g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Vinicius Junior

Joel Miller

How good was he? He terrorised that Bayern defence. It has gotten to a point now where you question if Mbappe is really a necessary signing for Madrid. Because Vinicius is going from strength to stengthb

Zoo

All the talk is of Mbappe and Haaland as the future superstars but this guy is up there too.
Said this in December 2022. Also unlike the other two (in particular Haaland) he’s super fun to watch

TheLord

I didn't think he would turn out to be this good. A top player who will surely improve in the coming season.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I didn't think he would turn out to be this good. A top player who will surely improve in the coming season.
Can see city maybe buying him or swap deal with Haaland, Madrid could get Haaland upfront with Mbappe on the left.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Amazing player but hate his antics. Hard to watch really.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
People talking about how Mbappé would displace him and stuff like that haven't been paying attention to Madrid, or Mbappé. The problem isn't where each would play - they'd play close to each other, that's the important thing. The issue is Mbappé doesn't work at all defensively, plus he had his chance to sign for us 2 years ago and decided to be a little gobshite. He deserves to never win anything of note anymore, his legacy never amounting to anything special. Feck him
Yeah, he can feck off! :lol:

Also like many have pointed it would be like a redundant signing and the money would be better spent on a pure striker.

As for Vinicius he was incredible for us against Bayern, despite Joselu being the one who scored Vinicius was a nightmare for Bayern's defense and it was only because of Neuer having a perfect game for 80 something minutes that we hadn't scored until that point. If we win the UCL I think Vinicius could win the Ballon d'or.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Also like many have pointed it would be like a redundant signing and the money would be better spent on a pure striker.
I mean, kinda but so would a "pure striker", more or less, unless it's a Benzema-type, an attacking playmaker. Especially with Endrick coming. In all honesty it's CBs we need, and maybe cover on the flanks

If Lisan al Gaib Joselu can get more confidence out of this season and be better next year the attack doesn't need to be touched really.

Mbappé would still be a horror movie for our opponents. Try and stop him, Vini and Bellingham combining at pace down that left...

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Mbappé would still be a horror movie for our opponents. Try and stop him, Vini and Bellingham combining at pace down that left...
I mean it would give a lot more depth and ideally we should have the best players competing for the starting spots but when everybody is fit not everyone is going to be super happy to be on the bench or play out of position.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
At what point does it become too many cooks in the kitchen though? The midfield is relatively well balanced but I have no idea how you would line up with Vini and Mbappe both in the team.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
At what point does it become too many cooks in the kitchen though? The midfield is relatively well balanced but I have no idea how you would line up with Vini and Mbappe both in the team.
Same way we line up with Vini and Rodrygo

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Same way we line up with Vini and Rodrygo
My final question that I typed out then deleted from the post last sec was, and what happens to Rodrygo? Back to holding the bench?

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
My final question that I typed out then deleted from the post last sec was, and what happens to Rodrygo? Back to holding the bench?
I think that is what is going to happen. What would you do if you were the coach?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think that is what is going to happen. What would you do if you were the coach?
I guess I wouldn’t pass up the chance to sign Mbappe so Rodyrgo would have to hold the bench but it would be a such a shame because he’s brilliant player.

He’d have a lot of takers if he said ‘nah feck that I’m off somewhere where I can play’.

al.gabiru

The best dribbler in the world, although he has problems finishing.

He's a typical Brazilian winger with a lot of skill and lethal in the 1v1.

RedStarUnited

Amazing player but hate his antics. Hard to watch really.
What antics? He barely dives.

in a sport where nearly every game has a player faking an injury, im always surprised turn their nose up at truly entertaining players like Vini or more notoriously Neymar.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I have another question too...

What happens to Endrick?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I have another question too...

What happens to Endrick?

Depth right? Endrick will be 18. He’s going to need at least a season to bed in. And there are loads of games to play, so he’ll get plenty of minutes.

This year Madrid have looked pretty stretched at times, squad wise, especially up front when Vinicius was injured. Now they can properly rotate. If they stick with 4-3-1-2, they basically have 4 strikers in Vinicius, Mbappe, Rodrygo, and Endrick. It’s like United when they had Yorke, Cole, Sheringham, and Solksjaer. So basically, you have a treble on the way. Congratulations.

Next season they can also properly play 4-3-3 if they want, with Vini left, Mbappe central, and Rodrygo right. Endrick and Brahim covering across most positions. Frankly though, Mbappe and Vini as a two, splitting apart and having Bellingham ghosting through, is frighteningly good.

I can’t imagine Rodrygo or Endrick are going anywhere because if either Mbappe or Vini pick up an injury, then they are playing every game. With the euros this summer, lots of key players are going to get little rest. Big squads will be essential next season. Bellingham, for one, has looked tired the last month or so. Remember he’s still only 20.

feck me, it must be ridiculously good to be a Madrid fan. That squad, those trophies, and the stadium looks spectacular. And to think, just 15 years ago we were regularly outperforming Madrid in Europe, and they wanted half our players. Now they just laugh at us while we overpay for their cast offs. Sad times for United. Brilliant for Real.

