Gaming Video game suggestions

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Didn’t like MGSV too much. Felt like it never ended and I was constantly doing the same shit every mission. So much fultoning.

ravi2

Im a fan of the series but for you
  • The best action/ stealth gameplay out there. So if feeling like a badass in an open world and mainly small set pieces sounds good to you, go for it as there's a lot of that. But it is repetitive. You have to really like stealth
  • Story and narrative wise it's a curve ball. Not as interesting as MGS games tend to be ( to me). But even for gamers in general it may seem a tad off.
I really did like the game despite some flaws though. For fans of mgs and stealth games it's a must play.
I'm terms of stealth, is it better than splinter cell?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm terms of stealth, is it better than splinter cell?
For me, it's this generations realisation of a mix between Splinter Cell and MGS gameplay - which is a good thing. I liked SC but always preferred MGS due to the strength it had in its characters and story. However as far as gameplay goes I'd say MGSV is more like SC, just much more advanced and less linear - always felt SC was a tad easy (but great for its time of course).

ravi2

For me, it's this generations realisation of a mix between Splinter Cell and MGS gameplay - which is a good thing. I liked SC but always preferred MGS due to the strength it had in its characters and story. However as far as gameplay goes I'd say MGSV is more like SC, just much more advanced and less linear - always felt SC was a tad easy (but great for its time of course).
I think I bought the last metal gear but could not get into it for some reason. I'll have to give it another go because splinter cell and stealth games are right up my alley

amolbhatia50k

I think I bought the last metal gear but could not get into it for some reason. I'll have to give it another go because splinter cell and stealth games are right up my alley
Then I think you'll really enjoy this. Probably more than the previous Metal Gear games which are not everybody's cup of tea. But the people who do like them (like moi) tend to adore them and hence the iconic stature.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I am in the last chapter of A Plague Tale: Innocence. If you want a game focused on a great story and fantastic atmosphere you will not regret getting this - especially if you liked The Last of Us.

Beside that I also have to repeat the recommendation of Dark Souls. It is difficult and you might end up hating it but to me those games brought back the feeling of adventure and excitement I had in my youth when I started playing video games.

pacifictheme

Batman Arkham Knight was free on psn back on the summer. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't played the games before. Played it the other day and it was brilliant. Apparently all the arkham games are.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Have you played the new Deus Ex games? I think they're both better as standalone stealth games than MGSV is. Alternatively, the Hitman games are cool and you can be very creative in them.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I am in the last chapter of A Plague Tale: Innocence. If you want a game focused on a great story and fantastic atmosphere you will not regret getting this - especially if you liked The Last of Us.
I downloaded this last weekend. I've only played about 30 minutes but have enjoyed it so far. I'm waiting until I get a bit more time before carrying on. It's good then yes?

I did notice some initial similarities with TLOU.

Volumiza

Alternatively, the Hitman games are cool and you can be very creative in them.
You know what? In all my years playing video games I've never actually played a Hitman game. Always one of those games that seem to come about while I'm into something else and never get round to playing them.

Siorac

Didn’t like MGSV too much. Felt like it never ended and I was constantly doing the same shit every mission. So much fultoning.
Also, the Afghani desert was pretty much the most boring setting imaginable. After a few hours I got sick of sand (it's coarse and rough and gets everywhere) and quit the game, even though I liked the stealth mechanics and the gameplay.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Another game that would benefit so much from being fleshed out way more. The whole base thing was a cool idea but ultimately felt totally pointless and empty.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
You know what? In all my years playing video games I've never actually played a Hitman game. Always one of those games that seem to come about while I'm into something else and never get round to playing them.
I can't speak about the old ones but the new ones are really kinda cool. They feel a lot like puzzle games in how you can approach them. Sometimes they're just plain weird... like dressing as a clown and committing a heinous act while the party is in full swing.

Raw

Blood Money is a brilliant Hitman game, highly recommend that one.

Volumiza

I can't speak about the old ones but the new ones are really kinda cool. They feel a lot like puzzle games in how you can approach them. Sometimes they're just plain weird... like dressing as a clown and committing a heinous act while the party is in full swing.
I'll get round to it one day :lol:

Volumiza

I'll check it out. I am actually splitting with my partner of 10 years so am getting my own place when ours sells, seems I'll have a lot more time on my hands sometime soon.

Raw

I downloaded that for free off the PSN the other months and played it through twice on the trot. Really surprising how good that was.
Same here, I was surprised how good it was. It also came with Heavy Rain which I heard was very good, but honestly I didn't enjoy it as much. Playing it straight after Detroit didn't help things (huge decline in graphics for one, but I appreciate that for its time the graphics were amazing) but it also just felt clunky to play. Pretty good story though, I'd recommend it if you don't know any spoilers.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The most recent one was a return to form as well.

Hitman: Absolution was atrocious. They basically turned it into an action game.

Volumiza

Same here, I was surprised how good it was. It also came with Heavy Rain which I heard was very good, but honestly I didn't enjoy it as much. Playing it straight after Detroit didn't help things (huge gap in graphics for one) but it also just felt clunky to play. Pretty good story though, I'd recommend it if you don't know any spoilers.
I played Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls when they first came out. They were great then but haven't aged well. It was surprising that Detroit got some pretty lukewarm reviews in comparison.

jem

Thanks for all the amazing feedback - keep it coming. Black Friday is coming so I imagine there might be some deals, no? I just signed up for Playstation Plus (mostly for my son to play Minecraft online.) I imagine there might be some good Black Friday deals with this, no?

