Virgil van Dijk | OFFICIAL: Liverpool agree £75m fee (£70m upfront) with Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Think throwing Mignolet in would raise the price? :)

VVD would be a good buy for you (not sure about price but game's gone mad?)
I'm just sick of watching the same shite again and again. I love the football we play but it doesn't make tossing games like that any less dis heartening. Karius in net and VVD in on the 1st.

Bwuk

No he isn’t.
He is and comfortably. Another annoyingly obvious signing we should of made when he was at Celtic.

There's a reason teams are rumoured to be bidding 60/70m for him. You'd be lucky to get anywhere near half that for any of our lot.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He is and comfortably. Another annoyingly obvious signing we should of made when he was at Celtic.

There's a reason teams are rumoured to be bidding 60/70m for him. You'd be lucky to get anywhere near half that for any of our lot.
He might be better than all of our CBs but, we are fine at the CB position regardless. And judging a player's quality by how big of a transfer fee they would go for is one of the sillier things people do on here.

M Bison

Supports
York City
No... I'm not. Quote me (or read my above comment about what I actually think about him?)
Your OP says he’s not so good, which I disagree with. He is good.

Back to the question, signing VVD would be a ridiculous move and I’d question the sanity of Jose and the board if they signed another defender. We need investment in midfield and final 3rd, not at CB.

Didn’t VVD get dropped last weekend too?

Kostov

If VVD is worth 60/70m, Bailly is worth 100m. And no he isn't comfortably better than any of our CB.

Jaybomb

I remember I said Van Gaal should sign him when he was at Celtic and everyone laughed at me. Said he wouldn’t be Premier League quality.

He was only worth about 5-10m back then and now he’s worth 80.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I dont really watch Southampton, but is Virgil really that good? I mean sure he’s strong and fast, but what makes him so special that ll top sides on the planet allegedly want to break the bank for him?

Besides, United don’t need another CB imho.

Kostov

I dont really watch Southampton, but is Virgil really that good? I mean sure he’s strong and fast, but what makes him so special that ll top sides on the planet allegedly want to break the bank for him?

Besides, United don’t need another CB imho.
Whenever I've watched Southampton I haven't been impressed, and that is not based on this season where he is outperformed by Maya Yoshida, I mean since he has been in the PL. He is good on the ball and good physically, but nothing that screams a 60-70m CB. Ultimately I think he would fit in a Pep team since they don't defend much anyway, but he is being overrated on here in my opinion.

United Pro

I remember I said Van Gaal should sign him when he was at Celtic and everyone laughed at me. Said he wouldn’t be Premier League quality.

He was only worth about 5-10m back then and now he’s worth 80.
Yeah I remember that thread. Most on there said that we should wait until he performs in the premier league before judging whether he's good enough. The problem with that stance is that if he does prove himself, his transfer value goes through the roof. That's perhaps why we're reportedly moving for Ryan Sessegnon now, before he potentially makes a name for himself in the league elsewhere.

salford_

Not worth anywhere near the rumoured fee, he is worth half at most. Hes a good CB with good technical ability too, but £60-70m? feck off.
Sorry but when Milan are signing a better (albeit older) CB in Bonucci for like £30m, it is hilarious to see this VVD fee.

VVD isnt even the best CB in the prem, so I dread to think of what the better ones are worth.

FWIW, I don't think he will go to Liverpool in Jan, i just cant see them splashing £60m on VVD when Klopp said week or 2 back he isn't really looking for signings in Jan, there are players in the squad who can do variety of jobs. Everything points to City for me. Pep wants a Cb he has said publicly, they'll spend silly money and pay way over the odds as proven, and just as the rumours start; VVD is left out of squads. Too obvious IMO.

If i was VVD i'd pick Liverpool given the option though

Bojan11

He hasn’t done anything for a year, so I’m surprised the fee is so high.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
CB is the only area alongside goalkeeper where a signing (especially a expensive one) doesn't make any sense. We have 5 CBs plus Tuanzebe, we just signed 2 young CBs, we should probably give them time to settle and get over injuries. There are areas where we have not even one great option atm or where we barely have any depth, we should fix those.

