Gaming Video game suggestions

jem

Ok, as part of my early-40's mid-life, post-separation crisis, I bought myself a PS4. Previously, I'd only really played sports games and the Arkham series on a PS3 (which I bought primarily for the Blu-ray/Netflix access - so very 2009!)

So anyway, I've played The Last of Us and the Uncharted series in the last few months, and I loved them. Can anyone recommend any other games in that genre? I'm not crazy about Assassin's Creed Unity (my only experience with that series,) and I was a bit disappointed by Arkham Knight.

Help a redcafe brother out!

Dan

The Wolfenstein games if you love old school FPS.

NM

All the GTA games. God of War 3 (Remastered) and the new God of War that will release this month

Eriku

The Witcher 3.

And if you want a challenge, get Dark Souls when it comes out late May.

Fridge chutney

Last of us was an incredible game. I also enjoyed the uncharted series (Although yet to play #4).

Hands down the best game ever made is The Witcher 3. I was not used to that genre but a friend heavily recommended it. Takes a few sessions to get used to but I assure you, it is worth it! Incredibly beautiful and diverse game.

jem

Last of us was an incredible game. I also enjoyed the uncharted series (Although yet to play #4).

Hands down the best game ever made is The Witcher 3. I was not used to that genre but a friend heavily recommended it. Takes a few sessions to get used to but I assure you, it is worth it! Incredibly beautiful and diverse game.
I'm guessing there is a Witcher 1 and and a Witcher 2? Do I need to play those first? Thanks for the suggestion!

Fridge chutney

I'm guessing there is a Witcher 1 and and a Witcher 2? Do I need to play those first? Thanks for the suggestion!
No you don't. I thoroughly enjoyed 3 without playing 1 or 2.

#2 looks pretty good but I'm not sure if it is available on PS4.

Revan

Assumptionman
Witcher 1 is pretty much pointless (though an okay/decent game), Witcher 2 is a very good game and builds well the story for Witcher 3 which is an incredible game.

While Witcher 3 can be played as a standalone, I would highly recommend to play Witcher 2 before it. Witcher 1 can easily be skipped.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Ok, as part of my early-40's mid-life, post-separation crisis, I bought myself a PS4. Previously, I'd only really played sports games and the Arkham series on a PS3 (which I bought primarily for the Blu-ray/Netflix access - so very 2009!)

So anyway, I've played The Last of Us and the Uncharted series in the last few months, and I loved them. Can anyone recommend any other games in that genre? I'm not crazy about Assassin's Creed Unity (my only experience with that series,) and I was a bit disappointed by Arkham Knight.

If you like Uncharted then i would recommend Tomb Raider. You can get Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, then you can get Rise of The Tomb Raider. Similar to Uncharted mechanically as they both borrow from each other quite a bit.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Tomb Raider
Persona 5
Final Fantasy 15
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the first sin
Dark Souls 3
Bloodborne
Nioh
The Witcher 3

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Haven't played myself but is highly rated:
Rise of the tomb raider
Monster hunter world
Horizon zero dawn
Nier Automata
Ni no kuni 2
GTA 5
Metal gear solid 5: The phantom pain.
Journey
Shadow of the colossus

Bolded are must-play in my opinion.

The Bloody-Nine

Tomb Raider
Persona 5
Final Fantasy 15
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the first sin
Dark Souls 3
Bloodborne
Nioh
The Witcher 3

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Haven't played myself but is highly rated:
Rise of the tomb raider
Monster hunter world
Horizon zero dawn
Nier Automata
Ni no kuni 2
GTA 5
Metal gear solid 5: The phantom pain.
Journey
Shadow of the colossus

Bolded are must-play in my opinion.
Dude is just getting back into gaming and you recommend the bolded? You sick bastard. :lol:;)

dove

I would also add Assasin's Creed Origins. I finished the game 100% and I feel it's quite underrated by critics. Absolutely the best game of the whole AC series. Huge map (but lively), lots of attention to detail (I was quite shocked by that previously played older AC games and they never had it) and it has a discovery mode which is quite interesting as well, I learnt more playing this than in History lessons during all of my school years combined :lol:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
If you want mindless blasting, Titanfall 2 is good fun.

The Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn are great if you want to get totally immersed.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I’m after slightly different games guys. I want a quick and easy 8 hour game akin to something like oxenfree or that Fables game?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Witcher 3 is hands down the best game I've ever played. Just play that.

ravi2

Grand theft auto V

Few games have brought me the enjoyment that the Grand theft auto series has.

Not sure what genres of games interest OP but the Mass Effect series is great and FIFA 18 is fun as well.
The Division is a superb MMO that I still play daily.

el3mel

Rise of Tomb Raider ( if you liked Uncharted )
GTA V ( best modern open world )
The Witcher 3 ( best RPG ever, didn't play Zelda for obvious reasons )
Bloodborne
Assassin's Creed Origins ( forget Unity, this is the real deal )
Watch Dogs 2
Final Fantasy XV
Dishonored 2
MGS V
Horizon Zero dawn (highly recommended, one of the best PS4 exclusives)
Battlefield 1 (if you want an online shooter)

Plenty of great games to try. Make use of PS Plus free games as well.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I’m after slightly different games guys. I want a quick and easy 8 hour game akin to something like oxenfree or that Fables game?
Have no idea what oxenfree is and never played Fable. But a short and interesting game I played a while back was Life is Strange. Maybe check out a trailer.

el3mel

Have no idea what oxenfree is and never played Fable. But a short and interesting game I played a while back was Life is Strange. Maybe check out a trailer.
Oh Life is Strange. :drool: One of the best interactive drama I have ever played. It brings several new concepts and creative gameplay that was actually better than those Telltale games imo.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

Monster Hunter World. Seriously when I first started playing I was a bit meh but now I’m something like 320hrs in and loving it. Capcom keep adding content as well, and having events so it’s great fun.

Witcher 3 is great, I played it not having played the others and really enjoyed it.

I would recommend the Mass-Effect series 1 to 3. ME2 is up there as one of my favourite games ever. Just don’t tarnish the first trilogy with the rubbish that was Andromeda.

Faetheshire86

Both games you have mentioned are pretty linear. God of War (2018) is coming out in a few weeks, so keep an eye out for that. If you want to be a bit more adventurous Horizon Zero Dawn, would be a good first step into open world games. Good story, accessible, incredibly polished.

Give Night in the Woods a go... there's not much in terms of gameplay, but the story/character development is really strong.