Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

redshaw

He's looked shocking from the first game he played to the last yesterday.

Perhaps in a few years he can come good, we desperately need good ones now.

We have nowhere near come to replacing Vidic and Rio.

Andersons Dietician

Imo he definitely has potential, but he's way too soft for EPL, he would probably come good in Calcio.

He's scared shiitless, which has something to do with our manager dropping everyone that isn't his favorite after a poor game.
Probably true, the ease at with Kane lost him on that corner that had Lindelof scrambling and falling over was quite scary. I can get why Smalling was on Dier as if I recall he is supposed to be really good in the air but Lindelof and Jones both screwed the pooch against Kane.
Problem is I really don’t see a CB option option out there available at a reasonable price. Seems like to get anyone semi decent we are going to have to over pay. Maguire I think is decent but no way is he anywhere near the value of 75mil. Alderweireld probably worth another look at in January but outside of that who really is there?

Oggmonster

He's not good enough and being a young lad probably has massive confidence issues. Baffling how he was in the squad ahead of Bailly really, although Bailly was awful last game he is a better player and has had some great games in the past, Lindelof not so much.

Fracture90

Probably true, the ease at with Kane lost him on that corner that had Lindelof scrambling and falling over was quite scary. I can get why Smalling was on Dier as if I recall he is supposed to be really good in the air but Lindelof and Jones both screwed the pooch against Kane.
Problem is I really don’t see a CB option option out there available at a reasonable price. Seems like to get anyone semi decent we are going to have to over pay. Maguire I think is decent but no way is he anywhere near the value of 75mil. Alderweireld probably worth another look at in January but outside of that who really is there?
Our defense on set pieces is shambolic in general, either it's not coached properly, or players are forgetting the instructions on which player to takeover but imo it's down to CB merry-go-round we're been having since the day one.

Out of the experienced CB's I suppose Alderweireld would be the only somewhat cheaper option, tho he isn't as good in the air.

Other options either wouldn't want to move or we would need to break CB world record transfer fee to get them.

Manolas from Roma would be a good shout and my personal favourite.

Tarkowski from Burnley could be an option from the league, he won't be crazy expensive but he's still quite young.

Lemos from Sassuolo isn't a bad shout for a younger, talented CB.

IMakeThingsUp

Thanks, thats great to know.

See, this is why i have no issues with us buying Bailly and Lindelof. Two young CBs. But we clearly needed that next CB to help them as an experienced leader, which I dont think we have (Toby.A seems like he would have been the one to help us and take us into that direction).
Granqvist is a beast of a player at almost 6 feet 4 inches tall. Surprisingly good with his feet and a good penalty taker as well. Even has some quite decent runs forwards at times as well. Honestly I think he would do well in the PL although he might be getting a bit old now.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Hope he can turn it around, but just don't see it happening.

Thisistheone

Got this completely wrong. Thought he was a raw but potentially good CB in the making. Mainly based on Jose's reputation with centreal defenders and having CL experience with Benfica.

Last night was something else though.

izzydiggler

People talk about confidence but it looks way more serious than that - you can't have CB's that fall apart under the slightest bit of pressure. It's not that he makes mistakes - he looks completely lost.

His positioning is woeful, he's oblivious to runners, terrible in the air and his easily out-muscled. If he was an academy player, I still wouldn't understand why he was at the club, never mind paying £30m or so for him.

The worst thing I can say is I don't even feel I need to out the obligatory caveat of 'he might prove us wrong and come good'. I'd be amazed if he was at the club next year, never mind beyond that. I'm trying to think of a worse defender that we've had in 30 years and am struggling. The only one that springs to mind is Prunier but he was a very short-term loan, not a huge signing.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah. José constantly punishing players are working wonders for the rest of the squad. Victor has been treated like shit from day one. It's not strange that José's destructive management style might affect the new and youngest player playing in a position where mistakes are very costly the most.
Swedish poster?

mad1max954

Still very young really and in a settled defence, next to a proper, experieced cb (like Rio or vidic) he might learn the game and come good.

Playing him as is is just torture. He may never be good enough for this club but at the minute it is just pure panic. Absolutely lost.

Needs some time away from the first team/ or sold / or loaned.

