Vincent Aboubakar

IRN-BRUno

If we're still looking to add someone else so he's basically coming in as 3rd choice CF then I'm okay with this. Might even make it easier to add Felix or whoever if clubs know we've made a signing and aren't as desperate.

But if it's a case of we can't get anyone else so this will have to do then yeah, pretty disappointing.

Devil81

What was we really expecting on loan really, the money involved for a loan of Felix was insane so he was ruled out and I don't think there is anyone else available really.

I don't know much about him but his goal record isn't that bad, he's scored regular in France, Turkey and Portugal so hopefully he offers something to the squad in his short time with us.

At the end of the day Martial can't play every match.

NoPace

I think our system will suit him on the ball but his lack of pressing will be annoying. Honestly if it's a 5 month loan and we're not getting a healthy Memphis, I think the other options aren't any better. This is a gamble on talent over form if we make it, but I think you're probably likely to get a better 5 months from a quality journeyman like him on loan than you would from a younger player stepping up to a new league. My guess is he struggles as a starter but scores some goals off the bench. The question is whether Martial can stay healthy and add something to his game - like trying to score even one goal per month from inside the 6 yard box - because if we sign Aboubakar, I think we'll see Martial start basically every non-cup game but play 60-65 minutes or so (like Ozil under Mourinho) with Aboubakar getting 25-30 minutes damn near every game to come off the bench and make a difference. And when the lines we're against are high, we do have the option of Garnacho out left and Rashford up top. So he does make some sense with what we have in the squad. I'm fine with this and us taking time to get the right #9 in during the summer, since we need a really quality starter up there.

croadyman

What was we really expecting on loan really, the money involved for a loan of Felix was insane so he was ruled out and I don't think there is anyone else available really.

I don't know much about him but his goal record isn't that bad, he's scored regular in France, Turkey and Portugal so hopefully he offers something to the squad in his short time with us.

At the end of the day Martial can't play every match.
Don't think Felix is ruled out at all because hasn't agreed to join Arsenal yet,that's one which could well go to the last day

NoPace

If we're still looking to add someone else so he's basically coming in as 3rd choice CF then I'm okay with this.
I'd think of it as platooning/battling for a spot with Garnacho, since Rashford can play LW or as a 9 at the end of games if we're ahead with Garnacho at LW.

Tier 1, playing every meaningful minute: Rashford
Tier 2, starters: Martial, Antony
Tier 3, backups unless on fire and one for high lines one for deep ones: Garnacho, Aboubakar
Tier 4, mop up minutes: Elanga or if he goes on loan then Pellistri or Shoretire but really probably Bruno out wide if it's meaningful minutes

CM

He’s the same age as Casemiro. What the feck? I thought he was like 35 playing in Saudi for his last year or so
Samuel Eto'o will conduct the first part of his medical

TheReligion

Abusive
I'd think of it as platooning/battling for a spot with Garnacho, since Rashford can play LW or as a 9 at the end of games if we're ahead with Garnacho at LW.

Tier 1, playing every meaningful minute: Rashford
Tier 2, starters: Martial, Antony
Tier 3, backups unless on fire and one for high lines one for deep ones: Garnacho, Aboubakar
Tier 4, mop up minutes: Elanga or if he goes on loan then Pellistri or Shoretire but really probably Bruno out wide if it's meaningful minutes
We will also have Sancho back soon

Member 125398

What kind of forward is he ?
He'll straight up ask you all sorts of intrusive, personal questions but that is normal in Saudi tbf, he'll need time to adapt to the more reserved nature of British culture.

dinostar77

A loan till end of season sounds fine to me. Allows us to save money for the summer window and a bid for a elite striker.

Abu is strong, has a good workrate and can hold up the ball. Whats not to like for six months?

daba

The only thing I can assume / hope is that he was a target for ETH from his Ajax days, and knows how he would like to use him.

I really hope ETH is having a good say on this though, as it will have an impact on our prospects this season.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I would love it if this is true.

1. Aboubakar is a good player. In a vacuum, put Martial, Aboubakar and Thuram in front of a manager — in a hypothetical scenario before like a national team tournament POs — it’s definitely not a given in which order they would be selected.

2. Aboubakar does not impact our chances to do anything else. He would more or less come for free. The Saudis must get rid of him, can’t register Ronaldo before they do.

3. I don’t agree with the notion that we only have one position up front to fill. Yes, it is suicidal to not bring in at least one striker. But we definitely should get another forward. Antony Elanga’s development would be best served going on loan to the Championship. With the schedule we have, we need at least an option at every position — and reality is that our current options at one point or another during the season will be injured.

Right now we have Rash/Martial/Antony/Bruno and Garnacho/Elanga/Sancho/[N/A]. That is just way to thin.

We should definitely aim to get two guys in January. We just lost Donny, and while I am always optimistic, it didn’t look good for this season. Why are we still talking about this like we only need one striker? I am not sure if ETH would be comfortable to let Elanga go on loan if we “just” get two players.

Fr. Todd Unctious

A loan till end of season sounds fine to me. Allows us to save money for the summer window and a bid for a elite striker.

Abu is strong, has a good workrate and can hold up the ball. Whats not to like for six months?

This.

You're not going to get anyone long term this window without getting fecked over on the fee. Clubs will always be reluctant to let a striker go mid seasom

mu4c_20le

Well, imagine the Dubravka loan, but for strikers.

His numbers in the Saudi league are actually worse than Ighalo, yes that Ighalo, who is 3 years older.

croadyman

This won't lift the mood of the doubters but thought worth uploading anyway

TheReligion

Abusive
Would the Saudis even pay much of his wages so they can get him out? Essentially United could get him for nothing for a few months?

Would allow us to perhaps get another in like Felix.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

A hotchpotch of decent moments to some outright hilarious bad ones.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
No, it's nonsense. Funny seeing people treating it as reliable info though.
I don't know if its true or not but what I can say is the same people said this when we got linked to Igalho and Arnaotovic. Both genuine targets and one of them even signed for us.

We don't have an endless supply of cash sadly.

croadyman

Don't know why I bothered saying no moaning about who Erik chooses,complete waste of time

croadyman

I could see us getting both.

It also doesn’t make sense to wait all window to do something as it seems Atletico are playing hardball.
Thank you for speaking some sense because some in this thread have given up hope

Judas

Open to offers
Not believing this. If it does end up being true, it better not be the only forward signing we make in this window. I think our name is simply being used again.

TheReligion

Abusive
Thank you for speaking some sense because some in this thread have given up hope
If we put all our eggs in the Felix or nothing basket then that deal could go to the last day and we would have a month with limited options.

That would be stupid.

croadyman

If we put all our eggs in the Felix or nothing basket then that deal could go to the last day and we would have a month with limited options.

That would be stupid.
Yeah exactly hence why we are trying to do loan deal for Depay or this guy as well. Personally should get all three but not doing that.