Was Sancho a bad signing?

Fts 74

No, he'll be great for us under a proper manager.

One thing that has impressed me is he never seems to panic with his final ball.Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Remember the geese

Agree he'd be a good fit, but he'd probably be a bit part rotational player similar to Grealish (ok that's exaggerating, but point stands). Worth 80 million? I don't think City fans think Grealish was a good signing, but they're not calling him a flop either. He's a good player they massively overspent on.
Yeah he would definitely be rotated, but that is the case for most of their players. He'd be just fine there, although it would be an unnecessary luxury.

Crashoutcassius

Goal assist machine in his career and can play on left or right effectively as evidenced by .. the fact that he has done that.

The team is so bad it isn't easy to draw an conclusions

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Horrifically timed and poorly thought out thread idea. Far too soon to make this kind of judgement and he’s actually been really promising in 2022 despite our dysfunctional side.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Sancho will be the star under ETH.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
He's been ignored for much of the season. Must have dented his confidence. I'd like to see him start regularly next season and we can judge him then.

RedCurry

He’s shown some glimpses of ability but not worth the kind of money we’ve paid for him so far. Let’s hope he will kick on next season under a new manager.

Blood Mage

A poorly timed signing as the need for a defensive midfielder was much greater. But he will be a fantastic player for us in the long run I'm sure.

kundalini

I find it strange that there is so much support for Sancho 3 goals and 3 assists in the PL in 1891 mins, xG90 0.20 xA90 0.19, 1 goal + 0 assists in 394 CL mins, doesn't work particularly hard, does retain possession well.

And endless criticism of Elanga 2 goals + 2 assists in 1080 mins in the PL, xG90 0.24 xA90 0.16, 1 goal + 0 assists in 172 CL mins, does work hard for the team, is relatively poor at retaining possession and falls over a lot.

As things stand, Sancho was a poor signing. That may change.

Bringing in Sancho, having signed Amad and Pellistri was just crazy. How many short, lightweight wide players can we accommodate in our team ?

United have clearly bought far too many players that need the team built around them. Sancho looks like he belongs in this category.

Last edited:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I think he will be the best player with a squad that is setup to play on the front foot. Unsurprising he struggled in his first year coming from the Bundesliga. Give him time.

stepic

This thread is not about Pogba, Rashford, Lingard, Martial or us not signing a DM

We have spent 80m on a winger that's best/most comfortable on the left, when we had no shortage of options there:
  • Rashford
  • Pogba
  • Bruno
  • Martial
  • Lingard
  • And a bunch rascals running around in the academy (Elanga, Garnacho, Shoretire)
Nearly every game I watch, I see a really good player on the LW. It's one of the most stacked positions in modern football.
Right now I'm watching Zinckernagel at Forest. looks talented. Off the top of my head, the last couple of matches I've watched, I've seen:
  • Gordon, - Everton
  • Danjuma - Villareal
  • Diaz - Liverpool
  • Sinisterra - Feyenoord
  • Cody Gakpo - PSV
  • Nkunku - RB Leipzig
All very attainable players.

For such a massive fee shouldn't you always sign a finished product, especially in a position that holds no shortage of talent?

Was Sancho a bad signing? Did we overspend on a talented player? Should you ever spent 80 million on a right footed winger that isn't Ballon D'or level?
‘Plenty of options’ that include 3 players gone in the summer, 1 player who has never played LW for us and another who is in the worst form of his career and is likely never a starter for us again.

This is a bad thread.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
‘Plenty of options’ that include 3 players gone in the summer, 1 player who has never played LW for us and another who is in the worst form of his career and is likely never a starter for us again.

This is a bad thread.
This comment has been made a dozen times by other people with short memories as well.

We're not signing Sancho this upcoming summer. We signed him last summer, things were different back then.

Plenty of people were of the opinion Pogba/Martial/Lingard/Dan James should stay and would kick on (I disagreed and wanted the lot sold, partly because we got Sancho and I rated Elanga)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Very disappointing indeed but only first season. He was invested for future anyway not for one season.

stepic

This comment has been made a dozen times by other people with short memories as well.

We're not signing Sancho this upcoming summer. We signed him last summer, things were different back then.

Plenty of people were of the opinion Pogba/Martial/Lingard/Dan James should stay and would kick on (I disagreed and wanted the lot sold, partly because we got Sancho and I rated Elanga)
Things were different but given what has happened subsequently, why is this even a question now? If anything it has made his signing even more important.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
To be honest, I think he was bad signing for Ole, but I believe he will come good under ETH.

Has shown glimpse of his talent this season, but overall quite disappointing, but that is because we are very disjointed as a team while he is a player who relies on system.

cyril C

too early to conclude. But the personnel responsible for our recruitment failure in the past decade, finally have the right questions asked.

Chripper

Really good question.

I don't know. Prior to him joining United, my only exposure to Sancho was England matches. And not to put too fine a point on it, but, he's been bad playing for England.

He's shown glimpses. He's more of a "one-two" winger than an actual beating players with pace. Which is fine.

The jury is still out.

I'm willing to give pretty much every squad player a clean slate now that we have ETH on board.

meamth

Genuinely world class potential, no way bad signing.

If we want a technical gifted team he is the one to build around.

Now we need more players like him, Nkunku and others.

