Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

R'hllor

Dunno why people are surprised with that duck thing, you remember him ducking in a pre season?

Raven

Nah I’m not having that. Last season it was smallings fault that lindelof was shite, this season maguires to blame and now it’s jones fault too. Jones is shite we know but when are people gonna realize what a liability lindelof is in the defense
Lindelof was class last season next to Smalling?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not in my eyes he wasn’t, been saying it since he signed. He can’t head a ball, unheard of for a CB, he’s too passive and needs someone to babysit him because he’s full of mistakes waiting to happen. He had a small purple patch but that doesn’t mean he’s a good defender. He’s simply not good enough and I don’t think I’ll ever change that opinion.

Put smalling alongside maguire and you’d see a vastly superior defensive pairing

Red_toad

He was class v Juve. But pretty average to poor for the majority of the season. Smalling actually covered a lot of his weaknesses and would be a better partner for Maguire. But hey ho that’s not going to happens, so hopefully we develop or purchase an upgrade on lindelof.

SATA

Jose has bought this club lots of trash. Bailly is a disaster as well. Not sure if it’s our system or what but these two have been absolutely appalling individually

DoomSlayer

He was truly pathetic last night. The amount of times he had no idea where the ball was going in defensive positions and when fighting for it was embarrassing to watch. I've lost all hope with him.

Rajma

He was class v Juve. But pretty average to poor for the majority of the season. Smalling actually covered a lot of his weaknesses and would be a better partner for Maguire. But hey ho that’s not going to happens, so hopefully we develop or purchase an upgrade on lindelof.
It may happen if Ole goes.

Eugenius

Clearly a trainwreck first half from him, but anyone who watches him regularly and objectively can see it was only a matter of time before he had one of these performances.

He is completely useless at winning any sort of 50/50, challenge or header convincingly which invites so much unnecessary pressure on the defence. Any sensible CB would have sent that header far up the pitch for the 2nd goal and left one in on Gundogan in the process (it's a derby and Cup semi final..).

He also consistently jogs around without urgency, not picking up anyone, marking space and not sensing danger - game in, game out. And again we saw that with the 2nd and 3rd goal.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's fine as a squad player. If the Barcelona rumour was true then take the cash
Yes. Never a starter. Shame that we still haven't resolved the CB issue.
I don't even like having him as a squaddie, to be honest. It's no good having a CB who not only can't head the ball and loses the majority of his challenges in general, but is a cowardly player on top of that, too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He can't head, he's not big or strong so can't dominate a forward, he's not rapidly fast, his passing is fine when he's not pressured - pressure him and he melts like the iceman.

Smalling is and always was the better CB. We've mugged ourselves off again by keeping this guy.

Maguire and Smalling would have been a great partnership. We've been conned into him being a ball playing defender but I don't think he's any better than our other CB.

I hope Bailly comes back and has the form of his life and benches this clown.

A-man

It is so much overreactions right now. He had 20-30 poor minutes in a match and some bad patches in the match before, after playing so many matches the last month it is not strange. He has shown against all top teams that he can perform at that level. He needs some rest and like all defenders a midfield that performs better than last match, that’s all. But I doubt he’s getting some rest since the backups are never fit.

He'sRaldo

It is so much overreactions right now. He had 20-30 poor minutes in a match and some bad patches in the match before, after playing so many matches the last month it is not strange. He has shown against all top teams that he can perform at that level. He needs some rest and like all defenders a midfield that performs better than last match, that’s all. But I doubt he’s getting some rest since the backups are never fit.
We've been saying the same all season, and you keep calling it overreactions. When will it be reacting normally to what we're seeing?

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
The man can not defend. He's garbage.

He'sRaldo

So I guess United have conceded most goals in the PL then?
He's been playing with quality teammates who bail him out. Still, we concede at least a goal every game, with very few clean sheets.

A-man

He's been playing with quality teammates who bail him out. Still, we concede a goal every game with very few clean sheets.
So basically what you’re saying is that United have one of the best defensive records in PL despite of Lindelof being super poor, because the other players- AWB, Maguire, Shaw, Young and DDG- are so amazing that they bail him out every game?
Would you also say that more or less all goals conceded are his fault? Or how many of the 25 conceded would you say are because of Lindelof?

