling out his attitude is another thing all together.

Last edited:

el3mel

Has nothing to do with his attitude. He's just a terrible defender. Maybe he'll be suited for other much slower league, but definitely not Premier League.

Litch

Seen him play in Europe and not the same player. No world beater but much better than we've seen. The problem is this league will find you out and highlight your weaknesses. This is even worse playing at Utd where everything is forensically examined by the media. He reminds me a little of Depay where it just got progressively worst each game and there was only going to be one outcome. The other problem is this is a horrible club to join at present as the worst we are, the more pressure there is on new signings making a difference. Can you imagine the pressure on any CB coming here now......

simpandenstore

Like Matic's headless dribbling as (almost) the last defender?

Loublaze

ATLien
He reminds me of Schinderlin when he was here, very timid, shying away from the ball, and can't handle the pressure of playing for Utd.
I had a lot of faith in that guy and was frustrated with LVG for not playing him but in the end his exit was more than justified. The man doesn't even look the part at Everton! I agree with you over Lindelof. He doesn't belong in this league and would struggle even at a club like Wolves.

wm28600

Watching him for us be almost useless, and watching him for Sweden be a rock against the best in the world; sigh there must be a player somewhere, one we scouted and decided was worth 30m. I remain hopeful we will unlock that at some point, although for that to happen we need an experienced rock to help develop him (same for Bailly as well).

SambaBoy

Can't see this guy ever being a competent CB. Too weak and poor in the air.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He is just not suited to this league. He can become a world beater anywhere else though.

luke511

Watching him for us be almost useless, and watching him for Sweden be a rock against the best in the world; sigh there must be a player somewhere, one we scouted and decided was worth 30m. I remain hopeful we will unlock that at some point, although for that to happen we need an experienced rock to help develop him (same for Bailly as well).
Was he really a rock though? He had one or two good games but that doesn't make him a player. He's below average when it come's to defending.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
It's not the attitude, it's the talent, or, lack thereof.

Loublaze

ATLien
He should go on loan somewhere to settle in the league and grow confidence. There must be an arragement with some club that he could go and play. If he played consistently for a year he would be fine.
He's just not good enough. Arsenal had flops like Senderos (who had a good international career) and Gabriel Paulista who showed way more initial promise than Lindelof ever has. The guy is just not good enough at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.