Abraxas

I'm pretty sure if he's a good or bad signing at 80 million will be determined by the next season or so. As much as many people are giving a definitive no, the reality is we don't know how he's going to respond next season to be so certain, we're really just backing him off potential. If he hits Dortmund numbers fantastic, if he performs like this year it's bordering on a flop, if he's somewhere in the middle it's sort of okay but not what was advertised.

It wouldn't take that much for him to look poor value because he started off at such a huge price tag. The old Maguire problem.

Personally I haven't thought about judging the overall merit of the signing because I prefer to give a couple years, especially with young players and those from other leagues.

The premise around the left wing at Utd being stacked is just plain wrong, however. At a certain point it was but Sancho is the only one to currently hang your hat on.

NoPace

No, he's good and young and doesn't seem like a problem character. Not much more costly than Wan-Bissaka. We could sell Sancho for 60M tomorrow.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
No. He has been disappointing though, but he's needs some more time. If he struggles next season then it wouldn't be wrong to get rid of him.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I think he will be viewed as a good (probably great) signing for you when all is said and done.

His performance has obviously suffered due to a bunch of factors ( new league, system, lack of coaching under Ole etc) but Id expect him to put that all behind him over the summer with a proper preseason. (I actually think the beginning of the season really hurt his confidence too and felt a bit sorry for him at times after arriving from such a well coached team where he had clear instruction)

I think there was a portion of the United fan base (based on some comments over the season) who were expecting a "Diaz" style explosive wing forward instead of a more "Mata"-esque player who links up and builds up with players around him (Not that he doesn't have moments of individual brilliance in his locker) and because of this he's been seen as a bit of a "Let down" due to the fact he isn't beating people for fun.

It's one thing to be disappointed in a signing for not delivering on their promise (which he hasn't to be honest) but to expect something that never really was a reality and use it as a stick to beat a young player with is a little unfair.

Think you will see the best of him sooner rather than later.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Regardless, our rivals are always smarter than us with key signings though.

Sancho -76m
Diaz - 40m

Maguire - 80m
Dias - 61m

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
For me, based on how he has played so far, he hasn't been a good signing when you look at how much he cost us. For that sort of money, you are expecting someone who can regularly drive the team forward and influence games. Sadly he hasn't been able to be that person yet. Now whether he can step up under a new manager is a different matter. Hopefully considering his age he can become that person and in a couple more years we can all say he has been a success.

Nicolarra90

Sancho -76m
Diaz - 40m

Maguire - 80m
Dias - 61m
If he was English, Brazilian or Argentinian he'd have costed over 100m.
He was the most impressive player from Conmebol for over a year but our scouts were blind for Sancho.

Hopefully Sancho has a better second year or we could properly say the transfer was a failure.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If he was English, Brazilian or Argentinian he'd have costed over 100m.
He was the most impressive player from Conmebol for over a year but our scouts were blind for Sancho.

Hopefully Sancho has a better second year or we could properly say the transfer was a failure.
I hope we could stop our obsession on “British core” as they are not doing us any favour and costing us a lot.

Maguire - 80m - decent for a while, but becomes a joke, massively overpriced, failed
Sancho - 76m - some potential, but disappointing in his first season, not worth the money we are paying so far, jury still out
AWB - 49m - failed as attacking WB in modern football
Shaw - 33m - decent for a while, but largely underwhelming
Rashford - academy - some potential but poor attitude on pitch, by far our worst attacker this season, failed
Lingard - academy - becomes one of most hateful player in our squad, failed
Greenwood - academy - failed as human being
Mctominay - academy - good attitude but lack of talent, decent squad player but not good enough as first team midfielder

Last edited:

ash_86

Hugely underwhelming signing. He lacks that extra bit of pace to beat his man and hence will be a poor signing for team that don't have an attacking fullback to overlap.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I didn't want him primarily because I found his CL performances a level below his Bundesliga performances.

Then on top of that, he was bought as a RW who has now hardly played in that position.

Anyway, what's done is done and I've just come to think of him as our replacement for Anthony Martial who is not good enough himself.

SouthPredators4

I rate him extremely high and would go as far as building a team to compliment his strengths. From his playing style, he does best in a well drilled system with plenty of movements, both on and off the ball. His vision, control and movements are top class and under a static unrehearsed team of individuals under Ole, i'm not surprised he's unable to shine.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Time will tell. His first season has been average at best. A lot of mitigating circumstances tbf but in a couple years we will have a definitive answer either way.

Okey

One has to admit it's been a disappointing first season for him. But then it's been a disappointing season for the team as a whole. Thankfully it's a proper new era next season. I expect him to be a great deal better next term. He has to, otherwise there would be more threads like this.

philnguyen1994

Maybe we should try what we did against Brentford, but with Sancho in Mata's number 10 position. Otherwise, Sancho's lack of explosive pace does seem a bit of an issue as a winger in the Premier League.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
No, he's the type of signing we should make more often. If he reaches his potential under ETH, he could go down as one of the best in the league in his position.

finneh

Sancho -76m
Diaz - 40m

Maguire - 80m
Dias - 61m
Not to mention that Sancho is earning £350k a week compared with Diaz who's earning £60k, therefore over 5 years it's closer to £55m vs £160m

Hopefully this is one of the reasons for Judge leaving. Paying one of the highest salaries in the world to a 21 year old that has proven very little is poor.