Victor Osimhen

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah definitely a cult figure with fans
Yep and he revels in it, which further enhances his popularity. Needs to be careful to avoid getting slapped with like 20 different paternity suits down the line, like Diego :lol:

Btw he also matched Weah for highest scoring african player in serie A

zaafi

We'll likely end up with a lesser option like Hojlund, there's no middle ground option this summer unfortunately
That would be very underwhelming. He's not a regular for Atalanta yet, so he's definitely not ready for us. As a back-up, I'd be fine with it but absolutely not as a starter. I'm sure we could pay another £20m extra for a Premier League proven world class striker.

L1nk

That would be very underwhelming. He's not a regular for Atalanta yet, so he's definitely not ready for us. As a back-up, I'd be fine with it but absolutely not as a starter. I'm sure we could pay another £20m extra for a Premier League proven world class striker.
I would be all for Hojlund personally, it will probably end with Martial being a backup as we won't be able to get rid of him. Who is a proven world class striker in the Premier League that will cost a little more than Hojlund though? The only players I think that are good that we could actually buy is Goncalo Ramos or Vlahovic, but all the noise has been about Kane and Osimhen for so long i've no idea if they are even being considered as options anymore

zaafi

I would be all for Hojlund personally, it will probably end with Martial being a backup as we won't be able to get rid of him. Who is a proven world class striker in the Premier League that will cost a little more than Hojlund though? The only players I think that are good that we could actually buy is Goncalo Ramos or Vlahovic, but all the noise has been about Kane and Osimhen for so long i've no idea if they are even being considered as options anymore
Kane is the obvious one. I can imagine Atalanta will demand around £60m for Højlund and we should be able to get Kane for £80m, especially now that Levy is under pressure by Spurs fans. I don't think they want Kane gone, but they'd rather take the money now and replace him than letting him go for free next summer. It's not exactly a financial investment, but if we want to have a bigger chance at winning the title then Kane is the one to go for.

Personally, I don't even rate Vlahovic. His goal scoring is just so incredibly underwhelming and it doesn't help that it's in Serie A.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I’d be much happier with this guy than Kane. Longer term and a player that is capable of reaching the sort of levels Haaland is at in the right team

Pickle85

I’d be much happier with this guy than Kane. Longer term and a player that is capable of reaching the sort of levels Haaland is at in the right team
Not sure about this. He's not shown anything like enough to suggest he has that in his locker imo.

zaafi

But he’s not in as good an attack as Haaland, not getting as many big chances
Napoli create a lot of chances, but he's just not as good as Haaland. He literally has more goals than games, and has been doing that for every team he's played for. Osimhen will never do that.

croadyman

Well Toney would definitely still be on the radar IF he didn’t have that ban hanging over him

In Rainbows

Jeez is Kane really that awful for some?
I don't understand how anyone could be so underwhelmed by Kane. FFS I would take either of the two happily. Any one of them would be a huge upgrade on what we have. Like I get having a preference, but being upset at getting one or the other is bonkers to me.

AaronRedDevil

Jeez is Kane really that awful for some?
Look he's a great player honestly. With him, we'll finally score goals our players can't. Like a fecking header. But he's getting a bit old and we don't know if he'll be the same player next season. Each year he'll probably lose a bit more pace and could be done in 2 or 3 years' time. Injury on top of that would kill us and him. Oshimen just kinda assures me more longevitywise. If he gets injured there's still plenty of time in him. He'll be faster and stronger for the PL. There's no knowing if he's going to be great or not though. But the quality is still their.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why do people think Toney would be cheap? He plays for a top side of the table PL team last I checked, those clubs don't sell their tea for cheap...

Though given people are talking about throwing 50/60 millions on Hojlund, i guess maybe i just have a different perspective on cheap...

Houdini

Look he's a great player honestly. With him, we'll finally score goals our players can't. Like a fecking header. But he's getting a bit old and we don't know if he'll be the same player next season. Each year he'll probably lose a bit more pace and could be done in 2 or 3 years' time. Injury on top of that would kill us and him. Oshimen just kinda assures me more longevitywise. If he gets injured there's still plenty of time in him. He'll be faster and stronger for the PL. There's no knowing if he's going to be great or not though. But the quality is still their.
Lukaku used to be a beast in Serie A too. Kane is PL proven. Both of them have their pros and cons, I would take the cheaper one to save as many as we can for the other areas we clearly need.

