Victor Lindelöf | Officially signs

TheBiggest

A little baffle by some of the posts about Lindelof with regards his style of play.

Sloppy? Ball-player?

Can't agree with those descriptions.

Lindelof is a top-notch reader of the game. He snuffs out danger before it happens. He is Ferdinand-like in that regard. A quick centre-half with his feet AND his brain. Maybe the YouTube clips y'all are watching is showing him on the ball much moreso then he actually does when you watch him over a longer period. I'm excited about this signing...I was excited when we were linked in January. Without hyperbole, I think Lindelof and Bailly can really form a superb partnership. They'll totally compliment each other; Bailly can be a bit rash, but Lindelof is cool as it gets.

Exciting signing.

I'm still a little gutted that we seem to be relying on Morata to solve what is clearly our biggest problem..there are a dozen strikers I'd have a preference for over Morata.

Giggsy92

How good is he in the air? Would be a bit of a worry if he's like Bailly in that regard.

Donut

Okay, lets try to sum up what i think you should expect off Victor.

I've seen him play in Sweden since the Euro u-21 in 2015. As off now i think Victor is one of the best playing and passing central backs in the world. He is incredibly secure with the ball, and has for being a defender amazing ball control. He is also a very fast defender but just like Bailly a bit all over the place. He is aggressiv in a good way but it can cause him problems when taking risks and running to much against attackers. With all this in mind it is very important to notice how much Victor has developed the last 2 years. Before Euro u-21 he did not even play in Benficas first team. He was called in to the Euros as a reserv and became one of the best players in the whole tournament from out of nowhere. In this two-year period he has gone from playing in Benfica B to being brilliant in Euro u-21, to lead the Benfica defensive-line in Champions League, to be bought to United. We have to take a moment to realize what an insane period this has been for Victor. Expecting him being a finished world-class defender from day 1 is probably asking to much. His safety on the ball, his pace and his ball control is world-class, no doubt about it. But seeing him in Sweden for the last 2 years, i still don't se his defensive-game as anything special. I also have concerns about him and Bailly playing together with both being the same kind of aggressive, young, and a bit sloppy defenders. That is of course of yet. In the way Victor has developed the last two years, and with his age in mind, he can become incredibly good. His potential is extraordinary. He is also a very smart and disciplined person who has the character to learn and adjust to whatever a manager wants him to be.

He can really become that safe, all-round, world-class defender with both defensive-qualities, that he has to develop, but with the control and passing-game that he already has, that United-fans are longing for.
Sounds like Daniel Agger.

MrSingh2002

He'd be a stunning addition IMO.

Here is why I think so, but first, let's recall why we were a powerhouse back in 2006-2013 earned 5 BPL titles, 1 CL (not to mentioned countless time being in final rounds of CL ).
- A very talent and flexible attack force ( RVN, Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney, Giggs, RVPersie, or by some extend Berbatov ).
- Some serious bosses in midfield (Carrick, Anderson, Fletcher, PJS [At their peak] and the legend Paul Scholes)
- A Catenaccio-Esque Back 4 ( Evra-Vidic-Ferdinand-Brown/Oshea/Rafael)
- Edwin VDS
And of course, these fantastic players were managed by the greatest manager ever: Sir Alex Ferguson.
Basically, at that period, we were a well-balanced team, starting from defense all the way to the attack.

IF we managed to land Fabinho and Morata which I find highly likely. I expected us to play 4-1-2-3 :

David De Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Lindelof - Blind
Fabinho
Herrera - Pogba
Mkhitaryan - Morata - Rashford​
Compare to a 2008 line up:
Van der Sar
Brown - Vidic - Ferdinand - Evra
Hargreaves - Scholes - Carrick - Cristiano Ronaldo
Tevez - Rooney​

I find some sort of similarities here:
- Morata will be the key forward (like Tevez) while Pogba can play as a #10 and push back to support defense when in need (Rooney)
- Herrera is actually a good ball-winning MF who good at short pass while Fabinho and Pogba could place some deadly long ball forward. Herrera/Fabinho excel in ball-recovering which will give Pogba his freedom to support the attack.
- The right wing should be where we explore more, compare to left wing at we have Valencia/Mkhitaryan here. Blind can also help our counter-attack with his renown long pass.
- This is where it get interesting, Lindelof - Bailly combo. I don't know why but this 2 CBs give me a feeling that they're gonna be our next Vidic-Ferdinand. Bailly seems more like Vidic with the warrior blood in his vein and some time being reckless when diving into a tackle ( average 2,4 tackles/game). On the other hands, Lindelof's calmness strikes me as the resemblance to Ferdinand. From what I have heard/watched so far, Lindelof is a smart ball playing CB who rarely dive into the tackle, and that, make me confidence that he shall be a perfect match for Bailly for years to come.

