Vidic

Status
Not open for further replies.

vuc

First Team Serb
Nemanja Vidic has the highest win percentage (71.37%) of any United player in history who has made more than 60 appearances for the club.
Impressive. His consistency is one of the best things about him. When he plays, you know that he is going to put in clean sheets and stop goals even when he isn't at 100% - but when he is, he usually stays like it for a long time. There has only really ever been injury and the initial settling in period where he wasn't anything but solid.

Must go down as one of the best defenders of his generation easily.

anver

Shart stop
It's not good to talk: Vidic to give City pair the silent treatment before derby clash

By Simon Stone, Press Association

PUBLISHED: 14:51 GMT, 3 April 2013 | UPDATED: 16:17 GMT, 3 April 2013

Nemanja Vidic will not talk to his close friends and fellow Serbs Aleksandar Kolarov and Matija Nastasic ahead of Monday’s Manchester derby.

The Manchester United skipper gets on well with his compatriots but the fact they play for Manchester City means there is tension ahead of such a big game.

So for Vidic, the only way to deal with the situation is not to communicate with his countrymen at all.

'I never speak with an opponent before a game,' he said. 'I am good friends with Kolarov and Nastasic. But I don’t like to talk.

'I like to go there and do it. On game day I think about the game, I don’t waste energy before the game starts, otherwise you end up tired.'

Fifteen points clear with seven games left, United are in the happy position of knowing even a draw would effectively clinch a record 20th domestic title.

Yet, after Monday’s FA Cup defeat at Chelsea, a stalemate would represent a hollow victory given the League trophy is the only one available following FA Cup and Champions League exits.

Sir Alex Ferguson will want to get his team selection right, with many United fans believing the decision to include Park Ji-sung at the Etihad Stadium last term handed the initiative to Manchester City.

It leaves Ferguson facing a big call at the back given Vidic, Rio Ferdinand and Jonny Evans all have claims on a starting berth.

Vidic is in a pretty strong position given recent statistics showed he has the highest win percentage of any United player who has made more than 60 appearances for the Old Trafford outfit.

That figure is creeping towards 72 per cent following Saturday’s victory at Sunderland.

And Vidic said: 'Now we have the opportunity to see statistics with the analyst after every game.

'You can see how many tackles or headers you have won. You can look at certain things and see where you can improve. Even the passing rate, you can see the percentage you have got right.

'But it is not just the stats, it is the clips as well. I love to watch them. Not every player looks but you have the chance to - and I do.'

Wayne Rooney will continue to have treatment on the groin injury that ruled him out of the games at Sunderland and Chelsea over Easter.

The 27-year-old has scored three goals in his last seven United appearances and with Robin van Persie out of touch for his club, Rooney could be even more important over the next couple of weeks.

And having netted in both England World Cup qualifiers as well, it would be a major surprise if Rooney is overlooked by Ferguson after winning his fitness fight.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Talksport:

Manchester United are tracking the progress of Benfica's former Chelsea midfielder Nemanja Matic.

The 24-year-old Serbian shares the same first name and nationality as current Old Trafford favourite Nemanja Vidic and that could be a crucial element to a possible deal.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Cant imagine Vidic sitting there reviewing his performance on a youtube style compilation :lol:

Chabon

Was anyone else really rather scared that he'd never be the same player again? Thank Christ that's not proven to be the case.

Platato

Psst!
I was. His injury was pretty bad. Just shows what a classy defender he is as well as a good athlete. It's not easy from a psychological standpoint to come back from such an injury and play like he has been.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Talksport:
That's how we picked van Persie, instead of Torres.

Vidic reminds me of those '90s Italian defenders. Hard no nonsense centerback. I think he's better than Cannavaro at least.

Brophs

The One and Only
If that's how things work then my German mate Adolf is about to become really annoying.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Was anyone else really rather scared that he'd never be the same player again? Thank Christ that's not proven to be the case.
Definitely. He certainly looked rusty upon his return, and then got injured again quite quickly. It was certainly a scare. Just how do you replace Nemanja?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Il Duce over at Sunderland likes this.

Shark

@NotShark
I really don't know how we're going to replace him, but for now I'm just going to enjoy having him here. He's an exceptionally important player in our squad and on song, has no equal in his position.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That's what Hitler was lacking, to be fair: a good P.R. man. He and Max Clifford could have ruled the world.
Some already have him as 'a great leader'. Just imagine what a good brochure would do. A charismatic evil genius with the foresight of a chess master, with small penis complex issue?

Danillaco

That's how we picked van Persie, instead of Torres.

Vidic reminds me of those '90s Italian defenders. Hard no nonsense centerback. I think he's better than Cannavaro at least.
He's like Maldini, Stam and Jesus combined.

vuc

First Team Serb
I really don't know how we're going to replace him, but for now I'm just going to enjoy having him here. He's an exceptionally important player in our squad and on song, has no equal in his position.
That's the only way to deal with it. Enjoy him whilst he's at the club - just like any great player.

It always got to me when people would say 'Vidic can be replaced easy' and 'those sort of players are common'. So not true. It will be a long time before a player like Vidic is around again. That will to win and determination is something not easily found in modern football. At his best an animal, a one man defence. Not easily replaced.

Backrow Singer

Absolute legend - you won't find to many better than Vidic even now.

No matter what level you play at, you need players who are prepared to put their bodies on the line for the cause, players who are prepared to go that extra mile, and Nemanja Vidic does that. He sweats blood for the club every time he pulls on a pair of boots, and as a role model (alongside Giggs and Scholes) there is no-one better for the younger players at the club to be looking up to. He leads by example in every game he plays, and as a fan, you can't ask for any more than that. He is quite simply inspirational, and as the poster above points out - we need to enjoy him while we can.

