Was Rashford interfering with play?

Was Rashford interfering with play?

• Total voters

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
yes and it's fecking disgrace to humanity. Somebody think about the children watching it!

Dominos

According to the rules it's a legit goal, hence why they give the goal.

However I think the rules are too generous towards the attacking team. Rashford is so close to the ball it causes confusion in the defensive team even if he's not directly interfering with any individual opponent.

Baneofthegame

According to Peter Walton on BT, no.

In my opinion, yes.

But it's City so I don't care.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'd be fuming too, but it shows the rules keep changing so much no-one has a clue.
Was the turning point of the game; the life drained out of them and we came to life. You can imagine they're spitting flames, as I think we would be the other way round.

Wonder if Pep will say anything about that rule.

ArbeitervonWien

Who the feck was he interfering? There was noone near Bruno. They should try to defend instead of complaining.

finneh

I thought so initially, however rewatching it I don't see any difference to the outcome whether Rashford is there or not.

If Akanji could have gotten there he would have done so regardless and Walker was on Fernandes anyway.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Akanji actually didnt do anything. He absolutely was in no position to interfere once the ball went past him
I mean, if you watch the clip you can clearly see that Akanji has Rashford between him and the ball so he's in a position where he is in danger of fouling him. If Rashford isn't there he can run at a different angle for the ball and doesn't need to think of these possible outcomes. You're a lot different when you're running behind someone in football compared to if you're running with nobody in front of you.

acnumber9

I don’t know if Akanji gets it regardless but it probably influences Ederson so maybe.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Wouldve been furious if Feyenoord conceded such a goal, but totally fine if we scored it. Who cares.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He's interfering but under the existing rules it's not offside, so that's that. Fully expect the FA to make a big deal of it even though Salah did similar for Liverpool.

If Rashford tries to intentionally block Akanji then yes, 100% offside. But he doesn't. Rashford is just so brilliant.

Red Star One

If this was scored against us I’d be fecking furious and call it a giant disgrace in VAR era. But we won against City, shit happens :lol:

acnumber9

Just seen the replay from behind and he definitely impacts on Ederson.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think he was becuase he purposely slowed down so akanji has a tougher route to get to the ball. But it's subjective

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
BT doing the magnifier glass camera :lol: . feck off

Pintu

He makes life hard for both Akanji and Ederaon… But who cares, the cheating Abu Dhabi cnuts don’t deserve anything else. And we’ve not had many decisions go our way recently. Enjoy it.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
No: City were expecting him to touch it and be flagged so they didn't bother themselves with and left it for Bruno to take it - City's fault.

We lost a goal in similar circumstances at Goodison a few years ago when the lino didn't flag an off-side player who didn't get involved, and that was back in the days before they were told to keep the flag down until the move plays-out - can't have it both ways.

meamth

Fair plays and derby doesn't go well together. I'm glad we won with that massive shithousery.

Ralaks

In the end it is all about if he interferes with Akanji, City will claim yes obviously, but Bruno was always ahead for the ball

You cant stop defending because a player is offside, if he slacks on the run back because Rashford is offside, then it is on him that he is not further ahead to challenge Bruno

If Akanji has made more of a run for it, and was clearly impeded by Rashford, then it would be offside, otherwise not.

RORY65

I mean, who cares? It help us beat City. As the rules are it probably is the right decision but I would imagine being very irritated if that happened to us.

Bobski

It is one of those that I just instinctively think should be offside from playing and watching the game for near on 40 years. The Law keep changing but down at your local amateur match I think the ref calls that off more times than not. I feel the same around some of the ridiculously soft pens that are given for unavoidable handballs, might be the current interpretation but it doesn't feel right.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'd have been fecking seething if that decision went against us.

But I'd have been seething a lot more with our defence if they went to sleep like City's did and let the onside player take the shot.

justboy68

It was ridiculous but the problem is with the law itself. It was applied correctly. Not our problem. Get the feck in!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Borderline for me but not offside IMO. It's on the right side for us of the pass going to Bruno naturally and City defenders being out of the equation and Rashford letting it run.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
My immediate reaction was that he was taking part in the play, so I would have accepted a offside ruling.

Herman Toothrot

Do not give a shit. Any of you cnuts who said we should sell him to PSG should be ashamed of themselves. Bunch of fecking traitors, this win isn't for you.

chris123

If Akanji and Walker hadn't switched off they would have engaged Rashford with the ball. It's a total 50/50 call on whether you think he actually interfered with them, but it was easily preventable.

Redlyn

He was interfering, the defender could have maybe put on afterburners and got there with a slide tackle but was distracted. It's also their fault for not playing to the whistle.

OverratedOpinion

No real point in debating about it as that rule is entirely at the refs discretion. The VAR and the governing body of refs both said it should have stood so you can't really argue. City can have no complaints, they were dominating then for the 5 minutes beforehand they clearly let us back into the game and we killed them.

TehRed

Didn't touch the ball, didn't impede a defender from getting to the ball, by the letter of the law he's not interfered with play.

justboy68

The funny thing is if one of the defenders just took Rashford out it would have been a city free kick for offside. What a bizarre rule the way it stands.

Ralaks

No: City were expecting him to touch it and be flagged so they didn't bother themselves with and left it for Bruno to take it - City's fault.

We lost a goal in similar circumstances at Goodison a few years ago when the lino didn't flag an off-side player who didn't get involved, and that was back in the days before they were told to keep the flag down until the move plays-out - can't have it both ways.
I think the first point is completely right. Play till the whistle, otherwise dont complain. Akanji clearly doesnt go all in on the runback because he knows Rashford is offside, but that doesnt mean the play stops