Vidic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I doubt the current coach watches the Serbian league, never mind Poland.

Not that he'd have much to see in the former, mind.

The media reaction in Serbia has been hilarious. The match commentator in particular, has to be on suicide watch for the next couple of days. You'd think Brazil finished last in their qualifying group, or Barcelona got relegated or something.

But yeah, Vidic is fit, and we won't be seeing any Tosic clips an threads bumped, so those are the positives.
He doesn't have to watch it. International teams play enough friendlies to give a run to less known players, especially ones who are making an impact in Europe. Radovic has done well in Europa League this year too, and got a call up to Montenegro but rejected it as he considers himself a Serbian. He is eligible for a Polish NT too but he will never even consider it either.

Moonwalker

He doesn't have to watch it. International teams play enough friendlies to give a run to less known players, especially ones who are making an impact in Europe. Radovic has done well in Europa League this year too, and got a call up to Montenegro but rejected it as he considers himself a Serbian. He is eligible for a Polish NT too but he will never even consider it either.
There will be a myriad of players, on the waiting list for those games. From washed up ex stars to promising youngsters, and let's not forget personal favorites. Unless he's familiar with the player(Radovic played for Partizan but never impressed) he won't get a look in. No disrespect to Poland, but he'd have to impress in a better league( for someone like Petkovic to call him up that is).

Commadus

Vidic has done this to prolong his club career. I hope Rio follows suit.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
We need the best defender in the world back ASAP.

Missed almost the entire season so far and we have given up the most shots in the PL. This is NOT a coincident.

His distribution at the back in criminally underrated.

So did I hear he was fit but Fergie left him out?

Varun

Staff
Probably would have done the same thing as Evans today I reckon.
what? you serious? that was one of the most brain dead acts i've seen on a football pitch. he had 50 other options which would have resulted in a corner max but he somehow decided that the best way to defend was to slow down and allow balotelli to get ahead of him and then pull him back. it was insanely stupid. not even balotelli would have defended like that had he been playing CB.

Rahul

Vidic ends Serbia career

Nemanja Vidic has announced his retirement from international football.

The United captain earned 56 caps for his country and scored two goals.

"After a great deal of thought and with a heavy heart, I have decided the time is right for me to retire from international football," Vidic told ManUtd.com.

"I feel, after 10 years of playing for my country, it is the right time for me to stand aside and allow the younger players to come through.

"I would like to thank all the managers, coaches and players I have played alongside.

"I have always been very proud to play for Serbia and would like to wish them well in future tournaments."
Great news for us. Hopefully this will further prolong his United career. We could do with him on the field at this moment of time as well.

Nemanja Vidic retires from international football - Official Manchester United Website

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I just hope this decisions hasn't been made because his head is wrecked after his missed pen and Serbia's woeful qualification campaign. He was absolutely dire in the CL game and was obviously dropped at the weekend as a result. His head's obviously not in the right place at the moment. We need him back to his best and soon.

Stretch

God how we need the Serbian Chuck Norris back! He needs game time fast. Great news for us regarding his retirement though.

Moonwalker

I thought he already announced his international retirement some time ago?
Nope. He had a post game interview in which he made an ironic remark, in response to a rather stupid question by a journalist. Asked if he will retire from the national team, he first shook his head in amazement and refused to answer the question. Upon being asked the 2nd time, he got irritated and said: "well if you want me to, then fine, I retire". Not what you'd call an official retirement.

This letter leaves little room for free interpretation though. He's had time to think about it, it's still adios. Good news for United.

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
What harm did it do for Giggs to miss out?
Exactly. And it's not like it's in any way beneficial for the likes of Jones and Smalling to go through what England always do at major tournaments. After a long season, with no winter break, it's the last thing we want our players being involved in. They'll get more than enough experience playing at the top level for Manchester United.

zain

Believe
Sorry for wanting to see our players perform at major tournaments testing themselves on the big stage against the best players in the world. fecking hell, they're 19 and 21 and exceptionally fit and healthy young lads and people already want them retiring for England. Madness!
Sorry for not giving a crap about national teams when I have no interest in international football..

I want what's best for Manchester United Football Club.

If that means our players retiring or not getting a chance for their national team or performing in international tournaments, then so be it.

Yes, I want our players to have summers off so they're fresh for United. Yes, I want our players NOT to be going on international duty and risking getting injured for things I don't care about. Yes, I want our players NOT spending ridiculous hours travelling half way around the world and facing jet lag or issues to make it back in time for our game fit and ready to go.

Giggs, Cantona, Scholes...I'm glad their international careers panned out as they did... as it benefited United.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Sorry for not giving a crap about national teams when I have no interest in international football..

