Villa (a), Newcastle (h) and Tottenham (h)

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Its also worth remembering you got exactly the same return from those fixtures last season.

Ironically should we beat WBA today we both will have the same return from the same fixtures, which is weird given the contrasting emotions about both our starts.

Getsme

Crystal Palace, Swansea, Liester City (on current form) are all going to be difficult away games for any team. Arsenal's result the other day was something I reckon not all the top 4 will achieve.
I think Leicester are the top inform team across all of Europe’s top leagues since they went on the winning spree at the end of last season.

Smores

You know we've lowered our standards when a 0-0 score to a shite Newcastle at Old Trafford is being discussed as a positive improvement :lol:

I think Krul was only really challenged once/twice at a push. For the first 20 minutes they were suicidal with how open they were then they decided to sit back and let us huff and puff as much as we wanted. We were less the Wolf at the door and more like a fat kid with asthma

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Agree with the OP. A good return from the 3 games and a steady improvement in performance. More than once LVG has referenced our bad start last year and I think it's pretty clear that he's sought to avoid the same this time around and be on the back foot from the off. We've now got a September and October that look really tricky - Swansea, So'oton, Arsenal, Everton all away with the scousers and City at home. I'll be very satisfied if after the game the game against the Berties at the end of October we are within 5 or 6 points of the top. Every other game up to Christmas looks very winnable.

buckooo1978

its all about balance - defensively grand and we didn't give up much the last 4 games

the balance of our attack hasn't been right for me....we can stretch teams on the left with the pace and skill of Memphis but he was poor yesterday for the most part

on the right and despite some nice passing Mata doesn't offer enough penetration - he is a luxury player who needs to play at 10 to get the best out of him

as for Rooney who Van Gaal has made our main striker I think only once this calendar year has he managed more than one shot on target in a game (this was broadcast in Football Weekly if i remember correctly) - I know there were games where we played as a CM but he's played the vast majority as our main striker with little productivity

the balance simply isn't right and the solution for me would be

1) buy a number 9...Ibra would be a good short term solution - haven't seen enough of Lacazette
2) play either Rooney or Mata at 10 - that is where both players are most effective
3) ideally you bring in a wide attacking player - Pedro would have been perfect and I'd break banks for players like Reus or Griezeman but they aren't likely to be interested in selling....hear a few things about Draxler but he's a deeper player I think
4) if you can't do 3 then use Young/Periera/Januzaj and even Valencia there

from a statistical point of view we look like we are improving with more shots on goal - how many were routine shots from distance that didn't trouble Krul and I thought we looked toothless....

with a net spend of 8 million we should just feck it and bring in a young world class talent....pay the money Glazers

rotherham_red

Our results at the beginning of 07/08 we're interesting

Reading (H) 0-0
Portsmouth (A) 1-1
City (A) 0-1
Spurs (H) 1-0
Sunderland (H) 1-0
Everton (A) 1-0

Tepid up top but solid at the back. We all know what happened that season.

I'm not in any way saying we will have a repeat, but people need to calm down. Creating chances in our first two games was the issue. The past two we have created plenty but struggled to convert. I refuse to believe Rooney will play as bad as he has been for the rest of the season and clearly LVG thinks the same.
I said much the same to @Alock1 in his podcast post. People remember that season as if we were stellar all the way through. We weren't, and this season's PL performances thus far are very reminiscent of 07/08. In fact, in 08/09 we lost to Burnley at home as well in the second game of the season. The last time we won the league we lost to Everton in the first game of the season also. Early season results don't matter as much. As long as we're building towards something, then we should be in a good place to challenge.

Plus, you never know this weekend might be one of those weekends where all the pace-setting teams drop points on each other. It certainly looked that way yesterday.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Our results at the beginning of 07/08 we're interesting

Reading (H) 0-0
Portsmouth (A) 1-1
City (A) 0-1
Spurs (H) 1-0
Sunderland (H) 1-0
Everton (A) 1-0

Tepid up top but solid at the back. We all know what happened that season.

I'm not in any way saying we will have a repeat, but people need to calm down. Creating chances in our first two games was the issue. The past two we have created plenty but struggled to convert. I refuse to believe Rooney will play as bad as he has been for the rest of the season and clearly LVG thinks the same.
There were some clear reasons for that start though. We had new attacking players in Nani and Tevez settling in while our best attacking player Ronaldo was out injured at the start and even Saha who played his part in 06/07 season was not part of the plans anymore due to his fitness.

Currently none of our attacking players are out injured (unless you count Fellaini as integral to our system this season) and only one new addition has been added.

mufcwarm92

Spurs - 1 OG ; Villa 1 goal (courtesy of a deflection) ; Newcastle - 0 goals.

