Was it a penalty (part 2)?

arthurka

So does anyone think that if that toss pot Oliver had given a pen that VAR would've revoked that decision? Of course not as defending with your arms out and blocking a shot with your arm when the shot came from a player 1.5-2m away is under all circumstances a penalty.

AFC NimbleThumb

It looks like 3 pages of moaning over 1 call. We had a red given to us yesterday where even the majority on here knew it wasn’t. There’s no media calling it out as harsh. It’s just terrible refereeing and VAR being useless as ever.
I’m trying to be as kind as possible here.

Do you not understand you’re proving the point. You had a red card given - people moved on; United had a questionable call not go against them - hours of podcasts/10s of journalist tweets; United have a penalty denied that we’ve seen given multiple times this season already - people moving on.

I’d say it’s a blind spot but at this points it’s wilful ignorance from you. Referees get things wrong every week, now ask yourself this. You had a penalty denied last week, nothing. A red card yesterday, nothing. United had a stonewall penalty denied yesterday, nothing. Mondays incident, public inquest. Why?

Fergie retired 10 years ago & you’re here on a United forum claiming the best team in the country for the best part of 30 years were favoured by referees, now ask yourself how on earth that makes sense.

RedDevilQuebecois

Yeah, they briefly glanced over it. Shearer said that he was "quite happy" with the decision and they moved on.
Shearer is a salty cnut. I give zero credibility in whatever he says.

That picture is telling the whole story to me.

That being said, the referee corps in the league should be sacking many of those middle-aged, unfit, incompetent fecks away from the game.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It looks like 3 pages of moaning over 1 call. We had a red given to us yesterday where even the majority on here knew it wasn’t. There’s no media calling it out as harsh. It’s just terrible refereeing and VAR being useless as ever.
Every pundit reporting during the game via BBC live text said it wasn't a red card. Gary Lineker tweeted about it saying it was harsh, and slammed it on Match of the Day. Richard Keys tweeted about it, and then ranted about it during analysis on Bein. And that's just the ones I've seen without digging. I'd be surprised if there isn't plenty more.

stevoc

Im glad the official was scrutinised for a week and taken off the next game.
Yes me too, because as we know United just like any other team when on the end of a terrible decision. Gets backed by the media with a relentless campaign for justice and accountability of the officials.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Watching longer highlights .. it's actually astounding that wasn't given. As clear a handball as you get

Rake

We have literally nobody in the media that will argue United’s case and I can’t help but think it’s by design. Even Gary Neville has a huge anti-United bias - he love the history of the club but seems to have no loyalty to the club post SAF.
I think our old players, at least those affiliated with bigger channels are a) afraid of being called biased, so they overdo slagging the team, b) actually hate what the club has become because their legacy is somewhat ruined and this reflects in most of their comments. It is probably a mixture of the two.

That being said, you don't have to be United affiliated in any way to call a spade a spade. I usually do not dabble in what the pundits say, but this case is truly baffling.

Bestie07

I have seen enough games to know that the refs are making things up as they go along, and every team has decisions that go against them from time to time. What I do have an issue with is the selective outrage when we get a decision in our favor. It's so blatant.

Ricardo de la Vega

Not for me. The law says intentional handball. His hand was in a natural position, it didn't move towards the ball, and anyone who sees how close he was must say he didn't intend it. If he's a bit further away maybe.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Not for me. The law says intentional handball. His hand was in a natural position, it didn't move towards the ball, and anyone who sees how close he was must say he didn't intend it. If he's a bit further away maybe.
The laws have changed though, and if we’re going by basically every other instance of this rule being applied post Covid, it’s a penalty every time.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I would love if VAR also gave the reason for either giving or not giving a decision. It would definitely help the fans to understand the rationale of the officials a bit more and also force the officials to be more accountable for their decision.
The rules for VAR are partly to blame, did the referee make an obvious error? If VAR thinks he has then they hould tell the referee to take a look at the screen, if not they can't tell him to do that

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Ball is blasted at his hand from a meter away? Handball has to be intentional, no way that is, he's not doing something deliberately to block it.

The problem is the crap interpretation of handball over the last few years.
You're way behind on the rules, handball these days does not have to be intentional

criticalanalysis

If you look at both players doing exactly the same move, it seems virtually impossible to keep your hands by your side while thrusting and falling. Both should NOT be a penalty.

That Chelsea defender last week on the other hand should have held his hands behind his back as most defenders do nowadays when standing upright. Denied a clear Liverpool goal with an unnatural position. That was the genuine penalty regardless of how close it was to the shot/header.
Leaving aside what is considered a penalty, you have to think why is a player is thrusting/falling forward with their hands in the air? More times than not, it's because they're desperate to lunge in due to a dangerous ball, which can be due to poor positioning from the defending team and/or good attacking play from the attacking team.

