Virgil van Dijk | Performances

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He's a good defender and that's about it. Nowhere near world class, and would probably be someone you'd upgrade if you wanted to build the best team you could. The reality is that Liverpool paid well over the odds for him because of the tapping up debacle, and now the fans are trying to make him out to be someone he isnt.

It's John Stones all over again, makes game changing mistakes too often, but people are trying to turn him into a better player by sheer force of will. Liverpool fans will slowly realize this, when Lovren is no longer in the team to make everyone other defender look good.

Jayus20

Supports
Liverpool
He's a good defender and that's about it. Nowhere near world class, and would probably be someone you'd upgrade if you wanted to build the best team you could. The reality is that Liverpool paid well over the odds for him because of the tapping up debacle, and now the fans are trying to make him out to be someone he isnt.

It's John Stones all over again, makes game changing mistakes too often, but people are trying to turn him into a better player by sheer force of will. Liverpool fans will slowly realize this, when Lovren is no longer in the team to make everyone other defender look good.
Honestly not even sure why you're commenting on this thread anymore when you proved in your last message you don't even watch us much or watch him much. I get you're a United fan so it's standard to attempt to put Liverpool players down but maybe try and do that by using the truth instead of just making up rubbish and making yourself look silly in the process.

I guess by your logic Bailly must be a player you'd upgrade if you wanted to build the best team you could as well seeing as according to Squawka they've made the same number of errors this year (1) and that's apparently the basis of your non existent argument of why Van Dijk isn't that good.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Ironic

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think this is a bit overstated by Liverpool fans, probably because of Mignolet's blunders and perhaps being worse last season. This season Liverpool haven't been bad defending set pieces and you've conceded almost as many from penalties.
Based on what I’ve seen of us this season, we’ve been better defensively with Van Dijk than we were without him.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool

Trolls will troll

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
[QUOTE="Sylar, post: 22367999, member: 26997"]I think not having Mignolet is also a good thing. Im still not sure about Karius but maybe with time he will get there (dont know too much about him). But Mignolet is not a goalkeeper you want behind you if youre a defender.[/QUOTE]

That is definitely true. No Migs has made us look a lot more assured at the back.
As for Karius I think he will come good for us, Now don't get me wrong I'm not comparing the two but I remember De Gea in his first season. There was no way you could have imagined he would become the keeper he has (No.1 in the world for me), In fact I'm sure some were surprised he got a second season. Again I must state before some think I am suggesting Karius will become that kind of quality, I'm not, I'm just saying I would like Karius to be given a chance next season and see where he goes from there especially if we get another quality CB to partner VVD

As for VVD, I think the guy oozes class. As mentioned before he can be to casual on the ball sometimes and the mistakes he has made being mentioned a few of those did come in his first few games for us and the Lamela penalty for me was more about Lamela jumping in front of VVD to win the pen with no intention to get the ball. Not all accidents are mistakes by the way.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
[QUOTE="Sylar, post: 22367999, member: 26997"]I think not having Mignolet is also a good thing. Im still not sure about Karius but maybe with time he will get there (dont know too much about him). But Mignolet is not a goalkeeper you want behind you if youre a defender.
That is definitely true. No Migs has made us look a lot more assured at the back.
As for Karius I think he will come good for us, Now don't get me wrong I'm not comparing the two but I remember De Gea in his first season. There was no way you could have imagined he would become the keeper he has (No.1 in the world for me), In fact I'm sure some were surprised he got a second season. Again I must state before some think I am suggesting Karius will become that kind of quality, I'm not, I'm just saying I would like Karius to be given a chance next season and see where he goes from there especially if we get another quality CB to partner VVD

As for VVD, I think the guy oozes class. As mentioned before he can be to casual on the ball sometimes and the mistakes he has made being mentioned a few of those did come in his first few games for us and the Lamela penalty for me was more about Lamela jumping in front of VVD to win the pen with no intention to get the ball. Not all accidents are mistakes by the way.[/QUOTE]

I think that is absolute bullshit, anyone with half an eye and half a brain could see De Gea had great potential and his poor performances were massively overblown just because he's United's keeper. Now he's actually gone the opposite way in that, although you'd no longer call them weaknesses, he still has the same things being the poorest part of his game - aerial dominance, organising the defenders - and yet he can do no wrong. As soon as he makes one of his amazing saves the pundits automatically just say "best keeper in the world, incredible" despite the fact he was always doing that even when they were panning him. The lad was playing for Atletico Madrid at was it 17 or 18 as first choice despite not exactly being incredibly developed physically.

