Vidic

Status
Not open for further replies.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The Eto'o moment was in 2009 and came at the end of the season where he was unanimously thought of as our best player. No-one thought he was in decline because of it. People just thought me might not recover from an injury that has severely harmed the careers of some of greatest players the game has seen.

As for the suggestion you can count his big mistakes on one hand...that's absurd. He made one of the worst attempts at a "block" this year v Reading (?) which should have given away a penalty in a game which we never looked like scoring another in. Those two red cards v Liverpool were pretty ridiculous, and there were at least two huge gaffes in his only World Cup. Crucial part of one of the best back fives the English game has seen but that World Cup will always be held against him by neutrals when people talk about him as being right up there with the best defenders of his generation. He'll just never be considered that highly by those outside United and Serbia.
Their loss. I can't name 3 central defenders better than him in this "generation" (Rio, Nesta,....)

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I reckon Vidic intimidated his way into the Royal Box, he was on court one watching Djokovic and next thing you know he's cracking jokes with SAF.

LR7

Slightly concerning that he's not at Carrington, especially given that these Garay rumours are rife.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
:lol:

WTF is with those photos? They all look Shopped.
I think the photos were taken off a TV screen, which is why they look strangely warped.

Great to see Vidic having a laugh with the great man, its nice to see they clearly have more than just a professional relationship. Another reason why we manage to keep morale so great.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
It's good that Vidic stayed clear of Carrington today. We wouldnt want Zaha to leave his first training with both his legs broken.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
The Eto'o moment was in 2009 and came at the end of the season where he was unanimously thought of as our best player. No-one thought he was in decline because of it. People just thought me might not recover from an injury that has severely harmed the careers of some of greatest players the game has seen.

As for the suggestion you can count his big mistakes on one hand...that's absurd. He made one of the worst attempts at a "block" this year v Reading (?) which should have given away a penalty in a game which we never looked like scoring another in. Those two red cards v Liverpool were pretty ridiculous, and there were at least two huge gaffes in his only World Cup. Crucial part of one of the best back fives the English game has seen but that World Cup will always be held against him by neutrals when people talk about him as being right up there with the best defenders of his generation. He'll just never be considered that highly by those outside United and Serbia.
I don't think I mentioned that Vidic hardly makes mistakes. I was saying that over the last few years some on here were suggesting that he was on the decline and would not return to his best after his latest injury. Like I said, those people were wrong as he is back to his best and still has 4 years of top level stuff left if you ask me.

Who feckin cares about Serbia at the World Cup. Sure he made some blunders but the Serbian teams have been in shambles for a while. For those outside of United fans and Serbians who don't rate Vidic highly know very little about football.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
And all I'm saying is the only people that were saying he's on decline are the people who thought he wouldn't make a full recovery from a very serious injury. Him making a mistake in a CL final really has nothing to do with it. It just seems like some strange way of saying Vidic came back and proved them all wrong when the reality is their was only concern for his fitness, not criticism for his form.

He'll be rated highly in the same way Terry is rated highly.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He isn't going anywhere. All we can hope for is some prolonged fitness because he proved last season he is by far the best defender we have and with more games you have to see he'd be the standout player in the league, bordering the continent, the world, the universe...

His desire to win the challenge, whether its on the ground or in the air makes you appreciate him so much, he'll hurt himself, his teammates (unintentionally) or his opponent to keep the ball out of our net and that kind of desire is been strained out of the modern game.

People worried about Evra leaving may be worried Vidic would be in a similar place, but I think Evra less longevity at the highest level as he has relied on his athleticism to be as good as he's been. Vidic doesn't need blistering pace or jaguar like agility to be great, and he's definitely one you'd say is going nowhere during this transaction from Ferguson to Moyes.

Look forward to hearing from him tomorrow.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
He is the best penalty box CB in the world. I don't remember any defender being more dominant in the air ever really?. Certainly of my generation anyway he has been majestic.

Sure those Torres, Eto'o moments are not his best, but they were world class strikers at the time - Vidic is not the first to be beaten by them.

I don't even see how it's possible; he must surely be one of the best of all time in this respect. It's not just the general dominance but the manner and consistency of it. He wins headers some times that he genuinely should have no chance in hell of getting, and he goes through games sometimes just clearing cross after cross in succession.

I can't remember which game it was last season but I remember laughing at the fact that the commentator said something like "and Vidic heads it away" 4 times in the space of about a minute. The ball kept getting lobbed into the box only to be met repeatedly by Vidic's head.

ricky-romeo

vidic is a monster inside his own penalty box.

as much as a world class CB rio is, when vidic is alongside him, rio suddenly is a better player as well.

Adam-Utd

vidic is a monster inside his own penalty box.

as much as a world class CB rio is, when vidic is alongside him, rio suddenly is a better player as well.
I think its because Rio trusts him, he knows he does not have to worry about Vidic doing his job, so he can fully concentrate on his own job without second guessing what Vidic will do.