Explain to me how that equates to "got better".
What a ridiculously simplistic way of watching football. We created twice the amount of chances yesterday as we did in the other games put together.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Its also worth remembering you got exactly the same return from those fixtures last season.

Ironically should we beat WBA today we both will have the same return from the same fixtures, which is weird given the contrasting emotions about both our starts.
It's also worse, considering the title was wrapped up when you played West Brom, and you were destroyed by Man City. Points only tell some of the story. Obviously Chelsea will improve though, considering they can't really get any worse. WBA should be a comprehensive win, as they looked absolute useless in their other games.

Getsme

He knows that, he's just being negative. Anyone who is watching us knows that.
That's the thing, I'm starting to believe that a lot of posters on here don't watch the matches but base their opinions on results and the media.

Raw

Bit odd to compare what Fergie got out of those results. How many of those seasons did Ferguson face a Newcastle or Villa side that almost got relegated? Or conversely how many seasons did Ferguson face a Spurs side that wasn't consistently top 6?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Exactly, I really didn't see all the so called "chances created" that people are speaking of. After their naive 20 minutes they shut us out unbelievably easily which is worrying because defensively Newcastle would be one of the weakest we will face.
Huh? last season the highest average of saves per game was Fabianski with 3.41, in the 5 best leagues. 3 is a lot.
And one of his players, Anita I think, cleared the line.

Last edited:

mufcwarm92

How many saves did their keeper have to make over the 90 minutes?
More than Vorm and Guzan did. I just think it's ridiculous to deny our attacking fluency has improved on the basis of us not scoring. Yesterday was frustrating but it was just one of those days where our final ball and finishing wasn't quite there. We had enough chances to win the game comfortably and the performance was significantly better than our first two games.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Exactly, I really didn't see all the so called "chances created" that people are speaking of. After their naive 20 minutes they shut us out unbelievably easily which is worrying because defensively Newcastle would be one of the weakest we will face.
This. I remember two to three chances created, yesterday. Hernandez, Mata (near post) and the Smalling header (if you want).

All it took was Steve McClaren to walk onto the technical area to shut us out from the 20th to the 75 minute.

Getsme

Huh? last season the highest average of saves per game was Fabianski with 3.41, in the 5 best leagues. 3 is a lot.
We should be making the keeper make 15 saves per game and winning every game 7-0

lem8sh

More than Vorm and Guzan did. I just think it's ridiculous to deny our attacking fluency has improved on the basis of us not scoring. Yesterday was frustrating but it was just one of those days where our final ball and finishing wasn't quite there. We had enough chances to win the game comfortably and the performance was significantly better than our first two games.
We had one shot on target against Spurs and Guzan did not have a save to make. With regards to our final ball and finishing not being there, it hasn't been there with a long time and and reinforcements are clearly needed.

lem8sh

Krul had one decent/ very good save to make. In 90 minutes at home to Newcastle. In terms of chances, the Chica chance came from a lucky ricochet while Smallings header from a set piece. In terms of chances "created" we actually created very little.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Considering that in the first games we were being criticized for not having many shots but won.
On Saturday noticed a stat during the first half
Shots: United 7 on target 6
Newcastle 0 on target 0!
Together with the Bruges match we had close to 40 shots in 2 games
So far no opposition player has scored a goal against us in 4 games

So are we poor in defence are we poor in attack, are we poor in midfield?
Or are we 2nd in the table, improving and the players getting to know each other better

Or should Arsenal for example be extremely worried that although their attack is reputedly 10 times better than ours they could not score at home against West Ham whereas Bournemouth score 4 goals against them away

Getsme

Krul had one decent/ very good save to make. In 90 minutes at home to Newcastle.
We also had several other chances, we hit the post and had a good goal disallowed. But let's just forget about them shall we.

Getsme

Considering that in the first games we were being criticized for not having many shots but won.
On Saturday noticed a stat during the first half
Shots: United 7 on target 6
Newcastle 0 on target 0!
Together with the Bruges match we had close to 40 shots in 2 games
So far no opposition player has scored a goal against us in 4 games

So are we poor in defence are we poor in attack, are we poor in midfield?
Or are we 2nd in the table, improving and the players getting to know each other better

Or should Arsenal for example be extremely worried that although their attack is reputedly 10 times better than ours they could not score at home against West Ham whereas Bournemouth score 4 goals against them away
Yeah but.........shut the feck up :D

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Krul had one decent/ very good save to make. In 90 minutes at home to Newcastle. In terms of chances, the Chica chance came from a lucky ricochet while Smallings header from a set piece. In terms of chances "created" we actually created very little.
Fair enough, we are shit, we created a fair amount of opportunities but it was luck.

lem8sh

We also had several other chances, we hit the post and had a good goal disallowed. But let's just forget about them shall we.
The discussion is about chances "created". Smallings came from from a set piece, Rooneys goal was disallowed after 3 minutes, we created next to nothing for the rest of the game. Key word being created.