I don't disagree that Karius has improved the defence by the way, I just think people try to rewrite history with De Gea due to the monginess of the British press.

prath92

As for VVD, I think the guy oozes class. As mentioned before he can be to casual on the ball sometimes and the mistakes he has made being mentioned a few of those did come in his first few games for us and the Lamela penalty for me was more about Lamela jumping in front of VVD to win the pen with no intention to get the ball. Not all accidents are mistakes by the way.
De Gea was exceptional in shot stopping. He had a bit of an issue with getting caught out in set pieces but no one could deny that he was exceptional while making saves. No one was surprised he got a second season.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
De Gea was exceptional in shot stopping. He had a bit of an issue with getting caught out in set pieces but no one could deny that he was exceptional while making saves. No one was surprised he got a second season.
He was a great keeper that is why you bought him but that first season he was very light weight and got bullied rotten.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Indeed, he had his poor moments but his talent was blatant.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Based on what I’ve seen of us this season, we’ve been better defensively with Van Dijk than we were without him.
I'm just saying he didn't magically transform your set pieces defending from shit to good. You also have to note that since he got there both Robertson and TAA have been regulars at the full back position so there has been less rotation there as well. Before Christmas Klopp was rotating all the back 5 positions.

Last season Liverpool conceded twice as many goals from set pieces as they have now during the Everton match.

Jayus20

Supports
Liverpool
Abysmal free kick. Stepped up like the big man and hit a pathetic effort.
Oh no, one over hit free kick, what will we do. Let’s send him back. Let me go find a De Gea goal kick he kicked out of play...

This nitpicking from you guys over Van Dijk is hilarious and embarrassing at the same time :’) Need to find a new hobby pal :’)

Classical Mechanic

Oh no, one over hit free kick, what will we do. Let’s send him back. Let me go find a De Gea goal kick he kicked out of play...

This nitpicking from you guys over Van Dijk is hilarious and embarrassing at the same time :’) Need to find a new hobby pal :’)
I wasn't referring to that one, I was referring top the tepid shot on goal he had from one in the first half. If defender is going to get all Billy big bananas and take free kicks then you have to delivery something more than a simple catch for the keeper. The one in the second half was worse! VVD is a good defender, he strengthens Liverpool on set pieces and plays out quite well but he still makes more errors than you would expect from a real elite level CB.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Best defender in the league by far

:lol: Fecking idiot

Bobski

Van Dyjk and Alderweield, 2 guys who have the reputation(through people who don't watch them that often) of being the best in the league despite having the bare minimum of big match performances or achievements.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
A man of his size trying to convince the ref that he’s been fouled by the giant that is Raheem Sterling :lol:

Bobski

A man of his size trying to convince the ref that he’s been fouled by the giant that is Raheem Sterling :lol:
Smalling got shit for being physically dominated by Kompany. Correctly. Van Dijk is bigger than either and just got pushed around by a frail child.

James Peril

I’ve said it since day 1, he is way too nonchalant to be a top defender. Almost cost them another goal by not paying attention to Sterling. He’s a great header of the ball, obviously because he’s tall, but a very limited overall.

A great defender is like a great referee, you don’t notice him much over 90 minutes. A central defender constantly making last-ditch tackles is always on the backfoot. Tottenham-penalty, ridiculous situation today - he think he’s far better than he really is.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Really weak and lazy with that Sterling incident. Should’ve kept going until the whistle.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
By the way he isn’t crap. He’s brought a lot of calm to our defence, but has had a bad start tonight.

Definitely needs to be less lazy at times.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
There are people who believe he is the best CB in the country.

Robbie Boy

Far from £75 million great I agree.
I've been a fan since his Celtic days but the transfer fee was beyond insane. He's always been prone to lapses of concentration and trying to overdo it with the ball at his feet. There's no denying he's generally been a good signing so far.