Raw

Thanks for all the amazing feedback - keep it coming. Black Friday is coming so I imagine there might be some deals, no? I just signed up for Playstation Plus (mostly for my son to play Minecraft online.) I imagine there might be some good Black Friday deals with this, no?
There definitely should be some deals then and on Cyber Monday.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I downloaded that for free off the PSN the other months and played it through twice on the trot. Really surprising how good that was.

Same :). I thought for free why not and I ended up doing a couple of playthroughs too. It surprised me how much I enjoyed it and how much I actually felt fir the characters.

el3mel

I played Bloodstained Ritual Of The Night recently and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to get much recognition. If anyone would like a Metroidvania game like the good old days but with modern look and on a big platform like PC, you need to play it and now.

Volumiza

Same :). I thought for free why not and I ended up doing a couple of playthroughs too. It surprised me how much I enjoyed it and how much I actually felt fir the characters.
yeah, my play throughs were both very different which is cool. I did start a 3rd play through but didn’t get very far before I realised maybe it wasn’t worth it :lol:

ravi2

Have you played the new Deus Ex games? I think they're both better as standalone stealth games than MGSV is. Alternatively, the Hitman games are cool and you can be very creative in them.
Just checked out reviews and gameplay for Deus ex, it looked fantastic so I grabbed it.
It is downloading as we speak, thanks!

I bought hitman but got through halfway before getting bored as the pace of that game can get slow

Last edited:

jem

Assassin's Creed Odyssey : yay or nay? I brought Unity a few years back and was decidedly underwhelmed.

Irwin99

Assassin's Creed Odyssey : yay or nay? I brought Unity a few years back and was decidedly underwhelmed.
Tricky one. I'd lost interest in the series many years ago but I love the ancient Greek world and this drew me back into giving this one a go. Combat was ok and the world and the setting is fantastic. The story isn't great but overall i'd say it was a pretty fun game.

If you liked Witcher 3 and don't mind it being an obvious and not as good clone then you might like this.

jem

Tricky one. I'd lost interest in the series many years ago but I love the ancient Greek world and this drew me back into giving this one a go. Combat was ok and the world and the setting is fantastic. The story isn't great but overall i'd say it was a pretty fun game.

If you liked Witcher 3 and don't mind it being an obvious and not as good clone then you might like this.
I fecking love Witcher 3! If it's half as good as that, then I'm getting it!

amolbhatia50k

It have me an hour or two's worth of enjoyment after which it was all downhill. It might be someone else's cup of tea but I found it largely bland, with a lot that meant very little. I'd pass. But if you don't mind the 'grind' then you may have a different view.

jem

How about Hitman? Watch Dogs (1 or 2?) I'm checking out Black Friday deals

amolbhatia50k

I'm thinking you may be better off avoiding my suggestions henceforth. I've become very fussy about games in recent years, leaving a lot of games part way once I'm bored with them. Hitman was another one I liked for 4-5 hours but got a bit bored of the formula. The first few missions were great though so if you don't mind more and more of that then it's a solid buy.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I second Hitman. It's well made and immersive. The missions are challenging but it's not a game you would play for long periods as it's just well, completing missions. I found it enjoyable to play parts on and off.

I haven't played Watch Dogs but I would recommend to stay away as it's made by a poor developer.

What kind of games do you like in general?

My most enjoyable game on ps4 to date has been Bloodborne by far. Have you played that yet? You can pick it up for dirt cheap nowadays.

Last edited:

Halftrack

Hitman's good. I really enjoy the challenge of trying to pull off the perfect hit. The levels are large, and after you've completed the main mission, you can revisit the level in "side" missions with different targets. Or you can go after the main targets to improve your rating, or try to take them out in a different way.

Watch Dogs 1 is baaaaad, and the main character is an annoying, unsympathetic cnut who makes it even worse. The second one's supposed to be a lot better, but my experience with it limited.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
It really is a mixed bag imo

Pros
+ Amazing visuals and the world design is top notch
+ Combat is actually a lot more fun and challenging than in previous tittles (complete overhaul in Origins). In older titles you could just stand there and block and then parry everything it was utterly braindead
+ The story is alright, though a bit cliche

Cons
- Its too damn big. You have to assassinate 20+ something "cultists" who you all have to uncover and after a while it all starts to feel pretty repetitive
- The level up and gear system feels just tacked on and has zero depth. There are 6 different melee weapons+bows, but a level 1 weapon is exactly the same as a level 50 weapon just with higher numbers. Same with armor. There are some legendary weapons and armor sets that can give bonuses like lifesteal and improved abilities, but its nothing revolutionary and it just makes you kill faster at the end of the day

You also progress through levels so fast and considering how much weapons and armor jumps in power from level to level it just makes the whole system meaningless. You could find a legendary weapon at level 28 and then 30 minutes later you could find a normal quality weapon on level 30 that is stronger. Now you can upgrade stuff to match your current level, but if you wanted to do that you would have to do a whole lot of grinding to get all the resources you need to keep your gear up to date. They also throw "legendary" gear at you like candy so it does not really feel very legendary

Its alright, but with this as pretty much every other 3rd person ARPG i just wish i was playing Dark Souls instead. Just gotta wait for Elden Ring and hope that is good