6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lindelof has been doing pretty well for us for some good time now.
He's been doing ok'ish. Nothing groundbreaking.
He is playing against Dzyuba, Yerokhin, Poloz and Ionov today, that’s why he is doing well. Not Aguero, Salah, Aubameyang or Hazard. So let’s tone it down a tad..
I see.I thought Russia were a decent team ?
Obviously not then.

James Peril

Lindelof has been doing pretty well for us for some good time now.
He has been okay, he still plays in a defensive unit that’s kept one clean sheet this season. We have the best goalkeeper in the world, we should be keeping way more and Lindelöf isn’t good enough (for where we want to be). We have let in 21 goals in 12 league games (!!), which is probably more than City and Liverpool will let in over the course of the whole season. Amazing

el3mel

He has been okay, he still plays in a defensive unit that’s kept one clean sheet this season. We have the best goalkeeper in the world, we should be keeping way more and Lindelöf isn’t good enough (for where we want to be). We have let in 21 goals in 12 league games (!!), which is probably more than City and Liverpool will let in over the course of the whole season. Amazing
He wasn't directly involved or did a mistake in any of the goals we conceded as far as I'm concerned.

Matic is a bigger problems defensively for us now than Lindelof, by a big margin too. It's hard for the defense to do the whole job when they have feck all protection in front of them from the midfield.

Fredrik.A

Yeah and 90 % of those goals are due to our midfield. Every Cb in the world would struggle with Matic (in current form) in front of them

simmee

Russia are absolutely woeful and playing with a B-side, so I wouldn’t make any of it. No Akinfeev, Fernandes, Dzagoev, Golovin, Kororin and Cherysev.... in fact, did any one the players starting today play during the World Cup? It’s easy to look good against crappy teams. Lindelöf plays in the Premier League, he won’t face a team like Russia B, and that’s all that matters. Even Marcus Berg looked great in the first half and he’s crap.
Marcus Berg was really poor. You seem like a great judge of talent, keep going lad!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Nah nah hes shit. The mumblers on the cafe have said so.

SteveW

Can't judge this guy at all. He was absolutely awful in his first season. I genuinely thought he didn't belong here. Too weak, too slow and a bundle of nerves. But he's slowly improving. He hasn't been good by any stretch but he is getting better as he adapts to the PL and gains confidence. I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.

Been very good, you have to question our way of playing and tactics when so many of our players look so much more potent for their national teams.
Because the vast majority of international teams would be absolutely hammered by any top half Premier League team. The organisation and closing of space are levels below.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Mumblers on caf have also watched him and seen that he's a bit crap. To think of it, there's no need to mumble it.
He hasn’t been crap. He’s kept world class players quiet in a team that is defensively flawed. Goldfish.

Last edited:

James Peril

He wasn't directly involved or did a mistake in any of the goals we conceded as far as I'm concerned.

Matic is a bigger problems defensively for us now than Lindelof, by a big margin too. It's hard for the defense to do the whole job when they have feck all protection in front of them from the midfield.
We’re not far away from conceding two goals pr. game in the league on average, that’s not down to Matic alone and the fact itself is a huge disaster. Neither is it down to just Mourinho, we all know he can manage a defensive unit. The players aren’t good enough; that’s why we let in easy goals and that’s why we don’t have control. Playing Lindelöf and not playing Valencia is the big difference here, as well as having Jones injured (duh) and Shaw back in the team. The defensive difference between Young and Shaw isn’t huge I think. Perhaps we’re underplaying Valencia’s importance defensively?

We lack a great defender, Lindelöf certainly isn’t that player and never will be. Could he be a decent squad player and someone next to our new, shiny, great defender? Maybe, lots of average defenders have been part of great squads. I think he lacks composure and toughness, looks utterly scared everytime he plays in England.

klsv

If we were in a better place as a whole, players like Lindelöf would get a lot less slack and a lot more time from the fans. People are so hysterical and reactionary it's actually painful to read and hear. Some were saying Lindelöf is a flop and should be sold after his few first matches. Imagine if Vidic or De Gea were new signings this summer. Not great players and were never going to be.