Alabaster Codify7

Been saying it all along, Lindelof is nowhere near the standard a 'top team' should have. He lacks every single crucial aspect of a top CB. Thankfuly it seems that even his defenders and the most Topred posters here who seemingly think that if they say a player is good for long enough it will eventually be true......are now seeing the light.

Terrible CB. Jose's worst signing so far, hands down. At least Mkhi had flashes of brilliance and grabbed a few crucial goals. Flog him next summer and take £20m, we'll get no more.

Devil81

Carragher is spot on, you have to feel for the lad as the move was huge for him but he's simply not good enough to be playing at the top level.

Woziak

The simple truth is we need 2 Centre Backs, not just 1 because one of Jones or Smalling with Lindelof will have to be sold as well. I'm still struggerling to understand why he agreed to loan out Axel and TFM when you can see in training that Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Valencia are all not at the races. Keep the two youngsters who completed pre season, encourage competition so we could get to Xmas with Maybe 40 points and then move in the Market. (We will be lucky to get to 30 at this rate and by then even the top 4 will be out of the question because Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and City will all have 44 to 48 points! )

Jose knew this in his first season and played 3 at the back quite a lot to allow for the defensive problem, plus he had the added Europa League games to contend with.
The truth is another defeat within the next 1 or 2 games and he will probably be gone.

Woodward will want to mitergate the risk of no Champions League football for 2019-20 season so he will move swiftly and probably appoint Zidane and although he may improve the attacking threat of the team, Lindelof and the defence is a whole different problem that will not be sorted over night with a quick fix.

The Club needs to appoint a 'Director of Football' first, possibly withing the next 7 days and create a proper transfer strategy to fix the Defensive issues which are as follows;
  • A Valencia and A Young now 34 both need replacing within next 2 windows
  • V Lindelof, M Darmian needs to be sold in January Window
  • Left Footed CB and a leader Needs to be signed if we can find one
  • Sign another left footed wing back to compete with L Shaw
  • Physical Ball playing CB needs to be signed in the January window.
  • D De Gea needs to resign a new 5 year contract asap
  • Tim Fosu Mensah should be recalled in January with Axel left to play the whole season for Villa
  • L Shaw if he continues in good form needs a new 5 year contract.

The Club needs to be looking at a Left Wing back player like Kieran Tierney who can also play Left Centre Back in a 3 or a 4 probably available for £30M, especially now Celtic have not qualified for the CL. They should then go break the bank for Harry Maguire at £90M and give him a 6 year contract. Next a confrontational but a massive upgrade on Jones would be James Tarkowski probably available at £35M, a players who is always fit and then finally we should be looking at getting some top quality Right wing talent like C Pullisic, J Sancho or R Sessegnon (yes he can play on the left too) for £60M. All of these deals could be done in January after we sell Darmian, Lindelof, Mata, Jones or Smalling for £75M. I would keep M Rojo simple because there is very few left sided Centre backs currently available until a better option materialises.

A DOF would be told to recruit in the future the way the club has always looked too in the past. The best british talent mixed with only European Elite players. Thorough background checks on personality, mentality, injury, fitness records with their desire to win trophies and play for United are only what Sir Alex used to do with his network of scouts ! He combined 2 roles and yes he made some horrendous mistakes in the transfer market but he got more right than wrong, someone like Edwin Van de Sar, Eric Cantona, Dwight Yorke ( can't believe I'm mentioning him) or why not P Scholes would all make great choices in this roll. Ex players who know the DNA of the club and the pitfalls of a modern footballer.

qubit

The only good thing about Lindelof are his champions that pop up in this thread. Not only do they seek to defend his honour but they try to promote him as a top player. They must be relatives, his girlfriend or part of his PR team.

Funny to claim he’s too good for the Premier League style when he’s hailed for his international appearances in which Sweden play Roy Hodgeson’s 1980s British style football. Stylistically almost as regressive as it gets for the football snobs.
He was playing in the champions league against Bayern Munich at their best when Man Utd didn't even play in Europe. With your arrogance and your failure to see that the world has moved on from your british style of fotball you will never be a top team again. It is laughable that most poster here thought you played good in the first half because you play direct and aggressive. If you want to be a Celtic kind of team that is happy to play in the CL once every 5 years then yeah, go ahead and be positive about how you played in the first half. Anyone who have watched good football for the last ten years just laugh at your first half performance.

