Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That's what the media reports were saying when they surfaced this week.
so at the moment there is no clear info on when exactly it was, plus Fergie said that he was left out today due to his transfer request - whereas he did play some part last week and started against Villa and Arsenal.

Backrow Singer

During one of Fergie's interviews after the celebrations.
Cheers mate, just got back so haven't seen any interviews.

I think when you are as good a footballer as Wayne Rooney, your pride is going to be stung when you've been left out of games like Madrid, and you've been taken off regularly, and you don't get to play for a club like United without that.

I reckon it's a case of Moyes putting his arm round him, and explaining just how big a part he has to play at this club, because he is a senior player now, and is as crucial a figure as any in this transitional period. We need Wayne Rooney at this club.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't want Rooney out. He's a great player on his day and he could get some second wind from being managed slightly differently under Moyes. That said, we'll manage just fine should he leave.

If Moyes is willing to give Hernandez a proper shot at it, I think he's ready to take another step. RVP and Hernandez as our main strikers, Welbeck and maybe a youngster (Keane?) behind 'em. Add to that a Kagawa who will hopefully start firing on all cylinders next season and better performances from our wingers (won't take much to improve on this season) - and we look dangerous enough even without replacing Rooney with some big name striker.

We don't need Rooney to stay (but nice if he does). And we don't need to buy Lewandowski or whoever to replace him. Much wiser to spend the money elsewhere. We won't struggle finishing off our chances with RVP and Chicharito up front.

kps88

so at the moment there is no clear info on when exactly it was, plus Fergie said that he was left out today due to his transfer request - whereas he did play some part last week and started against Villa and Arsenal.
Wasn't he involved in the first team and then later dropped to the bench the last time he put in his request too?

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
This part I agree with. Valencia, Welbeck and Giggs can have truly awful games and not get subbed off but Rooney has a sub par performance and he's off. It must frustrate him a bit to be subbed so frequently when he isn't even putting in really poor performances.
What are you on about?! He's been completely dire on numerous occasions this season, with people in the match thread often practically begging Fergie to take him off. Rooney's our highest paid player and should be performing a lot better than Valencia, Welbeck and Giggs anyway.

starman

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Wasn't he involved in the first team and then later dropped to the bench the last time he put in his request too?
Isn't that the way it should be? Or do we want to look like complete twats like City in their awful handling of the Tevez affair?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If Sir Alex is leaving at end of season and David Moyes doesn't start until 1st July, then whose problem is Rooney in between?

kps88

Isn't that the way it should be? Or do we want to look like complete twats like City in their awful handling of the Tevez affair?
Was talking about whether him playing games proves he had not yet requested for a transfer.

But no, I don't think we'll look like twats at all if we decided to drop him.

wr8_utd

:'(
Best player? No but he's had a more than decent season. From an attacking point of view, he's been our best player after RvP.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
If you think the timing of that request will now have a bearing on his decision, I can't see it.

One U turn was enough allied with the huge disappointment felt by the fans. Don't think there's any turning back now.Yes we'll miss his goals and creativity but that doesn't mean we won't have another.

Don't know why this has to be said but here goes yet again

Utd are bigger than any one player.We got on with it after Keane,Ronaldo and other great players left.It's a sorry state of affairs if fans out there believe there are no players in the world who can't fill the void
the timing is vital for 2 reasons:
1) to know just how big of a cnut Rooney is
2) if he didnt know that Fergie was leaving then he might change his mind and go for a fresh start with Moyes (although they also have a history of course)

Personally, I want to sell him ASAP - ideally to an overseas club. He is no longer vital to our success and 2 years left on contract is a good time to cash in.

Inigo Montoya

Best, Ronaldo, perhaps Law... struggling to think of any others.
Even if you narrow it down to those 2, we still survived, and only arguably Ronaldo went on to excel his achievements at Utd...but he hasn't won another UCL nor does he appear happier.

Rooney may earn more money, but I can't see him really going on to bigger or better, can you?

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
What are you on about?! He's been completely dire on numerous occasions this season, with people in the match thread often practically begging Fergie to take him off. Rooney's our highest paid player and should be performing a lot better than Valencia, Welbeck and Giggs anyway.
What! How much they are being paid should have no bearing on who is substituted. He has never been as bad as Valencia or on occasions Giggs.

As a professional footballer when you see players around you having nightmare after nightmare but yet it's you getting subbed it must be extremely demoralising.

Inigo Montoya

Best player? No but he's had a more than decent season. From an attacking point of view, he's been our best player after RvP.
In a rather mediocre season he's hardly lit up the PL, nor has he really played to his potential.

I'd rather sell a Rooney playing like that than keep him

wr8_utd

:'(
The Telegraph

The 27-year-old, who watched the 2-1 victory against Swansea from an executive box after being omitted from the matchday squad, was jeered and whistled by some supporters as he collected his Premier League winners’ medal following the game.

