g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Music Was Queen at Live Aid the best live performance of all time?

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Just watched this for maybe the first time in 5 years and wow was Freddie an absolute showman. He had the audience in his hands from start to finish especially with Radio Gaga. Absolutely iconic with Freddie in his white vest against the backdrop of 90k at Wembley.

foolsgold

No, not even the best performance at Live Aid. U2 were better.

Queen are a badly over rated band, never really saw the appeal.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
No. Radiohead at Glastonbury in 1997.

lsd

The Oracle
Prince's Superbowl show was the best live performance off all time in my humble opinion

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Heart performing Stairway to Heaven with Led Zeppelin watching on was pretty epic. Jason Bonham on drums as well.

foolsgold

U2 have always been terrific live. But I’d say Queen were better / more iconic at Live Aid.
U2 are finished now and Bono is a bit of a dick, but they were exceptionally good back in the day. If we're talking about the finest live performances of all time, for me it's hard to go past Prince. The Sign O the times and Lovesexy tours were simply astonishing. I saw him 4 times and each one with very special.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
U2 are finished now and Bono is a bit of a dick, but they were exceptionally good back in the day. If we're talking about the finest live performances of all time, for me it's hard to go past Prince. The Sign O the times and Lovesexy tours were simply astonishing. I saw him 4 times and each one with very special.
I mean, most artists are finished in their 60s. Bono isn’t really a dick in the grander scheme of things. I agree that they were excellent in their prime (or either side of it too) and feel they get underrated due to the whole Apple fiasco.

Wing Attack Plan R

It’s a strange question. If a person wasn’t there (and I wasn’t) then we’re just going off video. There’s more to it than choreography and set list. Did Queen surprise or transcend on that day? Elton John just played a series of farewell shows, and the one from Dodger stadium was televised. People who went and reviews the next day said it was magical, but I tried watching about 30 minutes of it and gave up. Elton’s voice was small and wavering, he gave up on ascending the right notes, and it was bad enough that it wasn’t even worth watching for free - yet people were over the moon.

So I’ve seen the tapes. Big festival wankery. Queen were a lot better on the 1977 News of the World tour (again video only). So how could a band who objectively peaked 8 years before be in the running?

I don’t know what the feeling is when you’re part of the crowd on the night, but I’m not feeling it with Queen videos. I’m not a fan of the hold-the-mic-out and let the audience fill in the words shows. I want unpredictability, I want there to be some unscripted moments when you get to feel the band is being inspired right in front of you, that you’re witnessing alchemy, not choreography.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
It's my favorite but Prince at the Superbowl (I tried to link but the NFL won't allow it to be played here) is a close second.

amolbhatia50k

It’s a strange question. If a person wasn’t there (and I wasn’t) then we’re just going off video. There’s more to it than choreography and set list. Did Queen surprise or transcend on that day? Elton John just played a series of farewell shows, and the one from Dodger stadium was televised. People who went and reviews the next day said it was magical, but I tried watching about 30 minutes of it and gave up. Elton’s voice was small and wavering, he gave up on ascending the right notes, and it was bad enough that it wasn’t even worth watching for free - yet people were over the moon.

So I’ve seen the tapes. Big festival wankery. Queen were a lot better on the 1977 News of the World tour (again video only). So how could a band who objectively peaked 8 years before be in the running?

I don’t know what the feeling is when you’re part of the crowd on the night, but I’m not feeling it with Queen videos. I’m not a fan of the hold-the-mic-out and let the audience fill in the words shows. I want unpredictability, I want there to be some unscripted moments when you get to feel the band is being inspired right in front of you, that you’re witnessing alchemy, not choreography.
I’d usually rather see choreographed musical excellence rather than some improv. This isn’t comedy skits and it I sn’t a jamming session, people have paid good money to see you play your studio album live. The odd tangent like Queen did (choreographed or not) is the exception. But otherwise it’s about the music and that’s what when choreographed.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Best ever?

