Gaming Video game suggestions

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Been playing the remastered version of X, still amazing as ever and highly recommended if you like RPGs. Aged well too.
Yeah, I got to the final boss (Sin), beat him first time, put the controller down only to realise there was a second battle... died and never played the game again.

SuperiorXI

Yeah, I got to the final boss (Sin), beat him first time, put the controller down only to realise there was a second battle... died and never played the game again.
:lol: sin is actually a weak boss compared to all the new optional bosses available in the remastered version. You should give it another go!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
:lol: sin is actually a weak boss compared to all the new optional bosses available in the remastered version. You should give it another go!
Once I put a game away, I never go back. Same with Witcher 3 - got halfway through the 2nd expansion (summer 2016) and haven't played it since. Don't know why.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Horizon Zero Dawn
Metal Gear Solid V
Witcher 3
The Last Guardian
Nioh
Bloodborne
SOMA
Persona 5

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Been playing the remastered version of X, still amazing as ever and highly recommended if you like RPGs. Aged well too.
Play it from time to time myself, it's aged decently like most of the turn-based ones. If you enjoyed those systems then they'll almost always be fun.

GazTheLegend

Ok, as part of my early-40's mid-life, post-separation crisis, I bought myself a PS4. Previously, I'd only really played sports games and the Arkham series on a PS3 (which I bought primarily for the Blu-ray/Netflix access - so very 2009!)

So anyway, I've played The Last of Us and the Uncharted series in the last few months, and I loved them. Can anyone recommend any other games in that genre?
Dark souls 2/3 are both great games... brutal but great.

Off genre - Rocket league is a blast esp with friends. Closest experience to football you get on a game system (only with flying rocket powered cars - it’s honestly even more fun than it sounds)

Back on genre - a sneaky hidden gem imo - “Dying Light”. Awesome free running z game with a great netcode if you play with buddies (optional)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
If you like Uncharted and Last of Us then i'd 100% go for the new Tomb Raider games as they're pretty similar.

I also echo the lads in here and say that Witcher 3 is a must buy. Those 3 games will keep you busy for a long time!

Melvyn

prostate examiner
I hear the new Far Cry is pretty good.

The new Tomb Raiders are a lot like Uncharted, as other posters have said.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Out of games not mentioned, i liked Until Dawn quite alot. It's basically a game version of the "i know what you did last summer" "Scream" movies.
8 highschool teens in a cabin on a mountain. Hayden Panettiere, Peter Stormare, amongst the actors.
Your goal is to survive with as many of them as possible until dawn, when the storm is over and they can be picked up.

If you're very picky in games, and get annoyed by little things, it might not be your cup of tea, but i think it's great entertainment.
I have played it again with friends 2 times after my first play through. I actually enjoyed watching them play, and see the choices they pick.

Off genre - Rocket league is a blast esp with friends. Closest experience to football you get on a game system (only with flying rocket powered cars - it’s honestly even more fun than it sounds)
This is amazing! 5 minutes matches, lots of action, easy to learn, hard to master.

Grylte

Oh good shout, Until Dawn is great. Thats a game you will really like I think @jem
And if you're not a hardcore gamer, or are a bit rusty,it is easy to get the hang of, since it isn't very skill based.
It's mainly about picking the right options, and in some few parts you need a bit of reactions - no big deal if you know where your buttons are ;)

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The Talos Principle
The Sexy Brutale
Transistor
INSIDE
LIMBO
Owlboy
Journey
Thumper
What Remains of Edith Finch
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Fez

Because nobody else is going to mention them.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
You mean the dark aeons and penance? they were in the original (international) version too and I think I spent about 130 hours or something crazy at the time beating them all.

narnar

Needs Help
Bloodborne, if you have a PS4 it's a must have game. Might still be free as part of ps plus. I think the offer runs out tonight or tomorrow morning though.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I've played a couple hours of bloodborne. What's so great about it? It's completely annoying as feck having to start over every time too when you die.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I'm guessing there is a Witcher 1 and and a Witcher 2? Do I need to play those first? Thanks for the suggestion!
It's a massove story. Can only play 1 and 2 on PC but there are good videos on youtube that sum the story up.

Grylte

Just remembered Teslagrad. I played it on Wii U, but it's on the PS4 as well, that was a great game.
Aaaaaaaah!
That was the name of that game!
Was talking to a friend of mine this weekend, and i just couldn't remember that game's name.
Which is a shame, since i know atleast half the people who made it :lol:
Edit: a couple guys who helped them! (just googled to make sure, and i found out i kinda exaggerated :p )

Great little puzzle game that i would recommend even if i didn't know them ;)

Last edited:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
If your not sure what you will enjoy I'd recommend signing up for PlayStation now. 13 quid a month and about 600 games you can stream so you can try loads and get a feel for what you are into

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Bought dark souls 3 the other day, I've not had chance to get on it yet and have never played any of the others. Do I need to or can I jump straight into this?

diarm

Ok, as part of my early-40's mid-life, post-separation crisis, I bought myself a PS4. Previously, I'd only really played sports games and the Arkham series on a PS3 (which I bought primarily for the Blu-ray/Netflix access - so very 2009!)

So anyway, I've played The Last of Us and the Uncharted series in the last few months, and I loved them. Can anyone recommend any other games in that genre? I'm not crazy about Assassin's Creed Unity (my only experience with that series,) and I was a bit disappointed by Arkham Knight.

Help a redcafe brother out!
I bought a PS4 last year as I turned 30, having not played a video game other than PES in college since I was around 10. In the last 12 months I've played:

Horizon Zero Dawn
The Last of Us
The Witcher 3
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
The Golf Club 2
PES 2017
Fallout 4
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Tomb Raider
Just Cause 3

Horizon was the best by a long distance. The Witcher 3 and The Last of Us were excellent but perhaps because of the all the hype my expectations were too high, or maybe because I played them after completing Horizon - neither matched up to that masterpiece.

