Victor Osimhen

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Salah scored plenty in Italy and came here just fine. Why is Lukaku the reference we use?

Smalling is playing for Roma right now who was a good PL CB for a long time, and he's scoring against him no problem.
Salah is one of the most technical players of his generation. Shite all to do with strength.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Salah is one of the most technical players of his generation. Shite all to do with strength.
I'm amused how people still think that Lukaku's problem is his technique. In reality, his main problem is his movement as he tends to be too static. Technique might be partially his issue but If he doesn't have technique but has world class off ball movement, he would have been great in top club here. Cavani's technique and hold up play in his first season were the same level as Osimhen, but Cavani did well with us in his first season. Imagine Cavani with more pace and less injury prone, Osimhen will be fine. Cavani is also a Serie A striker.

Both Lukaku and Osimhen are two different kind of strikers, Osimhen and Cavani are more similar than Osimhen with Lukaku. Lukaku doesn't like to move a lot, he prefers to stay closed with defenders by bullying them with his strength and power. Osimhen and Cavani like to move a lot and has good work rate, they prefer to create space, lose markers, and run behind defenders.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Anyone who follows my posts know that I follow and love the Serie A. I've seen some of the best players ever playing there and in my opinion the best team ever assembled played there as well. However we're not in the 80s and the 90s anymore. The Serie A is far weaker then the EPL and that on top of many 'intrinsic' flaws like its less physical and less intense. Its a league were the likes of Immobile, Abraham and Lookman can top the goalscoring charts. Take Scamacca as an example. He scored 16 goals last season. How is he doing with West Ham now?

I am not saying that we shouldn't take a punt if the opportunity arise but Osimhen is definitely not one of them. Napoli is a rich club and in terms of difficulty in dealing with the owner De Laurentiis makes Levy look like Woodward. On top of that they bought the guy for 70m euros which means that they would want at least double of that. Finally Napoli are playing the best football since a certain Diego Armando Maradona was playing for them. They are firing on all cylinders with Kvaratskhelia acting as a goal/assist machine as well. Can Osimhen replicate that in a more difficult and defensive league? I doubt it.

devilish

I'm amused how people still think that Lukaku's problem is his technique. In reality, his main problem is his movement as he tends to be too static. Technique might be partially his issue but If he doesn't have technique but has world class off ball movement, he would have been great in top club here. Cavani's technique and hold up play in his first season were the same level as Osimhen, but Cavani did well with us in his first season. Imagine Cavani with more pace and less injury prone, Osimhen will be fine. Cavani is also a Serie A striker.

Both Lukaku and Osimhen are two different kind of strikers, Osimhen and Cavani are more similar than Osimhen with Lukaku. Lukaku doesn't like to move a lot, he prefers to stay closed with defenders by bullying them with his strength and power. Osimhen and Cavani like to move a lot and has good work rate, they prefer to create space, lose markers, and run behind defenders.
Lukaku's biggest problem is his ball control. He needs two touches to fully control the ball. That's not an issue when he's playing at a small team who relies heavily on counter attack football. However it becomes a concern at a club like United when opponents defend in numbers and there's not much room/time to act.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Lukaku's biggest problem is his ball control. He needs two touches to fully control the ball. That's not an issue when he's playing at a small team who relies heavily on counter attack football. However it becomes a concern at a club like United when opponents defend in numbers and there's not much room/time to act.
I have seen many times Cavani miss control when he was at United, yet he still performed in his first season here. Mainly because he has great off ball movement. The point is that Lukaku doesn't have both technique/ball control and off ball movement. Meaning Lukaku is too limited to outclass good defenders. If strikers have one of these, they can use it in one of their asset to outclass defenders. Osimhen has one of these, which his movement. Is Osimhen off ball movement poor?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Anyone who follows my posts know that I follow and love the Serie A. I've seen some of the best players ever playing there and in my opinion the best team ever assembled played there as well. However we're not in the 80s and the 90s anymore. The Serie A is far weaker then the EPL and that on top of many 'intrinsic' flaws like its less physical and less intense. Its a league were the likes of Immobile, Abraham and Lookman can top the goalscoring charts. Take Scamacca as an example. He scored 16 goals last season. How is he doing with West Ham now?