A-man

If we were in a better place as a whole, players like Lindelöf would get a lot less slack and a lot more time from the fans. People are so hysterical and reactionary it's actually painful to read and hear. Some were saying Lindelöf is a flop and should be sold after his few first matches. Imagine if Vidic or De Gea were new signings this summer. Not great players and were never going to be.
Agree. It’s getting ridiculous, when he plays well people write stuff like they dislike his posture and that he looks scared.

SteveW

I honestly think Lindelof has got an easy time of supporters. Most United supporters seem to overrate anyone who isn't called Smalling or Jones from what I can see.

Lindelofs performances last season were as bad as any centre half I've seen here. He looked way out of his depth. Yet most supporters seemed happy to give him time. (I am too actually, he's improving, but I have to call last season as it was, he terrible and seemed to cost us a goal whenever he played. Edit: aware that's an exaggeration, he cost us quite a few though)

Bailly was a ludicrous mess for large periods. Looking great one second then doing something completely daft the next. Yet he's seen as our best defender by most.

Smalling was comfortably our best defender and over 50% wanted him sold in the summer. Because Smalling and Jones and Jones are a pair and will always be treated as such.

Jones, well yeah, injuries have killed his career here. He's not the player he was. Probably fairly criticised.

Rojo doesn't play so everyone forgets how rash he is and pretends he's a great ball player despite hoofing the ball 60 yards everything he gets it.

klsv

I honestly think Lindelof has got an easy time of supporters. Most United supporters seem to overrate anyone who isn't called Smalling or Jones from what I can see.

Lindelofs performances last season were as bad as any centre half I've seen here. He looked way out of his depth. Yet most supporters seemed happy to give him time. (I am too actually, he's improving, but I have to call last season as it was, he terrible and seemed to cost us a goal whenever he played. Edit: aware that's an exaggeration, he cost us quite a few though)

Bailly was a ludicrous mess for large periods. Looking great one second then doing something completely daft the next. Yet he's seen as our best defender by most.

Smalling was comfortably our best defender and over 50% wanted him sold in the summer. Because Smalling and Jones and Jones are a pair and will always be treated as such.

Jones, well yeah, injuries have killed his career here. He's not the player he was. Probably fairly criticised.

Rojo doesn't play so everyone forgets how rash he is and pretends he's a great ball player despite hoofing the ball 60 yards everything he gets it.
If you mean that some get more stick because they're English and not some glamorous foreign players, then I sense that too and it's annoying, and I'm not even English. But I disagree when it comes to Lindelöf, at least on here. Been actually thinking he's getting more shit because he's a very non-glamorous Swedish bloke, nothing glamorous and not English either. You get hopeless with some, and some seem to regress like Jones, but Lindelöf barely played last season and has shown promise of progress this season. Still, even on the night he scores for his NT, get shit for whatever memory brings up about last season.

Mcking

Thumbs up

youmeletsfly

Yeah and 90 % of those goals are due to our midfield. Every Cb in the world would struggle with Matic (in current form) in front of them
Nobody will notice this the same way nobody will understand that Smalling is our best defender but not our best CB. He is good at the usual no nonsense 1v1 defending and that is kind of it.

Well if you look at it, we might not have a good CB in the whole squad, but if you look at it from a different angle, our players(bailly, lindelof, hell even Jones at times) look completely different under other managers.

It's either our shi7 midfield or our shi7 manager. I'd gladly say 50-50.

Last edited:

Runaway Sue

I thought Lindelöf was very good today. Russia didnt have anything really, but i was surprised with his offensive runs all game. Him and Granqvist were superb.

Ekeke

Nailed it.

Now obviously there were some people on the other end of things calling him useless each time he's had a poor start to the season. So its not like he never got called out (and over the top too) but it took literally 1 fairly good game for people to go to the polar opposite side of things and start calling him great. Either way is madness. He's a decent player whos had a couple of pretty good games and some poor ones too.
As for Lindelof's goal, good for him

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Nailed it.

Now obviously there were some people on the other end of things calling him useless each time he's had a poor start to the season. So its not like he never got called out (and over the top too) but it took literally 1 fairly good game for people to go to the polar opposite side of things and start calling him great. Either way is madness. He's a decent player whos had a couple of pretty good games and some poor ones too.
As for Lindelof's goal, good for him
Not one person called him great. 2 said he had great potential, 1 said he's been great since Juve (at the time of the post) and all of those posts have been met with criticism. People have recognised that he has played better and that's really not that surprising as it's his second season and he's getting a run in the team. I think you'll struggle to find many posters that think that we shouldn't buy an improvement but considering our current CBs he's probably been our best one recently as Smalling hasn't been as good as last season and the others are duds. I agree with the gossip that we need 2 CBs, as in a new pairing.

