Vinicius Junior

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Yes. And you're proof of it. Because unfortunately too many people think like you
What you rely on to ensure that he did it for racist purposes?
What evidence do you have or are you just saying it because he is a Real Madrid player and you are from Real Madrid?

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
It's also a reason why Spain has the stereotype of being a nation that condones racism. The lack of context clearly kills any argument in this regard.
What is that reason? Where did you hear or read it? If 99% of the people who come to Spain believe that we like bullfighting here, we eat paella and tortillas at all hours, we take a siesta.
What there is in this world is a lot of ignorance of people who believe everything they say on TV or newspapers and do not investigate what is really happening from reliable sources.

Vapor trail

What is that reason? Where did you hear or read it? If 99% of the people who come to Spain believe that we like bullfighting here, we eat paella and tortillas at all hours, we take a siesta.
What there is in this world is a lot of ignorance of people who believe everything they say on TV or newspapers and do not investigate what is really happening from reliable sources.
Waffle, for example there's a slang term in London "gassing something up" which means to lie about something. It's a term I heard the youth saying. Now if this was said to someone of Jewish heritage is this acceptable ? The language itself is innocent but its the details surrounding the context that totally changes the narrative.

This is the same referring to any black person with an idiom etc with regards to a monkey. It has racial undertones because of the context. There's no exclusion in this world when it comes to ignorance. The presenter was ignorant. Doesn't matter what fancy "it's normal round here" argument is used to justify it.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Understood. That would explain the fact that it has caused no controversy in Spain and the absence of an official statement from Madrid. In Ireland, we also had a number of 'colloquial' expressions that used to be commonplace but are properly not acceptable any more. The monkey connection is not particular to Brazil or a couple of countries, it's pretty universal. To claim it's not a thing in Spain is pretty unbelievable. At the very least, the comments were exceptionally naive.
What he said came off as both racist and xenophobic, some people might argue that it isn't the case but there's a lot racism in Spain so no wonder they're trying to pass it as a non-offensive comment.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If a person comes to Spain and someone says that to them and they feel offended, you have to explain to them what that expression really means and that they are not comparing it to a monkey.
Obviously there are racist people and they say that to call him a monkey but it is not the case of this person who said it to Vinicius. And this expression perse is not racist even if you say it to a black person.
If all the people in Spain tell a black person that he is acting like a monkey, 99.99999999% mean that he is acting like an idiot, the rest are racists.
If a black person comes to Spain, you have to understand not to use language that compares them to a monkey. Whether it's generally a normal expression for you or not. Because the overriding expectation is that you understand why doing so is a problem, not that the black person understands why he shouldn't think you doing so in this particular instance is racist.

If you instead decide to use that language, try to justify it as not being racist, don't apologise for your poor choice of words and then complain when you're criticised for something you could obviously be criticised for, all of that is on you. Not because you didn't properly explain what the expression means, but because you stupidly opted to use an expression that compared a black person to a monkey, something it should be beyond common sense for a grown adult not to do. And then tried to justify it instead of understanding and accepting why you were in the wrong and had said something stupid.

It's difficult to emphasise quite strongly enough just how easy it is for someone who isn't racist to avoid comparing black people to monkeys. If someone can't manage it, they're at the very least an idiot. And you can't walk around being an idiot and not expect criticism.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Waffle, for example there's a slang term in London "gassing something up" which means to lie about something. It's a term I heard the youth saying. Now if this was said to someone of Jewish heritage is this acceptable ? The language itself is innocent but its the details surrounding the context that totally changes the narrative.

This is the same referring to any black person with an idiom etc with regards to a monkey. It has racial undertones because of the context. There's no exclusion in this world when it comes to ignorance. The presenter was ignorant. Doesn't matter what fancy "it's normal round here" argument is used to justify it.
I don't think about that expression because I don't know how it is said and in what environment it is said.
But if you say it to a Jew, and that Jewish person is bothered by that expression.
Is it so hard to say, I'm sorry I didn't mean to bother you, I just wanted to say this with this expression?

Things are talked about before accusing people of serious things.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
If a black person comes to Spain, you have to understand not to use language that compares them to a monkey. Whether it's generally a normal expression for you or not. Because the overriding expectation is that you understand why doing so is a problem, not that the black person understands why he shouldn't think you doing so in this particular instance is racist.

If you instead decide to use that language, try to justify it as not being racist, don't apologise for your poor choice of words and then complain when you're criticised for something you could obviously be criticised for, all of that is on you. Not because you didn't properly explain what the expression means, but because you stupidly opted to use an expression that compared a black person to a monkey, something it should be beyond common sense for a grown adult not to do. And then tried to justify it instead of understanding and accepting why you were in the wrong and had said something stupid.

