Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Stadjer

I do really like him as a player. Wish he had signed for Manchester United instead of Liverpool. Dutch player, started his career at my local club. Stayed in the Eredivisie for a while, went to a bigger club, went to a Premier League club and became one of the best defenders at Liverpool. An example on how to build up a career. A shame that Pickford injured him for a very long period.

The ''hype'' he was getting was fair. He was the best defender in the league and he had a huge impact on Liverpool. He fixed the defence the moment he came in and played a huge part in them finally winning a Premier League. He wasnt overrated, he was really that good. The comparison when he was at his best to Rio werent over the top. Current Virgil van Dijk to prime Rio is an easy win for Rio but Virgil at his prime deserved the comparison. I mean, even Rio himself does it.

I know he plays for Liverpool so that does require to shit on him and act like he is shit but he certainly was shit at all. The injury seems to have a big impact on him. He isnt as good anymore.. hopefully he recovers/quality form for the World Cup though.

He’s actually a really nice humble guy
He is, i remember when Rio made a list of best defenders (Rio put himself and Vidic at 1 and 2) and put Virgil van Dijk at 3, van Dijk responded that he cant do that because he only won one Premier League.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
I always thought he was overrated. Even in his best days I never thought he was as good as people made him out to be. After his injury he hasn't been the same as well. At this point it's hard to keep calling him world class.

Imho he shouldn't be a starter for the NT anymore. We have many good defenders and he's not amongst the best ones in this form - which is basicly his form since he returned from injury.

Chief123

I think there have been two extremes to opinions on VVD. He’s not over rated but nor is he the greatest of all time. He was the best defender in the world at one point but is clearly nowhere near that level right now. His relaxed style has always been fine because he’s had the physical attributes to deal with any situation. He just doesn’t look sharp anymore which is making his relaxed style look really bad.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Reckon he was the best CB in the world at one point. Top class. Still overrated. The likes of Danny Murphy putting him in their all time XI’s over Rio is just nonsense.

tomaldinho1

I think there have been two extremes to opinions on VVD. He’s not over rated but nor is he the greatest of all time. He was the best defender in the world at one point but is clearly nowhere near that level right now. His relaxed style has always been fine because he’s had the physical attributes to deal with any situation. He just doesn’t look sharp anymore which is making his relaxed style look really bad.
Yep exactly, he was a great CB but the injury does seem to have affected his acceleration. He used to have enough recovery pace to deal with most situations but now he drops off more than he used to and just doesn't seem as sharp or dynamic as he was. He's a big guy with a big frame as well, think he'll have to adapt his game a bit more now.

Chief123

Yep exactly, he was a great CB but the injury does seem to have affected his acceleration. He used to have enough recovery pace to deal with most situations but now he drops off more than he used to and just doesn't seem as sharp or dynamic as he was. He's a big guy with a big frame as well, think he'll have to adapt his game a bit more now.
I’m not convinced it’s his injury that’s causing these performances.

Last season he was brilliant for most parts after that injury. I remember seeing him in a number of foot races where no one was beating him. It’s only this season he doesn’t seem to be right. But neither does the whole team.

I do believe a big part of having a solid defence is based on how good the midfield shield in front of you is. Especially when you play a high line. It’s critical that your midfield presses extremely well and intensively. If that doesn’t happen then any high line defence will get exposed. Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum used to be intense machines who would suffocate opponents. Mane would lead the press from the front with Firmino. Their pressing in attack and midfield has completely gone which is really exposing the defence now.

GoldanoGraham

It’s all got a bit hazy for Virgil - so much smoke was blown up his arse that it’s now affecting him.

Clowns like Carragher and Murphy put him on such a high pedestal that he has only one way to go.

However, tonight - anyone paired with Joe Gomez would have been made to look bad - he was abject.

Ibi Dreams

The ''hype'' he was getting was fair. He was the best defender in the league and he had a huge impact on Liverpool. He fixed the defence the moment he came in and played a huge part in them finally winning a Premier League. He wasnt overrated, he was really that good. The comparison when he was at his best to Rio werent over the top. Current Virgil van Dijk to prime Rio is an easy win for Rio but Virgil at his prime deserved the comparison. I mean, even Rio himself does it.

