Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backrow Singer

You're right. I keep trying to convince myself he'll improve to the required level but hand on heart he looks nothing like a United player to me.

Way too timid and flat footed to be in our squad let alone a starter.
The reality is, he’s like many others in the team. Lots of effort, does his best, nice lad apparently but he’s just not good enough and he lacks leadership. Makes it really difficult when you’ve got so many of them. Smalling and Jones just beggar belief as well.

We need someone proven in that position, I’m not clued up enough on other leagues to know who that is but forget project signings, we need someone who can come in and deliver.

Labelled the 'Iceman' when he was (finally) brought in.Well that nickname couldn't be further from the truth.He's more of a ghost-man than anything.Everything goes through him.

He's not good enough for us and he's not alone.
I can foresee another summer transfer window where we're desperately trying to flog off our unwanted deadwood only to come to the same conclusion as we did this past summer.
Very few clubs want those players and those players themselves are on cushy fat contracts and dont want to up and leave just yet.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I can foresee another summer transfer window where we're desperately trying to flog off our unwanted deadwood only to come to the same conclusion as we did this past summer.
Very few clubs want those players and those players themselves are on cushy fat contracts and dont want to up and leave just yet.
When we finally get rid of the deadwood, we replace them with players who become deadwood after a season.

Ekeke

Nothing new here. He wasn't "great" previous to this game, and he isnt "useless" after this game.

He's just an okay CB like he has been in previous weeks. Will be decent for squad depth

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He may miraculously turn into world class CB.

The keyword is ‘miracle’

Playing so deep doesn't suit him at all. Neither he nor DDG covered themselves in glory for Agueros goal but the lack of cover in the build-up was criminal.

Saw some people in the match thread blaming him for the third which was funny.

kr0nix

Mourinho wanted Toby, but has to make do with the Ikea Alderweireld instead.
I for one am shocked at the way Woodward went behind Jose's back to sign a player from the Portuguese league. Mourinho ought to have resigned then and there for having no say in Lindelof's signing.

Negan

He’s our only good defender. The rest of them are complete liabilities. If he had a mature partner beside him like Alderweireld or Van Dijk, he would be immense.

Sadly he’s got Young, Smalling and Shaw. That’s how far our standards have fecking dropped.

3KDré

He’s our only good defender. The rest of them are complete liabilities. If he had a mature partner beside him like Alderweireld or Van Dijk, he would be immense.

Sadly he’s got Young, Smalling and Shaw. That’s how far our standards have fecking dropped.
I never would’ve thought I would hear that.

Irwin99

He was good against Juve and I honestly didn't think he was bad against City. Smalling and him weren't the problem and I'd say Young, Shaw, DDG and Matic let us down more.

3KDré

Who’s been better in recent games?
I’m not denying it, he has been one of our best recently. It’s just, given how poor he was last year, I would’ve never even imagined hearing that.

Ekeke

Smalling has been better. Dealt with the same pass in behind the defense that did Lindelof for the Ronaldo goal Vs. Juventus, also played well against Ronaldo in general during that match and did better against City too.

So no he isnt our only good defender. He's an okay defender. He'll have his work cut out competing for a spot when a new CB comes in

A-man

Smalling has been better. Dealt with the same pass in behind the defense that did Lindelof for the Ronaldo goal Vs. Juventus, also played well against Ronaldo in general during that match and did better against City too.

So no he isnt our only good defender. He's an okay defender. He'll have his work cut out competing for a spot when a new CB comes in
I don’t think you should use one pass, in a semi-similar situation, to compare two players. Its of anecdotal value. Lindelof dealt with many situations very well and finally the best CL goal scorer of all time scored. And it took a little extra to score. Juventus defence also missed a semi-similar pass to Sanchez. Smalling created a stupid penalty because he was too late just one match before. And so on. Anecdotal value as Smalling in general is a very good defender, at least if you look at the defending part.

Even if Smalling, imo, is the better defender of the two (not the last matches, but over longer period of time), I believe that he will be the one to be replaced if they bring in a new CB.

Right now I would say that the CB pair is not a problem at United. Smalling/Lindelof has been the best functioning part of the team the last 5 matches. When people say he is not PL material based on the last match, I wonder who is? City have an average of 3 goals per match, which means conceding 3 is statistically average for PL. Aguero has scored against most top defenders. Are they not PL material? He scored 4 goals against Leicester, some in the face of Maguire. Isn’t he PL material?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Lindelof was better for a grand total of three games. Juventus first match, Everton and Bournemouth. Every match before that Smalling was better. Since that period, we had the Juventus second match where Lindelof was better in the first half and Smalling better in the second half, and City where Smalling was better.