It's difficult to emphasise quite strongly enough just how easy it is for someone who isn't racist to avoid comparing black people to monkeys. If someone can't manage it, they're at the very least an idiot. And you can't walk around being an idiot and not expect criticism.
If a black person from the United States arrives in Spain, where they are used to calling them a person of color or Afro-American, and a Spaniard labels him black and the person is also offended, now do we Spaniards have to change our way of speaking? Whoever comes to Spain or another country must integrate into our culture, not the Spanish change our way of speaking because those who come from abroad have another. I have several friends from Senegal and if you call them people of color they get very angry and tell you to call me black, which is what I am. But to an American I will be racist.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
It's also a reason why Spain has the stereotype of being a nation that condones racism. The lack of context clearly kills any argument in this regard.
You have not yet told me where you got that Spain condones racism.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Some people will defend anything under the guise of playing devil's advocate.

RedRoach

Spain is relatively multi culturally naive compared to other countries as it has had much less immigration than say the France or the UK, however as someone from abroad living here I don't believe the people are institutionally racist or racist in general, just naive to the way the world views these things and they have a lot to learn about what is acceptable (see the numerous blackface incidents involving footballers).

Also they really need to do themselves a favour and get rid of products that promote the image of them being racist. I still cannot believe that Conguitos are still for sale for example https://english.elpais.com/society/...s-candy-pushed-to-rebrand-racist-imagery.html

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Some people will defend anything under the guise of playing devil's advocate.
Any topic can be debated, the problem is that people do not know how to give arguments without insulting, or because you disagree with something they already put the label.

If you believe that an expression is not racist and people who disagree, insult you and call you racist and more. And without arguments. People are not capable of disagreeing with correction and education.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Spain is relatively multi culturally naive compared to other countries as it has had much less immigration than say the France or the UK, however as someone from abroad living here I don't believe the people are institutionally racist or racist in general, just naive to the way the world views these things and they have a lot to learn about what is acceptable (see the numerous blackface incidents involving footballers).

Also they really need to do themselves a favour and get rid of products that promote the image of them being racist. I still cannot believe that Conguitos are still for sale for example https://english.elpais.com/society/...s-candy-pushed-to-rebrand-racist-imagery.html
I agree on several things.
Just a note. Spain has as much immigration as the United Kingdom or France. And that without counting that the South American people obtain Spanish nationalization in only two years.

https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Países_por_población_inmigrante

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So racism doesn’t have to be involved in racism?
Racism has to be involved in racism. But racist intent or sentiment doesn't have to be involved in racism, at all.

If a footballer called another footballer the N-word but genuinely had zero racist intent and just saw it as gamesmanship, it would still be obvious racism. Because his feelings don't get to dictate to the rest of us what is or isn't racist.

Not least because, unsurpisingly, people who do and say racist things often have a skewed perception of what is/isn't or whether they are/aren't racist.

In this case we all understand that comparing black people to monkeys is one of the most common racist tropes. And we judge people who do so. Whether it's because they harbour racist sentiment or are too stupid to know better, we can't know and we have no particular reason to care. We can still say it is racism and they shouldn't have done it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yes because he lied about what he said? Didn’t he say he hurt him because he was black or something? He didn’t just call him black.
Far as i know, he didn't lie. He called him black, several times, in a mocking/insulting tone which clearly showed racist connotations

I’m just reading people saying it doesn’t matter what meaning is behind words and it’s ridiculous imo. Then you’re just mad at words and not racism itself.
There has to be racism behind the words. The most racist prick in the world can use certain words that aren’t considered racist by us but are 100 percent racist to him, that’s still racist. It works both ways
I agree. But you seem to have it backwards in this case. Read the whole statement. That was 100% intended as a racially charged insult

As an example, I never knew coconut was a racist term. Not one clue until recently. If there was ever a time before that i (somehow) called a black man a coconut (again somehow!)would it be racist?
For me there just has to be emotion behind it otherwise it’s not prejudiced.
Conversely, now that you know that term can have racist connotations would you use it deliberately when adressing a black individual?

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So racism doesn’t have to be involved in racism?
You don't have to be intentionally racist to say something that is racist. Conversely, you can also deliberately say something that is racist without using outright racist expressions

Vapor trail

You have not yet told me where you got that Spain condones racism.
Spain like Italy has this stereotype. It is what is. I cannot source where a stereotype has originated from only that it exists.

If a black person from the United States arrives in Spain, where they are used to calling them a person of color or Afro-American, and a Spaniard labels him black and the person is also offended, now do we Spaniards have to change our way of speaking? Whoever comes to Spain or another country must integrate into our culture, not the Spanish change our way of speaking because those who come from abroad have another. I have several friends from Senegal and if you call them people of color they get very angry and tell you to call me black, which is what I am. But to an American I will be racist.
This subsequently answers the stereotype question. If someone visits another country integration into a culture and observation of a culture are two different things. I can visit a country and observe the culture respectfully without integrating into it. That's like saying going to Dubai or the middle East one must become a Muslim in order to appease the culture of the relative said place, nonsense.

