Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin99

He played some decent passes in the second half and was much better but he doesn't inspire confidence. Looked a lot better in a back 3 last year, especially against Arsenal.

Foxbatt

He needs someone with pace and strength to play alongside him.

Ace of Spades

He is just so weak, we sold a better player in Blind, who is good on the ball but was a better defender as well.

A-man

So he's supposedly a ball playing CB - some actually use this 'quality' to partially excuse his poor defending - yet he panics under very light pressure and kicks the ball out of play for the throw in which led to Brighton's second goal. I couldn't believe how quickly he panicked with no opposition close to him.

I'd like to say the lad will not make it as a United player because his lack ability and confidence is fairly obvious, but in recent times it looks like we are happy enough to accept mediocrity. So he could quite possibly stick around for another 5 years.
He was cool and calm with the ball in more or less in all situations. You are confusing Lindelof with Bailly maybe? Bailly panicked and kicked the ball out of play which led to the second goal. Corner though, not throw in.

Red_toad

He needs someone with pace and strength to play alongside him.
He needs an excellent defender with pace, height and genuine leadership abilities to tell him what to do and when, then he'll look ok. But be'll still be caught out for pace and be poor in the air and still shrugged off by more physical attackers. He's simply one of those defenders who doesn't have any outstanding attributes and on a good day you'll hardly notice he's playing. We got rid of Blind who has similar limitations, but who actually performed at a higher standard for United. Odd signing, said at the time he was poor in the air and didn't have any outstanding attributes. Maybe he'll improve, but I'd guess the next coach will clear him out.

He needs an excellent defender with pace, height and genuine leadership abilities to tell him what to do and when, then he'll look ok. But be'll still be caught out for pace and be poor in the air and still shrugged off by more physical attackers. He's simply one of those defenders who doesn't have any outstanding attributes and on a good day you'll hardly notice he's playing. We got rid of Blind who has similar limitations, but who actually performed at a higher standard for United. Odd signing, said at the time he was poor in the air and didn't have any outstanding attributes. Maybe he'll improve, but I'd guess the next coach will clear him out.
Disagree slightly. He doesn't need anyone with specific footballing attributes like pace or heading ability, he needs someone commanding and i dont mean someone aggressive or strong either. We need someone who will put in a crunching tackle to set the tone or bring the ball out to break a press. A player who can set the tempo, and it doesn't even need to be a defender. A midfielder can do it. The whole team needs it too, not just him. We don't lack ability but we have no one the players look up to on the pitch.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
It hurts to admit but I agree because from what it looks like his best qualities is reading the game and to be pro active. But the reason I think he won’t make it with us is that his mentality is weak. Against Brighton he again looked scared and almost frozen in his actions. He reacted poorly, took wrong decisions and overall acted without confidence. It’s so strange because this isn’t the guy who we saw playing with Benfica and his NT.

Maybe it’s harsh but I think it’s better for him to move on. United isn’t the right place when you struggle with confidence.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Agreed, I was really disappointed that the one player we have shifted out was Blind. He has more to offer than players who are still here.
I suppose the difference was Blind was clearly wanted back by Ajax and they were happy to pay the proposed fee. On the other hand Darmain's suitors are not prepared to make a substantial offer because they're hoping to get him for next-to nothing as there's a risk he could carry his poor United form to his next club.

Vanya

Its the tactics as much as the players IMO. When you set out with two CBs who have hardly played together and team them up with two attacking fullbacks, then you need to give the CBs more protection.

We needed two sitting DMs in front of the CBs to help them. Average positioning of both CMs shows that they didnt play close enough to the CBs. Also, Periera isnt a DM and his positional sense isnt good enough to play that position.

The positioning and the spacing between players has been all wrong both in attack and defense all of last season and till these tactical problems persist, no player, even if its Varane or reincarnation of Baresi, is going to make a damn difference. Mourinho needs to up his game as much as the players.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Personally I really rate him. I think he’s a good defender with excellent reading of the game. The big question mark is still his physicality, and that will be make or break for him over the next couple of years. One thing I really like is that he has a leaders mentality, you can see him regularly shouting out instructions and marshalling instructions. I think under another manager, in a better system he would be a tremendous player, but then I think that about 99% of our current players. Mourinho is the problem for me.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I suppose the difference was Blind was clearly wanted back by Ajax and they were happy to pay the proposed fee. On the other hand Darmain's suitors are not prepared to make a substantial offer because they're hoping to get him for next-to nothing as there's a risk he could carry his poor United form to his next club.
Yea that’s true, it did indeed help that Ajax really wanted him back and paid the fee as you say. Just disappoints me still is all as I really like Blind, hope he does great back at Ajax.

