g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Volkswagen Admits to Cheating US Emissions Tests

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Interesting to hear that given all the road tax and company car income tax/nic that has been under paid due to emissions being understated is under negotiation for VW to pay up.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Legally where would you stand if you were a salesman for one of the competitors to VW and paid a sales commission, if you sued VW for loss of earnings due to the inflated figures? If you drove a VW around for years are you entitled to some money back for the extra fuel costs? If you work in parts distribution for Ford and they sold less cars because VW conned the public so you don't have as many customers is there legal redress?

In short is VW going to become the next PPI auto call cash cow for lawyers to milk?
No. They're paying a big fine to the regulator and none of the stuff you say, eg the Ford salesman's crap, can be proved. A car is a semi-emotional purchase- no-one buys on emission data alone. VW will get hammered left, right and centre for the what you say though.
Interesting to hear that given all the road tax and company car income tax/nic that has been under paid due to emissions being understated is under negotiation for VW to pay up.
I don't know if I'm choking more in indignation at their wrong-doing or from the foul fumes belching out of their cancer merchants.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The US Federal Trade Commission has just filed suit against VW for false advertising, citing 'billions' in injury.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I have a friend who suggests this is the tip of the iceberg

Lets be honest VW is a big group and 100's of people would have worked on this software and its implementation... thousands would have known about its use through the supply chain / management / lawyers etc.

Its inconceivable that not one (probably many many more) of these people never went to work for another car company and they must have had the conversation as to if / how they do it here.

If no other car companies did it you can be sure as soon as they found out that they would have called the authorities themselves and this would have been found out about a lot quicker - alternatively if they are all at it they would absorb the knowledge of how to do it better and apply it themselves.

My friend works in the electronics industry - he designs components and systems for car manufacturers - so yeah if he says its the tip of the iceberg I take it seriously.
Mitsubishi and Nissan implicated now
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/mitsubishi-admits-emission-test-misconduct-081543882.html

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Is this higher or lower than VW expected?
Seems low
General Motors (GM) paid a criminal fine of $900 million for a faulty ignition switch tied to at least 124 deaths, and an additional $600 million to victims and their families. And it may have to pay more: A pending class action lawsuit seeks damages on behalf of car owners.
Toyota agreed in 2012 to pay a $1.2 billion fine, and settled with car owners for an additional $1.1 billion in the unintended acceleration case.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/27/news/companies/volkswagen-fine-emissions-cheating/

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Wasn't it potentially 18bn? A steal for VW.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Yeah, but more important would be if it was higher than VW expected or not and how much money they put aside for this.
Sorry, that is kinda in the article, I just didn't quote it
Volkswagen originally faced up to $18 billion in fines for violating the U.S. Clean Air Act, and has said it's already set aside that much money to deal with the case.
A settlement in the ballpark of $15 billion would shatter records for other fines paid by other automakers for negligence or wrongdoing.
I don't know if there are more settlements to come though

Javi

Ok, not sure if the article is really correct there. If they put aside $18bn. for violating the U.S. Clean Air Act, then that would indeed be for the case they settled now. Question now is, if - as @Rado_N mentioned - the civil law suit is also included in that figures (because they scammed customers over the correct details of their purchase they might have grounds to give the car back/alter the contract, e.g. pay a lower price in hindsight) - and I imagine it isn't. So the only story here is basically if this fine is lower/higher than VW expected which we cannot simply derive from this $18bn. figure.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Ok, not sure if the article is really correct there. If they put aside $18bn. for violating the U.S. Clean Air Act, then that would indeed be for the case they settled now. Question now is, if - as @Rado_N mentioned - the civil law suit is also included in that figures (because they scammed customers over the correct details of their purchase they might have grounds to give the car back/alter the contract, e.g. pay a lower price in hindsight) - and I imagine it isn't. So the only story here is basically if this fine is lower/higher than VW expected which we cannot simply derive from this $18bn. figure.
I read an article this morning that said iirc they'd estimated the total cost to be circa $30bn.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Was never likely to be fine that high.
Yeah but less than 20% of the potential fine. I know certain German automotive companies aren't above offering bribes to get what they want...