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
So I guess United have conceded most goals in the PL then?
If you had eyes you'd see he is not what we should settle for. The way he just stands off when being dribbled at is the most infuriating thing about him.

Eugenius

So basically what you’re saying is that United have one of the best defensive records in PL despite of Lindelof being super poor, because the other players- AWB, Maguire, Shaw, Young and DDG- are so amazing that they bail him out every game?
Would you also say that more or less all goals conceded are his fault? Or how many of the 25 conceded would you say are because of Lindelof?
We had one of the best defensive records until Lindelof started playing.

He'sRaldo

Yes, the better quality defenders are bailing him out. When he was playing with Young full-time last season, we saw how that went. You're the one who brought up our record this season. Why not bring up the record for last season without Maguire and AWB?

Yagami

Good post resistant
We've been saying the same all season, and you keep calling it overreactions. When will it be reacting normally to what we're seeing?
To be fair, bar a purple patch, it's been more like since he joined nearly three years ago. He's just terrible.

Ekeke

I don't even like having him as a squaddie, to be honest. It's no good having a CB who not only can't head the ball and loses the majority of his challenges in general, but is a cowardly player on top of that, too.
I feel like you can find weaknesses in City's backup CBs too. A bit less in Liverpool's but still, as a backup squad player I think hes at a fine level

A-man

If you had eyes you'd see he is not what we should settle for. The way he just stands off when being dribbled at is the most infuriating thing about him.
I thought he was the only defender in the PL that hasn’t been dribbled yet? But you say that’s the most infuriating thing about him”.

We had one of the best defensive records until Lindelof started playing.
We have one of the best defensive records in PL and Europa League this season.

Yes, the better quality defenders are bailing him out. When he was playing with Young full-time last season, we saw how that went. You're the one who brought up our record this season. Why not bring up the record for last season without Maguire and AWB?
So how many of the 25 conceded goals are because of Lindelof? Roughly?

Agree with you that AWB and Maguire are upgrades compared to young and Smalling.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I feel like you can find weaknesses in City's backup CBs too. A bit less in Liverpool's but still, as a backup squad player I think hes at a fine level
Weaknesses, sure, but I think most of them can head a ball and aren't as cowardly in challenges as him.

Even as a backup, I wouldn't feel confident having him here to sometimes be relied upon as he can't even do the basics as a CB.

He'sRaldo

So how many of the 25 conceded goals are because of Lindelof? Roughly?
He's not proactive, so the right question would be, how many situations would a more proactive defender have prevented from happening in the first place?

His inactivity might make you believe he's not making mistakes, but the mistake he's making is actually not being more active, more proactive. That being said, he has made a few glaring errors this season.

Last edited:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Weaknesses, sure, but I think most of them can head a ball and aren't as cowardly in challenges as him.

Even as a backup, I wouldn't feel confident having him here to sometimes be relied upon as he can't even do the basics as a CB.
Bit rich criticising him for every little thing while praising Harry Maguire for being best transfer of all times. The gap isn't even that big this year, I am not Lindelof's fan by any means but he's had many games in which he was better than yer boy Maguire. If he isn't good to be a squaddie then Maguire shoudn't be a starter either, which is bit over the top.

criticalanalysis

I thought he was the only defender in the PL that hasn’t been dribbled yet? But you say that’s the most infuriating thing about him”.
I was reading the Zlatan thread and noticed you made some insightful comments about his upbringing, how he's perceived in Sweden and all that stuff about his Malmo background. It was some good reading as well as some interesting context that gives us another perspecting on the big man. You then said you would pay money just to get a Serie A pass to watch him play. For me that shows you do indeed like to watch varied football and you're a big follower of the sport...

Then it dawned on me, it was so bloody obvious. You're either Swedish or just massively invested in Swedish footballers.

That's absolutely fine but you need to know when to take off your blinkered glasses when faced with overwhelming evidence and opinions from Utd fans. Bolded bit there because we're judging a player on his worth to Utd and not as sole fans of him.

Don't apologise for being a fanboy but you need to give up trying to change the narrative and accuse the dozens of us here who are calling a spade, indeed a spade.

A-man

He's not proactive, so the right question would be, how many situations would a more proactive defender have prevented from happening in the first place?

His inactivity might make you believe he's not making mistakes, but the mistake he's making is actually not being more active, more proactive. that said, he has made a few glaring errors this season.
Ok but I assume that you can look through all that and estimate roughly how many of the 25 conceded goals that were his fault or how many that would have been avoided by an average CB.