I know he plays for Liverpool so that does require to shit on him and act like he is shit but he certainly was shit at all. The injury seems to have a big impact on him. He isnt as good anymore.. hopefully he recovers/quality form for the World Cup though.
Nobody doubted that he'd been excellent and instrumental in Liverpool's success. But some started to say things like "best ever" when players like Rio or even Terry or Carvalho were at that level for literally 5 times as long (or more) as Van Dijk

And I'm sure he'll come good again, but it's amusing to see him taken down a peg relatively soon after the hype

arthurka

Best in the world and best in the league and an all time great. Not even close, very good defender at his best but never all time great.

SAFMUTD

He's been nothing close to that 2018/19 season since the injury, he looks slow and suddenly attackers dont hesistate to challenge him. There was a time not long ago that players would rather pass the ball than face him, those times are gone.

ti vu

He's been nothing close to that 2018/19 season since the injury, he looks slow and suddenly attackers dont hesistate to challenge him. There was a time not long ago that players would rather pass the ball than face him, those times are gone.
Even before the injury, he had shown sign of decline. The no action/aura defending meme already started for incident like vs Watford, where he just stood there and let the cross came in. Then the thrashing vs Aston Villa earlier in the season Pickford injured him.

While he may not make arrogant interview as a whole, one of his joke came off as arrogant. The infamous was Ronaldo a rival (Ballon d'Or) joke.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It's a weird discussion. At his best he was as good of a defender as anyone in PL history. But it feels like his peak hasn't quite lasted as long as the other PL greats and these past couple of years he's gotten exposed a fair few times. Obviously the way Liverpool setup don't do him a ton of favors because on the break he's always going to be isolated against attackers. But he's certainly a level or two below his best these days.

Still, as much as I hate to say it he's a PL great. And no I wouldn't put him above Rio or anything as the best. But he has to be in the discussion of PL great defenders.

ti vu

It's a weird discussion. At his best he was as good of a defender as anyone in PL history. But it feels like his peak hasn't quite lasted as long as the other PL greats and these past couple of years he's gotten exposed a fair few times. Obviously the way Liverpool setup don't do him a ton of favors because on the break he's always going to be isolated against attackers. But he's certainly a level or two below his best these days.

Still, as much as I hate to say it he's a PL great. And no I wouldn't put him above Rio or anything as the best. But he has to be in the discussion of PL great defenders.
This goes both way though.

This style used to play in his favor. Liverpool when the players around him was younger, they pressed better, so VVD didn't have to work as much. Opposition attacker used to be double teamed by VVD and his partner, and so far away from their goal, so that he doesn't need to commit to tackle. Just match their pace maintain the number advantage and rush the attacker into making mistake. That's where the no dribble past coming from.

Now Liverpool with their aging midfield. Losing player like Wjinaldum with Mane leaving. Both Firmino and Salah declined in term of athleticism. The whole backline had to do more defensive work against coordinated attack. Konate athleticism is Him being out injured now is a bigger miss than any other players in that back 4.

So say no to revisionism here. The tactic fit VVD style of defending like a gloves, but it needs adjustment with age affect a bigger part of their squad, either as the team tactic or him get stuck in more.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

Even before the injury, he had shown sign of decline. The no action/aura defending meme already started for incident like vs Watford, where he just stood there and let the cross came in. Then the thrashing vs Aston Villa earlier in the season Pickford injured him.

While he may not make arrogant interview as a whole, one of his joke came off as arrogant. The infamous was Ronaldo a rival (Ballon d'Or) joke.
In today's game, the first play he lets Osimenh run freely for a long ball it almost ends in a goal as Osimehn hits the post. I know its Gomez's man but Virgil just stays jogging when at least you expect the player to run his socks off trying to put some preassure on the attacker.

Cant post it here, but its the first dangerous play of the game around minute 3.

lysglimt

Scout
Well - I can already say this with 100% certainty - there wont be many Liverpool-defenders in the team of the season.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
In today's game, the first play he lets Osimenh run freely for a long ball it almost ends in a goal as Osimehn hits the post. I know its Gomez's man but Virgil just stays jogging when at least you expect the player to run his socks off trying to put some preassure on the attacker.

