Was it a penalty (part 2)?

astracrazy

100% penalty, but no matter what we were never going to get one yesterday after last weekend.

I've said it before and I will say it again, it will come out one day VAR is corrupt at some level for match fixing.

adam118

If this isn't a penalty then all defenders may as well do Schmeichel esque blocks in the box from now on.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
100% penalty, but no matter what we were never going to get one yesterday after last weekend.

I've said it before and I will say it again, it will come out one day VAR is corrupt at some level for match fixing.
Football is corrupt from top to bottom.

Siorac

If this form of justice is being normalised then we will be a survivalist society soon.
Yeah, it's shite. But after Monday's furore, the official apology, the refs getting demoted... it was inevitable and predictable.

stevoc

Anyone tell me why the feck this was not a pen :houllier: ?
Because United had a debateable VAR decision go their way last week and the media and the PL lost their shit, overreacted and suspended all the officials from the game. Sending a clear message to the officials for United's next 5-10 games.

This decision was way worse than the Wolves one, but you won't see it being over analysed by the Media, you won't see articles about the injustice of it all being run for days and I can guarantee the officials won't be punished in any way shape or form.

Same old story really.

GazTheLegend

Because United had a debateable VAR decision go their way last week and the media and the PL lost their shit, overreacted and suspended all the officials from the game. Sending a clear message to the officials for United's next 5-10 games.

This decision was way worse than the Wolves one, but you won't see it being over analysed by the Media, you won't see articles about the injustice of it all being run for days and I can guarantee the officials won't be punished in any way shape or form.

Same old story really.
Yeah for me this decision is FAR worse but the pundits, media and everyone else don't even debate it. I'm absolutely sick of the acceptance that there ISN'T an agenda against our club in the UK media at least. There was a thread about it last season and it's just a continuation into this season. Where's our apologies from Jon Moss and the PGMOL?

Bruno came out and questioned the decision at least. Ten Hag needs to do the same, for me. We need that siege mentality back or else they'll keep on making atrocious decisions against us and apologising for 50/50's we get in our favour like the other day simply to have an easy life and pacify all ABU cnuts they have on MOTD and the likes. The BBC are still grinding their axe after Ferguson banned them, maybe we need a fresh ban on their journo's if they can't do their fecking job with impartiality what's the point of them. I don't think there'd be much of a loss if we banned the BBC, to be fair. All they are is a propaganda machine for the oil clubs at this point.

I don't think the referee's are naturally anti-man utd but the pressure they are put under by the likes of the BBC, Sky etc is ridiculous. We need the manager to start coming out and defending our corner a bit more.

Last edited:

stevoc

If this isn't a penalty then all defenders may as well do Schmeichel esque blocks in the box from now on.
Yep they might as well all wear a pair of gloves while they're at it.

stevoc

Yeah for me this decision is FAR worse but the pundits, media and everyone else don't even debate it. I'm absolutely sick of the acceptance that there ISN'T an agenda against our club in the UK media at least.
Of course there is and it's not necessarily that they want United to lose (though might be part of it for some). They just know United benefitting from a controversial decision sends the ABU crowd into overdrive and generates clicks for days.

You'd do well to find one article this week bemoaning the injustice of United being denied a stonewall penalty. Ten Hag and the club need to start commenting on it and just take the fines/suspensions.

VivaRonaldo85

The lack of media and other fan reaction to this vs the Wolves penalty incident on Monday night is telling.

buckooo1978

Im glad Bruno has called out the officials and ruling body about an apology.

there are poor decisions in many games. Ones in United's favour seem to have 10 times the exposure.

That was a definite penalty - Romero makes the body bigger

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Ball is blasted at his hand from a meter away? Handball has to be intentional, no way that is, he's not doing something deliberately to block it.

The problem is the crap interpretation of handball over the last few years.

Swedish_Plumber

I think it’s fair to say had it been Varane blocking it like that up the other end it would’ve been a penalty. The people running VAR are too easily swayed by public opinion throughout the season.

siw2007

Yes it is a penalty. That evens it up from Monday now, or so it should.

glasgow 21

Ball is blasted at his hand from a meter away? Handball has to be intentional, no way that is, he's not doing something deliberately to block it.

Nonsense in one sentence. Litterly standing with your arms out when striker is shooting is the exact interpretation of a stone wall penalty and only Goalkeeepers are allowed to do what Romero did. How have 90% of players went into blocks with there hands behind their back ?

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)

Wrong, Go watch the footage rather than just a still image.

RedNome

Nonsense in one sentence. Litterly standing with your arms out when striker is shooting is the exact interpretation of a stone wall penalty and only Goalkeeepers are allowed to do what Romero did. How have 90% of players went into blocks with there hands behind their back ?
He didn't just stand there he ran in with his hands up, his proximity in this instance is not even relevant.

Rake

That is an effin penalty all day but i love the way pundits and oppo fans make it sound like they would be perfectly happy if such a decision is made against their team.

Lee565

It's karma from Monday, these things even themselves out over a season, we get decisions that save our ass and others that potentially cost us points.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Clear pen. For the best league in the world, the standard of refereeing is shocking. Second week of the season and there are already a dozen mistakes.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Did MOTD cover this in their analysis?

C'est Moi Cantona

It's karma from Monday, these things even themselves out over a season, we get decisions that save our ass and others that potentially cost us points.
Exactly what VAR was supposed to stop happening.

