Victor Lindelöf

Status
Not open for further replies.

the hea

According to A Bola Mourinho want us to sign him in January.

http://www.abola.pt/clubes/ver.aspx?t=3&id=640190

Jose Mourinho will be considering the hiring of Victor Lindelof in the reopening of the transfer market, in January.

Reports from England, published by the Daily Mail, give an account of the possibility of Manchester United making the SAD incarnate a proposal for the contest of the central defender in the winter window.

Lindelof, along with José Giménez, Uruguayan international of Atletico Madrid, will be the priority targets of Mourinho to reinforce the axis of the defense, sector in which it is debated with the absences, by injury, of Eric Bailly and Chris Smalling.

Lindelof is linked to Benfica until 2020, with a termination clause of 30 million euros.

Chelsea, Juventus, Naples and Paris Saint-Germain have also been singled out as potential candidates to hire the 22-year-old Swede.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
From what i read in the portuguese media, Benfica and Mendes gave a chance to United match Bayern's offer but United chose not to. So in my opinion he didn't choose Bayern over United. Your club just didn't to make any deal at that value.
From what I remember the player himself said he chose Bayern because he didn't want to work with lvg

izec

Just media guessing. We need a CB and get thrown in in every rumour.

Van Dijk, Gimenez, Lindelöf etc.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think we'll add a defender or two in January. Mou can't possibly rely on the pack of wimps and injury prone players he's got in defense

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think we'll add a defender or two in January. Mou can't possibly rely on the pack of wimps and injury prone players he's got in defense
No team in the PL 15/16 conceded less than those wimps, minus the 30 mill signing of Bailly. That is despite mayor injury concerns. A better manager would rely on Tuanzebe as backup. Mourinho dont have the balls, and prefers a Jones that is "not ready".

I'n not entirely convinced by Lindelof. I would probably prefer Michael Keane.

devilish

No team in the PL 15/16 conceded less than those wimps, minus the 30 mill signing of Bailly. That is despite mayor injury concerns. A better manager would rely on Tuanzebe as backup. Mourinho dont have the balls, and prefers a Jones that is "not ready".

I'n not entirely convinced by Lindelof. I would probably prefer Michael Keane.
We were playing the most defensive system united had ever had. Also the problem is that most of these wimps can barely start and finish a season without spending a couple of weeks in the treatment room. Its embarrassing

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
We were playing the most defensive system united had ever had. Also the problem is that most of these wimps can barely start and finish a season without spending a couple of weeks in the treatment room. Its embarrassing
I agree. But Mourinho is not exactly a daredevil either. In my opinion taking the job from van Gaal should be a dream come true considering how far he came from realizing the players potential. On top of that he trained the player in a manner that provoked a lot of injuries.

If a good manager took over from van Gaal he should, in my opinion, be able to get ten to twenty percent more from the same squad by getting more from each player and training them "healtier". (Ten percent in PL-points would have taken us past Arsenal, and as a number two.)

That being said, it would not guarantee fewer conceeded goals. Maybe another manager would balance the risk differently giving us more goals (both ways). But finding the optimizing "risk-balance" must be an essential part of the job, right?

I do not believe van Gaal did a great job maximizing our potential, and I would consequently expect his replacement to do better with the same squad. But Mourinho does not have the same squad. He has Bailly and Shaw too. Furthermore he has Pogba, Micky and Zlatan, three players that should make it easier to take less risk. Or in other words; all else equal would van Gaals Man Utd create more chances and goals with Zlatan, Pogba and Micky in the team, without being more attacking? Would we be better in defence with Shaw and Bailly? Probably.

That is why I dont agree that the squad is the big issue. The ability to maximize its potential is. We underperformed with van Gaal in charge. And with the additions Mourinho did this summer, he will have to do a lot better than van Gaal did. Even with all the wimp defenders.

devilish

I agree. But Mourinho is not exactly a daredevil either. In my opinion taking the job from van Gaal should be a dream come true considering how far he came from realizing the players potential. On top of that he trained the player in a manner that provoked a lot of injuries.

If a good manager took over from van Gaal he should, in my opinion, be able to get ten to twenty percent more from the same squad by getting more from each player and training them "healtier". (Ten percent in PL-points would have taken us past Arsenal, and as a number two.)

That being said, it would not guarantee fewer conceeded goals. Maybe another manager would balance the risk differently giving us more goals (both ways). But finding the optimizing "risk-balance" must be an essential part of the job, right?