Lukaku used to be a beast in Serie A too. Kane is PL proven. Both of them have their pros and cons, I would take the cheaper one to save as many as we can for the other areas we clearly need.
How many monsters have come over and flopped from the Bundesliga, but it didn't stop Haaland. A great player is a great player. Lukaku was in Italy when the league was junk but it is finally improving with 3 Italian teams making the quarters of the CL this year. Osimehn is not Lukaku. Kane is PL proven but he has also proven his flaws by now and we know where he is deteriorating.

Kane would be a Woodward buy. Osimehn would be a Ferguson buy.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
When we bought Lukaku he was also deemed to be "PL proven". Us and Inter payed €88m and €80m for him respectively based entirely on his PL performances. Plus his basic goalscoring rate in Serie A was absolutely no different to what it was in the PL. People holding him up as an example of someone who did well in Italy but not England is weird.

Beyond that, Osimhen has been significantly better in Serie A than Lukaku was in terms of rate of returns. Here are their combined seasons in Serie A, sorted best to worst (excluding penalties):

Osimhen - 22/23 - 0.91 goals per 90
Osimhen - 21/22 - 0.64 goals per 90
Osimhen - 20/21 - 0.57 goals per 90
Lukaku - 20/21 - 0.56 goals per 90
Lukaku - 19/20 - 0.51 goals per 90
Lukaku - 22/23 - 0.22 goals per 90

And he's clearly a better player in general play too, not least because he can actually press.

I get the general point you're making but even referencing Lukaku in this context makes for a weak argument.

Last edited:

zaafi

How many monsters have come over and flopped from the Bundesliga, but it didn't stop Haaland. A great player is a great player. Lukaku was in Italy when the league was junk but it is finally improving with 3 Italian teams making the quarters of the CL this year. Osimehn is not Lukaku. Kane is PL proven but he has also proven his flaws by now and we know where he is deteriorating.

I keep hearing this, but fail to understand how it's relevant. First of all, Milan and Inter were a bit lucky to get through to the quarters and played against Tottenham and Porto respectively. Napoli met Frankfurt in the Round 16, but it has to be said they played fantastic in the group stage.
Secondly, even if the top 4 are decent to good teams doesn't mean the rest of the league are. Some of the teams in Serie A are pathetic and would struggle in Championship, and I think it's fair to be a bit cautious about signing strikers from Serie A, especially when that forward is playing for a team that dominates the other teams and they cost around €130-150m.

Houdini

Kane is not a Woodward buy. Woodward would wait till he is for free having a one decent season then slowly starting to warm the bench. I agree that Osimhen is betterthan Lukaku,the question is to what extent? It is a quetion of money for us at least this summer (unfortunately). I can't see Osimhen going for less than 120M knowing Napoli. If the price i the same,I would chose him over Kane.

zaafi

Napoli bought him from Lille just 2 years ago for 20m when our scouts were checking out Maguire 80m.
They bought him for 80m, and he's not the same player as he was two years ago. He's been allowed to develop his game peacefully, which the caf would never have let him. He'd be hated by now if we'd bought him two years ago.

glasgow 21

There is an upside to Kane coming to us. He will be no longer know as "Penaldo Kane" as we don't get given many.
The problem is Bayern , Chelsea and Real Madrid will be looking for Benzema replacement so the tier 1 choices will be feeding frenzy.

Last edited:

The Original

They bought him for 80m, and he's not the same player as he was two years ago. He's been allowed to develop his game peacefully, which the caf would never have let him. He'd be hated by now if we'd bought him two years ago.
That's extreme. He was already a very good player when Napoli got him. The one aspect of his game that has significantly changed is his becoming so dominant in the air.

Dempsey19

I done some digging about his transfer fee and found Corriere dello Sport looked into it. No idea if they're reliable but this is what they found.

€47.5m paid over 5 years
€2.5m in bonuses if Napoli win the Champions League.
€10m in performance-related bonuses, also extremely difficult to achieve, for instance winning the Ballon d’Or.
A massive €20m is calculated by sending goalkeeper Orestis Karnezis – third choice at Napoli – and three youth team players to Lille, valuing them all at €5m each.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah feels like this is off given they don't want to sell and don't have to sell. They can ask for the same price next summer so it's a why not sort of thing for them.

Kane this summer and sesko/hojlund/ferguson in a few years then I'd guess.