Ekeke

Not one person called him great. 2 said he had great potential, 1 said he's been great since Juve (at the time of the post) and all of those posts have been met with criticism. People have recognised that he has played better and that's really not that surprising as it's his second season and he's getting a run in the team. I think you'll struggle to find many posters that think that we shouldn't buy an improvement but considering our current CBs he's probably been our best one recently as Smalling hasn't been as good as last season and the others are duds. I agree with the gossip that we need 2 CBs, as in a new pairing.
Several people have said he's been great since Juventus. Maybe you have them on ignore

cheeky_backheel

The key difference between Lindelof and Bailly vs Smalling, Jones and Rojo is the age and experience of the former, while with the latter group we know what we have.

Both Bailly and Lindelof were bought more for their potentials and not cause they were some established quality CB and it is likely one of the reasons we got them at the prices we did, cos more proven CBs would cost a lot more. If they dont improve over time, they will also receive increasing criticism.

Given that smalling and co are not getting better, and they are not up to the desired level, it is only fair they get more criticism and to want the club to move on from them.

Lindelof got a free pass last season. All new players do. This is the season we judge him and he's doing fairly well so far in a very poorly organised defence.

There's a feeling that the whole team is not playing to it's maximum, defence included. Lindelof, Bailly and Rojo are all capable of playing better than they do for us, and Bailly in particular has shown glimpses of being a top defender. They would all benefit hugely from a settled back line with a leader in there. Smalling is criticised because he is the only one who is playing to his maximum, and its not enough. He's reliable and that's what we need at times, but there is a reason every season he's been here we concede more with him in the team than we do when hes out of it.

I don't talk about Jones because he might aswell not be here.

Mcking

Lindelof got a free pass last season. All new players do. This is the season we judge him and he's doing fairly well so far in a very poorly organised defence.

There's a feeling that the whole team is not playing to it's maximum, defence included. Lindelof, Bailly and Rojo are all capable of playing better than they do for us, and Bailly in particular has shown glimpses of being a top defender. They would all benefit hugely from a settled back line with a leader in there. Smalling is criticised because he is the only one who is playing to his maximum, and its not enough. He's reliable and that's what we need at times, but there is a reason every season he's been here we concede more with him in the team than we do when hes out of it.

I don't talk about Jones because he might aswell not be here.
So Smalling is playing to him maximum, but Bailly and Lindelof arent? Bailly and Lindelof will benefit from a settled backline but Smalling won't benefit?

James Peril

Agree. It’s getting ridiculous, when he plays well people write stuff like they dislike his posture and that he looks scared.
It's not ridiculous, it's an extremely valid point even if you're offended by it. I'm Scandi, I would love for Lindelöf to do well and I am biased in that regard - but it won't affect my opinion of him whatsoever. My main concern with him is that he looks "scared", out of control and on the back foot in the Premier League. He looks extremely relived every time the ball is cleared or the situation is solved, there is no confidence or composure in his body language - and it matters. Do you think strikers are afraid to go head to head with him like they are with van Dijk or Alderweireld? Of course not, quite the opposite I would assume. I wouldn't care one bit if he looks like a kid in every challenge as long as we keep clean sheets and look solid, but like I mentioned earlier in this thread, we have let in over 20 goals in our first 12 league games and have kept one clean sheet. I read some say he has been great since the Juventus-game, I beg to differ. We have let in goals in every game and against Bournemouth we were terrible at the back, giving away space and looking very disorganized. In Turin we were just terribly lucky and should have been 3-4 down on a bad day, once again looking very open at the back (which can be expected there to be fair). Dybala hit the bar, Cuadrado missed a sitter, Khedira hit the post... and when Ronaldo scored Lindelöf failed to cover the player and the space behind him. It was great execution by Ronaldo, it was also weak defending by Victor. He is slow, he knows it himself, he needs to take out space and clear the danger when it's Ronaldo lurking around. At City we let in three goals and it could have been six. The Swede hasn't been any worse than the others in these games, but let's not pretend he has been great. If so we have lowered the bar completely.