Anyway it's 1-1 for us this season now.

ShinjiNinja26

Definite pen. I knew they’d try and even things up after Monday but didn’t expect it to be that quick. I bet you’ll see an incident exactly like this next week and it will be given. Absolutely zero consistency.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
'Hands away from the natural silhouette' is the current interpretation of the rule, right? By that criteria, I would love to know how they've deemed it not handball. He's lunged towards the space where the shot is going to go, with his arms out wide like a goalkeeper, and its hit one of those arms. They've been given for much, much less.

Pellistri got his heels clipped late on too, when there was a good chance he was about to cut it back across goal. That one was equally as surprising. They didn't even show the VAR replay on screen so I assume they dismissed it almost instantly.

I assume Michael Oliver will be suspended next week, and Talksport pundits will be frothing at the mouth at the injustice?

GazTheLegend

Four things here:
  1. The lack of debate over it by the pundits at the time it happened
  2. The overreaction to the 50/50 on Monday
  3. The strangely muted media response
  4. A penalty was literally given for what happened yesterday not so long ago.
For me I'd be fine with it not being a penalty if the referee, PGMOL etc weren't apologising on Monday for what was a 50/50 that went our way.

You get these decisions happening every now and again - fine. But after Monday and the weird anti-United shitstorm over what was a much less clear one is what grates. Bruno came out and asked the questions we are all thinking. Where's the apology? Where's the inquisition on Romero? Everyone on the caf knew we'd be on the end of decisions like this after Monday, maybe even for the next six months, and everyone knew the media wouldn't even bother with it.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Of course it is a penalty, but you don't get lucky twice in a week, especially after the media shitshow post-Wolves.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeah, they briefly glanced over it. Shearer said that he was "quite happy" with the decision and they moved on.
We have literally nobody in the media that will argue United’s case and I can’t help but think it’s by design. Even Gary Neville has a huge anti-United bias - he love the history of the club but seems to have no loyalty to the club post SAF.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We all knew this would happen, I don't even think it's concious, back of your mind refs must know that life is easier to not give united a contentious decision.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Four things here:
  1. The lack of debate over it by the pundits at the time it happened
  2. The overreaction to the 50/50 on Monday
  3. The strangely muted media response
  4. A penalty was literally given for what happened yesterday not so long ago.
For me I'd be fine with it not being a penalty if the referee, PGMOL etc weren't apologising on Monday for what was a 50/50 that went our way.

You get these decisions happening every now and again - fine. But after Monday and the weird anti-United shitstorm over what was a much less clear one is what grates. Bruno came out and asked the questions we are all thinking. Where's the apology? Where's the inquisition on Romero? Everyone on the caf knew we'd be on the end of decisions like this after Monday, maybe even for the next six months, and everyone knew the media wouldn't even bother with it.
1. Because most thought it wasn't a pen - even Roy Keane
2. Wasn't a 50/50, more like a 99/1
3. See 1
4. Yeah and that was widely criticised at the time

Man-United

United fans can also be blamed for lack of debate over it. I mean, just two pages about it on here while the monday incident on the caf got so much more.

It's a stonewall pen.

Red_toad

We’re 2 game weeks in and it’s already enough to show how incompetent and inconsistent the standard of refereeing is.
What‘s worse is they review the footage to ‘make it fair’.VAR is completely pointless imo, should just have the offical call it and be done with, at least they have excuses to get it wrong.

Crimson King

It was a penalty, you haven't been able to close down a shot with your arm like that for years now. They're almost always given if you're making no attempt to move your arm out of the way.

The fact it has barely been mentioned by the media isn't a surprise, they always set the narrative. 'United in turmoil' will get more clicks than a first half of missed chances and a clear pen that could have changed the game.

Doesn't forgive that 2nd half performance though.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
When I saw var was checking it I thought it would be given. If this was arsenal I'd be fuming.

stevoc

Because he's about six inches from the ball when it's kicked.

The other penalty shout from this game was more surprisingly not given.

Have Chelsea fans ever actually measured something with a tape measure?

And no it doesn't have to be intentional.

RedNome

When I saw var was checking it I thought it would be given. If this was arsenal I'd be fuming.
I did say to the misses, that's stonewall and we won't get it after last week.

So obvious.

Last edited:

GazTheLegend

1. Because most thought it wasn't a pen - even Roy Keane
2. Wasn't a 50/50, more like a 99/1
3. See 1
4. Yeah and that was widely criticised at the time
You telling me that if it wasn't the other round Shearer just says he's "happy with the decision" and everyone moves on? Most people WILL be happy with the decision because most people (and most pundits) HATE Manchester United. It's not right and Bruno and Ten Hag will be coming out to start calling it out. For me like I have said I'd be quite happy that neither of them are given as penalties if there wasn't more debate about it because there IS a debate to be had there. And using a contrarian like Keane who enjoys sticking the knife in isn't a defence.

And 99/1 my arse, once the balls gone those decisions never get called as penalties, see Vicario literally last week. Or was that stonewall as well?

Last edited:

Danger5

There's no conspiracy, there's no payback for getting away with Onana's blatant foul on Monday - that attitude, while understandable, is immature and helps no one. It's just incompetency.

As someone else highlighted though, it is the inconsistency that irks me. The Dunk one for instance was given but should not have been a penalty, ours should have been given but was ruled out. Just baffling levels of incompetency at supposedly the highest level.