Virgil van Dijk | OFFICIAL: Liverpool agree £75m fee (£70m upfront) with Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1

Think Liverpool could be a force next season, they are scary good now going forward, probably the best team in England attacking wise and with Van Dijk coming in along with Keita coming in the summer, have to say on paper all their weaknesses are being sorted.

Bojan11

Think Liverpool could be a force next season, they are scary good now going forward, probably the best team in England attacking wise and with Van Dijk coming in along with Keita coming in the summer, have to say on paper all their weaknesses are being sorted.
I rather they lose Coutinho and sign those two, so not sure they’d be a force. Once Coutinho leaves, hopefully there’s a knock on effect to Firminho as his best friends left.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yes, the GK position is a tough one. Klopp already tried an upgrade with Karius and it didn't go well.
Personally I don't think Klopp handled this well, benching Karius because of public pressure. The time to give him a run even in face of patchy performances was then, it's passed now, and Karius has looked shaky ever since.
(obviously I can't know for sure whether it was indeed the public criticism which led Klopp to take Karius out of the team, or bad training performances)
Mignolet had seemed to step up and he has been pretty great, mostly, but he has the uncanny trait of letting his team down badly in rare, but really decisive moments. The Arsenal game blunder was one such moment.

However, it's not easy or simple to get a clear upgrade just like that.
If Koeln get relegated (which they will), Timo Horn should be leaving in summer and Klopp might go for him. I'm not sure about suitable candidates from other leagues.
He should give Karius another go, I know he does in Europe, but I mean give him another go as the first choice goalkeeper. He's a really good goalie, not sure what happened to him last season when he seemed to be so drained of confidence, when he was at Mainz, his confidence was part of his strengths, so it was strange to see him so affected. Given time he surely would be better than Mignolet.

Virgil van Dijk is a really good player, but that fee is mad, but I suppose many fees in the premier league are in that category, I'm just not quite used to it yet! Give me another year or so!

Bratt

Wow, that’s a lot!
Didn’t Klopp say he would never ever spend such a big amount on one player?

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Elite?

Wouldn’t go that far. He couldn’t even displace Ron Vlaar out of the Dutch team.

I think he’s a good defender who you have overpaid massively for. But he’s certainly not elite.
I can't think of another defender we could sign with his combination of physical and technical attributes. He has everything to be one of the best around. Reminds me of when Utd signed Ferdinand.

Bojan11

I can't think of another defender we could sign with his combination of physical and technical attributes. He has everything to be one of the best around. Reminds me of when Utd signed Ferdinand.
No it’s not.

Rio was one of the best and proved that in a World Cup where in a era there were a lot of great defenders about.

Van Dijk is 27 and spent most of his time in a Mickey Mouse league. He hasn’t basically played for a year and he couldn’t even get in a crap Holland team.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Their weaknesses are down to tactics and organisation. He's a very very good defender and I think people will realise that soon enough.

I don't think they'll be a force because of him.

Edit: he promised VVD captaincy in the summer as well. I'm amazed they've bewitched him. He could play for better clubs.

Kapardin

Still wondering how Klopp brainwashed him to join them even over the likes of Chelsea and City who have won the league in recent times, considering we knew both wanted him as well.

SammyUnited_83

I don't get this place. We take the piss about their CBs, now they have one of the best in the league, we still take the piss.

Brilliant signing, regardless of money. We bought Lindelof for 30ish...

TRD

£75M. By looking at the market right now, I think we got Bailey for a bargain price. I remember when we signed him, many Liverpool fans were laughing that we paid too much for him. But know I am laughing at them as they are wasting 75 millions.

And at the back, he will be proved as good as Lukaku.

shaky

On paper is a very different thing to reality though. On paper, we've bought similarly high-regarded players for most of our weak positions over the past 4-5 years.

Mister_Stubbs

First big move of the window made, I think we’ll see a few this January made by the big clubs.

Still, £75m for a bloke that hasn’t played much this season is bonkers, saints have took Liverpool to the cleaners there!

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
He’s much MUCH better than they’ve got. Not worth the price, but it’s Barca’s wad they’re blowing

AshRK

This deal is making Pogba's and Lukaku's deal look like a bargain. Another time Klopp made to look like a hypocrite.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It's crazy money, but no one will care if he is a good signing.

Ferdinand took a while to justify his fee (30m was insane in 2002), but it wasn't a talking point even then as he was still good enough.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
This deal is making Pogba's and Lukaku's deal look like a bargain. Another time Klopp made to look like a hypocrite.
Lukaku will never be a bargain at 75m.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Not nearly close.
Both fullback positions are still weak, one promising kid each is not enough. GK is a problem. CB is still a problem as all of Lovren, Matip and Klavan are mediocre at best.
Central midfield is rather poor. Can will leave and Keita is certainly an upgrade on him, but even then besides Henderson all of Liverpool's midfielders will be b2bs or even more attacking than b2b, and Henderson isn't exactly Busquets.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Find it hard to believe that if he was as good as people are saying Liverpool were able to get him without much competition. Why didn't a perennial title challenger scoop him up?
You're really lashing out uncontrollably here. It's good to see. :D

For reference to Keita, and no one picking him up, see Coutinho, Suarez, Mane and the most famous recent reject: Salah.

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
I'd snap their hands off for that money.
VvD has not played that well this season but, then again no Saints player has. He's a far better player then he's showing at the moment though.
Still they wont want any other of our players as there aren't any good ones left!

Status
Not open for further replies.