Victor Osimhen - £74m Napoli Signing

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Do we know how bad that situation will be? How much can we spend without selling? We need to be able to spend 200m on CM and Striker ideally
No, we don’t.
This simply isn't true.

SUCK IT

Ornstein credits Telegraph for originally breaking the news but he wouldn't share it if he didn't believe its very credible.

"even if a takeover happens before the summer man utd will need 1) CL football 2) need significant sales regardless.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

SUCK IT

Ornstein credits Telegraph for originally breaking the news but he wouldn't share it if he didn't believe its very credible.

"even if a takeover happens before the summer man utd will need 1) CL football 2) need significant sales regardless.
and my hope of owners pumping in dodgy sponsors has been blown up today

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
and my hope of owners pumping in dodgy sponsors has been blown up today
Aha. My jibe wasn't to you. I got excited I could find a tweet since I barely use twitter.

Yeah I think that's why there are credible reports of McT and Maguire being two obvious ones up for sale. Who knows, we may also cash in on AWB and bring Dest in low cost/free.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I've watched a lot of Napoli games this season. The pressure Osimhen puts on his opponents is unbelievable. Often there is this notion of a striker getting bullied by CB's but with Osimhen it's the other way around. He is doing the bullying. :lol:

Nice to see him having good goal numbers this season too.

croadyman

I've watched a lot of Napoli games this season. The pressure Osimhen puts on his opponents is unbelievable. Often there is this notion of a striker getting bullied by CB's but with Osimhen it's the other way around. He is doing the bullying. :lol:

Nice to see him having good goal numbers this season too.
Strengthens my view we should go for him

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's a no brainer he should be targeted above all else
Is he good at contributing to possession football? It’s a that how Napoli play? That has a strong bearing on how much of a ‘no brainer’ he is.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Is he good at contributing to possession football? It’s a that how Napoli play? That has a strong bearing on how much of a ‘no brainer’ he is.
Well Napoli average 61.3% possession per game within Serie A. For context if a PL team averaged that they'd be second only to City. In contrast we've averaged 52.6% so far this season. So they certainly have a possession-friendly style of play and Osimhen fits within that.

In terms of contributing to it though, Osimhen doesn't particularly get involved in general play, being second bottom in Napoli's squad for passes attempted per 90 with around 12. Essentially his function in those possession phases is largely to occupy the opposition defensive line and force them deeper by being a central off the ball threat via pace, physicality and movement. With that obviously affording his teammates more space.

Haaland at City is probably the closest comparison in that sense, with him being similarly uninvolved on the ball for a possession-heavy side, bottom for passes per 90 in their squad with around 15. With Osimhen not offering quite the sheer goal threat Haaland does, but offering more in terms of pressing ability and workrate.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well Napoli average 61.3% possession per game within Serie A. For context if a PL team averaged that they'd be second only to City. In contrast we've averaged 52.6% so far this season. So they certainly have a possession-friendly style of play and Osimhen fits within that.

In terms of contributing to it though, Osimhen doesn't particularly get involved in general play, being second bottom in Napoli's squad for passes attempted per 90 with around 12. Essentially his function in those possession phases is largely to occupy the opposition defensive line and force them deeper by being a central off the ball threat via pace, physicality and movement. With that obviously affording his teammates more space.

Haaland at City is probably the closest comparison in that sense, with him being similarly uninvolved on the ball for a possession-heavy side, bottom for passes per 90 in their squad with around 15. With Osimhen not offering quite the sheer goal threat Haaland does, but offering more in terms of pressing ability and workrate.
I think that’ll be a problem for us unless we overhaul the rest of the team being able to control the game much better. Can’t have Bruno, Rashford and Osimhen all not contributed much / contributing sloppily to the buildup. City can afford Haaland (maybe not given they’re second in the league) because the whole team is full of playmakers.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He wouldn't be my first choice Napoli player.

Assuming we keep note of Napoli games, and that the de Jong stuff is dead in the water, I really hope we look at Lobotka. I've been a fan for many years and it's great seeing him flourish in a top side. I don't think I'd go as far as to say he's de Jong level, but he's still very good and plays near enough the exact same style.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So is no one buying him then? I'm a bit surprised how quiet it's been around Osimhen.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
So is no one buying him then? I'm a bit surprised how quiet it's been around Osimhen.
Napoli’s president would demand close to €200m id say, even more confidently now after the fees that have been paid this off season. Rumors are he’s close to signing an extension as well - probably with a hefty release clause in. But yeah, doesn’t look like he’s leaving as I assume everyone got scared off by the price - even PSG.

zaafi

He is just way too expensive, and most clubs don't need a striker. You would think Chelsea would be after him with the way they've spent the last two seasons and the fact they need a striker.

Telsim

Nothing surprising about it. Napoli would demand upwards of €130M. Probably a lot more. He is going nowhere at this stage.

