Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
So what Rooney should have done is constantly told us his ambition was to play for another club all these years, and he'd have been spared the backlash from the supporters. That would've ended well.

Ronaldo didn't disrespect you personally, but Rooney did?
all these years? What utter crap.

Pointless having a discussion with people who make up stuff and talk bollocks

Yes he did disrespect me as a fan. ronaldo didn't because I and a lot of fellow mnatch going fans knew as a foreign player he'd go eventually.
#

wr8_utd

:'(
Precisely!

SAF knew he wanted to end up playing there and got one more season out of him.He never disrespected the club or the manager in the way Rooney did.
Right. All he ever did was whine all summer about wanting to go to Madrid, make God his agent and call himself a slave. I wish all our players show respect like Ronaldo.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
I was shocked he didn't play against Madrid but then I saw how Welbeck was linking up with RVP and keeping in mind how Rooney did out wide in the away leg, it made perfect sense that he didn't start. He was hardly inspiring when he came on as well.

It's fair play if Rooney is maybe questioning his worth to the team but you can pin a lot of that on he, himself not performing to the level that he should be. It's fair enough that others haven't performed great either, i.e. Valencia, Kagawa, Welbeck and Giggs have all been in and out of the team and they get the same treatment, either not starting matches or getting subbed off and if Rooney is playing closer to their level then to star player status then rightly he should get treated as they do.
I disagree a player like Rooney you should persevere with, a bit like SAF has done with Valencia(without any result). We've all come to expect rooney's poor first touch and general poor play when he comes back from an injury. Why do we think this will be any different if he's is constantly being dropped and subbed?

wr8_utd

Ronaldo hitched his skirt up and flashed his knickers at Madrid every fecking summer through the press.

Rooney has acted appropriately by doing it in private. Both times it's been Ferguson who's made it public.
What Rooney did isn't exactly right but the staggering difference in attitude towards Rooney and Ronaldo on here is mystifying.

Spoony

The People's President
Ronaldo hitched his skirt up and flashed his knickers at Madrid every fecking summer through the press.

Rooney has acted appropriately by doing it in private. Both times it's been Ferguson who's made it public.
They can't see those piercing blue eyes.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sure John O'Shea said exactly that in his book - that it was all about money. John said that Rooney came into the dressing room after agreeing a new contract & apologised to the players by saying: "i'm sorry, but i did what i had to do.."

Never felt the same about that prick since. Never forgave him for demandin shit-loads more money (probably around 100k extra per wk) by threatening to join City & most of the fans that pay his feckin wages were/are struggling to make ends meet in the height of the recession.

I ranted about this on here many times, but since the recession became official in September 2008 - top footballers have doubled their money in the space of 2years, and the average footballer has had a serious wage increase aswell.

All-in-all, they've feckin prospered at football fans expense, when ticket prices had to rise to pay these cnuts demands & the ordinary football fan had dig even deeper & in many cases sacrificed food, clothing for their kids to go watch their team.

That shit has happened & families have suffered because of the football obsession we all have - thats not right imo & footballers are to fecking blame as much as those football fans who live beyond their & their family's means!
I agree with every word you say. But it's a generic issue, footballers are being pushed on by agents and entourages and God knows what these days. It's not even greed in the traditional sense, it's a whole culture gone mad.

You have to look long and hard these days for a player who will tell his agent to feck off when he comes whispering that there's more money to be made, either at the club or at some other club. It's a sad state of affairs, to be sure, but I really don't think Rooney's any worse than the rest of 'em.

The ransom thing is an easy stick to beat him with. I have the feeling, though, that the line which separates other United players from being "officially" money grabbing whores is a very thin one. Just saying.

Ash_G

I disagree a player like Rooney you should persevere with, a bit like SAF has done with Valencia(without any result). We've all come to expect rooney's poor first touch and general poor play when he comes back from an injury. Why do we think this will be any different if he's is constantly being dropped and subbed?
I agree that Valencia has been given an extended time to get his form back but that's also been down to a lack of options out wide who are actually playing well there as well. Plus maybe Fergie thinks the extra defensive protection and width he gives us is enough to persevere with. He's not been immune to getting benched or subbed either way though, he too didn't play against Real.

