Was it a red?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Clear red: yes, got the ball but it was totally reckless, since you have to take account on your other foot. In MMA this would probably be ilegal, jus to give some context.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
It clearly isn't though . You can easily say that because it was a leg breaking challenge he did endanger his opponent. I mean, you can say that you see those kind of challenges all the time, but the action his left leg does in the tackle is not pretty IMO.
It is. Please show me where the rules mention injury or outcome.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Elliot will be back sooner than people believe if it's his ankle. It does look like an ankle break. Last time it happened, it was Andre Gomes after a Son tackle.

It was super surprising to see him back after barely 5 months.

CoopersDream

It is. Please show me where the rules mention injury or outcome.
SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent

Because of it being an injury you can easily argue that it was a challenge that endangered the opponent.

CoopersDream

Doesn't need an injury for that to happen. No relevance.
What are you talking about? It doesn't need to be an injury, sure, but because of it being an injury the challenge clearly did endanger the opponent. Hence it's entirely fair he was sent off.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

That would mean every serious injury is an automatic red card.
What are you talking about? It doesn't need to be an injury, sure, but because of it being an injury the challenge clearly did endanger the opponent. Hence it's entirely fair he was sent off.
See my edit

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Pretty sure it’s standard? VAR ref can’t overrule on pitch decisions.
Or so I thought
I don't think they overruled it. He likely asked them what they saw and what they were seeing on the images that he had no access to. The injury had to play a part in how he dealt with it. The Leeds player who tackled didn't protest, it just goes to show the state of mind they were in.

CoopersDream

That would mean every serious injury is an automatic red card.
Yes, if the challange is what caused the injury it means that every serious injury could be a red card. It's not really a difficult concept to grasp.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t see the Leeds player do a lot wrong, although I couldn’t see a great deal from the footage. Until I get a closer look I’ll say no.

youmeletsfly

First of all, feck that motherfecking whiner of a manager, I can't stand his fecking face.

I just saw the replay, obvious red, disregarding the injury or not. After the initial slide, the Leeds player quickly notices that it won't be enough and hangs his other foot on the other guy's calf and then extends it to make sure it sticks. That, from behind, is a an easy red card.

Withnail

Not for me. Here he goes with one straight leg for the ball (as did Struijk), but he bends the other leg to not hit Mane in a harmful way. Struijk kept his leg straight and therefore applied the full force of his motion on Elliot.

Edit: Saying he kept it straight is not really what happened... in a way he straightened his leg while rolling over and in doing that kicked Elliot. A very unfortunate event, but still a foul for me.

Spot on. I don't think those two tackles are the same either.

big rons sovereign

They'll rescind the red and cancel the 2 match suspension, but it was the correct decision to remove the player from the field of play.

Klopp was disgraceful however. He was more interested in sanctions than the kid's welfare.
Klopps an arsehole, you can be sure if it was the other way around he'd be whining like a bitch.

Imagine the reaction if Leeds fans attacked the ambulance as it left the ground....

Brightonian

Sort of inappropriate to be quibbling over the red card, in the scheme of things it doesn't matter.

In the same spirit, I was surprised to see Klopp and some Liverpool players wasting time trying to get the red given mere seconds after seeing their player on the ground in agony with a horrible injury. Let the referee concentrate on managing a very serious situation. Plenty of time for whinging and card waving once the boy's stable, off the pitch and in the care of the medical staff.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Clear red: yes, got the ball but it was totally reckless, since you have to take account on your other foot. In MMA this would probably be ilegal, jus to give some context.
That context is just absurd. Going for a header would be illegal as well, did Luiz get sent off for fracturing Jimenez' skull?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Correct call. Reckless tackle from behind. Not much to discus.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Unbelievable freak challenge.

Wins the ball cleanly with his right foot, but somehow his left leg does massive damage unintentionally.

The ref wasn't even going to blow up until it became clear something was badly up.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
That context is just absurd. Going for a header would be illegal as well, did Luiz get sent off for fracturing Jimenez' skull?
Different things. In a tackle the chance to hit the ball is small in those circustances, where you tackle from behind.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I've watched it again there as I saw people on twitter claim he didn't get the ball and it's not clear to me from the one angle we have that he touched the ball before taking Elliot out.
Also only saw the one clip, so could well be wrong of course

The Hilton

It's really difficult to tell given the fast footage in the tweet, but it does look like the tackler left the ground, which led to him landing on the trailing leg of Elliot.

There was also clearly a great deal of force behind it as the tackle was launched from a full sprint, and from behind too.

Given the above, I think it's hard to argue against a red, not malicious at all but still out of control. However, I could be wrong, as the footage isn't very good.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Elliot will be back sooner than people believe if it's his ankle. It does look like an ankle break. Last time it happened, it was Andre Gomes after a Son tackle.

It was super surprising to see him back after barely 5 months.
That depends on a whole bunch of factors though. Best to ask @Pogue Mahone

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Seemed like a fairly run of the mill tackle and one you'd expect your player to be making, but, I mean, he did unintentionally snap the kid's ankle. I don't think the tackle itself worthy of a red card, but I'm not too unhappy that a red card was the result in this instance if that makes any sense. Just horribly unfortunate all round.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
No injury - Freekick.
Injury - Red Card.

There is a thin line. I think it is red, just because of the injury. Rules are there.
Originally, Pawson allowed the game to continued, and only blew up when he saw the reaction. Up until then, he didn't even consider it a foul. We saw a near identical challenge a few minutes later on Mane and he deemed it fair.

KetilOwren88

Right decision for me. Defender coming from behind, locking Elliot’s leg. It’s not the worst tackle, but still dangerous. The intention and the fact it’s a bit unlucky doesn’t justify the tackle. The players’s safety comes first. The thing that annoys me though, is that Klopp is free to walk wherever he wants and even follow the ref, whilst other managers have to stay inside the technical zone.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Generally speaking I think if you make a tackle and that tackle breaks someone's leg then you'll have a hard time arguing that a red card for endangering your opponent's safety was unjustly applied.