Victor Osimhen

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This is it. I don’t mind a striker dropping to link, but once he’s laid it off, I want him attacking the space aggressively. A striker creates chances for himself by demanding the ball, and there are so many scenarios where there are angles and passes on that we do not make because we lack that instinct, or because we have Wout Weghorst up front.

At the moment, Martial seems to be averaging about 1 shot every other game. Everything he does is at a high level generally, but he seems to enter the box as a last resort. He wants the ball 40 yards out more often than not. He simply isn’t getting himself into positions to score goals often enough. I think it’s a confidence issue, because I’ve seen spells from Martial where he has a goalscoring desire. Usually when he’s gotten a few goals on a run, he is starving for them. The Martial from 2020 was like that, he looked clearly interested in his personal stats and even the Martial from the beginning of the season. When he came on against City, he was aggressive. Against Everton he was having shots blocked and unlucky not to score before he went off. He came on away at Omonoia and was immediately getting shots off. This time around he seems to want to link play exclusively.

I miss Cavani. A prime Cavani would be perfect now.
Couldn't agree more.

When we had him at the club, he was universally loved by fans, effective, but was just a crock and past him prime. I find it mad why would we not want to replicate the small success we had with him, with his attributes, just younger.

croadyman

There was a break one time in the game last night, where Anthony had the ball and we were charging to wards the goal. He decided to slip the ball through into the box with the outside of his boot and Martial decided to pull back to the edge of the box. There in lies a big problem with our forwards - Rashford is starting to do it more, but still it not natural. Someone like Osimhen would be demanding that ball and fashion a chance on goal from that. Osimhen would be the most elite version of that we could get, but I think it would improve us massively by getting someone of that profile, even if it's not Osimhen.
Maybe Erik is talking up Kane as top target over him because he lacks faith new owners will be in place by sometime during the summer window

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Maybe Erik is talking up Kane as top target over him because he lacks faith new owners will be in place by sometime during the summer window
Is Erik talking up Kane? Don't think he is. It's all paper speculation at the moment.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would have scored a bucket load against Villa today. Rashford is just not it through the middle.

davidmichael

Would have scored a bucket load against Villa today. Rashford is just not it through the middle.
I think any decent striker that is a natural centre forward would do today as their natural instinct would be to be in the box and around the six yard box, so many times today we’ve had the ball in that area but no one has been there.

edcunited1878

He's been a but quiet lately
Yes he has because he is entirely dependent in service. United aren't really built to provide full service to a traditional CF, which makes it rather predictable.

I think he's a great goal scorer, but his game lacks a lot. People say they want United to have a better all round goalkeeper, which I agree...so then where is the better all round CF?

NoPace

I'm not sure Emery would have played that high a line against him and with Rashford at LW, though obviously forcing a good tactician into plan B is also a positive thing.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm not sure Emery would have played that high a line against him and with Rashford at LW, though obviously forcing a good tactician into plan B is also a positive thing.
True, good point.
I think any decent striker that is a natural centre forward would do today as their natural instinct would be to be in the box and around the six yard box, so many times today we’ve had the ball in that area but no one has been there.
Agreed, but I thought Rashford made some great runs, just his first touch let him down. So someone who's game is that is, with his sort of pace/intelligence, would be my ideal.
Marcus cannot lead a line, it is much more than scoring.

Osimhen was rather invisible today and got destroyed 1 v 1 for the opposition goal today.
They all were, just nerves though, they could have won the league today. I was more using Osimhen's strengths as a point for what we're missing.

croadyman

Marcus cannot lead a line, it is much more than scoring.

Osimhen was rather invisible today and got destroyed 1 v 1 for the opposition goal today.
Who should we sign as CF then because think only Kane/Osimhen are in that top tier

Last edited:

edcunited1878

Who should we sign as CF then because think only Kane/Osimhen are in that top tier
I don't think United have to go for broke on either of these players, especially considering the transfer budget and need for other quality players in the starting XI and squad.

I don't claim to know who these alternatives are. Just from my observations of Napoli and Osimhen this season, a more well rounded player like Kane, Rooney, Alvarez, Watkins, would suit the squad....unless EtH switches the team's overall attacking approach next season to accommodate one primary CF...which I have a hard time seeing based on Marcus and type of players on the wide areas United have.

croadyman

I don't think United have to go for broke on either of these players, especially considering the transfer budget and need for other quality players in the starting XI and squad.