Nevertheless, There absolutely no way this side can compare with 2008 CL winning side. The team is still fairly young though, who knows, maybe in 3 or 4 years more, we will win CL again with this side :)
Good post. Add Mendy LB and Griezmann number 10 then we can talk of a side good enough to rival that 2008 side.

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Lindelof Mendy
Fabinho Pogba
Mkhitaryan Griezmann Martial
Morata
Evra and Ronaldo are pretty much irreplaceable which we have found since they left. The only current winger with the potential to get close to Ronnie at United would be Martial but he needs to move up a level or two yet if he really wants that.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Most of the reports in this thread are mentioning it.

Bailly is just so weird. His timing with interceptions is great, but he times his headers completely wrong, he's always on the way down and usually hits them with the top of his head.
Bailly does look a bit bizarre with his turtle style jumping. It's like he's unable to tell when the ball will hit his head.

Reiz

Good post. Add Mendy LB and Griezmann number 10 then we can talk of a side good enough to rival that 2008 side.

De Gea
Fabinho Pogba
Mkhitaryan Griezmann Martial
Morata
Evra and Ronaldo are pretty much irreplaceable which we have found since they left. The only current winger with the potential to get close to Ronnie at United would be Martial but he needs to move up a level or two yet if he really wants that.
Agree with Mendy part, but isn't Griezmann natural position is exactly the same as Ronnie (LW 2008)? If we pull of Griezmann deal in let's say, January, I think Mou with probably go like this
De Gea
Fabinho Herrera
Mkhitaryan Pogba Griezmann
Morata
Well, that a superb balance team, and definitely can challenge the 2008 side if the players bond well .

TehRed

The upcoming partnership of Bailly and Lindelof is the second coming of Vidic and Rio in terms of mentality and playing styles. Hopefully they can develop the understanding and show the quality that Vidic and Rio had too. With the current ages of Bailly and Lindelof, we could be sorted at center back for nearly the next 10 years here.

SAFicus

Very excited to see this lad playing for United.

Reminds me of when Mourinho signed Zouma at Chelsea and I still think his future is exceedingly bright if given the chance and injury free.

padr81

Supports
Man City
A little baffle by some of the posts about Lindelof with regards his style of play.

Sloppy? Ball-player?

Can't agree with those descriptions.

Lindelof is a top-notch reader of the game. He snuffs out danger before it happens. He is Ferdinand-like in that regard. A quick centre-half with his feet AND his brain. Maybe the YouTube clips y'all are watching is showing him on the ball much moreso then he actually does when you watch him over a longer period. I'm excited about this signing...I was excited when we were linked in January. Without hyperbole, I think Lindelof and Bailly can really form a superb partnership. They'll totally compliment each other; Bailly can be a bit rash, but Lindelof is cool as it gets.

Exciting signing.

I'm still a little gutted that we seem to be relying on Morata to solve what is clearly our biggest problem..there are a dozen strikers I'd have a preference for over Morata.
You can't say that. I got slaughtered for saying he's not a ball playing CB on the last page. The guy is clearly the Pirlo of CB's and I know nothing cause I'm a City fan...

Of all the descriptions I've read of him here, yours is the the most honest and like the Lindelof I've seen.

padr81

Supports
Man City
That would come from people who have followed his career very closely at Benfica.
Obviously not very closely because the guy is far from a ball playing CB. Having a cool head on his shoulders doesn't make him great with his feet.

That's exactly what I thought after reading his post too. To be fair, if Stones is the ball player CB he has been accustomed to, then lindelof isn't the same. He seem to unable to pass it straight to opposition players and get caught out of position like stones
Stones is a ball playing defender, albeit a poor one. Lindelof is not. Lindelof is a very calm and composed defender but for all his faults with the ball at their feet and Stones playing in a much tougher league Stones is much more a ball player than Lindelof (despite being terrible)

As for Stones passing to opposition compared to Lindelof. Considering Stones is in a much tougher league... Stones has a better attack score, more passes per 90 minutes and better passing accuracy according to Squawka. Lindelof doesn't have near the technique Stones has, what makes Lindelof way better than Stones is he has 10 times the brain and is 10 times the defender.

