Victor Mugabe Wanyama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

Wanyama is as good a passer of the ball as Daley Blind. If we had someone like him playing, Oxlade-Chamberlain wouldn't of skipped past him like he did others for the goal.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Well we do need someone to do the dirty work in our team... Hope we get someone of his style.

But I can see the consensus will only settle for a Bryan Robson/Keane who can tackle, defend and also have great passing and technical ability, so the search continues.

NoPace

I can't support us signing any more players who aren't technically really, really strong, even though Wanyama is a strong tackler and works hard. He makes a lot more sense for Liverpool as Henderson's more defensive partner (especially if Can plays RCB) or Arsenal as their 6 instead of Coquelin in tougher games, or many other teams.

Bwuk

Come on...
I'm serious. Blind never plays the hard pass, he keeps things simple. Blind is so wildly over rated on this forum.

If you haven't seen much of him, Go watch videos on YouTube of Wanyama vs Barcelona etc, his passing is fine.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm serious. Blind never plays the hard pass, he keeps things simple. Blind is so wildly over rated on this forum.

If you haven't seen much of him, Go watch videos on YouTube of Wanyama vs Barcelona etc, his passing is fine.
That's his job, to win the ball and retain it. He's been excellent.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He just doesn't clatter people enough or look muscular. The only way we'll buy Wanyama if it's for the box-to-box #8 position, and he isn't anywhere near well rounded enough nor mobile for that.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
In doing that, yes he has been great. However, there are so many times he could spread the ball far quicker with a 'long' pass out wide but he chooses to play the short, easy option (which is fine) but it gives the back four the chance to shuffle across and keep everything in front of them. Whereas Carrick will give us width far quicker and find our wingers in space at the moment our wingers are in space but by the time the ball gets out to them, they are closed down and the only option is well, you guessed it, backwards.

Blind has the ability to play that long ball but just chooses not to. Again, that's fine but it's why I would prefer Carrick back, I feel it would speed our play up, even if it's a touch riskier, it'a risk I would take given our current situation.

Bwuk

Blind is far too easy to get past, and offers no physical prescence. Look at his attempt at tackling the Ox for Arsenals first goal.

Ekeke

He's shown he's capable with his performances for the Netherlands, and even the passes he tries at United when clearly trying to be safe are more difficult than those Wanyama tries

Bwuk

He's shown he's capable with his performances for the Netherlands, and even the passes he tries at United when clearly trying to be safe are more difficult than those Wanyama tries
He plays left back the majority of the time for Netherlands, and since Van Gaal left they've been rubbish.

Wanyama vs Barcelona. Blind is not capable of a performance like that.

Ekeke

He plays left back the majority of the time for Netherlands, and since Van Gaal left they've been rubbish.

Wanyama vs Barcelona. Blind is not capable of a performance like that.
Because it was all defence, we play with most of the ball and you have to play a lot more passes. Blind does that so much better its not even a fair comparison

Bwuk

Because it was all defence, we play with most of the ball and you have to play a lot more passes. Blind does that so much better its not even a fair comparison
And as a #6 Blind's role in the team is to win the ball, and keep it moving. Carrick isn't physically gifted but does a far better job of this than Blind.

Ask any southampton fan and they'd rather have Wanyama than Blind. I don't think Blind would get in many of the top sides in Englands midfield.

Ekeke

And as a #6 Blind's role in the team is to win the ball, and keep it moving. Carrick isn't physically gifted but does a far better job of this than Blind.

Ask any southampton fan and they'd rather have Wanyama than Blind. I don't think Blind would get in many of the top sides in Englands midfield.
Carrick hasnt done a better job this season

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I can't support us signing any more players who aren't technically really, really strong, even though Wanyama is a strong tackler and works hard. He makes a lot more sense for Liverpool as Henderson's more defensive partner (especially if Can plays RCB) or Arsenal as their 6 instead of Coquelin in tougher games, or many other teams.
So why wouldn't you want him to be a defensive partner to one of your own players? Both Liverpool and especially Arsenal play a better brand of football than United do so I don't get why it makes sense for them to bring in a midfielder who (apparently) is technically weak yet the team who continually gets overrun in midfield and currently has players like Mata, Di Maria and Herrera would want to bring in a more technical player.

NoPace

So why wouldn't you want him to be a defensive partner to one of your own players? Both Liverpool and especially Arsenal play a better brand of football than United do so I don't get why it makes sense for them to bring in a midfielder who (apparently) is technically weak yet the team who continually gets overrun in midfield and currently has players like Mata, Di Maria and Herrera would want to bring in a more technical player.
I think Liverpool especially could survive the occasional Wanyama giveaway with 3 at the back behind him and would benefit strongly from having him in certain games.

For us, we'd just further slow down our ability to build up attacks. Right now, we have good passing in Blind or Carrick there and we still struggle to play with any tempo.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
For us, we'd just further slow down our ability to build up attacks. Right now, we have good passing in Blind or Carrick there and we still struggle to play with any tempo.
I'd imagine that's tactical and comes from van Gaal more than anything else. Has Carrick ever been a player you could associate with a quick, attacking game anyway?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This guy doesn't have the range of passing required to play for United.

NoPace

I'd imagine that's tactical and comes from van Gaal more than anything else. Has Carrick ever been a player you could associate with a quick, attacking game anyway?
We played at a pretty good tempo on the counter with Carrick and Scholes sitting deep.

Also, we need to be planning for post-Carrick. He's 34.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It was a Phil Jones rabid man mark-esque performance, to be fair.
Anyway, as I said, this will never happen as van Gaal doesn't want a #6, he wants an #8.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
His A game still wouldnt come close to Wanyama vs Barca in those legs with Xavi commenting on a big future after those games.
It's easier to look good when you spend 90 minutes doing nothing but defend all game long. An excellent way to hide your other deficiencies. It was an alright performance. Park's done better and no one's calling him a midfielder.

Blind's passing range is far and above anything Mugabe is capable of.

Drifter

American
Southampton midfielder Victor Wanyama has told The Sun he is on Arsenal's shoppping list this summer.

The former Celtic star, Who is valued at £20m, was a reported target for the Gunners two years ago when he left the Scottish club for Southampton but he insists a move to north London could happen this summer.

"Wenger has been talking about me, He has let it be known he would like to sign me this summer.

"Arsenal are a great club and I’d love to play Champions League football as I loved being on that stage with Celtic.

"But we’ve had a fantastic season at Saints and I want to stay focused on helping the club qualify for Europe. Then we’ll see where I end up in the summer."

Bwuk

Wanyama would be a fantastic signing for Arsenal.

Bwuk

Are Wenger's comments about Wanyama public?
No. Looking back at some of the posts on this makes me laugh. People seriously don't think Carrick is one of the main reasons behind our good form.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Wanyama not good enough for us imo, Schneiderlin would be perfect.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
No. Looking back at some of the posts on this makes me laugh. People seriously don't think Carrick is one of the main reasons behind our good form.
Yeah, I think someone mentioned that they hoped Carrick would be unavailable for Everton, because they wanted Blind to start.

It wasn't said with any malice, and i sorta understand it - everyone likes Blind and he's part of the future. But Carrick's been immense again this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.