Grande

Personally I really rate him. I think he’s a good defender with excellent reading of the game. The big question mark is still his physicality, and that will be make or break for him over the next couple of years. One thing I really like is that he has a leaders mentality, you can see him regularly shouting out instructions and marshalling instructions. I think under another manager, in a better system he would be a tremendous player, but then I think that about 99% of our current players. Mourinho is the problem for me.
What you write makes good sense, and I’d like to believe you, but your username makes me unsure.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yea that’s true, it did indeed help that Ajax really wanted him back and paid the fee as you say. Just disappoints me still is all as I really like Blind, hope he does great back at Ajax.
I liked Blind too. I don't think he was starter material in central defence nor in midfield so going home for first team football was a great move I'm glad we were able to facilitate for him. Personally I'm not pining for him but I preferred him to Darmian, who is still here, and at the moment he'd be less likely to be part of the horror show that was our first half vs Brighton, so I can see why he's being mentioned.

Grande

I liked Blind too. I don't think he was starter material in central defence nor in midfield so going home for first team football was a great move I'm glad we were able to facilitate for him. Personally I'm not pining for him but I preferred him to Darmian, who is still here, and at the moment he'd be less likely to be part of the horror show that was our first half vs Brighton, so I can see why he's being mentioned.
Blind I have lots of love for. I think he played above his ability as a CB for a long while in LVGs system, which he knew and understood. Lindelöf is not dissimilar, but better in nearly every aspect of being a CB apart from the decisiveness, which I believe will come.

Blind is a bit of a multi purpose player, and I do think Darmian is a slightly better cover for the two back positions, Blind is a bit too vulnerable on the right side I believe.

Blind and Mata are players I’ll remember with fondness when they are playing for other clubs.

Irwin99

Blind I have lots of love for. I think he played above his ability as a CB for a long while in LVGs system, which he knew and understood. Lindelöf is not dissimilar, but better in nearly every aspect of being a CB apart from the decisiveness, which I believe will come.

Blind is a bit of a multi purpose player, and I do think Darmian is a slightly better cover for the two back positions, Blind is a bit too vulnerable on the right side I believe.

Blind and Mata are players I’ll remember with fondness when they are playing for other clubs.
Yeah, I liked Blind a lot as a centre back. In Jose's first few league games at United we looked good with him and Baily in the team but then that game against City happened and he was never trusted in that position again. It's a shame because he was excellent at playing the ball forward. From the evidence I've seen, Lindeloff isn't as good at playing out from the back but maybe it's confidence thing.

Ekeke

Its the tactics as much as the players IMO. When you set out with two CBs who have hardly played together and team them up with two attacking fullbacks, then you need to give the CBs more protection.

We needed two sitting DMs in front of the CBs to help them. Average positioning of both CMs shows that they didnt play close enough to the CBs. Also, Periera isnt a DM and his positional sense isnt good enough to play that position.

The positioning and the spacing between players has been all wrong both in attack and defense all of last season and till these tactical problems persist, no player, even if its Varane or reincarnation of Baresi, is going to make a damn difference. Mourinho needs to up his game as much as the players.
We could have had Makelele in front of the defense and the individual errors that they made inside their own box wouldnt have changed. I agree that having Andreas and Fred as deep CMs in front of them wasnt ideal but its highly unlikely any DM in world football would have taken up the CB positions and bailed them out from their mistakes. And even if a DM did do that, it would still have been a mistake from the CBs

qubit

You need to make up your mind about what kind of team you want to be. Mediocre teams need one type of defender while the best teams look for other qualities. Victor is comparable to Pique. Pique is a luxury no english team except maybe city could afford. He is often slow and clumpsy when he actually has to defend. If he had to spend every game wrestling strong english type attackers in his own box he would be a complete failure. But he doesn't need to do that because Barcelona understands that you shouldn't let a team like Brighton play to their strength and be in a position where their attackers only needs to wrestle your cb's in the box to score.