On Vinicius, I think he is the best player in the world. He’s a joy to watch. Still only 23. I’d take him over Mbappe. But Madrid being Madrid, they don’t have to choose. Just have them both. Lucky feckers.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can have a serious conversation with Mbappé as to who the best player in the world is at the moment.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
At the start of the millenium we had a run of weak Ballon d'or winners:
2000 - Figo
2001 - Owen
2002 - Ronaldo (this version of Ronaldo was not all time great)
2003 - Nedved
2004 - Shevchenko
I think Vinicius is at this level right now and wouldn't look out of place among these guys. It's when you compare him to the superstars that came after like Ronaldinho or before like Ronaldo (when he was in his peak version) that Vinicius looks out of place. It feels like that with Messi and C.Ronaldo gone that we are missing a megastar like we did when Ronaldo got injured at the start of the millenium. I don't think anyone is good enough to fill that spot at the moment, maybe Vinicius can be in the future but he needs to get better than he is currently.
fecking hell. Owen is the only argument there and he had a ridiculous season to get there. Figo, Nedved and Shevchenko are all time world class players. What are you smoking?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
fecking hell. Owen is the only argument there and he had a ridiculous season to get there. Figo, Nedved and Shevchenko are all time world class players. What are you smoking?
I think Vinicius is at least every bit as good as those three, personally

Eplel

I think Vinicius is at least every bit as good as those three, personally
Talent-wise he's up there. But mentality-wise, he's almost small time, and if he doesn't change attitude, I see him waning quickly.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Talent-wise he's up there. But mentality-wise, he's almost small time, and if he doesn't change attitude, I see him waning quickly.
He has the greatest constitution in the game amongst those still contesting for trophies in Europe - would actually love to hear your reasoning behind what you have said.

Would also love yo hear your definition of "mentality monsters" if not Vinicius.

Posh Red

He has the greatest constitution in the game amongst those still contesting for trophies in Europe - would actually love to hear your reasoning behind what you have said.

Would also love yo hear your definition of 'l"mentality monsters" if not Vinicius.
The shite he’s had to deal with, but just carries on going and silencing the haters. That video of him struggling was brutal. Seems an extremely strong character, which isn’t a surprise. South Americans often seem mentally robust.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The shite he’s had to deal with, but just carries on going and silencing the haters. That video of him struggling was brutal. Seems an extremely strong character, which isn’t a surprise. South Americans often seem mentally robust.
Exactly. And he's 23-years old. If not for him breaking down like that, some might even assume that he is unaffected, but the fact he is suffering and facing a torrent if racial abuse around Spain and yet delivers with such defiance is actually incredible.

Then there's his sheer doggedness and relentlessness in Europe, and it's clear this guy is really something very special mentality and resilience wise.

Posh Red

Exactly. And he's 23-years old. If not for him breaking down like that, some might even assume that he is unaffected, but the fact he is suffering and facing a torrent if racial abuse around Spain and yet delivers with such defiance is actually incredible.

Then there's his sheer doggedness and relentlessness in Europe, and it's clear this guy is really something very special mentality and resilience wise.
Yeah. I find it hard to believe someone could think otherwise. He’s one of the best footballers in the world at a young age. You can’t achieve that without having serious mental fortitude!

Korwas

I never said they were bad players, I simply said they were weak ballon do'r winners which they were. A ballon d'or winner is always an amazing player.
2000 Figo
2001 Owen
2002 Ronaldo
2003 Nedved
2004 Shevchenko
This group is not the same level as:
1997 Ronaldo
1998 Zidane
1999 Rivaldo (arguably)
2005 Ronaldinho
These players are too good for Vini to win Ballon d'or, but I think he would win or compete with the first group. Then obviously Messi and C.Ronaldo went a level above this group.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Figo should be in the second group and that "arguably" in front of Rivaldo should be removed.

Korwas

And R9 should be in the ‘obviously’ group with Messi and Ronaldo.
I did write it like that at first but for some reason changed it before posting. Ronaldo in 1997 was way ahead of anyone around today.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I never said they were bad players, I simply said they were weak ballon do'r winners which they were. A ballon d'or winner is always an amazing player.
2000 Figo
2001 Owen
2002 Ronaldo
2003 Nedved
2004 Shevchenko
This group is not the same level as:
1997 Ronaldo
1998 Zidane
1999 Rivaldo (arguably)
2005 Ronaldinho
These players are too good for Vini to win Ballon d'or, but I think he would win or compete with the first group. Then obviously Messi and C.Ronaldo went a level above this group.
Jesus Christ mate. Figo was absolutely in Zidane and Rivaldos level. As was Shevchenko. Unbelievable players. Nedved was, but arguably not at his highest levels for as long as everyone else there though.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
In order
97 ronaldo
02 ronaldo = 98 zidane = 05 dinho = 99 rivaldo = 01 figo
04 sheva
03 nedved
-
01 owen

Vini could 100% compete with the 2nd tier, kid's been a barbarian these past 3 years, though he hasn't quite reached that level yet

Kulspruta

There’s a video doing the rounds in social media of Vini right after the first goal against Bayern that shows how much of a leader he is in that team, bringing everybody around him and saying “vamos a gañar ahora” (we’re winning this right now) and “remontada”!