PaulRich

He needs time but I can see something in him starting to come through - we need to remember players who are considered greats like Evra and Vidic were pure dogshit in their first games.

Johan07

Victor looked really good yesterday. He lost one or two duels against Dzyuba, but most players do.
He looks so much better playing a high line in a team that presses their opponents as we did yesterday. It minimizes the time he needs to be in his own penalty area defending crosses.
He was excellent offensively as well.

So Smalling is playing to him maximum, but Bailly and Lindelof arent? Bailly and Lindelof will benefit from a settled backline but Smalling won't benefit?
Smalling has been here nearly 10 years, almost his whole professional career. He has played under SAF, next to Rio and Vidic, and been in title winning squads. You can be quite confident we have seen the best from him in that time and we know its not enough.

Bailly and Lindelof have been here for 2 years in which we have struggled massively. We have no idea what their ceilings are.

Mcking

Smalling has been here nearly 10 years, almost his whole professional career. He has played under SAF, next to Rio and Vidic, and been in title winning squads. You can be quite confident we have seen the best from him in that time and we know its not enough.

Bailly and Lindelof have been here for 2 years in which we have struggled massively. We have no idea what their ceilings are.
Smalling was hardly a starter under SAF and played a lot of games at RB. Smalling is still 29, defenders do peak above that age. Smalling is currently not at his best, just like Bailly and Lindelof, and he is playing in the same team with them yet he is outperforming both. Their ceiling might actually be lower than his and they might never be as good as him. Smalling was very good when he had a stable partnership with Blind, something he's never had with Bailly, Lindelof, Rojo and Jones because none of them have proven to be good enough. Smalling needs a stable defence too to showcase how good he really is and to take him to the next level.

Smalling was hardly a starter under SAF and played a lot of games at RB. Smalling is still 29, defenders do peak above that age. Smalling is currently not at his best, just like Bailly and Lindelof, and he is playing in the same team with them yet he is outperforming both. Their ceiling might actually be lower than his and they might never be as good as him. Smalling was very good when he had a stable partnership with Blind, something he's never had with Bailly, Lindelof, Rojo and Jones because none of them have proven to be good enough. Smalling needs a stable defence too to showcase how good he really is and to take him to the next level.
Yes, because he wasn't good enough. Vidic was frequently injured and Rio was getting older so there was ample opportunity to cement a place, but still Jonny Evans and Phil Jones were the ones being given games. He's had 9 years under some of the world's best coaches and alongside some of the world's best defenders to show what he can do. Under the best conditions he was not capable of reaching the standard required so it's ridiculous to think he's going to find another level from somewhere now.

Lindelof is still in the early days of his career. It's impossible to say how he will turn out but i'd like to think if he doesn't kick on from where he is now, he wont be here in 8 years time.

Mcking

Yes, because he wasn't good enough. Vidic was frequently injured and Rio was getting older so there was ample opportunity to cement a place, but still Jonny Evans and Phil Jones were the ones being given games. He's had 9 years under some of the world's best coaches and alongside some of the world's best defenders to show what he can do. Under the best conditions he was not capable of reaching the standard required so it's ridiculous to think he's going to find another level from somewhere now.

Lindelof is still in the early days of his career. It's impossible to say how he will turn out but i'd like to think if he doesn't kick on from where he is now, he wont be here in 8 years time.
Or maybe he played a lot at RB because he is the fastest and perhaps, the most versatile? Can you show me where SAF said he is not good enough?
Smalling have never had the best conditions here. He had to compete with Rio and Vidic under SAF and he's being unlucky to play for us during one of our toughest periods and he has also had the pleasure of playing under two failed managers and another potential failed manager. Jones and Evans were playing ahead of him because he wasn't good enough according to you, yet he has proven to be much better than Jones and while he's being our no.1 defender for years, Evans is struggling to get in the Leicester team via WBA.
Even if he was not good enough back then, then the improvement have been drastic in the last four years, under the worst conditions, no experienced defender to give him a lift, no stable defence, partnership nor a good all round team to hide his deficiencies, yet today he is our no.1 defender and still going strong next to some awful defenders. He has single handedly held the defence for years.
If he was able to do it in those conditions, then he will be much better next to a competent defender and in a proper defence.

