Virgil van Dijk | OFFICIAL: Liverpool agree £75m fee (£70m upfront) with Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Southampton is fast becoming Liverpool's feeder club.
Becoming?

14/15: Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren & Rickie Lambert
15/16: Nathaniel Clyne
16/17: Sadio Mané
17/18: Virgin van Dijk

They're well and truly Liverpool's feeder club. 6 players in four seasons.

Alabaster Codify7

I thought Klopp would quit football if he ever had to spend Pogba-level money on a player?
He's spent £70million on one player TWICE since that comment, in the space of a few months! One would think it was just sour grapes and being bitter coz his own board wouldn't give him said Pogba-level money.....now they have, happy days!

Seriously though, its a good signing, one they drastically needed. Keita as well. VVD will spur them onto a strong second half of the season, IMO....quite a worrying signing.

Klopp is a massive weapon though.

Ban

Becoming?

14/15: Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren & Rickie Lambert
15/16: Nathaniel Clyne
16/17: Sadio Mané
17/18: Virgin van Dijk

They're well and truly Liverpool's feeder club. 6 players in four seasons.
Ridiculous.

Fridge chutney

He's lost us a fair amount of points lately too.

Lukaku looks nothing like a 75 million striker. I doubt he will anytime soon.

Van Djik could end up having a greater, positive, impact for Liverpool than Lukaku for United. Let's not laugh too soon - he goes a long way to filling a major gap in Liverpool's team.
But we are better off with him this year than we were last year without him. That's the point. He's only 24. To write him off now saying he'll never be worth the money (especially with his goal record in england) is laughably short sighted.

As for me laughing at Liverpool, I have stated already numerous times that I think VVD is an excellent signing.

Zoo

I don't get this place. We take the piss about their CBs, now they have one of the best in the league, we still take the piss.

Brilliant signing, regardless of money. We bought Lindelof for 30ish...
So? Lindelof has shown his calibre in the CL and for his country.

Suedesi

• Holland defender will be most expensive defender in football history
• Liverpool had wanted to sign Van Dijk last summer for £60m

Ho Lee Meow

Wessex Saint

Supports
Southampton
As a Saints supporter, I am somewhat ambivalent about all this. I guess that it is my general ambivalence towards football and the PL in particular that is driving my ambivalence towards this transfer. For players may come and players may go, but clubs go on forever (sorry for the butchering of Alfred Lord Tennyson's words!).

The things that I find depressing are:

1) The player and his agent have behaved like complete tools. And the footballing world just thinks that this sort of behaviour is OK and that there is nothing wrong with it. I guess that at least he kept his mouth shut after the last window closed. I would have been happier if SFC had turned around and said he was acting like a twat, and put him on gardening leave like any other company would have. But no, he is an asset and we can't possibly harm that. feck our principles.
2) LFC's behaviour in the summer (and leading up to it) was well out of order. If only they had gone about it the right way, they could have saved themselves a lot of hassle and probably £25-30m. The arrogance involved was somewhat unappealing.
3) The ridiculous sums of money that are involved.

It is point 3 that is killing my interest in football. I have been going to Saints since the mid 1970s and now I can hardly muster the enthusiasm of going. Football has no redeeming features about it and I am half tempted to go and support my local non-league club. Maybe it is an age thing, but I feel that me and football have travelled a diverging path for too long and we are now out of sight of each other.

Anyway. Good luck to the lad, and it looks like Liverpool are BUYING themselves a good team.

Money, money, money. Its killed the game for me, and yes, Saints are part of it even if a long way behind the big boys.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I thought Klopp would quit football if he ever had to spend Pogba-level money on a player?
He's spent £70million on one player TWICE since that comment, in the space of a few months! One would think it was just sour grapes and being bitter coz his own board wouldn't give him said Pogba-level money.....now they have, happy days!

Seriously though, its a good signing, one they drastically needed. Keita as well. VVD will spur them onto a strong second half of the season, IMO....quite a worrying signing.

Klopp is a massive weapon though.
I want him to stay though.

SammyUnited_83

Yes and we paid 35mil which is a feck load of money for a player not proven in the PL.

VVD is a well established Prem player bought by a team in he same league. It's great business by both clubs. He's better than anything we have.

beingshe7don

If they lose Can and Coutinho, their squad is still very thin.
Klopp is moving to produce a really quick on the break Liverpool team and Naby Keita provides that in place of Coutinho. They will be very difficult to stop on the counter attack with Mane, Salah, Keita and Firmino. They are just one striker and goalkeeper away from being a team that could challenge for the title. If they could get Aubameyang and a quality goalkeeper like Trapp from PSG, they could pose a title challenge to City next season. Coutinho has been good but Liverpool have shown that they don't really need Coutinho for them to score goals. Great piece of business from Liverpool. They addressed one of their biggest weaknesses.

