Virgil van Dijk | OFFICIAL: Liverpool agree £75m fee (£70m upfront) with Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I think he is a better investment than VVD regardless.
It's not about better investment for Liverpool. It's about getting the better player for their defensive needs right now.
Buy VVD for their needs now, look at Ajer for the future when they sell off some of the dross they have.
Not signing a quality player because some chap has potential when you need to fix something now isn't logical.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
They are showing insane ambition by paying 130M for two players, obviously our advantage seems to have vanished now. City, Chelsea and Liverpool have as much money as us, can’t deny it anymore.

Van Dijk is not only a greater reader of the game and a fine defender, he is also a great leader - something they are lacking entirely. Expensive yes, by all means, but who cares? Better to go all in instead of striking out on cheaper deals for worse players.

Van Dijk is the one we should have gotten instead of Lindelof, who in all honesty does nothing to warrant a potential reputation of being a great Man United-defender. We really, really need to invest heavily in both January and the summer.
doubt this, if anything it confirms coutinho is off to barca.

lovren looked good at southampton as well. I'd be hilarious if van dijk goes the same route at liverpool

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I actually rate him quite a bit. Thank he's a very, very good defender.

The transfer fee is almost irrelevant. The transfer market has become so egregiously inflated over the last few seasons that these numbers mean absolutely nothing. There's so much money in the game (especially in the premier league) that we have to re-evaluate what we consider excessive.

For the average joe these figures became excessive a long time ago, so now they're completely meaningless. I just look at the player and try to assess how much he would improve the team that he's moving to.

In the case of VVD i think he could improve them a lot. And if he does become a success there, then absolutely no one will care about the transfer fee.

automaticflare

A decent player who will also be exposed by the system they play
Not bothered
Klopp looks foolish in his comments
Now he got the only player who he said would improve their defence let's see how good they become

Empathy 2020

Supports
Most
Quite a marker by Liverpool even before the window opens. Is 75 mil too much?, of course it is. No footballer is worth that.

The race for the remaining 3 champions league places will be very interesting.

Cant wait to see if Arsenal with their defensive frailties respond to this move by Liverpool. Somehow I reckon they wont.

Acquire Me

It's not about better investment for Liverpool. It's about getting the better player for their defensive needs right now.
Buy VVD for their needs now, look at Ajer for the future when they sell off some of the dross they have.
Not signing a quality player because some chap has potential when you need to fix something now isn't logical.
I disagree with you or you dont see the logic. For the price of VVD you need to get a better player and more potential than the likes of VVD. Fecking Mee is a better shout. Ajer you invest in and will not cost anything remotely near that price.

To be clear, I am not saying they should have bought Ajer instead. I am saying they should get someone premium class for that price. It is plenty of players out there on VVD level :)

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I disagree with you or you dont see the logic. For the price of VVD you need to get a better player and more potential than the likes of VVD. Fecking Mee is a better shout. Ajer you invest in and will not cost anything remotely near that price.

To be clear, I am not saying they should have bought Ajer instead. I am saying they should get someone premium class for that price. It is plenty of players out there on VVD level :)
Struggle to see who is of higher quality that is willing to go to them and the selling club is willing to sell within the January window. If you rate him as average then that makes sense of course. I don't.
You invest time into a player like Ajer to later on produce the goods, but as you seem to understand now, they'd still need another quality defender even if they had bought Ajer. VVD is simply one good defender they know is available and willing to come. The price is way high, but even if they had bids accepted for a top defender like Boateng he certainly wouldn't go there.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
Quite a marker by Liverpool even before the window opens. Is 75 mil too much?, of course it is. No footballer is worth that.

The race for the remaining 3 champions league places will be very interesting.

Cant wait to see if Arsenal with their defensive frailties respond to this move by Liverpool. Somehow I reckon they wont.
took us 4 years to spend 50 mil on a striker when that was the general market price and you expect us to do something here :lol:

we are more likely to spend 7.5 mil or even more likely make a profit of that amount :rolleyes:

Josep Dowling

After spending so long laughing at us for spending £75m on a striker, they have done the same with a CB.