I don't claim to know who these alternatives are. Just from my observations of Napoli and Osimhen this season, a more well rounded player like Kane, Rooney, Alvarez, Watkins, would suit the squad....unless EtH switches the team's overall attacking approach next season to accommodate one primary CF...which I have a hard time seeing based on Marcus and type of players on the wide areas United have.
The more I read this forum it sounds like Osimhen/Kolo-Muani don't fit Erik's system whereas Kane/Abraham/Toney do

edcunited1878

The more I read this forum it sounds like Osimhen/Kolo-Muani don't fit Erik's system whereas Kane/Abraham/Toney do
I think Muani is a better fit than Osimhen, but also an Ollie Watkins type player can be considered.

If Osimhen comes into the team, there will be a lot more learning and deviation from this season to accommodate Osimhen, which includes Marcus being more aware of a center forward who needs consistent service to score.

The team is still incomplete and nobody is entirely sure what the vision is from EtH, but recruiting a RB like Fringpong, making noise about FdJ, noise about a better overall GK, then a CF.

bosskeano

given our needs in CM, RB and a bit more depth to the squad....going over 100/110m would be kind of foolish

ti vu

Doubt RM interest is true. They never "truly" have a forward in his profile as in all his profile since I start watching football. Adebayor loan was Mourinho request and it didn't last more than the loan emergency period.

wangyu

edit. I made an entire post about Kane, I had no idea I was in the Osimhen thread

Stadjer

Its Napoli so i doubt they will budge on their asking price. Have they ever sold one of their star players when they didnt want to sell? Higuan was only able to leave because of the clause in his contract.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
How can they claim such a thing when they don't even know who's going to be writing the checks? :lol:
Because United will have a transfer plan and budget irrespective of the ownership issue, still I doubt we will pay that much for Osimhen, don't see this one happening

Baxquux

This should be obvious to anyone with even a cursory familiarity of Bayern's way of operating - good as he is, there's no way they're paying €130m or however much Os goes for: I'd be surprised if they spent that much for prime-era Messi...

Zoo

This should be obvious to anyone with even a cursory familiarity of Bayern's way of operating - good as he is, there's no way they're paying €130m or however much Os goes for: I'd be surprised if they spent that much for prime-era Messi...
They’ll probably go for Kolo Muani and get him on the cheap.

croadyman

Its Napoli so i doubt they will budge on their asking price. Have they ever sold one of their star players when they didnt want to sell? Higuan was only able to leave because of the clause in his contract.
Yeah until that price comes down then don't expect any concrete interest from Utd/Bayern

Anustart89

Because United will have a transfer plan and budget irrespective of the ownership issue, still I doubt we will pay that much for Osimhen, don't see this one happening
But if the new owner comes in swinging his dick wanting a statement signing and decides that statement signing is Osimhen, can Get Italian Football be certain that €110m is going to be the limit?

Cassidy

But if the new owner comes in swinging his dick wanting a statement signing and decides that statement signing is Osimhen, can Get Italian Football be certain that €110m is going to be the limit?
I think you missed the point. The source doesn’t change with club ownership, the sources here are usually player agents and the club would have been speaking with agents etc irrespective of the sale of the club.

Anustart89

I think you missed the point. The source doesn’t change with club ownership, the sources here are usually player agents and the club would have been speaking with agents etc irrespective of the sale of the club.
Ah, fair enough, but I still think that the sources' info can't be trusted since it's not Arnold and Murtough (or some other big players likely to remain initially despite ownership change) deciding on the upper limit. Surely it's the owner that decides the upper limit for the transfer fee?

Cassidy

Ah, fair enough, but I still think that the sources' info can't be trusted since it's not Arnold and Murtough (or some other big players likely to remain initially despite ownership change) deciding on the upper limit. Surely it's the owner that decides the upper limit for the transfer fee?
The source shouldn’t be trusted agree.
Owner deciding on the limit for an individual player, well no they hire DOF for that.

Jericholyte2

Would they take some players as part of a deal?

Martial, Fred, Dalot could all do well in Serie A.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
They’ll probably go for Kolo Muani and get him on the cheap.
Reports say Frankfurt is asking between 80 and 100 millions for Kolo Muani aswell.
The striker market is really something special...

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Would they take some players as part of a deal?

Martial, Fred, Dalot could all do well in Serie A.
Nah. Napoli are pretty savvy in the transfer market. Only one of those 3 they’d probably be interested in is Dalot for left back but they already have two decent players there