A big team need defenders that are suited to defend against other big team attackers and that only help dominate smaller teams without having to actually defend against their low level football. Your problem against Brighton is not your defenders, your problem is that you actually have to defend against a team like that. No one respects your offense, that's why your defenders are put i problematic situations all the time tthat big team defenders shouldn't have to worry about.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Kapardin

Mourinho is not coaching our attack well but no way does he not improve defenders. Let us not absolve Lindelof of his own shortcomings and pin the blame on the manager.

Ekeke

Mourinho is not coaching our attack well but no way does he not improve defenders. Let us not absolve Lindelof of his own shortcomings and pin the blame on the manager.
Which CB has improved with Mourinho as manager of United?

Theres no evidence of that

Foxbatt

I wonder what we do in the training sessions. Are players actually coached? I remember Gary Neville saying that when we played against Barca in the semis, Quiroz actually got the players to move without the ball when they were training. So drilled they were that we beat them and went to the Finals. That is training. Not letting the players decide how to play. From the way we play I do not think there is any particular training in tactics or how to play or how to move the ball or movement off the ball. It seem to be up to the individual players how they want to play. That is why we are so disjointed. I thought apart from the mistake for the first goal he played well.

maizan2502

I have a feeling that he will learn from the Brighton game, and that he will not let this happen again. Would be interesting to see him improve this season. When Matic returns he will definitely have more safety.

Litch

Whether she good enough or not, this is not a team I'd like to be building my confidence at the moment. The pressure is already building and we are 2 games in...

Litch

Is Lindelof going to play for the women’s team? Might be for the best!
I know he's the latest pantomime villain on here but I think the criticism of him is a bit harsh. I think he's a good second CB if you had an exceptional number one. Unfortunately I think that's the same for all the CB's here. Jaap had his fair share of average CB partners here but you'd never know it.

I know he's the latest pantomime villain on here but I think the criticism of him is a bit harsh. I think he's a good second CB if you had an exceptional number one. Unfortunately I think that's the same for all the CB's here. Jaap had his fair share of average CB partners here but you'd never know it.
Cleatly my comment was a joke! It’s not good planning from Jose to have him and Bailly at the club - neither of them are anywhere near the finished article. It needs to be Smalling plus one, and Bailly is ahead of Lindelof. He may turn out to be a good player, but he shouldn’t be near the first team. Perplexing transfer to be honest.

Litch

Cleatly my comment was a joke! It’s not good planning from Jose to have him and Bailly at the club - neither of them are anywhere near the finished article. It needs to be Smalling plus one, and Bailly is ahead of Lindelof. He may turn out to be a good player, but he shouldn’t be near the first team. Perplexing transfer to be honest.
Kind of agree. All the transfers are generally pretty disjointed anyway and there are zero partnerships in the team. Still can't work out why we have ended up with 5 CB's and nearly a 6th. I'm not sure which ever conundrum you use, any really compliment another and it's scary to think it's taking 6 CB's to make one Rio....

I have a feeling that he will learn from the Brighton game, and that he will not let this happen again. Would be interesting to see him improve this season. When Matic returns he will definitely have more safety.
Umm,yeah we said that about his performance against Huddersfield last season.

I really dont see anything in Lindelof's game that suggests he'll be a consistent first team performer here.He has no outstanding attribute that I can see.
Mentally and physically he comes across as a real soft touch.

Granqvist held his hand throughout the WC.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Kostov

You mean like he did from the performance against Huddersfield last season? I have zero faith in him not repeating those shambles. One thing I learned from this bunch of players we have, they learn nothing from their previous mistakes.

Loublaze

ATLien
Umm,yeah we said that about his performance against Huddersfield last season.

I really dont see anything in Lindelof's game that suggests he'll be a consistent first team performer here.He has no outstanding attribute that I can see.
Mentally and physically he comes across as a real soft touch.

Granqvist held his hand throughout the WC.
He broke down during an interview back in Sweden some time before the world cup (a poster from Sweden mentioned it somewhere) after a personal question was asked. Looks are not deceiving in this case. He's a confidence player too. Its a Cancer and water sign trait. Nani suffered from the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.