I am not saying that we shouldn't take a punt if the opportunity arise but Osimhen is definitely not one of them. Napoli is a rich club and in terms of difficulty in dealing with the owner De Laurentiis makes Levy look like Woodward. On top of that they bought the guy for 70m euros which means that they would want at least double of that. Finally Napoli are playing the best football since a certain Diego Armando Maradona was playing for them. They are firing on all cylinders with Kvaratskhelia acting as a goal/assist machine as well. Can Osimhen replicate that in a more difficult and defensive league? I doubt it.
If we are going to make comparison for this argument we should make comparison with similar type of strikers not just because they played in the same league. IMO it's lazy argument to make point that just because they are from Serie A meaning they are likely will have the same fate. Surely you want to consider why Scamacca fail at PL now?? Is Scamacca the same kind of striker as Osimhen?? Does Immobile know how to adapt in different country and league?? Will Osimhen have the same problem failing to adapt to different country and league after proven capable to perform in two different leagues like Ligue 1 and Serie A?? There has to be more reasons than just ''they play in Serie A''.

devilish

I have seen many times Cavani miss control when he was at United, yet he still performed in his first season here. Mainly because he has great off ball movement. The point is that Lukaku doesn't have both technique/ball control and off ball movement. Meaning Lukaku is too limited to outclass good defenders. If strikers have one of these, they can use it in one of their asset to outclass defenders. Osimhen has one of these, which his movement. Is Osimhen off ball movement poor?TY
Lukaku's ball control is shocking and far worse then Cavani's. It takes him 2 touches to fully control a ball and between one touch and another the ball might move a metre away from him. That makes it easy for the opposition defence to defend against that especially once they learn his flaw.

Regarding your latter question its so difficult to analyse a Serie A player because the gap between the two leagues is so huge. We're talking of a league were the likes of Lookman, Immobile, Scamacca, Abraham and a 33 year old Arnautovic can score tons of goals in. What I know for sure is that Napoli will take us to the cleaners for him and at that price its simply not worth it. We're not talking of a Haaland level of player here let alone a Van Basten one which is the fee Napoli would ask for.

devilish

If we are going to make comparison for this argument we should make comparison with similar type of strikers not just because they played in the same league. IMO it's lazy argument to make point that just because they are from Serie A meaning they are likely will have the same fate. Surely you want to consider why Scamacca fail at PL now?? Is Scamacca the same kind of striker as Osimhen?? Does Immobile know how to adapt in different country and league?? Will Osimhen have the same problem failing to adapt to different country and league after proven capable to perform in two different leagues like Ligue 1 and Serie A?? There has to be more reasons than just ''they play in Serie A''.
Its really funny because back in the 90s I used to have the very same argument but in reverse. Anyway, my point is this. The gap between the two leagues is ridiculously huge and the style of play is very different. Such transfer deal might work or it might not. Actually if you look at the track record as of late then most of the time it didn't work. That means that whoever moves from the Serie A to the EPL is going to be a huge gamble. Can you really gamble 120m-140m on a player? Cause that is what Napoli will be asking.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Lukaku's ball control is shocking and far worse then Cavani's. It takes him 2 touches to fully control a ball and between one touch and another the ball might move a metre away from him. That makes it easy for the opposition defence to defend against that especially once they learn his flaw.
The reason why you think his ball control is problem is because he doesn't have the movement meaning he prefers to receive the ball on his feet constantly with defenders behind on his back. With world class movement, player can have less touch on the ball because they prefer to run behind the defenders to create big space for the striker himself or open space for others and still score. Haaland another example of player who can have less touch on the ball and still score. There was time when he had only two or three touches in a match and scored a goal. Not every strikers need to have many touches.

Regarding your latter question its so difficult to analyse a Serie A player because the gap between the two leagues is so huge. We're talking of a league were the likes of Lookman, Immobile, Scamacca, Abraham and a 33 year old Arnautovic can score tons of goals in. What I know for sure is that Napoli will take us to the cleaners for him and at that price its simply not worth it. We're not talking of a Haaland level of player here let alone a Van Basten one which is the fee Napoli would ask for.
From what I can see from Scamacca and Arnautovic, they are so different type of striker to Osimhen meaning Scamacca and Arnautovic failures shouldn't even be compared to what Osimhen might end up. I would rather focus on ''Have we seen a striker that similar to Osimhen type of striker capable to play in PL?'' I believe we have and I named Cavani.

Have you seen a striker that similar to Osimhen type of striker fails in PL? If you struggle to know what type of striker Osimhen is then I think it's unfair for you to judge him randomly.