United really need to spend if they need to be title contenders next season. City are already miles ahead, Liverpool and Chelsea will also strengthen and they already play better football than we do at the moment. These are worrying times for United. We need to go big in January. We can't expect to buy a lot more players in the summer with the shortened transfer window and World Cup.

diarm

It's a lot of money and it may well mean Coutinho is on his way out, but a Liverpool side playing counter attacking football with Salah, Mane and Firmino ahead of Keira and Van Dijk in a 433 looks a hell of a lot better than Coutinho in a 4231 ahead of Henderson and Can.

If they replaced Henderson with a proper footballer and poached one of Heston or Pope from Burnley I'd be worried about them next year.

If you want to compete in modern football you've got to spend. They're spending and bringing in quality.

podurban2

I’m not impressed, ok if they were a great team with a few minor adjustments, but they need to invest way more to challenge for the title. I’m just not sure this will be what they need in the long-run.

willowisp

I watched him play for celtic. He's very quick which gets him out of the bother caused by his bad positional play. I don't think he's someone who will be seen as a world class defender. He'll help sort out pool's set piece problems, but they need a goalkeeper first and foremost.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Yup. Liverpool is already a title candidate for next season.
There are way too many variables between now and then to make such a call.

Finding the overrating of VVD quite hilarious.

He’s a good player but people are talking as though it’ll have a transformative impact on Liverpool’s entire team - they still have some absolute dross in their back line and a manager who doesn’t seem great at organising a defensive unit.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
Is either of them really that great? I don't think so.
Is any Liverpool player that great according to some on this board? I don't think so. Amazing that your manager moans about spending 300 million as not enough, and yet there is a meltdown for us spending 70 million.

Do I think he's worth that much? No. Will he improve our defense? I certainly hope so. I don't understand why LFC spending that much on one player is grinding so many of your gears.

As far as GK goes, Kevin Trapp from PSG is being linked. I personally would put a 'Going out of business sale' or a 'clearance' tag on Mignolet and trick someone to take him off our hands. Now if we can get De Vrij on a free next year, our back 4 will have considerably improved.

Zoo

Yes and we paid 35mil which is a feck load of money for a player not proven in the PL.

VVD is a well established Prem player bought by a team in he same league. It's great business by both clubs. He's better than anything we have.
It’s a rip off no CB in this league is worth that much.

Macern

Pee pee pants

Nah, Bailly is just as good if not better.

The Swellhead

Fantastic signing, but one player will not change the way the whole team defends, a system change would help

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Ridiculous.
And only the last two will be undisputed starters. Lambert and Lovren were flops, while Lallana and Clyne fell down the pecking order due to injury. Clyne might start again when he's back but TAA and Gomez have done fine in his absence.

IrishMcD

As a Saints supporter, I am somewhat ambivalent about all this. I guess that it is my general ambivalence towards football and the PL in particular that is driving my ambivalence towards this transfer. For players may come and players may go, but clubs go on forever (sorry for the butchering of Alfred Lord Tennyson's words!).

1) The player and his agent have behaved like complete tools. And the footballing world just thinks that this sort of behaviour is OK and that there is nothing wrong with it. I guess that at least he kept his mouth shut after the last window closed. I would have been happier if SFC had turned around and said he was acting like a twat, and put him on gardening leave like any other company would have. But no, he is an asset and we can't possibly harm that. feck our principles.
2) LFC's behaviour in the summer (and leading up to it) was well out of order. If only they had gone about it the right way, they could have saved themselves a lot of hassle and probably £25-30m. The arrogance involved was somewhat unappealing.

It is point 3 that is killing my interest in football. I have been going to Saints since the mid 1970s and now I can hardly muster the enthusiasm of going. Football has no redeeming features about it and I am half tempted to go and support my local non-league club. Maybe it is an age thing, but I feel that me and football have travelled a diverging path for too long and we are now out of sight of each other.

Anyway. Good luck to the lad, and it looks like Liverpool are BUYING themselves a good team.

Money, money, money. Its killed the game for me, and yes, Saints are part of it even if a long way behind the big boys.
Myself and my mates have been the exact same discussion in recent years. Couldn't agree more with you, football is just so hard to get enthusiastic about anymore. Between money hungry agents and social media loving players, I think I have fallen out of love with it. Maybe, like you mentioned above, its just an age thing.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
I assume it will come out to something like this eventually

150M Coutinho
25M Sturridge

90M Lemar
80M VVD
75M Keita

Net spend: 70M

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really not arsed, don’t think he’s great. Better than their current lot though I suppose.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
There are way too many variables between now and then to make such a call.

Finding the overrating of VVD quite hilarious.

He’s a good player but people are talking as though it’ll have a transformative impact on Liverpool’s entire team - they still have some absolute dross in their back line and a manager who doesn’t seem great at organising a defensive unit.
Don't think he's serious :)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Good signing. Crazy price but that seems unavoidable these days, specially considering how obvious it is Liverpool needed a defender.

patty123

And what has he shown for us ? Sadly unlike Evra and Vidic he doesn't seem to be improving and to be honest, looks rather like a deer with a broken leg staring down a 40 footers headlights.

Fridge chutney

Excellent post. Well said and hard to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.