BerryBerryShrew

You saw how much heartache Bayern went through to sign 30 year old in the last year of his contract from a team that has nothing to play for? Imagine trying to sign a far younger striker of almost comparable quality with a long contact from a side that has a major title to defend and has a chairman who is even more obstinate than Levy. Shudders.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nothing surprising about it. Napoli would demand upwards of €130M. Probably a lot more. He is going nowhere at this stage.
Given the Caicedo and Rice fees, Osimhen probably should cost a lot more than €130m.

croadyman

You saw how much heartache Bayern went through to sign 30 year old in the last year of his contract from a team that has nothing to play for? Imagine trying to sign a far younger striker of almost comparable quality with a long contact from a side that has a major title to defend and has a chairman who is even more obstinate than Levy. Shudders.
Yeah that's exactly why it's quiet

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If he doesn't sign a new contract (big if) then he'll have one year left next summer. At that point someone will probably sign him for what will be a still-enormous fee.

VivaRonaldo85

Chelsea will sign him next summer for £150 million plus. They are in fantasy mode. Watch this space.

jadaba

Wasn't the Napoli president saying he wouldn't even sell him for 200m euros the other day? 150m could really be a steal for him.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Wasn't the Napoli president saying he wouldn't even sell him for 200m euros the other day? 150m could really be a steal for him.
He was entering the last year of his old deal. He wouldn't have had a choice next year.

jadaba

He was entering the last year of his old deal. He wouldn't have had a choice next year.
Ah that makes sense, thank you for clarifying.

Just hope he doesn’t inevitably go to City as Haaland’s replacement when the latter gets bored of 5 goals a match.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Because history has shown you need a sharp, world class striker in Italy. It’s not like the Tammy Abraham’s and Romelu Lukaku’s of the world can waltz in there and….. wait ….

autte

Supports
Poggibonsi
Because history has shown you need a sharp, world class striker in Italy. It’s not like the Tammy Abraham’s and Romelu Lukaku’s of the world can waltz in there and….. wait ….
Abraham had one good season (17 goals, 3 penalties) and a disastrous second season. Lukaku did well under Conte (2019/20 - 23 goals, 6 penalties; 2020/21 - 24 goals, 6 penalties) because that team played for him and created a feckton of chances. Both scored around the same number of goals in their peak season in the EPL.

ManRed

zaafi

That wont be a difficult for some clubs. Chelsea and Liverpool were ready to spend €110m on a CDM. I can see us going for a striker again next summer and Osimhem will be top of the list.
We're not spending €150m on Osimhen after buying Højlund.

ManRed

We're not spending €150m on Osimhen after buying Højlund.
We need a top striker. FFP and building a squad was our priority this summer. If we are one top 30 goals a season striker from challenging then Ten Hag will go for Osimhen or another established player. Hojlund might take a few seasons to get there.

zaafi

We need a top striker. FFP and building a squad was our priority this summer. If we are one top 30 goals a season striker from challenging then Ten Hag will go for Osimhen or another established player. Hojlund might take a few seasons to get there.
Osimhen isn't a top striker in the same tier as Kane, though. He is a safer bet than Højlund currently, but he is also a risk and there is no certainty he would be great in the PL.

Osimhen is great physically, works hard and world class aerially, but he is lacking in many aspects of the game, which even Luciano Spalletti has pointed out.

Ten Hag is going to put his faith in Højlund, and I seriously doubt he would play the first season, only to be benched the next.

Osimhen next season is about as unrealistic as it gets, especially after buying one of the highest rated young strikers for around £70m. We would be in for Osimhen this summer if we were that desperate for him.

Also, I see this that argument often; that we need a 30 goals a season striker. We really don't. Look at Arsenal, for instance, or Liverpool the last couple of years. What we need is for all of our players to contribute with more goals. Our wingers, midfielders, even defenders. It would definitely help with a striker scoring a lot of goals though, so let's hope Højlund hits the ground running instantly.

SAF is the GOAT

We need a top striker. FFP and building a squad was our priority this summer.
If we are one top 30 goals a season striker from challenging then Ten Hag will go for Osimhen or another established player.
Hojlund might take a few seasons to get there.
What established striker there's exactly in the market ? there are maybe 3 names you can name - Kane, Lewa, Benzema
The other aren't established enough and they're tier below

JuriM

New Napoli coach Rudi Garcia doing weird things that can't be good for the dressing room - subbing off both Victor & Kvicha when they are chasing a goal and both seemingly annoyed by the manager already - not good.

zaafi

New Napoli coach Rudi Garcia doing weird things that can't be good for the dressing room - subbing off both Victor & Kvicha when they are chasing a goal and both seemingly annoyed by the manager already - not good.
Not weird at all. Both of them had really bad games, and being subbed in the final minutes to try to make an impact is completely normal and something most teams do.

Annoyed by the manager when they're having bad games just gives them a bad look, not the manager.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Garcia was a bizarre choice for a Spalletti replacement. He's shite. No wonder they're nowhere near last season's form and won't go near the title this year.