Vincent Kompany | Bayern Munich Manager (Sack watch)

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
This is honestly the most surprising managerial signing I can remember, only thing that comes close is Don Carlo at Everton.

What I find funny is that getting Vincent isn't the sign that Bayern believe he's the next great manager etc, they are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel after being rejected by 5-6 managers already. I don't think they wouldn't ever considered Kompany had every other manager told them to do one.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
Hoeneß and co probably spinned a Roulette wheel containing all the names of managers, it landed on Kompany.

Infra-red

Excellent news for fans of Leverkusen or Stuttgart (and probably RBL or Dortmund).

Less than excellent news for fans of Bayern. They've evidently decided they are bored with winning Bundesligas and have decided to spend a few years in the wilderness to make things more interesting.

Someone

Something
I don't like him. This season has been a complete failure for him, and he gets rewarded with the Bayern job?

GoldanoGraham

Wow - that’s quite a point by Bayern…..

Fair play to Kompany though - from being relegated to the Championship to top Euro big hitter - that’s some end of season reward!

Not sure how that will go down in Munich, with players or fans….

GlasgowCeltic

Just read that van Bommel won a league and cup double in Belgium last year, at least he "knows the club"

criticalanalysis

Wow. I was just saying a few days ago that McKenna should look at Kompany to know taking a team up only to go down again won't be looked at favourably by clubs. Little did I know, although to be fair, Kompany's career as a player as well as his Championship run probably has a big factor there.

If he's really as good as his Championship run and is able to handle the egos because he's big fecker with lots of top level experience, it could work well for them. The squad is already one of the best in the league already so it won't be hard to implement the tactics he'd want. I mean they've consider it a disaster of a season and they were third place.

Last edited:

SER19

Crazy appointment. Bayern are generally well run so who knows, but this appointment should give some pause to our own fans who seem to think decisions are simple regarding managers. Bayern obviously have their reasons for this, but Kompanys credentials are very poor

Judas

Open to offers
I can see Burnley fans being equally annoyed and glad. As much as he got them promoted, his approach this season gave them no chance in hell of staying him.

RedRocket9908

Its unbelievable that Vincent Kompany and Craig Bellamy will be in charge of Bayern next season after getting Burnley relegated, I wonder what Harry Kane is thinking right now.

justboy68

I don't know for sure that Kompany is that bad, Burnley's squad is bobbins. It is of course a big leap though. His success as a player helping him out in getting this gig no doubt.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Its unbelievable that Vincent Kompany and Craig Bellamy will be in charge of Bayern next season after getting Burnley relegated, I wonder what Harry Kane is thinking right now.
Probably that he needs better advisers, a better agent etc. just terrible decision after terrible decision over his career.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Probably that he needs better advisers, a better agent etc. just terrible decision after terrible decision over his career.
What terrible decison after terrible decision?

He was blocked from going to City, he essentially had a choice of Bayern or United, the latter who Levy wouldn't sell to and given the shambles that is United choosing Bayern in hindsight is a no brainer, the alternative would have been to stay at Spurs

criticalanalysis

He was blocked from going to City, he essentially had a choice of Bayern or United, the latter who Levy wouldn't sell to and given the shambles that is United choosing Bayern in hindsight is a no brainer, the alternative would have been to stay at Spurs
This recent move to Bayern was not a terrible decision as it was probably the best option he had last summer. The poster is probably talking about Kane signing contract extensions at Spurs taking up the majority of his peak years with no release clause or gentlemen agreements etc. These basically tied him down with no leverage where he should have already known Levy wasn't going to let him go for a reasonable or attainable fee.

I understand he did it for his career as each contract etc was guaranteed big money such is the fickle nature of football with an injury around the corner but knowing his quality and worth, he could have got more or sooner if he 'forced' or ran his contract down. Maybe he just valued Spurs, was being respectful and that means more to him.

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
I remember a headline in 2018 after our match with Man City: "Kane bossed by Kompany"

Didn't realize it was also a prophecy :lol:

Theonas

Scout
It just goes to show clubs are looking beyond results and winning pedigree as an essential. Bayern had much more success with Flick than Ancelotti recently for example. It's not either or as you can also argue they failed terribly with Kovac. But I think in general, clubs nowadays are looking for playing ideologies that they feel will translate to success with the right support and resources as opposed to managers who "only" achieve results. This explains how Mourinho, Conte and Allegri have been ignored by every club in Europe this year and there have been many of them looking for managers.

city-puma

It’s the era for the new generation to come front and raise to the top. Bayern makes the move now. We should do the similar as well. Let’s get McKenna.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
are looking beyond results and winning pedigree as an essential. Bayern had much more success with Flick than Ancelotti recently for example. It's not either or as you can also argue they failed terribly with Kovac. But I think in general, clubs nowadays are looking for playing ideologies that they feel will translate to success with the right support and resources as opposed to managers who "only" achieve results. This explains how Mourinho, Conte and Allegri have been ignored by every club in Europe this year and there have been many of them looking for managers.
Exactly. I think it's more exciting than the same 5-6 names doing the rounds at various top clubs. Clubs are more appreciative of the younger generation of managers bringing in new ideas than the same tried and tested shit. There is a next generation of managers in Alonso, Arteta, Amorim, Farioli , Nagelsmann, Kompany, Maresca, Mckenna, Hoeness etc. who are ready to take over. Some will fail and some will succeed, but it's better than the likes of Conte or Jose getting jobs for a title or two before they burn everything to the ground and move on to the next job they can find.

I hope we follow in the same path and don't get left behind by appointing Poch or Tuchel.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I have to admit the idea of Harry Kane leaving to join a serious club, only to see them appoint Vincent Kompany and Craig Bellamy as coaches is just too funny.

Waynne

1. Joke thread

2. Very very late April fools

3. Where's the white text?

Any of the above please. I refuse to believe Bayern are considering Vincent fecking Kompany :lol:

BaguetteBoy

As surprise as it is can see why Bayern wanted a young manager. Did extremely well with his brand of football in the championship obviously found it very difficult in EPL but got great experience from it. Maybe a bit early for him to such a big job but the level of players he will be working with is 4-5x the players he had this season. Good luck to him

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Burnley got relegated this season because Kompany refused to change his tactics in order to keep his tactics and style of play in the shop window for a bigger move. Elite tactics without elite players.

Responsible manager would have been pragmatic and played to his squad's strengths to win points. But Kompany is an arrogant self-publicist. Suspect he'll do well at Bayern though.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
The firing of Nagelsmann is turning into our very own Harambe moment (sorry for the terminally online reference)

stevoc

Burnley got relegated this season because Kompany refused to change his tactics in order to keep his tactics and style of play in the shop window for a bigger move. Elite tactics without elite players.

Responsible manager would have been pragmatic and played to his squad's strengths to win points. But Kompany is an arrogant self-publicist. Suspect he'll do well at Bayern though.
Sounds familiar.

stevoc

The biggest terrible decision Kane made was signing that last contract that tied him to Spurs until he was 30. Ensuring he had zero chance of winning anything during his prime years.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger

First terrible decision would be using his own brother as his agent. The other decisions would involvert being one of the best strikers in the world and signing long term contracts without having an exit strategy when Levy is well known for being extremely difficult to deal with. The gentlemans agreement he thought he had was piss funny.

A proper agent would have been much more likely to insist on a contract where Kane would have more power

Micky Targaryen

For posters who can "understand" the possibility of Bayern hiring Kompany, are you lot okay with the idea of Kompany replacing ETH?