So by allowing or giving benefit to the defending player, who is lunging in hands in the air or outstretched away from the body, you're penalising the good play by the attacking team. It's not that binary of course but that's the simplistic take on it. You can still make yourself big/lunging in by turning your body and having your arms by your side and not above your chest/head. If the ball hits the defending player then but his arms are by his side or the ball deflects off his body first, then it's more understandable.

That's the difference imo. Romero is clearly lunging forward with his arms away from his body to make himself big in an disadvantageous way because it was a desperate situation.

Not sure if that follows the letter of the law though.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
It's like I've said in the numerous threads on this subject over the past week. As a ref, it's so much easier to just give any call against us.

If you give a call that benefits us (like Attwell did last season against City), your name's going to be plastered all over media, your job performance is going to be questioned and it might even cost you a fair bit of money if you don't get a game the next weekend.

If you give a call that benefits our opposition, media will just gloss it over. You can go home, have a nice dinner and not have your performance criticised by every Tom, Dick and Harry in the media, and your bosses aren't going to be running to the disadvantaged team's dressing room to criticise your performance.

Given this, why would anyone choose to give a penalty to us?
You must have been asleep all last week, a referee made a decision in the Wolves game that certainly benefitted us and got slaughtered for it

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Shearer is a salty cnut. I give zero credibility in whatever he says.

That picture is telling the whole story to me.

That being said, the referee corps in the league should be sacking many of those middle-aged, unfit, incompetent fecks away from the game.
And then what will you do? There'll be no football to watch

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Leaving aside what is considered a penalty, you have to think why is a player is thrusting/falling forward with their hands in the air? More times than not, it's because they're desperate to lunge in due to a dangerous ball, which can be due to poor positioning from the defending team and/or good attacking play from the attacking team.

So by allowing or giving benefit to the defending player, who is lunging in hands in the air or outstretched away from the body, you're penalising the good play by the attacking team. It's not that binary of course but that's the simplistic take on it. You can still make yourself big/lunging in by turning your body and having your arms by your side and not above your chest/head. If the ball hits the defending player then but his arms are by his side or the ball deflects off his body first, then it's more understandable.

That's the difference imo. Romero is clearly lunging forward with his arms away from his body to make himself big in an disadvantageous way because it was a desperate situation.

Not sure if that follows the letter of the law though.
That's a very critical analysis. You live up to your name. :)

I agree with all of it. However I will add the desperation from defenders is what gives us all something to gasp at and makes the PL so watchable (until the Arabs ruin it that is). So some leeway has to be afforded them. As long as it's consistent for all.

stevoc

It doesn't have to be intentional, if a defenders arm is in a position that is making his body bigger and denies a goalscoring opportunity then it's a penalty.

Or at least it is for most teams.

Amarsdd

"As a ref, it's so much easier to just give any call against us." is the exact opposite of what happened against Wolves
one ref didn't and you saw what happened to him. So it just enforces the idea in the refs to not make those decisions. Thats the point and we saw the evidence in the last game.

RedDevilQuebecois

And then what will you do? There'll be no football to watch
You REPLACE them with new blood! Those referees should not stay on the job just because they are part of the "country club"; they have to earn the right to stay.

If it is possible for other European countries to renew their referee pool, to make their refs fitter and sharper, and to even integrate women on the job time and time again, why can't all of those be done in England?

Last edited:

Anustart89

You must have been asleep all last week, a referee made a decision in the Wolves game that certainly benefitted us and got slaughtered for it
The reference to Hooper on Monday was implied too of course, just didn’t spell it out. My bad.

Dominos

The Liverpool game was 3pm Saturday where no one was watching, and Liverpool went on to a routine win so it didn't cost them.

The United-Wolves and Spurs-United pen incidents are comparable because the team who got screwed lost the game, and they were televised games. The difference in reactions to these 2 incidents are very telling, football fans and the media are putting huge pressure on the refs to not give United decisions.

RedDevilQuebecois

The Liverpool game was 3pm Saturday where no one was watching, and Liverpool went on to a routine win so it didn't cost them.

The United-Wolves and Spurs-United pen incidents are comparable because the team who got screwed lost the game, and they were televised games. The difference in reactions to these 2 incidents are very telling, football fans and the media are putting huge pressure on the refs to not give United decisions.
What has United ever done to those idiots? It looks like there is a strong need to remind people that the club with the highest number of dubious decisions going their way since the Premier League was born has been and still is Liverpool. If enforcing the rules as they should be is too much for them, perhaps they should go watch WWE.