Shit costume
Shit lightning
Shit dance choreography

Great songs

Best? Maybe if you're in it and it makes an impression and nostalgic. But best is a subjective matter
Best is always a subjective subjective matter. He’s given his - what’s yours? I don’t think you have to be there btw. Music and many of the other creative arts have a way of transcends time and cultures. Of course it has to connect with you strongly.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Best is always a subjective subjective matter. He’s given his - what’s yours? I don’t think you have to be there btw. Music and many of the other creative arts have a way of transcends time and cultures. Of course it has to connect with you strongly.
You cant say something is best if you dont attend it. At good as it was it's just not the same if you're not there. It's like giving opinion on a michelin star food without actually tasting it

And I'm not shitting on his opinion. It is subjective after all and simply saying that it's not all that objectively speaking, not unless you're there.

amolbhatia50k

You cant say something is best if you dont attend it. At good as it was it's just not the same if you're not there. It's like giving opinion on a michelin star food without actually tasting it

And I'm not shitting on his opinion. It is subjective after all and simply saying that it's not all that objectively speaking, not unless you're there.
Or an opinion on a football match without attending it right? Do you watch YouTube videos on mute?

It’s all subjective. I’m not sure why you’re getting knee deep into the objectivity of said subjectivity. It’s a pointless exercise. I’m sure being present is a vastly superior experience when it comes to concerts but it doesn’t mean you can’t hold an opinion based on solid video footage of said event.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I went to a Queen show in Germany in the early 80s (was only 10 years old at the time). Incredible experience.

Best LIVE show I've ever been to was probably the Prodigy in Atlanta in 96 and again in 97.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Or an opinion on a football match without attending it right? Do you watch YouTube videos on mute?

It’s all subjective. I’m not sure why you’re getting knee deep into the objectivity of said subjectivity. It’s a pointless exercise. I’m sure being present is a vastly superior experience when it comes to concerts but it doesn’t mean you can’t hold an opinion based on solid video footage of said event.
Off course. Saying i get how thw atmosphere in old Trafford without actually being in one is moot.

And if I'm claiming it to be the best off course it's moot because I'm never been there. Regardless of how much i saw on telly with blasting sound.

How's that ridiculous?

amolbhatia50k

Off course. Saying i get how thw atmosphere in old Trafford without actually being in one is moot.

And if I'm claiming it to be the best off course it's moot because I'm never been there. Regardless of how much i saw on telly with blasting sound.

How's that ridiculous?
I think the difference is that you’re seeing a live performance as atmosphere (atmosphere in this analogy) whereas I’m seeing it as musical performance (football contest / performance in this analogy). It’s a mixture of both in all honesty but for me it’s skewed heavily in favour or musical performance.

led_scholes

The Who live at isle of Wight for me tops anything. Also, their album "live at Leeds" is pretty amazing.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think the difference is that you’re seeing a live performance as atmosphere (atmosphere in this analogy) whereas I’m seeing it as musical performance (football contest / performance in this analogy). It’s a mixture of both in all honesty but for me it’s skewed heavily in favour or musical performance.
Without being there in person the musical is nothing more than a song sung on a concert. It's not even better than a studio recorded song.

All I'm saying is that for these kind of things to be good and memorable, you just need to be there. The magic is in the atmosphere, being there, and listening to the roar of 90.000 fans to the tune of your favourite band singing your favourite songs. Without all those, it's just another pop band singing Ok ish song. That particular performance was deemed best by the OP, which is fair play. But not for me, because I'm not there, and from here all I see is just meh. It's not more bombastic than the concerts of other pop songs in terms of lighting, dance choreography, gimmicks, which is no slight at Queen considering it's 20 years from their time. The same way people pay top dollar to be in the concert, instead of simply seeing it at home, you can't capture the moments on DVD.

Not comparing Queen to Cold play in any way, but from outside point of view their concert is more of a spectacle, lighting wise, gimmicks etc. Doesn't mean they're the best for whatever reason, but you can objectively see which one is a better spectacle without having to be there in person. Off course if you're there in person the whole experiences changes and nobody can argue which one you think is better

Revaulx

Stadium rock is shite. The whole Live Aid thing was stomach-churningly naff. Of course cheap vulgar acts like Queen and U2 are/were masters of it.

And Brian May can shove his whiny guitar up his arse.

John Deacon’s songs are good though. And guess what: he’s the only one of them not to have been a massive posing tw@t.