A player who hasn’t played for 3 months and who hasn’t done it yet at a bigger club.

VVD is a good defender but to be paying that price you have to be buying a Chiellini or Ramos, not somone who has minimal international caps at 26.

Personally think it’s a poor buy and they should have gone for other options.

Klopp’s previous comments about spending money like this has massively backfired now as well.

Acquire Me

Struggle to see who is of higher quality that is willing to go to them and the selling club is willing to sell within the January window. If you rate him as average then that makes sense of course. I don't.
You invest time into a player like Ajer to later on produce the goods, but as you seem to understand now, they'd still need another quality defender even if they had bought Ajer. VVD is simply one good defender they know is available and willing to come. The price is way high, but even if they had bids accepted for a top defender like Boateng he certainly wouldn't go there.
I dont rate him as a bad defender. I dont rate him as a world class defender. He will likely never be one.

I know they need someone to do a job now, but I struggle to see the point in overpaying for a player on his level. I would go for someone like Jonny Evans and maybe someone like Ajer. Makes more sense if you cant get a proper 75 million player.

TheReligion

Abusive
After spending so long laughing at us for spending £75m on a striker, they have done the same with a CB.

A player who hasn’t played for 3 months and who hasn’t done it yet at a bigger club.

VVD is a good defender but to be paying that price you have to be buying a Chiellini or Ramos, not somone who has minimal international caps at 26.

Klopp’s previous comments about spending money like this has massively backfired now as well.
This

TheReligion

Abusive
They are showing insane ambition by paying 130M for two players, obviously our advantage seems to have vanished now. City, Chelsea and Liverpool have as much money as us, can’t deny it anymore.

Van Dijk is not only a greater reader of the game and a fine defender, he is also a great leader - something they are lacking entirely. Expensive yes, by all means, but who cares? Better to go all in instead of striking out on cheaper deals for worse players.

Van Dijk is the one we should have gotten instead of Lindelof, who in all honesty does nothing to warrant a potential reputation of being a great Man United-defender. We really, really need to invest heavily in both January and the summer.
Liverpool have no where near what United have. The club simply doesn't make enough.

The money being spent is Coutinho cash cow.

deafepl

I wonder who Southampton will spend the money on.
I heard Southampton come sniffing for Darmin and Miki with their big money, we need to keep our best player instead of losing to them for 75 million.

BullishBull

Supports
Liverpool
It's easy to say there are better players out there than VVD but would they be interested in moving? Definitely not. It's not just that, we need a defender with a certain profile.

Is VVD commanding? Yes
Is VVD quick? Yes
Is VVD a leader? Yes
Is VVD good at attacking/defending set pieces? Yes

The likes of Boateng and Varane wouldn't be interested so as far as I'm concerned we have got the right player, but have overpaid.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Too many times we have tried to save a few million by negotiating and then negotiating some more even though we know the selling club want a certain figure or they won't sell. The majority of those times, we've lost out on the player and had to settle for a second/third rate alternative or (more commonly) no alternative.
We were being laughed at in September for not addressing our glaring weakness and as Liverpool fans, we were questioning Klopps sanity for going into the season with Lovren and Matip as our starting CB's.
We can' have it both ways. We've paid an almighty fee but we have not tried to lowball and eventually miss out altogether. We've done what we have seen Mourinho do plenty of times and just pay what it takes to get a player in to address a weakness. That kind of recruitment is not pretty on the chequebook but much more effective and it's something that none of us as Liverpool fans have seen under FSG.
Klopp was obviously told that a deal could be struck for VVD in January so I'm glad we didn't go for an alternative that would need replacing in a year. Quite happy with our business and looking forward to seeing him in a Liverpool shirt

AshRK

IF VVD is 75M , how much would DeGea be in this current market. 150M?