Persistent rumours of Ferguson and Rooney’s relationship breaking down in recent months were given added weight by the pair sharing a curt handshake following the medal presentation.

It is understood that Rooney asked for a transfer during a meeting with Ferguson two weeks ago.

The arrival of David Moyes as Ferguson’s successor could save Rooney’s Old Trafford career should the incoming manager hand the forward – who he sold to United for £27million in August 2004 – a lifeline at the club.

But despite the insistence of Ferguson and Manchester United that Rooney would not be sold, the player’s future is likely to be a pressing issue for Moyes.

“I don’t think Wayne was keen to play, simply because he has asked for a transfer,” Ferguson said. “I think he wants to think it through in his mind and I think that is a good idea. We have refused it. I think he should go away and think about it again, but it’s not my decision now.”

With Rooney becoming a peripheral figure in recent weeks since being dropped to the substitutes’ bench for the Champions League second-round tie against Real Madrid in March, Ferguson claims that the player’s stance is fuelled by his fall from grace. But he insists that Rooney would not be in this position had he played his best this season.

“He wasn’t happy about being brought off in games this season,” Ferguson said. “Wayne Rooney in top form wouldn’t be taken off. But we are not going to let him go. I just think he is maybe a bit frustrated about being taken off once or twice in the last few weeks.”

While sources close to the Rooney camp claim that the player is open-minded about remaining at the club once Ferguson is replaced by Moyes, the new manager will have the final say, rather than Ferguson.

But former United captain Gary Neville, a long-time team-mate of Rooney at Old Trafford, has warned the Liverpudlian that he risks making a mistake if he leaves the club.

“He has not been himself over these last couple of months, you can see there is something wrong,” Neville said. “However, if he has seen what has happened here today, that reception before the game, as he was sat up there in that box and looked around him, he’s 27 years of age, there is nowhere to go from here, believe me.

“I’ve seen players join Real Madrid and other great clubs in Europe and they always want to come back to this club.

“So I would hope that Rooney settles down over the summer, that he gets his head down and that he brings himself back.

“Players have ups and downs, it’s a rollercoaster if you play for this club for 20 years, it’s a not a bed of roses at times, you have your ups and downs.

“You struggle mentally at times, he might not think that, but he will be going through a difficult moment.

“He needs to come away and play for England in these next couple of weeks then have a summer off and hopefully he will get his head back to being a United player because there is nowhere to go after here.”

Neville hinted at Rooney being badly advised by his associates following the forward’s second attempt to leave United in three years.

“He has an agent by the way and he has got friends and they need to give him advice that this is the only club he should be playing at.

“Ryan Giggs, when he was around 27 or 28, there were rumours of him moving to Italy, but he has been through that and he could do worse than have a chat with Wayne at this moment.”

Neville’s comments about Giggs being able to play a key role in the Rooney issue were echoed by former United goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel.

“This is the biggest place in the world to play football,” he said, “and I think the new manager can do himself a favour by first of all having a meeting with Ryan Giggs, quickly get him on board and solve this situation with Rooney once and for all.”
Good little article with all the quotes from Neville, Fergie and Schmeichel about how he needs to stay. I can really see Neville having a chat with with him in the international break coming up.

Inigo Montoya

The Rooney Ronaldo partnership still gives me goosebumps. Top player sad to see him go.
Ronnie was honest about his desire to go to Madrid.

Rooney is just disrespecting the fans...is that what you think we deserve?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
I never bought the 'lack of ambitions' reasons the last time around. It was about money.
Sure John O'Shea said exactly that in his book - that it was all about money. John said that Rooney came into the dressing room after agreeing a new contract & apologised to the players by saying: "i'm sorry, but i did what i had to do.."

Never felt the same about that prick since. Never forgave him for demandin shit-loads more money (probably around 100k extra per wk) by threatening to join City & most of the fans that pay his feckin wages were/are struggling to make ends meet in the height of the recession.

I ranted about this on here many times, but since the recession became official in September 2008 - top footballers have doubled their money in the space of 2years, and the average footballer has had a serious wage increase aswell.

All-in-all, they've feckin prospered at football fans expense, when ticket prices had to rise to pay these cnuts demands & the ordinary football fan had dig even deeper & in many cases sacrificed food, clothing for their kids to go watch their team.

That shit has happened & families have suffered because of the football obsession we all have - thats not right imo & footballers are to fecking blame as much as those football fans who live beyond their & their family's means!

Inigo Montoya

Sure John O'Shea said exactly that in his book - that it was all about money. John said that Rooney came into the dressing room after agreeing a new contract & apologised to the players by saying: "i'm sorry, but i did what i had to do.."