You should persevere with your star man as long as you need to. In the past when he was our star player we needed to stick with him. But now we have a player on equal if not slightly higher footing than him in RVP and we have genuine goal threats like Hernandez at our disposal. I don't think we should have to accept Rooney's dip in ability if we don't have to and I would say that as with any player, if they're not performing you should take them off/bench them until they perform.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What Rooney did isn't exactly right but the staggering difference in attitude towards Rooney and Ronaldo on here is mystifying.
It's because since Rooney's English, people expected him to always stay at the best team in England, so it took everyone by surprise that he didn't want to be a one club man (for the most part). Ronaldo was Portuguese, so with him it was accepted that he would one day leave. Makes a big difference in the eyes of most.

Dominos

all these years? What utter crap.

Pointless having a discussion with people who make up stuff and talk bollocks

Yes he did disrespect me as a fan. ronaldo didn't because I and a lot of fellow mnatch going fans knew as a foreign player he'd go eventually.
#
I was posing a hypothetical situation and question that you raised, saying if he'd have publically stated his intentions to leave over the years, would that have made it all ok? How can I have made anything up, I didn't even state anything as fact or even opinion :lol:

So you think we fans deserve personal updates on player's future intentions in regards to leaving the club, and if that is not adhered to they are disrespecting us? Fair enough, but that's fecking mental.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly

Completely agree. Rooney's received dog's abuse today for "spoiling Fergie's day". It wasn't Rooney who told us all, it was Fergie himself.

To be fair to Wayne, he celebrated like everyone else. Not as if he took his medal and toodled off down the tunnel.

I think everyone should settle down a bit, and that of course includes Rooney himself. Some of you may look like fools when he might suddenly make a u-turn and decide that he wasn't thinking straight. I'll be patient - it'll be one hell of an annoying summer, but I'll try to be patient.

He may not have had a huge impact on our title this season, but he is an important player for us. On his day, there aren't that many that are better than him in that #10 role.

I for one seriously hope he stays - we're weaker without him no doubt. Am I annoyed with him? Yes I am. He shouldn't really complain about lack of game time when his performances this season has been sub-par. Nevertheless, I do think that he's just not thinking straight. I think seeing RVP receiving all the plaudits, deservedly, when Rooney's the one who usually is praised has hurt him a little. Is that childish? Yes it is, but that's the type of player Rooney is. He needs the confidence. If he doesn't receive the attention, he won't be happy. There are hundreds of players like that out there.

I think it'll be up to Moyes. He can either convince him that he needs to stay, or he can tell Rooney to do one.

Rooney's given us 9 years of entertaining football, and successful ones too. He's not a player who's been with us for 2 or 3 seasons and then suddenly wants to feck off. Give him time.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Ronaldo of course disrespected us in the way he went about his move to Madrid but one way or the other, that was always gonna happen. But he never once questioned Fergie's and the club's ambition nor did he ever belittle his team mates in order to get a few extra quid!

wr8_utd

Ronaldo of course disrespected us in the way he went about his move to Madrid but one way or the other, that was always gonna happen. But he never once questioned Fergie's and the club's ambition nor did he ever belittle his team mates in order to get a few extra quid!
Well Ronaldo did get a contract at the end of his summer of flirting in 2008, didn't he? And why would we expect Rooney to stay at United all his career? I think people are a bit spoilt by Giggs, Scholes and Neville and expect everyone to be the same. Rooney has given us 9 of his best years!

The White Pele

Would we all agree that Rooney's agent is a bit of an arsehole? A great agent, but an arsehole.
Yes. The biggest mistake Rooney has made was the statement he released after Ferguson made his first transfer request public and I think that probably came from his agent.

Dominos

Ronaldo was getting dogs abuse on here in the summer of 2008 and there was a general teenage girl bitchiness towards him on here from them on. Back then Rooney was the forum darling, and over the years their roles have reversed and it's Ronaldo that never did a thing wrong and Rooney with the attitude and loyalty issues. It's quite a transformation.

