Was it a red?

paulscholes18

Never a red, unfortunately Elliott got injured. Liam Cooper done the same kind of tackle to Mane a few minutes later.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Based on that clip, looks like a scissor tackle with both feet leaving the ground

saivet

From the one replay it doesn't look like a red card. It's difficult to even tell how his leg/ankle even broke in the replay so can't say it's never a red with strong conviction.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
You might be right, as one is usually focused on the ball, and that part of the action was ok. However I still think it is a red card that is justified. Flying in from behind in that way is just the wrong way to do things. You can do such a tackle, but you should never hit the player during such a tackle. If he stumbles over you that's fine, that happens all the time (for example as mention when AWB does similar tackles), but not in the way it happened here.
Have you seen a different/angle or replay? Nothing has been shown besides real time. And it wasn't a flying tackle. He wasn't from behind, he came from the side. The ankle got caught underneath his leg when it was moving up.

Becks_VII

Looked like a great challenge. Very hard to tell without the replays from different angles though

acnumber9

This is funny, are you seriously believing you will get an objective verdict on a United-forum for a red card in favor of Liverpool? What is certain is that you have seen one angle once, the VAR have multiple angles and cameras. I guess the bunch in the room have a better view than you do.
We know they’ve lied about it though. How can Pawson claim with straight he was always going to send him off when he didn’t even give a free kick until he saw the injury?

ManUnitedCanuck

They'll rescind the red and cancel the 2 match suspension, but it was the correct decision to remove the player from the field of play.

Klopp was disgraceful however. He was more interested in sanctions than the kid's welfare.
I said it during the incident, how does he get away with chasing refs around all the time. He went onto the field to talk to the ref, any other manager and they are sent to the stands.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
You don’t ref based on mood.
Yeah, but it's human nature, isn't it? The referee is God on the pitch. The human element came into play and Pawson made a choice. Doesn't mean it was by the books but I can see why he'd do it.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Based on that clip, looks like a scissor tackle with both feet leaving the ground
Looks more like he caught the trailing leg with his momentum in the challenge rather than scissors!?

Excessive force may apply here, but I'm not seeing anything else at all.

JB7

This is funny, are you seriously believing you will get an objective verdict on a United-forum for a red card in favor of Liverpool? What is certain is that you have seen one angle once, the VAR have multiple angles and cameras. I guess the bunch in the room have a better view than you do.
They're playing Leeds. A United forum is probably a reasonably unbiased place to look for an opinion given we hate them both on similar levels.

It'll be weird if they don't show a single replay of it post-match.

Even if they have to give some advance warnings that it's about to be shown, fine...but it's a pretty important moment in the match and you'd sort of like to see whether or not it warranted a red.

cyberman

Can’t believe Shreeves didn’t go out and interview him ala Rogan and Conor

mu4c_20le

Yeah, but it's human nature, isn't it? The referee is God on the pitch. The human element came into play and Pawson made a choice. Doesn't mean it was by the books but I can see why he'd do it.
Everyone knows why he did it. You are the only one who seems to agree with it

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Looks more like he caught the trailing leg with his momentum in the challenge rather than scissors!?
Looks to me he launches himself, both feet leaving the ground, catching elliot's leg between his

Looks like a psychotic tackle to me honestly, complete disregard for the opponent's safety

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Looks to me he launches himself, both feet leaving the ground, catching elliot's leg between his

Looks like a psychotic tackle to me honestly, complete disregard for the opponent's safety
Every tackle looks like that though no? I mean the act of going full on in front of a player's legs to get a small ball away from them would look psychotic in hindsight if it ended up with a leg break. Regardless of how innocuous a tackle it was. There was a tackle on Mane around the 70 minute mark that was the exact same intensity and type of tackle and it wasn't even a foul. Tackles like that happen 10 times a game in the PL.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Thanks. Same tackle imo
Not for me. Here he goes with one straight leg for the ball (as did Struijk), but he bends the other leg to not hit Mane in a harmful way. Struijk kept his leg straight and therefore applied the full force of his motion on Elliot.

Edit: Saying he kept it straight is not really what happened... in a way he straightened his leg while rolling over and in doing that kicked Elliot. A very unfortunate event, but still a foul for me.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Everyone knows why he did it. You are the only one who seems to agree with it
I understand why he did it. I don't agree with it based on the evidence I saw. But he has the benefit of talking to his team in the background. I don't. They will never show the VAR replay of the injury, so I can't say much more than that.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Not a red. Classic case of the ref basing it on the outcome alone and not the actual challenge. Only human I guess, and it doesn't help when you have Klopp screaming like a banshee at you.

CoopersDream

How anyone can think that's not a foul is beyond me. You can't do whatever you want just because you get the ball. Was it a red? In this case, given the outcome, it's entirely fair.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just a very unfortunate accident I think.

Elliots trailing leg gets trapped by the defenders trailing leg. 9/10 that doesn't happen and play continues, it wouldn't usually be a foul.

Football is a contact sport.

Drainy

Do you prefer it to be less contact? Weird take
I would prefer that skillful players can express themselves. Progress has been made over the last couple of decades, but knuckle draggers want to take us back to the 'take the ball then the man' era, which is a backwards step.

cyberman

I understand why he did it. I don't agree with it based on the evidence I saw. But he has the benefit of talking to his team in the background. I don't. They will never show the VAR replay of the injury, so I can't say much more than that.
VAR shouldn’t get involved if they didn’t refer him to the screen?

90 + 5min

No injury - Freekick.
Injury - Red Card.

There is a thin line. I think it is red, just because of the injury. Rules are there.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There was a tackle on Mane around the 70 minute mark that was the exact same intensity and type of tackle and it wasn't even a foul. Tackles like that happen 10 times a game in the PL.
The one from the other clip? Doesn't look the same. Doesn't launch off the ground with both feet, and is mindful to not catch mane's legs between his

The key here for me is that both feet leave the ground. He basically jumps into elliot's leg

cyberman

I don't believe that's a requisite for any VAR decision. He was having a conversation with the VAR team on his earpiece.
Pretty sure it’s standard? VAR ref can’t overrule on pitch decisions.
Or so I thought

CoopersDream

Outcome is entirely irrelevant when judging a foul.
It clearly isn't though . You can easily say that because it was a leg breaking challenge he did endanger his opponent. I mean, you can say that you see those kind of challenges all the time, but the action his left leg does in the tackle is not pretty IMO.

Swedish_Plumber

No injury - Freekick.
Injury - Red Card.

There is a thin line. I think it is red, just because of the injury. Rules are there.
The thing is though the ref waves play on until Salah brought attention to the severity of the situation. It’s hard to say how bad the tackle was with no replays, but it seemed like an unfortunate injury more so than a horrible tackle.

TrustInOle

First glance, looks like a good challenge, replays show the same except for his trailing leg. I don't think it was a dangerous challenge but my word, young Elliot came off very very unlucky! Hope he recovers quickly and cleanly, not a sight you want to see any player in! :(