Last edited:

Or maybe he played a lot at RB because he is the fastest and perhaps, the most versatile? Can you show me where SAF said he is not good enough?
Smalling have never had the best conditions here. He had to compete with Rio and Vidic under SAF and he's being unlucky to play for us during one of our toughest periods and he has also had the pleasure of playing under two failed managers and another potential failed manager. Jones and Evans were playing ahead of him because he wasn't good enough according to you, yet he has proven to be much better than Jones and while he's being our no.1 defender for years, Evans is struggling to get in the Leicester team via WBA.
Even if he was not good enough back then, then the improvement have been drastic in the last four years, under the worst conditions, no experienced defender to give him a lift, no stable defence, partnership nor a good all round team to hide his deficiencies, yet today he is our no.1 defender and still going strong next to some awful defenders. If he was able to do it in those conditions, then he will be much better next to a competent defender and in a proper defence.
So he couldn't get in because he was competing against Rio and Vidic, but two perennial under performers in Evans and Jones made double the appearances? What does that say about him then.

Anyway, this is the Lindelof thread. I don't know why the Smalling defence club have to check on every thread for mention of him.

Mcking

So he couldn't get in because he was competing against Rio and Vidic, but two perennial under performers in Evans and Jones made double the appearances? What does that say about him then.

Anyway, this is the Lindelof thread. I don't know why the Smalling defence club have to check on every thread for mention of him.
Double the apperances my ass. Rio and Vidic both left after the 2013-14 season and from when Smalling joined to the end of that season, Smalling made a total 123 appearances in four seasons, Jones made 104 in three and Evans made 116 apperances in four, Rio made 124 in four and Vidic made 114 in four. So he had more appearances than Jones, Evans and Vidic and had only one less appearance than Ferdinand when Rio and Vidic were here.
So what it says about him is that he more than held his own.
Anyway, it is the Lindelof thread like you said, but that does not mean that Smalling is playing 'at his maximum'.

A-man

It's not ridiculous, it's an extremely valid point even if you're offended by it. I'm Scandi, I would love for Lindelöf to do well and I am biased in that regard - but it won't affect my opinion of him whatsoever. My main concern with him is that he looks "scared", out of control and on the back foot in the Premier League. He looks extremely relived every time the ball is cleared or the situation is solved, there is no confidence or composure in his body language - and it matters. Do you think strikers are afraid to go head to head with him like they are with van Dijk or Alderweireld? Of course not, quite the opposite I would assume. I wouldn't care one bit if he looks like a kid in every challenge as long as we keep clean sheets and look solid, but like I mentioned earlier in this thread, we have let in over 20 goals in our first 12 league games and have kept one clean sheet. I read some say he has been great since the Juventus-game, I beg to differ. We have let in goals in every game and against Bournemouth we were terrible at the back, giving away space and looking very disorganized. In Turin we were just terribly lucky and should have been 3-4 down on a bad day, once again looking very open at the back (which can be expected there to be fair). Dybala hit the bar, Cuadrado missed a sitter, Khedira hit the post... and when Ronaldo scored Lindelöf failed to cover the player and the space behind him. It was great execution by Ronaldo, it was also weak defending by Victor. He is slow, he knows it himself, he needs to take out space and clear the danger when it's Ronaldo lurking around. At City we let in three goals and it could have been six. The Swede hasn't been any worse than the others in these games, but let's not pretend he has been great. If so we have lowered the bar completely.
First of all, I assume that all who call themselves United fans want Lindelof and other United players to do well.

Your comments about posture, hos he looks afraid etc, are imo ridiculous, but that does not mean I am offended by them. Do you really think United would have had more points if Lindelof had a more impressive posture? I disagree. Do you really think Ronaldo and Aguero go out on the pitch and are afraid of CB? Its nonsense. Respect maybe, but being afraid?

I wouldn’t judge a player too much from being involved in one Ronaldo goal over two matches. If you didnt start watching football this year, you might have seen what he has done in the CL before. Hattrick against Bayern and Atletico, both with world class defence. He also scored against Juventus and in almost every CL game last season. Lindelof is in good company.

About the last matches, I would say he has been among the 1-3 best in United. Definitely the best defender. I think it helps that the teams they have been facing play fast football on the ground, instead of crosses and muscleing.

Yes United look very unorganized. Lets agree on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.