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
IF VVD is 75M , how much would DeGea be in this current market. 150M?
Depends on of he signs a new deal with us, if so, then de Gea's value shoots straight past the £200 million mark.

TheReligion

Abusive
Too many times we have tried to save a few million by negotiating and then negotiating some more even though we know the selling club want a certain figure or they won't sell. The majority of those times, we've lost out on the player and had to settle for a second/third rate alternative or (more commonly) no alternative.
We were being laughed at in September for not addressing our glaring weakness and as Liverpool fans, we were questioning Klopps sanity for going into the season with Lovren and Matip as our starting CB's.
We can' have it both ways. We've paid an almighty fee but we have not tried to lowball and eventually miss out altogether. We've done what we have seen Mourinho do plenty of times and just pay what it takes to get a player in to address a weakness. That kind of recruitment is not pretty on the chequebook but much more effective and it's something that none of us as Liverpool fans have seen under FSG.
Klopp was obviously told that a deal could be struck for VVD in January so I'm glad we didn't go for an alternative that would need replacing in a year. Quite happy with our business and looking forward to seeing him in a Liverpool shirt
I don't think anyone here denies he's a good player that improves you however it would be nice if some of you, including your own hypocrite of a manager, accepted he's vastly overpriced given what you're getting.

You were all quick to jump on the Pogba deal when now it looks great value in comparison to VVD when you consider the age, talent and marketability Pogba has.

TheReligion

Abusive
The fact Klopp has come out and played down the fee means he's well aware it's ridiculous for a player of VVDs calibre.

Dr. StrangeHate

Neymar at £200 million seems alright now. So there are clubs with players potentially costing more than the price of the whole club a few years back.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's a good defender but paying £75 million for a "Good" Defender is just wow :eek:.

Moonred

Being a hypocrite or paying gazillions for a player are merely minor talking points. Football business isn’t a paragon for moral values. Is he good enough to fix liverpool’s Leaky defence? Possibly he will improve them but unless Liverpool are also keeping hold of Coutinho, overall, this transaction seems to be offset by the eventual loss of a much more talented and important player. Doubt Pool is going to be any better than what they are currently.

coventry red

Supports
Liverpool
Wow this TheReligion fella is a bit much.
Like some kind of football forum Torquemada.
I think the scousers can comfortably afford to spend this money now - they've spent the grand sum of £26m net until this signing under klopp.
The crazy money they'll get for coutinho next summer will pay for keita and some other very expensive attacker who'll odds on turn out to be good given his eye for attacking talent. Probably pick up a couple of free signings too to replace Can and Coutinho and I doubt the terrible Henderson and Wijnaldum will be starting much.
Worrying that they seem to be addressing their obvious flaws. Their squad will be pretty good next year.

(I'm up to my post count for the day so won't be able to reply to any comments - still need likes and posts although I'll probably struggle to get any likes unless I abandon my rational opinions and wrap a superfan scarf around my wrist)

Last edited:

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
Well done for Southampton, they are one of the best in England when it comes at selling their best players.

Terrible business for the scousers for me.

Cliche Guevara

I don't think anyone here denies he's a good player that improves you however it would be nice if some of you, including your own hypocrite of a manager, accepted he's vastly overpriced given what you're getting.

You were all quick to jump on the Pogba deal when now it looks great value in comparison to VVD when you consider the age, talent and marketability Pogba has.
Additionally, they’ve paid about £20m more than they needed to because they were so thoroughly unprofessional in the summer. Possibly risking a transfer ban.

This isn’t even the market talking, it’s Liverpool paying hush money.

owlo

I think the scousers can comfortably afford to spend this money now - they've spent the grand sum of £26m net until this signing under klopp.
The crazy money they'll get for coutinho next summer will pay for keita and some other very expensive attacker who'll odds on turn out to be good given his eye for attacking talent. Probably pick up a couple of free signings too to replace Can and Coutinho and I doubt the terrible Henderson and Wijnaldum will be starting much.
Worrying that they seem to be addressing their obvious flaws. Their squad will be pretty good next year.

