Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I thought he was a total dud. Excellent today, especially on the ball.

Dr Baltar

Looking very promising.
Much better attack makes life a lot easier for the defenders.

We need to go all out to get Godin. 2-4 years with the best defender in the world could make Lindelof into a great player.

Godin, Godin, Godin

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I really like him. He needs to keep improving his defensive attributes and he will have a decent possibility of making it here.

Ban

Not just the way he plays but his demeanor has changed. He looks like a player who is full of confidence.

Bwuk

He’s the only one of of CB options worth persisting with.

Big fan of Lindelof. I was initially very sceptical but maybe he just needed the time to settle. Last year he looked so nervous the majority of the time.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I’ve just asked in the post match thread but are we sure he can’t play in midfield if we ever have a need? Got good vision as well he does.

A-man

I’ve just asked in the post match thread but are we sure he can’t play in midfield if we ever have a need? Got good vision as well he does.
Anything is possible but I have never seen him play midfield and it feels like he is more needed as a CB than in the midfield?

Jazz

Anything is possible but I have never seen him play midfield and it feels like he is more needed as a CB than in the midfield?
Yeah I know we need him as a CB. He just looks great when he gets in more offensive positions. I’m just a bit worried we have no replacement for Natic as such who could use a rest. I guess if all the cb’s are healthy and we have a crisis..? I dunno. Was really impressed with him yesterday. He looks great when you see him live! Unbelievable how increased confidence has really allowed him to shine. Hope he keeps it up.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Why is it that any defender half decent on the ball gets a bunch of people asking if they can play in midfield?

1) There's a huge difference between being good on the ball as a defender and good enough on it to play in midfield.

2) It's a tremendous advantage to have a defender so comfortable on the ball, so why would you want to lose that by moving them out of there?

Jazz

Why is it that any defender half decent on the ball gets a bunch of people asking if they can play in midfield?

1) There's a huge difference between being good on the ball as a defender and good enough on it to play in midfield.

2) It's a tremendous advantage to have a defender so comfortable on the ball, so why would you want to lose that by moving them out of there?
Don’t be so serious mate just wondering

Jazz

I do want a response :wenger: yeah i know we always wonder about a cb who is a good passer but this is the first time I really feel like this guy could be possible. Maybe try it one day when we’re 5 nil up:D

A-man

I do want a response :wenger: yeah i know we always wonder about a cb who is a good passer but this is the first time I really feel like this guy could be possible. Maybe try it one day when we’re 5 nil up:D
I can see the point if the the midfielders were injured all the time and central defenders always fit, but now it is the opposite. But of course it is always good to have flexibility of switching positions if you change the game plan during a match.

Litch

Just a reminder that sometimes a bit of patience goes a long, long way. Ok some may yet to be completely convinced but he's miles better than people gave him a credit for.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Been constantly excellent since November. I really really like this guy.

Bola

Not just the way he plays but his demeanor has changed. He looks like a player who is full of confidence.
I had concerns about his mental resiliance, as after a few games, his confidence seemed totally shot, with him easily getting bullied off the ball and him rarely trying 'ball playing' passes

This season he has slowly improved and even more so under OGS. I wonder if it was the toxic atmosphere holding him back or whether he needed time to settle?

Some question marks still on the physical aspects of his game (particularly heading), but I'm very happy to have been proved wrong that he was going to be a flop. Now he has cemented his place in the team, he needs to push on an establish himself as one of the best CBs in the league (and do more heading!)

red4ever 79

Our best CB. Love watching him bring the ball out and playing long passes. Seems to have toughened up a bit which is great. Will get better and better. If we can sign a top class CB in the summer and partner him with Lindelof, then have Smalling, Bailly and Tuanzebe to be squad players next season will be great.

Kostov

I didn't see the game, but reading comments here it looks like he had a good game again. Very pleased with that, and thankfully he's proving me wrong and we have a good CB in our hands.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I had concerns about his mental resiliance, as after a few games, his confidence seemed totally shot, with him easily getting bullied off the ball and him rarely trying 'ball playing' passes

This season he has slowly improved and even more so under OGS. I wonder if it was the toxic atmosphere holding him back or whether he needed time to settle?

Some question marks still on the physical aspects of his game (particularly heading), but I'm very happy to have been proved wrong that he was going to be a flop. Now he has cemented his place in the team, he needs to push on an establish himself as one of the best CBs in the league (and do more heading!)
He was very nervous and clearly had not settled. He playing timid and not aggressive which is usually what happens when you’re a bit shy.

He’s settled in now and feels like he belongs. Similar to how DDG was at first.

I have no worries about him anymore.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Problem will be getting Smalling to work as an LCB, he has almost exclusively played RCB for us.
It will be interesting. We might try hil as a LCB again. Its not certain that his progress is due to playing on the righ.

I’m also curious about Smalling. He was probably better unde van Gaal (despite playing next to McNair, CBJ and a lof of poor players). Maybe he can solve a few of our worries?

People trying to understand the different attitude need to consider how difficult it is to perform in a toxic environment. Anyone remember this quote from Mou after the EL-final:

«I even joked with Smalling - 'With your feet, we're for sure not playing out from the back!'»

Dyslexic Untied

Much more aggressive these days, which I think has to do partly with confidence and partly with our style of play (pushing up our center backs more instead of dropping off from pressure).

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Great. Him and Shaw could have done better ontheir goal, but looks just as good on the left today.

Bobski

Different player. Hands up, did not see him becoming this player, he was so meek and passive in his first season here. Looks hungry to defend now, proactive, reading the game, moving decisively, very impressive.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
He's a really good defender, but his confidence on the ball is something else. Reminds me of Hummels in his Dortmund days.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Again fantastic. I can only imagine how good he will be with another class defender( if we buy him).

AgentP

This has to be some transformation. If anyone had told me that he'd playing this well last year, I would have laughed at their face.

A-man

Good game, but some of his passing skills are wasted when he played to the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.