I do not believe van Gaal did a great job maximizing our potential, and I would consequently expect his replacement to do better with the same squad. But Mourinho does not have the same squad. He has Bailly and Shaw too. Furthermore he has Pogba, Micky and Zlatan, three players that should make it easier to take less risk. Or in other words; all else equal would van Gaals Man Utd create more chances and goals with Zlatan, Pogba and Micky in the team, without being more attacking? Would we be better in defence with Shaw and Bailly? Probably.

That is why I dont agree that the squad is the big issue. The ability to maximize its potential is. We underperformed with van Gaal in charge. And with the additions Mourinho did this summer, he will have to do a lot better than van Gaal did. Even with all the wimp defenders.
Year after year our defenders keep vanishing in the treatment room as we resort to wingers and midfielders to do their job. Most of them are ridiculously overrated (smalling, shaw, jones etc) who are prone to the occasional brainfart. Thats not good enough

Mou is defensive minded but lvg makes helenio herrera look like keegan on steriods we can ply with 10 behind the ball to make smalling look good

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Year after year our defenders keep vanishing in the treatment room as we resort to wingers and midfielders to do their job.
Maybe your right. Jones and Rojo have been very injury prone.

Regarding Smalling he played 35 of 38 games in the PL last year, and regarding Blind I can barely remember him being injured. Valencia and Darmian does not strike me as injury prone either.

Luke Shaw was obviously unlucly last year. I'm not sure we should conclude on him yet.

To conclude, we should probably aim to sell Rojo and Jones in one of the next two windows. It should be adequate buying one and bringing up Tuanzebe.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
From what I remember the player himself said he chose Bayern because he didn't want to work with lvg
That never happened. At least on portuguese media. Perhaps one of the english tabloids invented that interview. Wouldn't be the first time.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

devilish

Maybe your right. Jones and Rojo have been very injury prone.

Regarding Smalling he played 35 of 38 games in the PL last year, and regarding Blind I can barely remember him being injured. Valencia and Darmian does not strike me as injury prone either.

Luke Shaw was obviously unlucly last year. I'm not sure we should conclude on him yet.

To conclude, we should probably aim to sell Rojo and Jones in one of the next two windows. It should be adequate buying one and bringing up Tuanzebe.
I may say that the best sides in the world had a world class defence, which is true in most cases but not in all cases. Brazil was able to win a couple of WCs despite not having a top defence and so did Barca (their defence was solid but hardly world class). We did win a couple of trophies with Dolly and Daisy who were solid defenders but who were hardly spectacular ones. The trick was to shift the focus in other areas, specifically a world class midfield.

Something that is more common in top sides is that they had a regular back four. Take United as an example. We had Parker-Bruce-Pally-Irwin during the double run, then we had Gaz-Johnsen-Stam-Irwin during the treble and the spectacular Gaz-Rio-Vidic-Evra during our CL run. Apart from the third defense I cant see alot of world class defenders in it. Sure Irwin in his prime was great (1st defense) and Stam was world class in the second defense. However the likes of Parker, Bruce, Pally, Johnsen and Gaz were extremely committed but hardly world class. So how did they cope? That can be attributed to three things

a- they was always a leader at the back (Bruce, Stam, Rio, Vidic, Gaz)
b- they had been playing together for so much time that they knew each other weaknesses and strengths.
c- the defence was built around the EPL needs. For example all our CBs were tall, strong and dominant in the air.

Whenever we tried to divert from that formula (ex playing Gaz, Mickey or Keane as CB), the experiment failed miserably.

The current defence lack those attributes. Its completely void from any leadership, we've got so many injury prone/wimps and apart from Smalling and Bailly most of our defenders struggle in the air. Id say its time for a clear out. Valencia won't last forever so a RB whose actually a RB is needed (Darmian is a wing back) and we need 2 CBs which would allow us to have a solid defence which would release us from ever playing Blind, Rojo, Carrick or any non CB as CB again.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Is it O Jogo that's the unreliable one or A Bola?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's on Sky Sports now aswell. Must be something in it then.
I doubt it. Some other journalist in the Gimenez thread was saying we're confident we can get him in January too. I think they're just trying to shit stick to a wall early on.

Zoo

An update comes from Sweden with Fotbollskanalen saying that, according to their own information, Manchester United are in talks to sign Lindelof, and they lead the race to complete a deal.

Thisistheone

Looks very promising from the games I've seen. Jose knows his CB's as well so if he thinks this is our man I'm happy with that.

iHicksy

Didn't Zlatan say last week in an interview that Lindelof was good enough to play for United whilst speaking about the swede? His comments alone would be enough for the papers to start saying we're going to sign him.