Your fans are as outdated and clueless as your manager. No good player is gonna come to Man Utd in the future with your backward mentality that sends players like Di Maria away in their prime. You keep making fun of the few good players that join your team because they can't keep up with your amazing Man Utd style of football that all the team in the rest of the world envy and try to imitate.

Fracture90

He was playing in the champions league against Bayern Munich at their best when Man Utd didn't even play in Europe. With your arrogance and your failure to see that the world has moved on from your british style of fotball you will never be a top team again. It is laughable that most poster here thought you played good in the first half because you play direct and aggressive. If you want to be a Celtic kind of team that is happy to play in the CL once every 5 years then yeah, go ahead and be positive about how you played in the first half. Anyone who have watched good football for the last ten years just laugh at your first half performance.

Your fans are as outdated and clueless as your manager. No good player is gonna come to Man Utd in the future with your backward mentality that sends players like Di Maria away in their prime. You keep making fun of the few good players that join your team because they can't keep up with your amazing Man Utd style of football that all the team in the rest of the world envy and try to imitate.
It was a very welcomed change to actually press, attack, play short risky passes and open up spaces on the counter. We created chances on our own, we forced Spurs to give away chsn which we didn't capitalise from unfortunately.

It's nothing "laughable" as you're presenting it to be just because you're annoyed due to the question other poster had asked you.

Woziak

You do know you are talking about Manchester United right and not Celtic. United who have a wage bill of £289M on players , within the top 3 in World football! No one United fan is naeve enough to believe to think we have a divine right to win leagues or playing CL football every year and the recent demise of Ac Milan, another European Super Club is a stark warning to us all. However Angel Di Maria, as good a player as he was simply did not settle into the Climate, culture or pace of the PL in exactly the same way a World Class Sebastian Veron did not settle into an Elite United team that was in the top 3 teams in Europe at the time. I may agree with you that our Manager is indeed outdated with his Football Philosophy but I can assure you that most genuine United Fans are not and do not suffer from illusions of grandeur!

podurban2

Aren’t you a bitter little fella.

Regarding Lindelöf, he was never ready for United. I stated this long before he joined us, and most Swedes who are unbiased would agree with this notion.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I just don't see anything in him that makes me think we just need to give him. He's average on the ball at best, panics easily, physically weak and can't head the ball. I will never understand what the scouts and Jose saw in him.

Whoever called him Iceman is having a laughing too.

Robbie Boy

He's been pretty poor since he signed but judging him in this shitshow of team is unfair, if not a sad reality.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Jose should have told Ed that Lindelof needed a loan to gain experience in the league, whilst in the meantime we find a temporary CB for a season or two.

That would have solved a lot of the arguments over CB purchasing this summer. Had it been Toby, Boateng, or anyone slightly longer in the tooth of that ilk - we would have improved our options overnight.

Given how shot all our CBs look right now - which Jose must take some blame over, given the way he was speaking during the tour - I honestly don't see how any of them will find form anytime soon.

podurban2

Jose should have told Ed that Lindelof needed a loan to gain experience in the league, whilst in the meantime we find a temporary CB for a season or two.

That would have solved a lot of the arguments over CB purchasing this summer. Had it been Toby, Boateng, or anyone slightly longer in the tooth of that ilk - we would have improved our options overnight.

Given how shot all our CBs look right now - which Jose must take some blame over, given the way he was speaking during the tour - I honestly don't see how any of them will find form anytime soon.
We all know Jose doesn’t want to let any of his squad players go on loan so while your idea may have been good it’s not realistic.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
We all know Jose doesn’t want to let any of his squad players go on loan so while your idea may have been good it’s not realistic.
Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe, Pereirax2 have all been on loan since Jose came in, and have all been included in squads before. Granted, Lindelof is different, but if Jose really wanted a CB then surely he would have made a concession over this.

I think what's more likely is that he wanted one of Smalling or Jones sold so he had space to bring in a new option, but we were awful at getting deadwood out of the club this summer. If we had to sell to make space for new signings, then Ed needs to take a lot of the blame.