Its really funny because back in the 90s I used to have the very same argument but in reverse. Anyway, my point is this. The gap between the two leagues is ridiculously huge and the style of play is very different. Such transfer deal might work or it might not. Actually if you look at the track record as of late then most of the time it didn't work. That means that whoever moves from the Serie A to the EPL is going to be a huge gamble. Can you really gamble 120m-140m on a player? Cause that is what Napoli will be asking.
ETH knows his stuff imo. If he wants Osimhen because he believes he's good enough to play in PL for his system.

Bebestation

who plays high lines for us to make runs in behind? Also whats different as rashford to striker than osihmen except heading?

Bebestation

The goals yesterday was bang average againt below average teams. if ten hag wants him then il be happy, but i wont be surprised if he didnt. He needs serie A level GS in CL to be a safe 150m buy.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's great and everything but i'm not sure why you're using the word strength?

footballbite

the defending was awful today, literraly non existent. Hopefully he can get some goals in the Cl before we break the bank high.
Yep, as I and others here have pointed out Serie A really is crap right now and him scoring lots of goals there doesn't mean that much.

I wouldn't be taking a chance on him unless he's excellent against tougher teams in the CL this season. He didn't even score in his two appearances against a mediocre Liverpool side earlier in the season - in fact when Napoli beat them 4-1 at home he just missed a penalty.

As an aside, looking at his stats "holding on to the ball" and "passing" are highlighted as supposed weaknesses in his game - which is really not the profile of player Utd should be considering for their CF.

devilish

The reason why you think his ball control is problem is because he doesn't have the movement meaning he prefers to receive the ball on his feet constantly with defenders behind on his back. With world class movement, player can have less touch on the ball because they prefer to run behind the defenders to create big space for the striker himself or open space for others and still score. Haaland another example of player who can have less touch on the ball and still score. There was time when he had only two or three touches in a match and scored a goal. Not every strikers need to have many touches.

From what I can see from Scamacca and Arnautovic, they are so different type of striker to Osimhen meaning Scamacca and Arnautovic failures shouldn't even be compared to what Osimhen might end up. I would rather focus on ''Have we seen a striker that similar to Osimhen type of striker capable to play in PL?'' I believe we have and I named Cavani.

Have you seen a striker that similar to Osimhen type of striker fails in PL? If you struggle to know what type of striker Osimhen is then I think it's unfair for you to judge him randomly.

ETH knows his stuff imo. If he wants Osimhen because he believes he's good enough to play in PL for his system.
Lukaku - I agree to a certain extent. However if lack of movement was the biggest issue in here then Lukaku would have struggled with smaller sides as well. Ball control on the other hand is more prevalent at top club level. That's because clubs tend to defend against these side with a low block defence and in numbers which translate to far less space for strikers to operate. Lukaku needs least a yard of space and two touches to fully control the ball. That's something such defences won't allow. Another issue is that Lukaku is not a natural scorer at least not to the extent of the likes of RVN or even Inzaghi. That's the sort of goalscoring ability players of that mould need to be to be effective at this level.

Scamacca- the guy was not at Osimhen's level but he had plenty potential to become so. There had been plenty of Serie A strikers who moved elsewhere and had failed badly. Immobile (Dortmund), Pelle, Balotelli and Maccarone to mention few.

There was a time when bringing in a Serie A striker was a guarantee of success. Defences there were so tight and their defenders were so superior when compared to the EPL that even Juventus work horse Ravanelli could come in the EPL and end up scoring loads of goals. If Batigol came to United when SAF wanted him then they might as well gave us the FA cup and the EPL title at the beginning of the season for lets say 3 years in a row as we would have operated on some sort of cheat mode.

Those times are gone though. Serie A strikers in particular are a gamble. I am not excluding that Osimhen wouldn't be a success. I am only saying that he is a gamble, a 120m-140m rated gamble. That's quite a tag price to carry as well, something that can end a manager's career with United.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I love these sort of posts.

By your algorithm, which leagues are the most suitable leagues to buy players from for PL teams? And show me how you have arrived at this conclusion including the same metrics in terms of strength of the leagues, competitiveness, quality of the defenders (or players in general depending on position).

devilish

I love these sort of posts.

By your algorithm, which leagues are the most suitable leagues to buy players from for PL teams? And show me how you have arrived at this conclusion including the same metrics in terms of strength of the leagues, competitiveness, quality of the defenders (or players in general depending on position).
There's no algorithm but what I see with my very eyes. Regarding your question, that goes way beyond the scope of my knowledge. However if I remember well Stephen Howson had tackled the issue few months back and if memory serves me right it was La Liga followed by the French league.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There's no algorithm but what I see with my very eyes. Regarding your question, that goes way beyond the scope of my knowledge. However if I remember well Stephen Howson had tackled the issue few months back and if memory serves me right it was La Liga followed by the French league.
That’s interesting.