That's not how the world works. In life people are given names not for the sake of it but for identification. Go to any professional establishment or place to conduct business and call people black or white and see if you can expand your horizons with networking.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Spain like Italy has this stereotype. It is what is. I cannot source where a stereotype has originated from only that it exists.

This subsequently answers the stereotype question. If someone visits another country integration into a culture and observation of a culture are two different things. I can visit a country and observe the culture respectfully without integrating into it. That's like saying going to Dubai or the middle East one must become a Muslim in order to appease the culture of the relative said place, nonsense.

That's not how the world works. In life people are given names not for the sake of it but for identification. Go to any professional establishment or place to conduct business and call people black or white and see if you can expand your horizons with networking.
But on what basis do you say that Spain condones racism? It's not true, that's why I ask you where you get the information.

No one is asking for one to change one's religion.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I have already explained the meaning of that expression and it has nothing to do with skin color. In Spanish culture it is not racist, it is simply seen as racist by those who have another culture, those who are not impartial and those who see racism in everything.

I have used that expression all my life, and all the people around me, and in newspapers, radio and television.

That you have lived for a while in Spain and seen people throw bananas in a stadium has nothing to do with a Spanish cultural expression.
As @kouroux said, the point I made has flown completely over your head. I don’t think I could explain it any more clearly. I think you are just being purposely obtuse and doubling down on your original argument, which to be honest is really troubling.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
The problem is to believe false stereotypes and take them for granted without seeking information.
And then repeat them without any argument or information.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
As @kouroux said, the point I made has flown completely over your head. I don’t think I could explain it any more clearly. I think you are just being purposely obtuse and doubling down on your original argument, which to be honest is really troubling.
Sorry, I already gave you explanations. More I can't do if you don't understand it or argue anything.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I certainly did! I've no time for a grown man who's reaction to putting his country 2-1 in a World Cup final is doing a fecking Fortnite dance.
Yes, am pretty sure everyone thinks Griezzman is a cnut.

Vapor trail

The problem is to believe false stereotypes and take them for granted without seeking information.
And then repeat them without any argument or information.
Lack of objectivity, in no way have I stated to commonly agree or support with the said stereotypes only that they exist. Your rambling on about the need for others to integrate into Spanish culture exemplifies why these types of debates are prevalent.

Others have made valid points about Spanish culture being naive amongst elements such as multiculturalism and diversification around ethnicity. This therefore has a negative impact around influencing social competence. Your experience is different and your perspective is different because you are conditioned by your domesticity. The problem is your difference is controversial because in my opinion it lacks common sense.

It doesn't make either you or myself the better but one thing about civilization is there's always commonality where there's acceptance.

Last edited:

RedRoach

I agree on several things.
Just a note. Spain has as much immigration as the United Kingdom or France. And that without counting that the South American people obtain Spanish nationalization in only two years.

https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Países_por_población_inmigrante
Yes but I would argue the immigration is relatively recent probably because not so long ago Spain was a dictatorship.

Countries like the UK and France have had immigration going back centuries and there are several generations of people of colour.

Just look at parliament in the UK as an example. There is not a single prominent politician of colour in Spain to my knowledge.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That clip reinforces Walker's speed more than anything. His recovery was pretty impressive for someone, who pressed too tight and got done.

If Phil Jones (?!) wasn't there, it would have been interesting to see Dembele going straight for goal with the open pitch and if Walker would have got close enough/goal side.
He catches up because Dembele has to dribble / figure out what to do next. Dumbell seemed quicker before that.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Isn’t stereotyping generally frowned upon now? Or is that only if the stereotype doesn’t suit your narrative?

Vapor trail

Isn’t stereotyping generally frowned upon now? Or is that only if the stereotype doesn’t suit your narrative?
Depends on your perspective, stereotypes certainly can be largely depends on what they convey I have already given my view on this matter. The narrative you've subsequently touched on however is more of a reality due to a) the sole reason why this thread has been bumped and b) the evidence in the subsequent opinions posted which demonstrates why racial issues arise with regards to the traditional elements in specific countries.

What he is guilty off are occasional theatrics.
If this is the depth of your summation regarding this particular issue then it's easier to pick and choose what "narrative" you feel strong toward given the issue with the presenters professionalism

Last edited:

Withnail

Nice use of narrative.

The poster means Spain and Italy have a reputation for being soft on punishments for racism and their societies in general seem to be more accepting of racist attitudes/humour than the UK or Ireland. I work with a Spanish guy and he told me himself that Spain is more racist than Ireland, for example.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Atletico are a scum club on and off the pitch.
Neo-nazi ultras and they lack the guts to move against them

At least Laporta kicked theirs out of the stadium. Florentino too

TsuWave

All the manoeuvring people were doing in this thread; "I'm from bla bla it's not racist, bla bla bla"

Seems like the Atletico fans didn't get the memo