Virgil van Dijk | OFFICIAL: Liverpool agree £75m fee (£70m upfront) with Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepsiCola

That was LVG. I honestly think Jose would have bought him
Mane transferred when Mourinho started as manager no? Many linked him to us whilst under LvG - had he stayed it's not beyond belief we'd have been in for Mane.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Klopp is moving to produce a really quick on the break Liverpool team and Naby Keita provides that in place of Coutinho. They will be very difficult to stop on the counter attack with Mane, Salah, Keita and Firmino. They are just one striker and goalkeeper away from being a team that could challenge for the title. If they could get Aubameyang and a quality goalkeeper like Trapp from PSG, they could pose a title challenge to City next season. Coutinho has been good but Liverpool have shown that they don't really need Coutinho for them to score goals. Great piece of business from Liverpool. They addressed one of their biggest weaknesses.

United really need to spend if they need to be title contenders next season. City are already miles ahead, Liverpool and Chelsea will also strengthen and they already play better football than we do at the moment. These are worrying times for United. We need to go big in January. We can't expect to buy a lot more players in the summer with the shortened transfer window and World Cup.
I'm guessing you have never watched Keita play? He's not even comparable to Coutinho. Liverpool won't make it to Champions League next season without Coutinho.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Good signing. Crazy price but that seems unavoidable these days, specially considering how obvious it is Liverpool needed a defender.
Could have been £10M cheaper if they hadn't pissed off Southampton last summer but suppose £10M isn't that much in this market.
That was LVG. I honestly think Jose would have bought him
Why? We were most linked to him when LVG was manager. We signed Bailly under Mourinho before Liverpool signed Mane.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Becoming?

14/15: Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren & Rickie Lambert
15/16: Nathaniel Clyne
16/17: Sadio Mané
17/18: Virgin van Dijk

They're well and truly Liverpool's feeder club. 6 players in four seasons.
Think that fountain of talent has well and truly been drained.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Mane transferred when Mourinho started as manager no? Many linked him to us whilst under LvG - had he stayed it's not beyond belief we'd have been in for Mane.
In which case I'm glad LVG was fired. Mane or no Mane

Sjaakmeoff

For that money you can get 2 Davinson Sanchez's
You could buy Zidane and buy a villa
You could buy 84 mio Frenkie de Jong's

Or pay about 10 mio more and get Caldara, Lemos, Laporte & Iñigo Martínez and don't have to play one major investment next to Klavan, Moreno and Lovren.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Regarding the money involved of course is too much, don't even think VVD is amongst the best in the world regarding his position, anyway with him and Keita for next season, if they only sell Coutinho for next season also if they can bring anyone decent to cover Coutinho then I believe these 2 players are well suited for the type of football Klopp pretends at Liverpool.

Probably means Klopp will stay 1 more season at least, only if they have a massive fall untill the end of the season, curious to see how they will handle with Porto too, I see a lot of optimism on their part but actually Porto is better than Sevilla imo.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
Makes me grateful to have Christensen who was free. What steal Rudiger was too. Fees are going mad.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
When you think walker went for what, 50m, and he's a far better player they are definitely paying over the odds!
As much as I hate City, VVD is not far better than Walker. Especially not £25 million better. If this season is anything to go buy then Walker is the better player.

What more illustrious rivals are there than Liverpool in the Premier League? Manchester United are a par, albeit with bigger money. The rest are just plastic oil clubs.
Liverpool may have been illiustrious 30 years ago but they are not that illustrious now. How many years ot not winning league titles does it have to be before a team stops being illustrious? Because 30 years is a long time. But not a chance are they as illustrious as United, a team that won the league less than 5 years ago and have had 3 trophies in that time.

Regardless of them being a plastic club, more players will be drawn to Chelsea than Liverpool just because they will be seen as a bigger club to young players. Because they have actually been very successful in the last 10 years or so. Liverpool not so much.

Ban

And what has he shown for us ? Sadly unlike Evra and Vidic he doesn't seem to be improving and to be honest, looks rather like a deer with a broken leg staring down a 40 footers headlights.
He has been steadily improving.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I have no idea why he's so highly rated. Part of a poor Southampton defence, a remarkably poor Dutch defence and is now the most expensive defender in history by some margin.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Am I allowed to point out that Bailly cost £30m without being branded bitter? A fit Jones is also a better centre half.

tomaldinho1

Kind of feel they just paid whatever was needed to 'beat' City, which will fill the fans with pride but probably masks the fact Coutinho is off in the summer.

beingshe7don

I'm guessing you have never watched Keita play? He's not even comparable to Coutinho. Liverpool won't make it to Champions League next season without Coutinho.
Coutinho is obviously the better player and I'm not comparing the players but rather the system in which Klopp intends to have them play. Keita would offer more aggression and drive in midfield to compensate for the quality that Coutinho possesses. You've got to compare the system and how the team plays at the end of the day. I think Liverpool will make Champions League next season without Coutinho. They didn't need to rely on Coutinho for the first 2-3 months or so.

Ban

So poor Lindelof is the newest victim of underrating our and overrating rivals' additions by our own fans.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Yes, a defense made up of average defenders has the best defensive record in the league
That’s true, yes, but their defenders are individually average besides Kompany on his day.

Bwuk

Between him and Keita, that’s the Coutinho money spent.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Christ, even worse than I thought, I was thinking 75 million euros not pounds, adjusted to euros is something like 85 million, if one sees Bonucci in the Summer was something like 35 or 40, ok he isn't having a great season, no way VVD is twice the player Bonucci is, England has gone crazy tbh.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
So poor Lindelof is the newest victim of underrating our and overrating rivals' additions by our own fans.
To be fair, I’m feeling well negative about United at the moment, but criticising Lindelof is a joke. The poor cnut has played less than 20 games :lol:

Ban

To be fair, I’m feeling well negative about United at the moment, but criticising Lindelof is a joke. The poor cnut has played less than 20 games :lol:
It's cafe for you these days.

Liverpool is leading us 1:0.

Lets panic.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Has he not played much for Southampton this season? They have let in more goals that Liverpool. Why is he the second coming?

beingshe7don

Am I allowed to point out that Bailly cost £30m without being branded bitter? A fit Jones is also a better centre half.
By that logic, Liverpool could also say that they spent £8m on Coutinho and we spent £89m on Pogba and they spent £40m on Salah and we spent £80m on Lukaku.

Van Dijk is a ball playing CB and Bailly and Jones are not. They spent wisely and addressed their issues which we haven't. For three seasons now, we should have addressed the LB issue and we haven't. Let's give our competitors some credit when they deserve it instead of criticizing them. We could learn a thing or two and this could be a wake up call for Mourinho and Woodward.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
By that logic, Liverpool could also say that they spent £8m on Coutinho and we spent £89m on Pogba and they spent £40m on Salah and we spent £80m on Lukaku.

Van Dijk is a ball playing CB and Bailly and Jones are not. They spent wisely and addressed their issues which we haven't. For three seasons now, we should have addressed the LB issue and we haven't. Let's give our competitors some credit when they deserve it instead of criticizing them. We could learn a thing or two and this could be a wake up call for Mourinho and Woodward.
I’d genuinely rather Bailly / Jones over VVD having watched them all at length.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
£75m:lol:, just shows what a joke the transfer market is at the moment. If clubs are stupid enough to pay these prices, they will keep increasing.
I've got news for you buddy.
The prices of players are going to rise. The only way is up.
Why? Because TV companies will keep paying more and more money for the broadcasting rights to football matches.
£75 is good business in today's market.
A top CB in 5 years, will most likely cost £100M+.

Status
Not open for further replies.