He is quite both footed. But yes he is dominant left.

Also some poster called him "fake Vidic," I thought he is more Rio than Vida...
I swear some of you posters comment on players you've never seen play @Steven7290.

Lindelöf is dominant right footed, but can use his left. I mean he hits free-kicks with his right peg ffs, you can spot that within 10 minutes of watching the bloke.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I swear some of you posters comment on players you've never seen play @Steven7290.

Lindelöf is dominant right footed, but can use his left. I mean he hits free-kicks with his right peg ffs, you can spot that within 10 minutes of watching the bloke.
He also plays or has played RB

Wythenshawe

I quote myself from the Transfer-thread:

I've actually watched Victors development from when he was just 15 years old playing for my local club (which I played for myself for almost 15 years). Well, of course, I missed watching him a couple of years when he was in Benfica B but still..
The thing with him is that he always seems adept to the level of play.
He was good, not dominant, in the team which won Swedish third tier and got promoted to the second tier. He was good, not dominant, in the second tier. When he got called up to the Swedish u-21 team he was good, not dominant. The same for when he finally had the chance in Benfica and Swedens national team. The thing is, that's what you want from central defenders. Do your work, never mess up. No need to be "dominant" and be the shining star every game.

He's really good with his feet. Calm and controlled with quality passes. He is also pretty good in the air with ambitions "to never lose a header". I think he would be a good partner for Bailly with his quality set up passes and good position play.

As some has pointed out, he is very good with both feets which is a nice quality as well.
Also glad my sources was right about this deal - i'm pretty confident this was almost a closed deal already in january. The hold up was due to fights between Benfica and Västerås SK about the sell on-clauses. So stoked about seeing him play at Old Trafford. Go Victor!

Wythenshawe

Can add that he was calm even as a 15-16 year old kid, so the Iceman-nickname is well deserved. And he started his professional career as a RB and i'm confident he could still bring it as a RB since he has pretty good pace and a great foot.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Obviously not very closely because the guy is far from a ball playing CB. Having a cool head on his shoulders doesn't make him great with his feet.
I guess the 90% passing accuracy and over 1100 passes does, then.

Are you Portuguese? Do you frequently watch Liga NOS? If not, I imagine @Sly, and the other Portuguese-viewing fans, and the Portuguese viewing journalists like Jan Hagen would have a better idea than you on the subject.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
sounds like a fantastic signing and for the long term. But it's worth cautioning, it will take him months to adjust, just like it did Vidic, Evra, Rojo and others who arrived from foreign leagues.

I don't think it worth upsetting an already stable defensive system by rushing him into the first team. I expect a slow and gradual introduction into English football, with him forming a more permanent partnership with Bailly in the 2nd half of next season.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Are you Portuguese? Do you frequently watch Liga NOS? If not, I imagine @Sly, and the other Portuguese-viewing fans, and the Portuguese viewing journalists like Jan Hagen would have a better idea than you on the subject.
I am, and Sly is correct about Victor, even as a Sporting fan, the only problem I can see for Lindelof is on the physical side in England, regarding inteligence of play and technical ability no way Stones is better than him.

But imo he needs to adapt to the physical battles in England, he is more the type of player who plays in anticipating and reading fast the movements of opponents.

I even think if we compare him with Bailly when he left Villareal, I think Victor at least has more Champions League experience.

AR87

You can't say that. I got slaughtered for saying he's not a ball playing CB on the last page. The guy is clearly the Pirlo of CB's and I know nothing cause I'm a City fan...
Mate, it has nothing to do with you being a City fan, it has to do with you being wrong and then challenging posters who watch Portuguese football frequently and have likely watched him far more than you by questioning how often they've watched him.

padr81

Supports
Man City

I don't understand why your all so touchy. Does not being Portugese or not watching much of Liga NOS mean I am not entitled to an opinion.
I just don't see it in him and I've watched him play around 20 times. Its not a bad thing. He's a fantastic young CB, I even said a deal that costs £30m is cheap. Of course I haven't seen as much of him as alot of people, passes can be taken in any context. John Stones has 92% accuracy, yet on the last page, one of the people who said Lindelof is better as Stones gives the ball away more.