Rake

He's been pretty poor since he signed but judging him in this shitshow of team is unfair, if not a sad reality.
He might come good, though i doubt it, but it is evident that our poor team play is not the cause for his woes. Many of his mistakes are isolated pieces of play, where he just lacks the composure, strength and concentration to prevail over his opponent. He is supposed to be good with the ball but every time he plays he is so scared, his mind blocks. Last night, before that terrible pass to DDG, he was scared to play a relatively easy 25 meter pass to Shaw, who was unmarked on the left wing. Instead he made his best duck impersonation as if there is no one available and played the ball to DDG.

People seem to forget that he already has over 30 games for us. There are signs of improving here and there but those are grasping at straws because of how terrible he has been for us.

Robbie Boy

He might come good, though i doubt it, but it is evident that our poor team play is not the cause for his woes. Many of his mistakes are isolated pieces of play, where he just lacks the composure, strength and concentration to prevail over his opponent. He is supposed to be good with the ball but every time he plays he is so scared, his mind blocks. Last night, before that terrible pass to DDG, he was scared to play a relatively easy 25 meter pass to Shaw, who was unmarked on the left wing. Instead he made his best duck impersonation as if there is no one available and played the ball to DDG.

People seem to forget that he already has over 30 games for us. There are signs of improving here and there but those are grasping at straws because of how terrible he has been for us.
I don't really see it working out for him here alright. Plenty of his mistakes are definitely isolated but I don't think the state of our team helps and the lack of cover that our defenders get. Maybe he's just a dud, I really can't tell but he looks a far better player for Sweden than he does for us.

Classical Mechanic

WTF are you on about?!
Modern style centre back? He's shite
I was trolling this post by one of Lindelof's white knights.

This is the kind of attitude that is holding you back. Not being a good fit for the PL is a good thing. That is something Pep understands. You can reach a much higher level of football if you play a style that's not typical for the PL. The problem is you can't buy new modern players and then force them to play like you normally play in PL.

Roboc7

He doesn’t seem to be able to cope with pace or physicality of the league, looks nowhere near the level required and isn’t improving.

A-man

I have been defending him, and that’s because I believe he is a good player. Obviously he wasn’t good last game, but I thought he had a serie of good games last season from around Christmas until the end of the season. Only CB who was better was Smalling imo. After the first match this season him and Bailly were praised as the future, now two weeks later people want them sacked.

The writer qubit is arrogant, but there are some things in there that shouldn’t be neglected. Someone wrote that United are the third biggest spender in the world of football. How come it is still an average club with relatively poor results?

The few international star players like Pogba do not reach full potential. diMaria was also mentioned as an example of a world class player who didn’t perform in United. The new younger players like Lindelof and Bailly do not work out. Or actually no player, at all seem to reach the potential they have reached elsewhere when they play for United (except DDG who has the opposite problem). Maybe it is only the individuals’ fault and United are doing everything perfectly, or there is a systematic error somewhere. There seems to be no plan whatsoever for developing players , just shifting them randomly game after game.

Many fans expect quick fixes by buying good players and then United should be back as European top team again. But obviously that hasn’t worked out that way for the World’s third biggest spender.

nycender

He looks the type of player to throw up before the match. Doesn't look the least bit comfortable having the ball anywhere near him.

Classical Mechanic

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't see the supposed talent. Rubbish buy. He looks completely out of his depth.

USREDEVIL

I believe he's the worst defender i've ever seen play for United in a Premier League match. His positioning is terrible, he's fairly slow, not intelligent, and clearly isn't very good at passing. If he ever plays for United again I can only imagine it's because there's not a single other option or we just don't give a fucc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He’s shocking. What were the scouts and management thinking?

Classical Mechanic

If that makes you satisfied, I am happy for you. For me however, the club is average, especially when you put the enormous spendings in relation to the results.
It's simply incorrect to call the club average.

That said, I don't think that Mourinho is helping his confidence, or any of the defenders for that matter.

What we saw from Lindelof last night was clear signs of him being out of his depth. He didn't make that awful back because he is technically poor, he made it because he came on in a difficult moment and he was afraid.

Ominous signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.