Vidic

Status
Not open for further replies.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
Love this guy, absolutely love having him here.

I kept saying this, even though a lot of people weren't inclined to agree with me.
He's still the best defender/CB in the world, and as fantastic as Rio is for me Vidič > Rio, not that I'm not esthatic about having them both.

And although I haven't watched as much football, or watched it for as long as some of you on here, I have to say I haven't watched anyone with the kind of fire and continued excellency in defense as Vidič, that man is just an absolute monster.
Wins every header, keeps the back 4 in check, throws himself on every ball and it doesn't matter if he gets injured or not, he'll just get back up and do it again, won't back down from anyone as well, and it's just a calming presence seeing him in the starting XI, I instantly feel much safer at the back with him in the team.

vuc

First Team Serb
I've said it for years. Vidic is a one of a kind. Not because of his skill set but his determination or 'Fire' as you put it. He has that belief and will to win that not many have. He puts just as much determination in a nothing match that he does in an important one. The man just does not want to lose anything ever.

One of the most consistent defenders of his generation, and definitely the best I have ever seen in the air.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What the general opinion of him in Serbia after he quit the national team? Let down? Understanding? It's got to suck having such a good player who does not want to play.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
What the general opinion of him in Serbia after he quit the national team? Let down? Understanding? It's got to suck having such a good player who does not want to play.
The Republik of Mancunia is a more important country than Serbia. They will be cool.

vuc

First Team Serb
It's a mixed bag. Some people think he is a quitter, others recognise that the FA is so corrupt that you can't really blame him.

I'm in the mixed camp also. When he retired I thought he was a traitor, especially in the manner of how he retired. Missing a penalty against Slovenia in a key game for the Euro 2012 Qualification, and instead of returning as the captain of the NT (Stankovic was previously but he announced his retirement) and taking Serbia to the WC he just retired. So it didn't sit well.

Despite all of this, the way our NT football has plummeted in the WC 2014 qualification cycle, I find myself thinking there's no wonder he left. He is an extreme professional, and works as a professional every single day at United, and then he has to get into the corrupt NT environment that is present in Serbia.

And yeah, it sucks having a great player like that not being able to play for your NT. Vidic - Nastasic would be a seriously impressive combination.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"I'm definitely proud to play for this club with these players and to play for the manager as well," Nemanja Vidic told MUTV. "I've had a great seven years with the club where we’ve had so much success and we did so again this year so I’m very pleased."

"You saw the players at the parade jumping and singing the songs and we had a good time sharing the title with the fans - they deserve it as they support us all year."
http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/engla...fter-winning?source=breakingnews&ICID=HP_BN_9

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Well it is Goal.com, Mr Relly. :D

Shark

@NotShark
Excellent news.

I'm hoping that he can at least get very close to his best again now that we'll be able to play him more consistently next season.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
If he doesn't sign a new contract he'll go. This is just the agent doing his job, theres no need for him to suggest interest from elsewhere or that vidic is unsettled in order to try and get a new contract or to engineer a move, as the fact that his contract is running down will bring it to a head anyway and vidic is holding all the cards.

ricky-romeo

how many years left in his contract? he is going to be 32 in a few months time so his last big pay rise is the contract he is currently in. he cannot expect much in terms of wage increase now. and even players like giggs and scholes signs on a one year extension deals once they reached 30++

anyway i want him to stay. his game has never been about his pace. put injuries aside he can play well into his mid 30s.

SirFergie

Can't see us getting rid of Evra and Vidic in the same summer; it'll be a mistake to let Evra go at all IMO but that's a different story.

thoward

It's not a lisp!
how many years left in his contract? he is going to be 32 in a few months time so his last big pay rise is the contract he is currently in. he cannot expect much in terms of wage increase now. and even players like giggs and scholes signs on a one year extension deals once they reached 30++

anyway i want him to stay. his game has never been about his pace. put injuries aside he can play well into his mid 30s.
One year left. It would be nice to see him sign a two year extension on that, at least one.

ricky-romeo

yup. the quicker the better, just to be done with the extensions if we want him to stay. with giggs and scholes you know you can wait even until april before you open up negotiations for a new contract, because they never look elsewhere.

Brightonian

After coming back from his injury this season, I think he's been as good as ever for us. And I mean that literally, not as a figure of speech.

Top defenders don't tend to lose form until 33ish, so I'd say we still have two more seasons of arguably the best CB in the world. And without a doubt the best defensive header of the ball in the world.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
After coming back from his injury this season, I think he's been as good as ever for us. And I mean that literally, not as a figure of speech.

Top defenders don't tend to lose form until 33ish, so I'd say we still have two more seasons of arguably the best CB in the world. And without a doubt the best defensive header of the ball in the world.
JT in his prime was an amazing header of the ball but Vidic is on top at the moment.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Not sure why the first thing Moyes did upon becoming United manager was to make Rio sign an extension while Vidic, two years younger, still awaits his

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Vidic is just a fecking monster. I remember the WBA game this season (home game obviously) where anything into the box by WBA was met by Vidic

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Not sure why the first thing Moyes did upon becoming United manager was to make Rio sign an extension while Vidic, two years younger, still awaits his
3 possible reasons.

1) Rio was there
2) Vidic wasn't there
3) Perhaps he's carrying on the only one year contracts over a certain ago thing?

He still is, but don't think he's ever been better than Vidic. Both of them are aggressive but Vidic got a better leap.

Just another level to other Defenders when it comes to the aerial game.
I'll give you Vidic's leap, but JT's positioning for crosses was second to none. He owned that area around the penalty spot and that's why he was so good. Young defenders could learn a ton from the two of them.

vuc

First Team Serb
It still is but so is Vidic's which is why putting it all together I would still go with Vidic. Overall more dominant. Indeed lots can be learnt, even now Luiz and Ivanovic can still learn from Terry.

Speaking of learning, Gary Neville said years ago in an interview that the team raised its game with Vidic in the defence, because of his will to win. That's something all players can learn from, not just defenders - and that's probably why he is captain today.

Status
Not open for further replies.