United Pro

Southampton reportedly want £70m for Van Dijk (ESPN). The fee is getting a bit ridiculous now.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Not worth anywhere near the rumoured fee, he is worth half at most. Hes a good CB with good technical ability too, but £60-70m? feck off.
Sorry but when Milan are signing a better (albeit older) CB in Bonucci for like £30m, it is hilarious to see this VVD fee.

VVD isnt even the best CB in the prem, so I dread to think of what the better ones are worth.

FWIW, I don't think he will go to Liverpool in Jan, i just cant see them splashing £60m on VVD when Klopp said week or 2 back he isn't really looking for signings in Jan, there are players in the squad who can do variety of jobs. Everything points to City for me. Pep wants a Cb he has said publicly, they'll spend silly money and pay way over the odds as proven, and just as the rumours start; VVD is left out of squads. Too obvious IMO.

If i was VVD i'd pick Liverpool given the option though
Absolutely not. He'd be a starter for City, in a team winning trophies and where he won't even have to do that much defending. Why on Earth would he choose Liverpool then?

izec

I would take him if the fee was 50m max. He could be sensational with Bailly and with Bailly and one of Jones/Smalling/Lindelöf in a back 3

Robbie Boy

He's been atrocious when he's played this season. Obviously he wants out but still. I've always been a huge fan since his Celtic days but even I'll admit that he's become overrated beyond belief.

Scholsey2004

Pointless spending huge money on a centre back when our attack is our weak area. We need to score more.

Inter Yer Nan

He's solid, but nothing special. I wouldn't concern myself one bit if he went to City or Liverpool and I'd be disappointed to spend even half of the fee quoted on him. Gimenez could potentially be available for probably less than 20m given that his contract is running down and he's better, younger and a much better injury record.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He hasn't been great since he was injured but then I think he's down tooled because he didn't get his move. I imagine under Pep he will turn into 1 of the best in the league. He and Stones + Otamendi will be a great set of footballing CB's.

Fact is though we can't afford 50/60m on a CB, we need to use it for RW and LB/RB

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Just a question .... no need to be Mr Sarky :nono:. Presume you know our budget then?

Note OP does not say we haven't got ENOUGH defenders just maybe not enough DECENT defenders. Name a title winning side with average defenders.... Leicester is the exception?

Ho ho ho....

A nice polite reply with a rationale.... thanks. (Manners cost nothing eh?)
City 2017/18.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
I'd bet good money that Liverpool will still struggle defensively even with VVD.

Cathy Ferguson

Crazy market. I am happy with the way Jones and Smalling have performed this season, and Bailly is also a great player.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Crazy money but it's a crazy market. Can't moan that the club are finally showing some serious ambition with circa £125m to be spent on Keita and VVD.

PoTMS

Feck sake, VVD and Keita now. Granted, VVD isn’t worth half of the fee, however Keita most definitely is. They’ve got two brilliant players in their prime. How the feck are Liverpool attracting these players over their more illustrious rivals? Liverpool could seriously mount a title challenge next season.

Oldyella

Liverpool in signing Saints player shocker.

Thats a crazy fee though. Wonder if they have tacked on some extra to avoid more claims of tapping up?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Feck sake, VVD and Keita now. Granted, VVD isn’t worth half of the fee, however Keita most definitely is. They’ve got two brilliant players in their prime. How the feck are Liverpool attracting these players over their more illustrious rivals? Liverpool could seriously challenge next season.
Hard to beat a trip to Blackpool and a ride on the Big Dipper.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Feck sake, VVD and Keita now. Granted, VVD isn’t worth half of the fee, however Keita most definitely is. They’ve got two brilliant players in their prime. How the feck are Liverpool attracting these players over their more illustrious rivals? Liverpool could seriously mount a title challenge next season.
Which other top clubs would pay these silly fees for players who aren't at the very top level?

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Which other top clubs would pay these silly fees for players who aren't at the very top level?
I reckon a lot of clubs would pay what they paid for Keita. He will be brilliant for them.

VVD price is out of this world though, but nothing amazes me anymore when it comes to transfers.

ash_86

Haha.. Looks like the've already started spending coutinho money

Status
Not open for further replies.