MGSV and Tomb Raider are enjoyable enough and Just Cause 3 is mental fun but I'd avoid Fallout 4 and Deus Ex to be honest.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It depends on the kind of games you like.

For me these two are the cream of the crop I've played on the ps4.

The Witcher 3 - One of two greatest games of all time IMO
Nier Automata - Still playing it but looks a proper masterpiece.
Dark Souls/Bloodborne - Brutal but brilliant games. Given your previous gaming exprience these may not suit you.

Then there's the ones I thought were excellent

Yakuza 0
PES 2018
Horizon
MGSV

I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Revan

Assumptionman
I bought a PS4 last year as I turned 30, having not played a video game other than PES in college since I was around 10. In the last 12 months I've played:

Horizon Zero Dawn
The Last of Us
The Witcher 3
The Golf Club 2
PES 2017
Fallout 4
Tomb Raider
Just Cause 3

Horizon was the best by a long distance. The Witcher 3 and The Last of Us were excellent but perhaps because of the all the hype my expectations were too high, or maybe because I played them after completing Horizon - neither matched up to that masterpiece.

MGSV and Tomb Raider are enjoyable enough and Just Cause 3 is mental fun but I'd avoid Fallout 4 and Deus Ex to be honest.
I actually loved Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. It has a better (though very similar, but more polished) gameplay than Human Revolution and much more importantly, they don't use the same location all over again.

The story sucked a bit compared with Human Revolution and especially the original Deus Ex, but I think that the other parts were good enough to make it a very good game.

Siorac

I actually loved Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. It has a better (though very similar, but more polished) gameplay than Human Revolution and much more importantly, they don't use the same location all over again.

The story sucked a bit compared with Human Revolution and especially the original Deus Ex, but I think that the other parts were good enough to make it a very good game.
What do you mean by that? It has one city hub (Prague) as opposed to Human Revolution's two (Detroit and Hengsha). And while there was plenty to explore in Prague, ultimately I would have preferred if we had had another city to look around.

Revan

Assumptionman
What do you mean by that? It has one city hub (Prague) as opposed to Human Revolution's two (Detroit and Hengsha). And while there was plenty to explore in Prague, ultimately I would have preferred if we had had another city to look around.
The sewers dungeons in Human Revolution were totally the same regardless of the city, which I found boring. The world in Mankind Divided is smaller, but more detailed.

I really dislike repetitive things in video games and Human Revolution was full of them. Nowhere near the level of Ubisoft games, but still.

Mankind Divided left the formula which the original game created on going to different cities, but still, I really liked how detailed Prague was (more than any city in the franchise).

JohnLocke

Spelunky.

Hands down the best game of recent years. Surprised it's not even got a mention!

Edit: Didn't realise it was for games like Uncharted. Although it is similar in some ways I suppose. There's treasure!

amolbhatia50k

I was disappointed by Mankind Divided. The original Deus Ex holds a special place with it being the greatest game of all time in my mind, so there's always that enormous shadow lurking over every following Deus Ex experience. But I believe I'm usually able to judge games/films in their own merit. And while Human Revolution gave me that Deus Ex feeling I craved for so long in that I simply love the kind of game it is, and boss battles aside I thought it was an excellent game in general, Mankind Divided just left me feeling empty. I don't know if it was the weak narrative or the feeling that Prague, as nice as it looked, felt a very limited and claustrophobic world. I'm going to give MD another shot soon, probably on a higher difficulty, but my first experience with it was lacking.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Buy Horizon Zero Dawn and the Witcher 3, you'll love them, then you'll forever be disappointed by every game you ever player after, whilst muttering "I wish this racing game/football game/survival horror/episode of the walking dead/newspaper was more like Horizon Zero Dawn meets the Witcher 3"

RedPnutz

The Witcher 3, no doubt.

Followed by,
Tomb Raider
Horizon Zero Dawn
Dark Souls

That’s probably around 300 hours of gaming time.

el3mel

Horizon Zero Dawn
The Last of Us
The Witcher 3
The Golf Club 2
PES 2017
Fallout 4
Tomb Raider
Just Cause 3

Disagree. Deus Ex Mankind Divided was a very good game and I really enjoyed it.

Fallout 4 was a big disappointed yeah. Too much hype but didn't get myself to complete it.

jem

Ok, need some new recommendations. Metal Gear Solid V: yay or nay?

amolbhatia50k

Im a fan of the series but for you
  • The best action/ stealth gameplay out there. So if feeling like a badass in an open world and mainly small set pieces sounds good to you, go for it as there's a lot of that. But it is repetitive. You have to really like stealth
  • Story and narrative wise it's a curve ball. Not as interesting as MGS games tend to be ( to me). But even for gamers in general it may seem a tad off.
I really did like the game despite some flaws though. For fans of mgs and stealth games it's a must play.

Irwin99

You should be able to get this very cheap second hand so i'd say it's a must if you like stealth/action games. I've just begun a second playthrough of this after 3 years away from it and i'm trying to get the platinum.

Im a fan of the series but for you
  • The best action/ stealth gameplay out there. So if feeling like a badass in an open world and mainly small set pieces sounds good to you, go for it as there's a lot of that. But it is repetitive. You have to really like stealth
  • Story and narrative wise it's a curve ball. Not as interesting as MGS games tend to be ( to me). But even for gamers in general it may seem a tad off.
I really did like the game despite some flaws though. For fans of mgs and stealth games it's a must play.
Agree 100%. It has the best gameplay of any MGS but the story is painfully incomplete. Considering the game has hundreds of hours worth of stuff to do it just seems bizarre that it isn't even fully finished.