Never felt the same about that prick since. Never forgave him for demandin shit-loads more money (probably around 100k extra per wk) by threatening to join City & most of the fans that pay his feckin wages were/are struggling to make ends meet in the height of the recession.

I ranted about this on here many times, but since the recession became official in September 2008 - top footballers have doubled their money in the space of 2years, and the average footballer has had a serious wage increase aswell.

All-in-all, they've feckin prospered at football fans expense, when ticket prices had to rise to pay these cnuts demands & the ordinary football fan had dig even deeper & in many cases sacrificed food, clothing for their kids to go watch their team.

That shit has happened & families have suffered because of the football obsession we all have - thats not right imo & footballers are to fecking blame as much as those football fans who live beyond their & their family's means!
There's alot of sense in what you say regarding the morality of modern PL footballers.

However we make our choices about going not them.I made the choice over the last 2 years to give up my season ticket partly because of the recession and partly because my son was already in Manchester. He's coming back soon but I still won't be renewing due to finances, if he wantsd to go then he pays for it end of.

We make our own choices in that regard, I don't blame them for people forking out and enduring hardship

Dominos

Ronnie was honest about his desire to go to Madrid.

Rooney is just disrespecting the fans...is that what you think we deserve?
So Ronaldo publically saying he'd rather play for someone else every summer is fine, having a chat with the manager and asking to leave is disrespecting the fans...

Caf logic.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
There's a bloody big difference between, 'I want to leave' and 'if you no longer see me as part of the team I will leave'

That's where we are. No way would he have brought his son on the pitch today had he demanded to leave.

He was as shocked as anybody when he didn't start against Real Madrid. Sorry but let's not all blame Rooney for this one. We've seen it a good few times before.

Seveneric

First I've ever heard about this:annoyed:

Dominos

Are you not a football fan then?
I'm one of the few exceptions, thankfully...

I hear Rooney's asked to leave, I think "oh well, fair enough it's his choice, if he doesn't sign a new deal we sell him and move on".
The majority go "how fecking dare he the fecking cnut. If he doesn't want to be here he can feck off. cnut. feck. Twat".

Inigo Montoya

So Ronaldo publically saying he'd rather play for someone else every summer is fine, having a chat with the manager and asking to leave is disrespecting the fans...

Caf logic.
That's your rather revisionist take on it. But we knew his long term ambition was to play for Madrid anbd he signalled that intent without holding the club to ransom.He didn't disrespect me, we got one more season out of him, finished champs and he was leading goalscorer.

Rooney fanboy....caf logic!

Zen86

There's a bloody big difference between, 'I want to leave' and 'if you no longer see me as part of the team I will leave'

That's where we are. No way would he have brought his son on the pitch today had he demanded to leave.

He was as shocked as anybody when he didn't start against Real Madrid. Sorry but let's not all blame Rooney for this one. We've seen it a good few times before.
:lol:

Ash_G

I was shocked he didn't play against Madrid but then I saw how Welbeck was linking up with RVP and keeping in mind how Rooney did out wide in the away leg, it made perfect sense that he didn't start. He was hardly inspiring when he came on as well.

It's fair play if Rooney is maybe questioning his worth to the team but you can pin a lot of that on he, himself not performing to the level that he should be. It's fair enough that others haven't performed great either, i.e. Valencia, Kagawa, Welbeck and Giggs have all been in and out of the team and they get the same treatment, either not starting matches or getting subbed off and if Rooney is playing closer to their level then to star player status then rightly he should get treated as they do.

Inigo Montoya

Precisely!

SAF knew he wanted to end up playing there and got one more season out of him.He never disrespected the club or the manager in the way Rooney did.

Dominos

That's your rather revisionist take on it. But we knew his long term ambition was to play for Madrid anbd he signalled that intent without holding the club to ransom.He didn't disrespect me, we got one more season out of him, finished champs and he was leading goalscorer.

Rooney fanboy....caf logic!
So what Rooney should have done is constantly told us his ambition was to play for another club all these years, and he'd have been spared the backlash from the supporters. That would've ended well.

Ronaldo didn't disrespect you personally, but Rooney did?

NoLogo

I'm one of the few exceptions, thankfully...

I hear Rooney's asked to leave, I think "oh well, fair enough it's his choice, if he doesn't sign a new deal we sell him and move on".
The majority go "how fecking dare he the fecking cnut. If he doesn't want to be here he can feck off. cnut. feck. Twat".
I'm pretty much with you here.

I don't get it why so many people seem to think a player wanting to move is the biggest personal insult in the world to them.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
In 2010, I posted in the newbs saying that Fergie would shaft him the very first chance he gets over his transfer crap...

2013, Fergie has taken his chance and shafted him big time!

And honestly, I fecking love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.