I want what's best for Manchester United Football Club.

If that means our players retiring or not getting a chance for their national team or performing in international tournaments, then so be it.

Yes, I want our players to have summers off so they're fresh for United. Yes, I want our players NOT to be going on international duty and risking getting injured for things I don't care about. Yes, I want our players NOT spending ridiculous hours travelling half way around the world and facing jet lag or issues to make it back in time for our game fit and ready to go.

Giggs, Cantona, Scholes...I'm glad their international careers panned out as they did... as it benefited United.
I want whats best for MUFC also, and can see the benefits in a 30 something like Park or Berbatov retiring from internationals. However, Smalling and Jones are a different story. Both are young inexperienced players and the international experience they receive with England will be invaluable. One of them could captain England for the next decade!

Stretch

Im with Cutch here. I think it's over the top to ask our young'uns to give up International football. I can understand Rio, Evra, Carrick et al but not the young ones. There's a lot to learn and gain from international football for them.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The likes of Jones and Smalling came to United in part to benefit their international career. If we started adopting a policy of asking our players to retire which is completely ludicrous by the way we wouldn't see many players sticking around that's for sure.

Tibs

I want whats best for MUFC also, and can see the benefits in a 30 something like Park or Berbatov retiring from internationals. However, Smalling and Jones are a different story. Both are young inexperienced players and the international experience they receive with England will be invaluable. One of them could captain England for the next decade!
My honest opinion of that is I couldn't care less.

United > England

Hopefully Rio will follow Vidic' example very soon

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Im with Cutch here. I think it's over the top to ask our young'uns to give up International football. I can understand Rio, Evra, Carrick et al but not the young ones. There's a lot to learn and gain from international football for them.
regular European football is a better learning experience for them imho

Yes, they probably want to represent their country when they are young, but would i be sad if all our players 'retired' from international football tomorrow? Hell no

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The likes of Jones and Smalling came to United in part to benefit their international career. If we started adopting a policy of asking our players to retire which is completely ludicrous by the way we wouldn't see many players sticking around that's for sure.
no-one is seriously saying that United should adopt such a policy! We're simply saying that we wouldn't be saddened if the youngsters followed suit

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
no-one is seriously saying that United should adopt such a policy! We're simply saying that we wouldn't be saddened if the youngsters followed suit
That's fair enough although not sure that is completely the case reading posts above. I do think young players can gain a lot from playing international football.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Not enough is being said about how feckin good he has been since returning.

I know Villa were gash but he made all their big men his bitches. It's not easy winning every feckin header against Bent and Heskey but Vidic did.

He is the best defender in the world and better with the ball than he gets credit for.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
That Zonal Marking dude said he is "near the end" on Twitter. It's no fecking wind-up either, the eejit is entirely serious!

Says his lack of pace and mobility has become bigger weaknesses.

vuc

First Team Serb
Not enough is being said about how feckin good he has been since returning.

I know Villa were gash but he made all their big men his bitches. It's not easy winning every feckin header against Bent and Heskey but Vidic did.

He is the best defender in the world and better with the ball than he gets credit for.
Not even the headers, he never gave Bent a sniff. In first with interceptions every time. What made me laugh was how even on Rio's side of the pitch he was racing over there just to header it out. That's how he twatted Bent I believe.

How many goals have been leaked since he has been back?

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Not even the headers, he never gave Bent a sniff. In first with interceptions every time. What made me laugh was how even on Rio's side of the pitch he was racing over there just to header it out. That's how he twatted Bent I believe.

How many goals have been leaked since he has been back?
1 in the league since his return.

2 in the league, including the opening match against WBA.

With Vidic/Rio at the back, and Carrick in front of them, we look like a cohesive defensive unit again. Now we only need to gind our attacking self again, and we'll look a bloody good team again. (But probably not good enough to halt the City juggernaut this time around.)

vuc

First Team Serb
1 in the league since his return.

2 in the league, including the opening match against WBA.

With Vidic/Rio at the back, and Carrick in front of them, we look like a cohesive defensive unit again. Now we only need to gind our attacking self again, and we'll look a bloody good team again. (But probably not good enough to halt the City juggernaut this time around.)
That's scary good.

Best in the world for sure.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Lindegaard: "Our defence was world class against Aston Villa. Vidic and Ferdinand showed they are truly world-class players.

"The quality we have been showing in defence since the Manchester City game has been scary.

"The competition for those two spots is amazing. There are four or five players that could play in those positions.

"We have a couple of world-class defenders in Rio and Nemanja but Phil Jones and Chris Smalling are ready to fill their positions."

Status
Not open for further replies.