This is how the list of conceded goals for the top 6 teams:

Liverpool 14
Leicester 19
City 24
United 25
Chelsea 29
Tottenham 30

Where would you put United with an average defender instead of Lindelof?
10 goals better? Like Liverpool? Best in the league? Or only 6 goals better like Leicester?

I am seriously interested in your number.

Last edited:

A-man

I was reading the Zlatan thread and noticed you made some insightful comments about his upbringing, how he's perceived in Sweden and all that stuff about his Malmo background. It was some good reading as well as some interesting context that gives us another perspecting on the big man. You then said you would pay money just to get a Serie A pass to watch him play. For me that shows you do indeed like to watch varied football and you're a big follower of the sport...

Then it dawned on me, it was so bloody obvious. You're either Swedish or just massively invested in Swedish footballers.

That's absolutely fine but you need to know when to take off your blinkered glasses when faced with overwhelming evidence and opinions from Utd fans. Bolded bit there because we're judging a player on his worth to Utd and not as sole fans of him.

Don't apologise for being a fanboy but you need to give up trying to change the narrative and accuse the dozens of us here who are calling a spade, indeed a spade.
I have told you before that me and us all are coloured in our opinions. I am the first to admit that. Yes I am a fan of many of United players, example Lindelof, Maguire, AWB and Pogba. I may not judge them in an objective way. It is however sad that liking United players is so controversial in this forum.

I am still of the opinion that he has been good this season. He was poor last match, or at least during first half.But he’s been overall good and I think he needs some rest. It’s not just me who think so. He’s been getting ratings 6-7 for most matches from journalists, been playing well against all top teams.

Lindelof is a player who would massively improve with a proper midfield. This is how he and Smalling opposite imo. Smalling is great in a poor team where he can clear the ball all night long. But he is poor in a dominant team who need to shuffle around the ball fast or play through press. Lindelof is the opposite. In my non-objective opinion.

And thanks for the kind words about my Zlatan post, I appreciate it.

He'sRaldo

Ok but I assume that you can look through all that and estimate roughly how many of the 25 conceded goals that were his fault or how many that would have been avoided by an average CB.

This is how the list of conceded goals for the top 6 teams:

Liverpool 14
Leicester 19
City 24
United 25
Chelsea 29
Tottenham 30

Where would you put United with an average defender instead of Lindelof?
10 goals better? Like Liverpool? Best in the league? Or only 6 goals better like Leicester?

I am seriously interested in your number.
I'd say around the same, because I think Lindelof is an average defender, while Maguire and AWB are very good.

If we were to get an AWB caliber defender to replace Lindelof, I'd say around Liverpool or Leicester numbers, which is what we've gotten historically (best or 2nd best defence). By the way, wasn't City's defence an injured shambles for a good chunk of the season?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Here's a screenshot of him ducking for the first goal by Silva:

I noticed this. I don't think the ball would have hit him, but it's just... What is he doing there? I get that the City player doesn't want to be in the way for a shot but surely a defender should at least stand up in case he can block it, not hide like a pussy. Just look at that freezframe. I'm not a professional footballer and probably just a bit of a pussy in sports generally, but I wouldn't even duck like that. Truly bizarre player. Not a real defender really. A defender needs to be a bit tougher than the soft attackers, this guy isn't. He gets physically bullied by semi-soft midfielders like Gundogan. It is a huge problem.

A-man

I'd say around the same, because I think Lindelof is an average defender, while Maguire and AWB are very good.

If we were to get an AWB caliber defender to replace Lindelof, I'd say around Liverpool or Leicester numbers, which is what we've gotten historically (best or 2nd best defence). By the way, wasn't City's defence an injured shambles for a good chunk of the season?
I agree Maguire and AWB have been very good and also better than Lindelof. But he’s still been good imo. And I don’t think another 80 million CB mean 14 conceded goals in 21 matches as the midfield would still need to be improved. Also many goals come from individual mistakes.

City have had many defenders injured this season. If we look at United they have had Rojo, Jones, Tuanzebe, Bailly, Shaw, Dalot, and now Maguire injured, so it hasn’t been optimal by any means. Most of those injuries have been long term injuries as well. I thought both Maguire and Lindelof looked like they needed some rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.