Strats

He has had a big part in making the Swedish back four looking stable again, he will become a top player. I believe Lindelöf and Bailly could be excellent together in the long term.

ashgabat

Come look at our Swedish girls instead!
Supports
Malmö FF
He's being touted as the next big thing in Sweden along with Emil Forsberg in RB Leipzig. As someone said, he's responsible for the recent stability in the defence of the NT. Fun player to watch, too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No doubt Zlatan would have put in a good word to Jose, he certainly seems rough and ready enough for the premier league, while also being good at football too which helps. He's played RB before so he's fairly athletic.

Certainly would be on my list of CB's.

José Mateus

Supports
Benfica
I really like him. I remember him arriving touted as an RB, if I recall he was 17 at the time. He had an hard time in the first season. Technically, was far behind his teammates at Benfica B, but always gave all he had. Great mentality really

He spent 3 seasons at Benfica B and oscillated between defensive midfielder, CB and RB. To this day, I think he developed so much partly by being "forced" as a midfielder. He is now our best CB in the construction phase

I believe Benfica won't let him leave before the season ends. Then, it's pretty clear it will happen... And it will cost the buying club. I think he is Premier-ready and would be a good signing for most european top clubs

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
22 years of age, unproven in a top league and so-called potential results in €60? I was all in for spending whatever necessary to bring the Pog' home, but i'm not sure this guy is exactly what this club need right now.

Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Blind mean that there're already backup players at this club.

Bailly should and will be a starter, but he's a kid and new to the league. We better look for a partner who's got more experience and can lead the line. €60 is a whole lot of dough for a guy who can easily flop or at least need months to get accustomed to the new surroundings. So why not make it €80 and try to bring in someone like Boateng, simply a world class player. I would pass on Griezi because defence leadership is currently much more important and trying to fit square pegs in round holes ain't working. At least not here, not right now!

Devil may care

22 years of age, unproven in a top league and so-called potential results in €60? I was all in for spending whatever necessary to bring the Pog' home, but i'm not sure this guy is exactly what this club need right now.

Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Blind mean that there're already backup players at this club.

Bailly should and will be a starter, but he's a kid and new to the league. We better look for a partner who's got more experience and can lead the line. €60 is a whole lot of dough for a guy who can easily flop or at least need months to get accustomed to the new surroundings. So why not make it €80 and try to bring in someone like Boateng, simply a world class player. I would pass on Griezi because defence leadership is currently much more important and trying to fit square pegs in round holes ain't working. At least not here, not right now!
I get your point but Bayern aren't going to sell one of their main players to us and I doubt he'd want to leave, same with Bonucci. I'd love an experienced head next to Bailly but I just don't see it on the cards, it's gonna be someone like this guy, Gimenez or van Dijk IMO and after the bar Stones sale set there's unlikely to be any bargains.

I have different reasons for not really wanting us to buy Griezmann but this isn't one of them, there's no reason the club can't buy the required additions to defense, midfield and attack over the next 2 windows, there's no either/or scenario.

AN17

It say Benfica wants to raise the clause to 60 mil, not that he would cost that much.

devilish

Bailly should and will be a starter, but he's a kid and new to the league. We better look for a partner who's got more experience and can lead the line. €60 is a whole lot of dough for a guy who can easily flop or at least need months to get accustomed to the new surroundings. So why not make it80 and try to bring in someone like Boateng, simply a world class player. I would pass on Griezi because defence leadership is currently much more important and trying to fit square pegs in round holes ain't working. At least not here, not right now!
Would you sign him up for lets say €30m? Because thats his release clause

José Mateus

Supports
Benfica
Considering Benfica's past negotiations... I'd say he would leave for about € 30-35M

It's insane to consider € 50-60M amounts and I would be very very much surprised if that was the case

United Pro

Considering Benfica's past negotiations... I'd say he would leave for about € 30-35M
Isn't his release clause €30m? So unless he signs a new contract how will he cost more than that? Unless they can force clubs to pay tax when activating a release clause, like in Spain.

José Mateus

Supports
Benfica
Isn't his release clause €30m? So unless he signs a new contract how will he cost more than that? Unless they can force clubs to pay tax when activating a release clause, like in Spain.
That's tricky... Release clauses can only be activated when clubs pay up-front the total value. That's rarely the case, as they tend to prefer to pay in separate timings

His release clause is €30M indeed. Talks about a new contract are constant, but I guess that Benfica wanting to increase his release clause is sort of an issue with the player's agent interests. In similar cases, most certainly the player would have signed a new agreement by now. In fact, the last contract signing dates previously to his affirmation in the team

Status
Not open for further replies.