I'm not sure I'd say he's good just yet, but he's certainly the best all round defender we seem to have. The rest are either permanently injured, cant perform the basics, or cant last a game without melting down.

jem

I for one am shocked at the way Woodward went behind Jose's back to sign a player from the Portuguese league. Mourinho ought to have resigned then and there for having no say in Lindelof's signing.
Sorry, I haven't been following closely, but is this actually true?

simplyared

Can you be watching the same player as I am? You say he's our best defender. Start off by telling me what he's good at? His qualities?

simplyared

Yesterday against city:
1st goal he lifts his hands in the air when the cross comes in as if to say there's no danger the balls going out. So he reads that all wrong.
2nd goal Aguero leaves him for dead. The rest history.
3rd goal Not directly involved but having said that he's in the box without picking up a single city player.
Balls won in the air: I didn't see any.
Successfull decisive tackles: didn't see any.
Amount of passes putting fellow players in danger: I saw at least 3
Etc etc and this guy is good enough to wear the shirt?

simplyared

Wanted him off at half time yesterday and I posted that on the match day forum. I could see he was a risk and I also said if they attack us more down the right he'd get exposed. Which is what happened when Aguero made that one two and smashed it into the top corner.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
I cant understand how a guy likes him plays for Manchester United, let alone start! At Nantes we have 4 central defenders who are much better than him, really, and we are a bottom of the table club from ligue 1.
He's certainly not a defender, he doesnt have any of the attributes. He doesnt know where he is supposed to be most of the time, can't tackle, can't win a header to save his life. I have yet to see his so called passing abilities.
Worst is how he always loses his opponent because he constantly watches the ball. The 2nd goal is a good example of this, he is hypnotized by the ball, he doesnt even consider or see Aguero going behind is back until it's too late.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I still don't see what is good about him. Would prefer most if not all of our other CBs over him. He is dodgy in the air, he is indecisive, his passing is nothing special, he's not tough to beat, he just doesn't seem very good.

Yeah, pretty much what Nantes guy said, in fact.

Can you be watching the same player as I am? You say he's our best defender. Start off by telling me what he's good at? His qualities?
He's the best we have (not saying much) at reading the game and knowing what's going on around him. He's one of those players that defends by getting into the right place to block passes and runs. It makes him look a bit like he's not doing anything because he doesn't put in flying tackles and headers but its the best way to defend if you're good at it, but it is also much easier to do if the team if pressing further up the pitch and the opposition is having to play the ball quicker. Sitting back the way we do allows them an age to pick the perfect pass and then you need the towering defender to make the tackles and headers.

Patrick08

I still don't see what is good about him. Would prefer most if not all of our other CBs over him. He is dodgy in the air, he is indecisive, his passing is nothing special, he's not tough to beat, he just doesn't seem very good.

Yeah, pretty much what Nantes guy said, in fact.
I have lost faith in mourinho to get the best out of single player in the team, including this lindelof lad.

MUfreak

I think he will do a lot better at RB at least he has flair and can cross (from his Benfica days) then we go all out for Koulibaly defence fixed.

Ekeke

I think he will do a lot better at RB at least he has flair and can cross (from his Benfica days) then we go all out for Koulibaly defence fixed.
He might be slightly better at RB but its not like he wouldnt have weaknesses there too.

Pace and headers at the back post especially. I guess having Smalling and another CB good in the air could help him out with the headers.

baskinginthesun

Right now I would say that the CB pair is not a problem at United. Smalling/Lindelof has been the best functioning part of the team the last 5 matches. When people say he is not PL material based on the last match, I wonder who is? City have an average of 3 goals per match, which means conceding 3 is statistically average for PL. Aguero has scored against most top defenders. Are they not PL material? He scored 4 goals against Leicester, some in the face of Maguire. Isn’t he PL material?
Yep. It's incredibly hard to keep Aguero quiet. He's also an extremely accurate shot taker. Anyways, I agree. Lindelof and Smalling are functioning well together and hopefully that continues. It's the most settled part of the squad at the moment.

SwedishFish

Just won Footballer of the year in Sweden, hopefully, he can keep building onto this and grow as he has over the course of the last year.

kr0nix

Sorry, I haven't been following closely, but is this actually true?
No, I was being sarcastic. As far as we know Mourinho green lit the signing of Lindelof. I just don't buy the excuse that these players are underperforming because they weren't Mou's first choice. Just the other day someone was trying to propose that Matic's failure wasnt on Mou because his first choice was Dier and Ed couldn't get him. Sounds like an awfully convenient excuse for Mou.

RedCurry

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.