If you are playing with somebody inferior and are constantly worrying about what they are doing, you are never going to be fully concentrated.

Not saying the rest of our defense are rubbish, but perhaps the bond they have is just that bit stronger.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I think its because Rio trusts him, he knows he does not have to worry about Vidic doing his job, so he can fully concentrate on his own job without second guessing what Vidic will do.

If you are playing with somebody inferior and are constantly worrying about what they are doing, you are never going to be fully concentrated.

Not saying the rest of our defense are rubbish, but perhaps the bond they have is just that bit stronger.
yup, it's much easier to relax and play your game when you know you've one of the best defenders in the world playing with you. It's like how our defence played so much better with De Gea when they started to trust him more as compared to the start of his career wit us.

Adam-Utd

yup, it's much easier to relax and play your game when you know you've one of the best defenders in the world playing with you. It's like how our defence played so much better with De Gea when they started to trust him more as compared to the start of his career wit us.
Yeah exactly, at first when DDG was a bit wobbly, the whole defence were second guessing. Now that they are used to him and he has settled in, we are much more solid as a whole.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Regarding Rio and Vidic, I think Rio upped his game when Vidic came here, but it was actually next to Brown that he started looking like a world class defender again in my opinion. He was immense during the second half of 05/06 and that form carried into the following seasons also. He has no doubt benefited from Vidic but he made the step up in form again before he was paired with him, in my opinion.

Not to take anything from Vidic in terms of his role in that partnership obviously.

LR7

I'm relieved he's doing the presser with Moyes tomorrow. His importance to us is often understated.

misterredmist

I was disappointed the Centre Court crowd never gave a chorus of " Nemanja, wo-oh-oh-ohh........"

I bet the Duke of Kent was bricking himself with Vida behind him ....

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I was disappointed the Centre Court crowd never gave a chorus of " Nemanja, wo-oh-oh-ohh........"

I bet the Duke of Kent was bricking himself with Vida behind him ....
The thought of Wimbledon fans chanting "He comes from Serbia, He'll fecking murder ya" fills me with joy, someone needs to make this happen one day :lol:

Shimo

He needs to get back to Wimbeldon ... Djokovic had said that Vida is his good luck charm and was hoping he'd be there if he got to the final, well he needs him now !

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
:lol: fecking that presser. He looked like such a champion. "gaf said... this boss david moyes.. he great... great for everyone.. great for united.."

fecking legend.

Eugenius

Regarding Rio and Vidic, I think Rio upped his game when Vidic came here, but it was actually next to Brown that he started looking like a world class defender again in my opinion. He was immense during the second half of 05/06 and that form carried into the following seasons also. He has no doubt benefited from Vidic but he made the step up in form again before he was paired with him, in my opinion.

Not to take anything from Vidic in terms of his role in that partnership obviously.

Yup I remember Silvestre being hauled off against West Ham for Brown very early on and Rio not looking back in terms of his performance levels.

I must say I was one of those who doubted whether Vidic would come back to his best. He's not yet back to his peak but he's still invaluable to the team. I love the photos of him just towering above two attackers and DDG just heading away crosses into the box.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I think Rio is a unique defender in the modern game and that his 'reading' of the game and general marking of play is at a phenomenal level. One of the best games i've ever seen him play was against Barca in the second leg (scholes goal). He's always been that player that is in the right place at the right time due to his reading of play. When Vidic bedded in beside him Vida always played the attacking role as a CB. Close and dominate with Rio sitting off waiting for the crucial interception.

Brown and Silvestre were just shite as feck defenders in general. That period with Carroll in goal, Brown, Silvestre and a young O'Shea.. feck that was a sundering low point in our defence in the last 20 years.

wonnie

I think Rio is a unique defender in the modern game and that his 'reading' of the game and general marking of play is at a phenomenal level. One of the best games i've ever seen him play was against Barca in the second leg (scholes goal). He's always been that player that is in the right place at the right time due to his reading of play. When Vidic bedded in beside him Vida always played the attacking role as a CB. Close and dominate with Rio sitting off waiting for the crucial interception.

Brown and Silvestre were just shite as feck defenders in general. That period with Carroll in goal, Brown, Silvestre and a young O'Shea.. feck that was a sundering low point in our defence in the last 20 years.
Re: Brown and Silvestre they were actually quite good when in form. Problem was their lack of consistency and both were very prone to making mistakes. Brown OG was quite common early on and Silvestre also known for bad decision making. But when they were on form, they were really good. I remember Brown once had a game against Shearer and dominated him for the entire 90mins.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Brown was a headless chicken defender. Running about not knowing what the feck he was doing. Silvestre was a bonehead. Couldn't mark to save his life. Still trying to find the time Brown went into the advertising boards upside down on his arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.