Last edited:

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
What has United ever done to those idiots? It looks like there is a strong need to remind people that the club with the highest number of dubious decisions going their way since the Premier League was born has been and still is Liverpool.
Ruined their childhoods, now it's time for revenge.

OldSchoolManc

What has United ever done to those idiots? It looks like there is a strong need to remind people that the club with the highest number of dubious decisions going their way since the Premier League was born has been and still is Liverpool.
The Liverpool loving media will always protect them.
There was uproar over their red card yesterday.
They’ll probably get an apology or an ‘even up’ sending off at some point

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
You REPLACE them with new blood! Those referees should not stay on the job just because they are part of the "country club"; they have to earn the right to stay.

If it is possible for other European countries to renew their referee pool, to make their refs fitter and sharper, and to even integrate women on the job time and time again, why can't all of those be done in England?
I case you hadn't noticed, European referees are just as bad, as for new blood, a 1/3rd of them have ben PL refs for 5 years or less, the real reason is that they get so much shit from all sides that there isn't that many of them out there

RedDevil@84

Because of the sheer incompetence of the on field and VAR refs and special thanks to FA for keeping so many rules ambiguous and open to interpretation by the incompetent refs.

The media of course plays its part on what decisions it wants to highlight and what decisions to ignore in the discussion

Ibi Dreams

It’s not one call. The amount of those calls we have got for 12 months now is borderline ridiculous.
We don’t get 50/50 calls anymore, not even 70/30 and when we do everyone calls for the rule to change
I don't watch enough other football to really know, but I'd be surprised if other teams were being quite as fecked over as us by referees. Last season we had a ridiculous amount of calls go the other teams way, far more than what should be normally or reasonably expected

kaku06

Glenn hoddle at half time said it was never a penalty and that was Romero’s natural position. The shameless cnut was clearly abit uncomfortable saying that as he knew he was lying. Meanwhile our so called legends are absolute cowards for not taking our side even when we are right. You can see why the likes of Vieira went for G.Neville as he knew he would fold.

I so hope our fans bring some banners in the next match calling out for an apology.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If you want to know how the new handling law is supposed to be called, watch this video. Once you do, you will know that the call we didn't get yesterday was 100% a penalty. The new law is supposed to take the grey area out and make everything black or white. Hand away from his body? Handball. Doesn't matter how close the ball is kicked from. That's the old law...

reelworld

I don't know how it is in the broadcast that you all watch, but I find it hilarious that during the VAR replays on my stream, they only show the one that's clearly the ball hitting the hand once for a second.
Then the replay angle changed to the ones that actually make it more difficult to see the ball hitting the hand, and this is the one that's being replayed in slow motion

eire-red

If you look at both players doing exactly the same move, it seems virtually impossible to keep your hands by your side while thrusting and falling. Both should NOT be a penalty.

That Chelsea defender last week on the other hand should have held his hands behind his back as most defenders do nowadays when standing upright. Denied a clear Liverpool goal with an unnatural position. That was the genuine penalty regardless of how close it was to the shot/header.
It's interesting you say virtually impossible, as I think the vast majority of defenders these days go into blocks/tackles/lunges etc with their hands behind their backs?

Was such a clear penalty to me. It's one thing to argue when a player is stood still and the ball hits them from close. Romero lunges forward to block the ball in a desperate manner and enlarges his body, gaining an advantage in doing so. Don't see how he couldn't have done that with his hands behind his back, I'm sure they do those blocking drills in training all the time so it's not like the hands behind the back motion would be an unnatural thing.

Players can't hide from reds for lunging tackles under the argument that they can't lunge without going in with a degree of risk involved. Romero stretches for the block, he's not stood still. Same logic should apply.

Passitlikescholes

Romero lunges forward to block the ball in a desperate manner and enlarges his body, gaining an advantage in doing so
That's the bit there, which makes it case closed and 100% penalty.

He gained an illegal advantage through his own actions. Lunging at the ball and making your body bigger, covers where the ball can go.

Rossa

It's a blatant penalty. Yes, the distance is short, but that is only because the defender sprinted into the challenge and made himself as big as he possibly could. If he stood still trying to block with his body, it's a completely different situation. It's similar to a kick in the face. If the kick is at face height, we're talking a possible red card. If the player who gets the kick in the face ducks down to having his face 50 cms off the ground, then he's putting himself at risk and no free kick.

In my opinion, it's not only a penalty, but VAR should also be checking it for which colour the card should be. As I said, not only does he clearly block it with his hands, but he puts himself in that position and by all accounts looks to be stopping a goal because of it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I stopped thinking about handball penalties. I think that even refs don't know rules about that.
But i am baffled by foul on Pellistri. Contact from behind on his leg. How the feck that wasn't a penalty?