Cant post it here, but its the first dangerous play of the game around minute 3.
Don’t think Van Dijk can be blamed there. I don’t think he can catch him and, rather than end up in no-man’s land out wide, he is better off taking up a blocking position for a second phase to prevent an easy cut back. For me it’s entirely Gomez’s fault as you say.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think this guy just had a really good purple patch and is superior to Maguire but isn't an all time great CB.

Between 22 and 27 he was playing for Southampton and Celtic, usually defenders are picked up by the big teams in this age range if they are truly world class (though some exceptions exist)

AjaxToday

Supports
Ajax
Virgil can't do it alone if your comrade next to you can't do it.
Maybe wait for the match against Ajax and the World Cup?

Think of it as a Martinez standing next to Maguire, that guy can't even overplay, there are more in the premier league like that. :)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He didn't turn into a pumpkin overnight, he is just overrated which doesn't mean that he is not generally excellent and one of the best, if not the best around but it's similar to prime Boateng. Things can and will go wrong for him at times but for some reason people convinced themselves that it wouldn't.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think what should be noted is how would he stack up in the PL era of Ferdinand, Terry, Vidic, King, Carvalho etc.? He wouldn’t be the best. The era he is in is far poorer in terms of CBs.

tomaldinho1

I’m not convinced it’s his injury that’s causing these performances.

Last season he was brilliant for most parts after that injury. I remember seeing him in a number of foot races where no one was beating him. It’s only this season he doesn’t seem to be right. But neither does the whole team.

I do believe a big part of having a solid defence is based on how good the midfield shield in front of you is. Especially when you play a high line. It’s critical that your midfield presses extremely well and intensively. If that doesn’t happen then any high line defence will get exposed. Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum used to be intense machines who would suffocate opponents. Mane would lead the press from the front with Firmino. Their pressing in attack and midfield has completely gone which is really exposing the defence now.
I didn’t think he was as good last season. Obviously nowhere the collective slump that’s happened now but there were signs. I remember a lot of people saying how Matip was playing out of his skin and had probably been their best CB for a while.

Agree they have slowly regressed with players who have left for the system they play. I know some people love Thiago and he’s clearly a better technical footballer than most players in the world but they were a more difficult team when the midfield was a bit more basic in my opinion. Wijnaldum was superb for them and obviously Henderson/Fabinho are a bit on the older side now. Mane is a huge loss.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
I think what should be noted is how would he stack up in the PL era of Ferdinand, Terry, Vidic, King, Carvalho etc.? He wouldn’t be the best. The era he is in is far poorer in terms of CBs.
I completely agree with this. As a Dutchman I never understood how Van Dijk ever became 'the best CB in the world'. He has certainly become a very good defender, but he has always had his weaknesses. I think his positioning is quite poor. However in his 'best' years, that weakness didn't get exploited very often, if at all, because Liverpool was simply completely dominating its opposition. Van Dijk obviously has also been a part of that, but the entire domination of that team also kept him from being in difficult situations. In the NT Van Dijk looked suspect several times because the team wasn't that good.

I do think Van Dijk is one of the better CBs of this era. However I agree that this is also been a period without many outstanding CVs. Van Dijk became 'the best' CB after players like Ramos, Chiellini and Kompany retired / were over the hill. Van Dijks carreer isn't nearly as impressive as the carreers of those players. I would take Jaap Stam over Van Dijk any day of the week.

Van Dijks incredible phsyique has made him a commanding defender for a few years when Liverpool were absolutely dominating their opposition. Kudos to him for that, but he has always had his weaknesses and now that Liverpool can't dominate its opposition anymore, its becoming more and more clear.

SAFMUTD

Don’t think Van Dijk can be blamed there. I don’t think he can catch him and, rather than end up in no-man’s land out wide, he is better off taking up a blocking position for a second phase to prevent an easy cut back. For me it’s entirely Gomez’s fault as you say.
I don't know, it was a one man solo run, I know it was hard for Virgil to catch him but for me it looks like a total lack of effort.

kaku06

Spot on from Cundy. No one would dare to talk about it from Liverpool. Van dijk bit starts from 2:45

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Especially poor today. Our entire back line has been awful this season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Especially poor today. Our entire back line has been awful this season.
Worrying for you as he has often been the difference between a top 4 and title challenge and now with him and several other first teamers dropping in quality it’s rough.