There is no league at a comparable standard to the PL, and even buying players from WITHIN the PL means little. You just have to do your due diligence regarding anyone you want to sign, and Serie A is more than a good enough level of professional football for a PL club to be able to make an assessment on a player.

devilish

That’s interesting.

There is no league at a comparable standard to the PL, and even buying players from WITHIN the PL means little. You just have to do your due diligence regarding anyone you want to sign, and Serie A is more than a good enough level of professional football for a PL club to be able to make an assessment on a player.
Look mate I am just voicing my opinion based on over 30 years of following both leagues including the decline of the Serie A and the rise of the EPL. I never subscribed with the concept of EPL being shit (and players are lazy and unprofessional) pushed forward by the Serie A fans back in the 90s as much as I don't agree with the Serie A being hopeless as some EPL fans might think now. After all the Italian national side beat and largely dominated the English side at Wembley in the Euro final.

However I do believe that there's a massive gap in quality between the two leagues and I believe that is mostly felt up front. You don't need to be a genius to see that. Strikers who had tank elsewhere can go to the Serie A and score loads of goals. Which make players from the Serie A a gamble, in this case a 120m-140m gamble.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Don’t judge player based on the league where they play. Judge whether they have the assets/ability to play in PL. It makes zero sense in football knowledge saying he can’t play in PL because he plays on this or that league. Whether Osimhen can play or not in PL, I prefer to hear an opinion based on footballer’s ability not based on the league where they came from. Maguire is from PL and he couldn‘t perform at United.

bosskeano

The issue with trying to get Osimhen in the summer is that a club like Chelsea will be willing to spend 120m or more to land him which will take Utd out of the equation

NLunited

We should never spend that kind of money on Osimhen. He is not Haaland or Mbappé, so kindly feck off Napoli.

Chelsea is going to run into FFP issues.

Take the 120 million and buy 2-4 quality players with it: a dm, a striker, a number 10 and a rb.

bosskeano

Pointless to even think about going after Kane....he's not going to leave Spurs for United

Shai-Hulud

Pointless to even think about going after Kane....he's not going to leave Spurs for United
I think he would. But it wouldn't be good value for us, considering the fee Levy would demand, Kane's age, and somewhat spotty injury record.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
We can win more shit with three new upgrades rather than just Kane.
Not the point anyone made. The point that was made was kane isn't good value if he costs 80-100 mil. The counter point was that he is good value if when he signs, united go on and win shit. If united win the league title with Harry kane leading the line then it's obviously good value and a good signing.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Not the point anyone made. The point that was made was kane isn't good value if he costs 80-100 mil. The counter point was that he is good value if when he signs, united go on and win shit. If united win the league title with Harry kane leading the line then it's obviously good value and a good signing.
What's the argument you are trying to make then? No one would give a feck about Kane costing 100m if we had a 600m budget but we don't. The entire hesitance to buying him for that price is that we aren't just a "striker away" from winning everything as a squad and shelling out a huge portion of our budget for a 30 year old that doesn't quite fit the profile in terms of running that we want is a big risk

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
What's the argument you are trying to make then? No one would give a feck about Kane costing 100m if we had a 600m budget but we don't. The entire hesitance to buying him for that price is that we aren't just a "striker away" from winning everything as a squad and shelling out a huge portion of our budget for a 30 year old that doesn't quite fit the profile in terms of running that we want is a big risk
If we sign kane £80-100mil and he bangs in the goals next season and we win the league, it's money well spent. It's simple as that. This talk of value is bollocks when you're talking about arguably the best striker in the league and one of the best in the world.

Valencia Shin Crosses

If we sign kane £80-100mil and he bangs in the goals next season and we win the league, it's money well spent. It's simple as that. This talk of value is bollocks when you're talking about arguably the best striker in the league and one of the best in the world.
Are you a simpleton? It's not bollocks, we have a fecking budget and spanking it on Kane without knowing ahead of time if we win the league like some fortune teller carries an element of risk that you don't seem to be able to comprehend (not even counting that, again, we aren't just a striker away from blowing every team off the pitch).

You're acting as though it's done and dusted we buy him and the league is ours when people are debating whether he's good value. No shit if we knew ahead of time all it takes to win the league is Harry Kane then we'd be all for it at any price, but we don't.