(I'm up to my post count for the day so won't be able to reply to any comments - still need likes and posts although I'll probably struggle to get any likes unless I abandon my rational opinions and wrap a superfan scarf around my wrist)
Or perhaps just post less drivel? Your post is literally conjecture built upon more conjecture. There's no debate to be had with it, and it doesn't promote discussion as it has no substance.

Assertions:

You think they can afford to spend lots
They will get crazy money for coutinho in summer
They will get another crazy good attacker because of klopps eyes for talent
They will get free signings to replace can and coutino
The terrible henderson and wijnaldum won't be starting

Conclusions based upon these 'facts'

You are worried they are addressing their obvious flaws
Their squad will be good next year

Your idea of rational opinion is my idea of nonsense, and that's coming from another noob.

TheReligion

Abusive

Or perhaps just post less drivel? Your post is literally conjecture built upon more conjecture. There's no debate to be had with it, and it doesn't promote discussion as it has no substance.

Assertions:

Your idea of rational opinion is my idea of nonsense, and that's coming from another noob.
Ouch. :lol:

Couldn't have put it better myself @owlo.

To top it off he asks for likes at the end too! The cheek of the man.

Trizy

Good player on his day but £75m? Market hasn't calmed down then like we were hoping for.

Dutchjerry

And lets not forget, he didn't play any match on world class level yet, this season is not his best, so yeah, it's way too much. But on the other hand, it's just plain market dynamics with Walker setting the bar for defenders. Also Liverpool didn't want to take any risk anymore and decided to just pay. He will have to cope with the pressure of his fee. But compliments to him, considering his late discovery aged 19 and now he is worlds most expensive defender.

peridigm

So is he going to play against us Saturday? Can’t imagine they’d want to risk anything with a pending sale.

If he does play I fully expect him to have the game of his life.

coventry red

Supports
Liverpool

Assertions:

Your dialectic is piss poor to be honest but it'll get you "in" with the superfan posters so well done.
TheReligion is an awful poster but a great zealot.

Net spend under Klopp is £108m including Van Dijk in 5 transfer windows.
Now add £60m next window Keita making it £168m
When Coutinho goes they'll get at least the £114m they rejected last window.
Net spend now £54m

Lemar linked at 80-90m
Goretzka and several other young talents linked on frees.
His three attacking signings so far have been excellent business.Last year the caf was saying Mane was better than an overrated Coutinho,
Salah's value has doubled in months and if Solanke doesn't make it they'll still make a good profit on him.
Then there's Origi,Ings,Sturridge,Lovren (lol) and other assorted rubbish that they'll ship out and probably get good money for.

Even if they spend most of the Coutinho money on one other player I'd say they could probably quite comfortably afford another £50m+signing.
If you disagree that they can afford this fine - but show your workings instead of just superfanning.
It doesn't make pretty reading but they're building up a good team on the cheap.
Hopefully they'll still win nothing though.
I'm worried because they are scoring for fun and now shoring up their leaky defence while planning an overhaul of their mediocre midfield - all without spending beyond their means. To deny that is to be as delusional as them.

Last edited:

Dutchjerry

He won't play, according to Dutch media he's going to make his debut against Everton.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool

- We (LFC supporters and Klopp) actually laughed at the fee for Pogba, not Lukaku. Lukaku was known to be going for the price you have mentioned. And you guys only bought him after Madrid kept increasing the price of Morata week after week. Is that not the truth?
- Would Chiellini or Ramos move to Liverpool?
- What other options do you think we could have gone for? (Genuine question)
- What do you mean by 'backfired'? What exactly has 'backfired'? Yes he made a comment that he would never spend that much (I've read it almost every other post here), but in the end, he spent money that the owners were willing to spend. What 'backfired'?

Klopp was coveting this defender in the summer and now has got him. Do I think we overpaid? Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.