Getsme

The discussion is about chances "created". Smallings came from from a set piece, Rooneys goal was disallowed after 3 minutes, we created next to nothing for the rest of the game. Key word being created.
Oh, sorry, I didn't realise we couldn't count chances created after 3 minutes, or chances created by free kicks. Is there anything else we have to discount so it suits your argument, you know, so we don't make a fool of ourselves.

lem8sh

Fair enough, we are shit, we created a fair amount of opportunities but it was luck.
Not what I said also I see you don't mention of the chances you think we apparently did create which reinforces my point. Without attacking reinforcements we cannot win anything playing this way we just won't create enough.

Moby

Dick
Krul had one decent/ very good save to make.
Remember two myself. Mata's shot and the Hernandez chance. Then there were off the line clearances and a couple of last ditch blocks. Obviously we were not clinical but we carved them up enough times.

No use explaining to people who can't accept that a team can play well without scoring a goal or to those for whom winning is everything. I personally appreciate good football when I see it being played, regardless of the result. Maybe the fact that I've seen my team win trophies non stop for the last two decades has made me not be desperate for more. Could understand if say Arsenal or Liverpool fans get so anxious over not getting results, but it is hilarious to see our fans behave like this. Greed.

lem8sh

Oh, sorry, I didn't realise we couldn't count chances created after 3 minutes, or chances created by free kicks. Is there anything else we have to discount so it suits your argument, you know, so we don't make a fool of ourselves.
I didn't say you could discount the Rooney chance I said why didn't we create anything else over the course of the next 90 minutes if you include extra time. You can go again if you want.

Getsme

I didn't say you could discount the Rooney chance I said why didn't we create anything else over the course of the next 90 minutes if you include extra time. You can go again if you want.
Why mention it being after 3 minutes then?
We created plenty more over the next 90 minutes anyway, we should have been 3 or 4 up in the first 20 minutes and we had two great opportunities in the last 20. What game were you watching?

lem8sh

Remember two myself. Mata's shot and the Hernandez chance. Then there were off the line clearances and a couple of last ditch blocks. Obviously we were not clinical but we carved them up enough times.

No use explaining to people who can't accept that a team can play well without scoring a goal or to those for whom winning is everything. I personally appreciate good football when I see it being played, regardless of the result. Maybe the fact that I've seen my team win trophies non stop for the last two decades has made me not be desperate for more. Could understand if say Arsenal or Liverpool fans get so anxious over not getting results, but it is hilarious to see our fans behave like this. Greed.
Going by your comment about the last two decades of success you are probably around the same age as myself so like me you probably can't remember a United side as boring and monotonous to watch as the one we have now. That is/has been my gripe and I don't see it improving and you cannot win the Premier League with an attacking system as blunt as ours.

Spark

And they cut us open a few times.

The only thing that counts is goals. The rest goes for nothing if you don't score.
Obviously the only thing that counts is goals, but if you compare where we are now to where we were at the beginning of the last two seasons you'll see more shots, more shots on goal and, although it's not trendy, more possession.

Our attack against Newcastle was much better than against Tottenham or villa. Without a doubt there's room for improvement and its fecking irritating watching an out of form not-a-spring-chicken-anymore Wayne Rooney and back from the dead Hernandez, but we also came up against a keeper in Krul who made the most saves in a game since 2013 and a newcastle defence who played outstanding (Mbemba and Coloccini in particular).

I think the attack will get better, we have quite a few new players to gel together (and no they haven't played enough times together yet - it's been 2 months).

It's certainly not doom and gloom just yet.

lem8sh

Why mention it being after 3 minutes then?
We created plenty more over the next 90 minutes anyway, we should have been 3 or 4 up in the first 20 minutes and we had two great opportunities in the last 20. What game were you watching?
Two great opportunities agreed. One from a set piece and another from a lucky ricochet. If they went in and we won my issue with our attacking prowess would still be relevant to me. As I said already I was discussing what chances we actually created through decent attacking football of bar the Rooney disallowed goal I saw none. The result as I have said is not my issue yesterday it's the constant bluntness of our attacking system.

Moby

Dick
Going by your comment about the last two decades of success you are probably around the same age as myself so like me you probably can't remember a United side as boring and monotonous to watch as the one we have now. That is/has been my gripe and I don't see it improving and you cannot win the Premier League with an attacking system as blunt as ours.
I don't find this side boring in the first place, to even go further on that. Yesterday I was on the edge of my seat for most parts of the game.