Cevno

Whenever he is missing, we just start to look more likely to concede.

Jones did well and all today, but reckon we missed him today as a CB and a leader.

Clean sheet run gone too. :(

wr8_utd

:'(
We need him back for atleast 2 of the 3 games next week. We look hopeless at the back without Vidic in the team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I always find it laughable when people suggest stuff like Rio or Evans being better then him. He is by far our best defender, regardless of him being injured for so long. Not one other defender on our team knows how to organize our defensive line like he does.

I'm always right

Laugh at this then, Rio is better than Vidic.

Vidic still isn't the same player since his return from injury fwiw. In the last game he played vs. Sunderland he was getting praised left, right and centre from some posters, yet I remember a few poor moments in the game, once in particular where Danny fecking Graham gave him a bit of a raping to get a very dangerous cross in.

bosnian_red

Laugh at this then, Rio is better than Vidic.

Vidic still isn't the same player since his return from injury fwiw. In the last game he played vs. Sunderland he was getting praised left, right and centre from some posters, yet I remember a few poor moments in the game, once in particular where Danny fecking Graham gave him a bit of a raping to get a very dangerous cross in.
Okay, then explain to me why our defence "magically" got a hundred times better ever since Vidic came back? Evans and Rio, although they were getting praise from a lot of people on here, aren't really that great of a pairing in the league, and it was one of the reasons we were conceding goal after goal. How come with Vidic coming back we went on a run of 6 clean sheets in a row? Did our defenders suddenly remember how to play, or is it because Vidic is by far our best defender? Definitely the latter for me. Rio's a good defender, don't get me wrong, but Vidic is much better then him and has been for the last 5 years. We look leaderless without him as well.

I'm always right

Okay, then explain to me why our defence "magically" got a hundred times better ever since Vidic came back? Evans and Rio, although they were getting praise from a lot of people on here, aren't really that great of a pairing in the league, and it was one of the reasons we were conceding goal after goal. How come with Vidic coming back we went on a run of 6 clean sheets in a row? Did our defenders suddenly remember how to play, or is it because Vidic is by far our best defender? Definitely the latter for me. Rio's a good defender, don't get me wrong, but Vidic is much better then him and has been for the last 5 years. We look leaderless without him as well.
Or is it because we had an easy run of games?

I don't think we look "leaderless" without Vidic, Rio has always been a better leader for me.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
I wouldn't have played Vidic tonight anyway. It wasn't required against Tevez and Aguero up front. He struggles with movement and them 2 are renowned for that. He'd have done nothing more to prevent either goal. In fact he'd have probably dived in and gave a pen away on the Aguero one. Evans is the one we miss when he's not there and he and Rio look by far our best CB partnership these days.

Platato

Psst!
Honestly dont think we would have conceded with vidic in the team today. Our defense was okay today but I think what he does for the team is seen and unseen if that makes sense.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
There's no doubt MUFC aren't the same side without Vidic. That dependency on him already sprung to the limelight in the wake of his injury v Basel last season and still holds true today.

He's a beast of a player because he combines the tenacity and aggressiveness of no-nonsense centre-backs with the positional awareness and composure of more intelligent defenders.

Splendid player Serbia greatly misses and MUFC will greatly miss.

I'm always right

Honestly dont think we would have conceded with vidic in the team today. Our defense was okay today but I think what he does for the team is seen and unseen if that makes sense.
He would've prevented Giggs from making that stupid back-heel? Nothing our defenders could do there.

I agree that we wouldn't have conceded the 2nd with him on the pitch, no chance, same goes for if Evans was on the pitch too. Was just poor defending from Jones, Vidic and Evans wouldn't have sold themselves and ended up so flat-footed as Jones did.

bosnian_red

Yup, his communication and organization with the rest of our defence is so underrated. I used to think it was Rio who did the organizing, but it's obvious that its Vidic given how our team plays compared to when Vidic isn't there. Last season, and the first half of this season our defence was at 6's and 7's every game, conceding loads of goals. Since the new year, regardless of the fixtures we've had, we've looked much better defensively on the whole. We don't get stretched as often and don't allow the opposition to have as many chances. Obviously he isn't perfect, but Vidic for me is still one of the best defenders in the world.

Also that's all coming from a Bosnian talking about a Serbian player :p

vuc

First Team Serb
I wouldn't have played Vidic tonight anyway. It wasn't required against Tevez and Aguero up front. He struggles with movement and them 2 are renowned for that. He'd have done nothing more to prevent either goal. In fact he'd have probably dived in and gave a pen away on the Aguero one. Evans is the one we miss when he's not there and he and Rio look by far our best CB partnership these days.
Probably not a lot any defender would have done against that Aguero shot, but I think Vidic would have been closer to stopping it than Jones.

As for the 'probably would dive in'. How many penalties has Vidic given away? I can't think of one for United. Could be wrong, but can't think of one. He's not a reckless defender. Committed, but not reckless. Take a look at this clip below and see how he dealt with the balls in the box.

https://vimeo.com/20225769

Saying Evans is the player you miss instead of Vidic is pretty laughable too give that 1) Vidic is the captain & leader of the defence and 2) he is the superior player.

Platato

Psst!
IAR, but it has to be said he's been a major factor in improving our defense. He is one of the key players in this team and despite how good Rio and Evans play together,there is nothing like having Vidic in the team. He has a magnet implanted in his brain that attracts the ball to his head anytime it enters the box.

One of the main reasons we have not conceded for some time before playing City. No-nonsense. True leader and captain who imposes his influence on our backline. You could say he tries to overcompensate for de Gea's weaknesses as a criticism however. Nonetheless, it's clear to me, he gives the team a lot more confidence from a defensive standpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.