Vidic

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Why does he do the spastic tackles like the one he got his second card for? He's been doing them quite a lot in recent months, although this one wasnt that bad but a clear yellow card.

evil_geko

Why does he do the spastic tackles like the one he got his second card for? He's been doing them quite a lot in recent months, although this one wasnt that bad but a clear yellow card.
There was only a few minutes left to the game, would you like more we conceded and game over?
He did that for the team and rightly so, his first yellow was stupid though.

Alex

Umm cause Kuyt would have been clear in it was actually a good play imo

Had Valencia aimed 6'' lower everyone would have agreed with this

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Because pace is not a stength of his. When he finds himself one on one with someone pacey like Torres he often has no option but to bring them down.

I remember one he did on Obafemi Martins (last season?) too.

RonaldoVII

To keep us in with a chance. What a stupid question. It's called a professional foul. Carragher did the same on Owen and it stopped him having a 1v1 to make it 1-1.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
They probably would've scored if he didn't, so he made the right recovery choice - instead of trying to keep up with him which he wouldn't have been able to do, he made sure they got a meaningless free kick in the middle of the pitch - it's just poor positioning from him in the first place is the problem.

He does give away far too many fouls though, in general.

Brwned

Proof of that: In the last 3 and a half seasons Rio's given away 64 fouls, in the same period of time Vidic has given away 175.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Proof of that: In the last 3 and a half seasons Rio's given away 64 fouls, in the same period of time Vidic has given away 175.

It's not fair to make that comparison, firstly Rio played less games, second Vidic has a game based much more on anticipation, thus more likely to commit fouls in a split second.

His red card today is a pity in that people will keep on blathering about how he's not been the same player since Liverpool, whilst five minutes prior to the final whistle I was about to name him our man of the match.

togg

Rio and Vidic are not the partnership they once were and I'm sure this is worrying Fergie since he believes and solid defense is the key to success. Not sure what it is really, but they are both off kilter at the same time which is very concerning at this stage of the season. I think Rio is going to be injured often over this season which means Vidic and he won't get the same rapport as they had...

we will have to see...

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I'm not saying he's been bad just that he makes needlessly reckless challenges to often, and if he'd avoided making the challenge he could have forced Kuyt out to the side instead. He can't be that slower than Kuyt. I havent seen the replay yet though so I could be wrong.

The_Midfielder

Well Vidic had to do it.. Kuyt was the last man.. but did you see that Kuyt swan dive ?

brewlio

A prince among poopers
Surely not worthy of a thread, could have been incorporated into another.

It's called taking 1 for the team. Kuyt was through 1 on 1 with VDS. At 1-0 down, sensible play I say

Spoony

The People's President
I thought he was ok. Rio should;ve done better for the Torres goal.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Our defence was superb all day. I can't fault him.

Alex

It;s worthy of a thread just so we can call himan idiot

Alex

I disagree Torres is world class, Rio did basically as much as he could with getting a card, it was a stunning finish by Torres and sometimes you just have to take your hat off too them, had he done any more we'd be talking about rios red card

evil_geko

Vidic was shit, what the feck was he doing misjudging a ball over the top like that. Needs to pull his finger out.
No, he was not shit, he was one of United's best players, getting a red card at the end of the game doesn't make you whole game suddenly shit.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Is it just me or did Vidic make a fantastic tackle against Benayoun in the box somewhere late in the game? Or did i dream that during the match? Coz i may have fallen asleep, given that he's being treated like fecking Titus Bramble at the moment.

Brwned

That doesn't conclude much.
It concludes that Vidic has given away 110 fouls more than Rio.

That's nearly 200% more.

That's quite a difference, if you hadn't realised.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world

That's nearly 200% more.

Let's not forget that Vidic is the destroyer, Rio the sweeper behind him. When Rio has to come forward and commits himself, he sometimes makes mistakes and gives away fouls as well.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

That's nearly 200% more.

It doesn't conclude much to be honest. Vidic makes much more tackles, you'll find a stat for that too. He's usually the one going forward and attacking the ball. That's why they work so well, they compliment each other very well.

I thought Vidic was good today. Rio was much worse. And Evra left too much space for them to attack our centre backs. Plus with the Carrick-Scholes midfield, our back four has very little tackling protection infront of them. This is so the wrong game for Carrick AND Scholes. Liverpool in recent times have always had that extra bite against us. They seem more physically up for it. We needed to match that, and this midfield is physically too immobile and tackle-averse (or in Scholes' case good tackle-averse)

Unfortunately Vidic gets exposed by real pace. Its his one major weakness and is something he needs to improve on. He keeps finding himself in these situations where he is forced to make such tackles due to no other option.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What more could Rio have done? If he'd commited himself to chasing Torres earlier it would've left another Liverpool player (didn't see who it was) with a free run to goal down the left hand side where Rio had vacated. Nobody was in a position to be able to stop that player if Rio had moved across any earlier.

As it was he almost stopped Torres, and at the very least pushed him wide enough that VDS had a chance at stopping the shot.

Decotron

Vidic happy at United
Defender dismisses move rumours
Last updated: 13th November 2009

Nemanja Vidic has rejected rumours linking him with a move away from Manchester United.

The Serbian's long-term future has been the subject of speculation in recent months, with the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and AC Milan all credited with an interest in his services.

However, Vidic insists he is happy at Old Trafford and is focused on winning more silverware with United.

"I am happy at Manchester United and I am looking forward to winning more trophies and I don't think about leaving," Vidic told Sky Sports News.

Vidic is confident United can enjoy success this season, despite falling five points behind leaders Chelsea in the Premier League following last weekend's defeat at Stamford Bridge.

"Our mentality does not change after a few games, we know what we need to do this year," added Vidic.

"Definitely it will be hard, but I think we have a good squad, a big squad to do well this season."

Missing
Meanwhile, Vidic is confident they can cope without Sir Alex Ferguson during his touchline ban.

Ferguson was handed a two-match suspension for his disparaging comments about referee Alan Wiley's fitness after United's draw with Sunderland in October.

The United chief will be forced to sit in the stands for the games at home to Everton on 21st November and away at Portsmouth on 28th November, and Vidic admits the manager's input will be missed.

"It is always good of course to have the manager on the touchline because he needs to give advice to players, to change the team if he needs to and always that way we need him," added Vidic.