I just don't see the technique in him on the ball or even see that he likes to play ball. In comparison to someone like Stones (whose pretty poor), but I see far better ball players in guys like Alderwiereld, Dier (who's admittedly an MC who plays alot CB). I'm not slating the guy or anything I just agree with the opinion of The Biggest, his post is the type of player I see when I've seen Lindelof. A good young defender whose calm under pressure, has great positioning for his age but imho he's decent on the ball but not a ball playing CB. I'll put it this way in what I've seen of him, he defends like Rio but he certainly doesn't have the ability with the ball of someone like Rio.

I'm not trying to piss on your shiny new signing or anything. I think he's fantastic.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Mate, it has nothing to do with you being a City fan, it has to do with you being wrong and then challenging posters who watch Portuguese football frequently and have likely watched him far more than you by questioning how often they've watched him.
The same posters for example who say Stones constantly gives the ball away despite him having a better accuracy and more successful passes per 90 than Lindelof. As I said having lots of passes is good, but he's playing in a team that dominate. He reminds me of Rio defensively but not on the ball who I would regard as probably the best bpd I've seen in the Prem.

In the last 2 pages of this thread alone 12ounceEpilogue and TheBiggest have both said the same thing as me and you guys are acting like I'm an army of one trying to put down your new signing which is simply not true.

Irrational.

For the first time in an eon, we'll have a couple of CB's that are comfortable on the ball and who's first thoughts when receiving the ball aren't "oh, shit", or "I must hoof this". :drool:

AR87

The same posters for example who say Stones constantly gives the ball away despite him having a better accuracy and more successful passes per 90 than Lindelof. As I said having lots of passes is good, but he's playing in a team that dominate. He reminds me of Rio defensively but not on the ball who I would regard as probably the best bpd I've seen in the Prem.

In the last 2 pages of this thread alone 12ounceEpilogue and TheBiggest have both said the same thing as me and you guys are acting like I'm an army of one trying to put down your new signing which is simply not true.
Lindelof completes more forward passes than Stones as well. He's good on the ball. You're entitled to your opinion, but it flies in the face of what are considered his strengths by many who watch the Portuguese league frequently.

Ekeke

How did he perform in the CL?
Benfica conceded 10 goals, scored 10 goals, in 6 group games, conceding 4 away at Napoli, and 3 away at Besiktas. Then later they lost 4-0 at Dortmund - so defence was their weak point but especially away from home.

So average... Hopefully he does a lot, lot better here.

Here's a video of highlights from the Dortmund game.

I know an English CB who would get slaughtered for at least 1, maybe 2 of those goals if those were his efforts.

Last edited:

Steven7290

Haha then it is my terrible observation then. I watched him a total of 3 matches and I could have sworn he played ball with his left way more than his right, even his tackling too.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Benfica conceded 10 goals, scored 10 goals, in 6 group games, conceding 4 away at Napoli, and 3 away at Besiktas. Then later they lost 4-0 at Dortmund - so defence was their weak point but especially away from home.

I know an English CB who would get slaughtered for at least 1, maybe 2 of those goals if those were his efforts.
Do you know at least when teams suffer goals is not only the central defenders who have to defend right?

Ekeke

Do you know at least when teams suffer goals is not only the central defenders who have to defend right?
Suffer goals? I didnt realize he was hurt.

Of course he's not individually to blame for all of the goals. He gets caught out 1 time, maybe if you're being harsh on the last one he could have done a little more.

Would Chris Smalling get hammered for doing that though? Absolutely.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Suffer goals? I didnt realize he was hurt.

Of course he's not individually to blame for all of the goals. He gets caught out 1 time, maybe if you're being harsh on the last one he could have done a little more.

Would Chris Smalling get hammered for doing that though? Absolutely.
Suffer, related with hurt, dunno nothing about that, Mourinho will make him better, if it will be at the first moment, 6 months, 1 year nobody knows, the potential is there, Smalling I don't say nothing about him.

prath92

Southampton conceded 3 against crystal palace and 4 against spurs with van dijk in the team. Is he average too?

Geekie

Oh yes behold the extravagant praise and hype for some new incoming player. I'd rather be skeptical about him now and (hopefully) be pleasantly surprised later, than follow the hype train and slag the player off when he does not meet our expectation. Anyway I hope he's the answer to our centre-back problem, although the Bailly-Lindelof partnership concerns me, since both are very young and inexperienced (yes there will be rotations but everyone seems to agree that these two would be first choice). Would anyone care to give me a recent example of a team succeeding (actually winning something) with two young centre backs?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Every side concedes goals and thank god since Football would be boring if they did not.