Care_de_Bobo

He may not have had a huge impact on our title this season, but he is an important player for us. On his day, there aren't that many that are better than him in that #10 role.
Because it was so early in the season and RVP got the late winner I think people forget how important his two goals against City were. Who knows how the season would've turned out had we lost that game.

Dominos

Well Ronaldo did get a contract at the end of his summer of flirting in 2008, didn't he? And why would we expect Rooney to stay at United all his career? I think people are a bit spoilt by Giggs, Scholes and Neville and expect everyone to be the same. Rooney has given us 9 of his best years!
No, his last contract was April 2007.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
That contract was only to up the transfer fee as we all know now that Fergie convinced him to stay another year.

I don't mind if a player wants to leave. Everyone needs or wants a new challenge at some point but Rooney is been a twat for the 2nd time here!

He's a prima donna!!...Getting arsey about been taking off in a few games..If he was doing his job properly he woudn't be taking off!!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Not true at all - last time it was clearly Rooney's PR team putting threats to leave in the press to force a better contract.
This time it does seem more to have come from the club, I reckon this is Fergie punishing Rooney for this actions in 2010 and I am glad he is doing it.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Best, Ronaldo, perhaps Law... struggling to think of any others.
Not saying they were better but Hughes, Kanschelskis & Ince left together one summer and we survived. Keano left and we survived. RvN was prolific and left but we still carried on winning trophies. I hope Rooney stays, that is a rejuvenated Rooney, but if he goes then so be it, thats football, we'll get on with it.

Dominos

Because it was so early in the season and RVP got the late winner I think people forget how important his two goals against City were. Who knows how the season would've turned out had we lost that game.
We'd have still won the title I reckon, but that is besides the point.

Also the only goals against Fulham and Reading to get us the 3 points, 2 against Southampton that got us the 3 points. He's been our 2nd most productive player still, and he's missed a lot of games through injury and illness, and has been fecked about a lot if we're honest.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Sure John O'Shea said exactly that in his book - that it was all about money. John said that Rooney came into the dressing room after agreeing a new contract & apologised to the players by saying: "i'm sorry, but i did what i had to do.."

Never felt the same about that prick since. Never forgave him for demandin shit-loads more money (probably around 100k extra per wk) by threatening to join City & most of the fans that pay his feckin wages were/are struggling to make ends meet in the height of the recession.

I ranted about this on here many times, but since the recession became official in September 2008 - top footballers have doubled their money in the space of 2years, and the average footballer has had a serious wage increase aswell.

All-in-all, they've feckin prospered at football fans expense, when ticket prices had to rise to pay these cnuts demands & the ordinary football fan had dig even deeper & in many cases sacrificed food, clothing for their kids to go watch their team.

That shit has happened & families have suffered because of the football obsession we all have - thats not right imo & footballers are to fecking blame as much as those football fans who live beyond their & their family's means!
Sorry, but anyone who sacrifices his kids' food and clothing so he can go to football has no-one to blame for his situation but himself.

As for the players, I don't blame them for taking as much as they can get. It's the clubs who pay them the money and pass the costs on to the fans, and it's the fans who want the best players and pay the ticket prices to afford them. There's not many people turn down money when it's there for the taking, and I bet many of us here have said some stuff we don't really mean in pay negotiations. What you don't do is do it through the press. Every year.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I can't understand the reason with keeping him, especially after season where he showed he isn't our best player, but I'll trust Fergie on this as always.

Btw, this could be blessing in disguise for both Welbeck and Kagawa, so I'm more happy than sad. As the matter of fact, I am not sad at all, because he showed before what kind of idiot he is.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Agents are twats but we can't keep blaming them, they're employed by players for a reason.
If they're employed by their players then how come they demand/get agents fee's from clubs & not the player?

Eden Hazard for instance, his agent was lookin something like £5m for his part in completing any transfer from Lille. Fergie said that himself too, after it was widely reported!

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Lets not go in for silly revisionism. Rooney has been a vital, vital player for us and one of the best we've had. For this season and every other he's been here.

He's an idiot. But I'm not going to dismiss his enormous contribution to Manchester United until he rocks up in a City/Chelsea shirt and kisses the badge like he did at Everton in '05.

Until then, he has my respect as a Manchester United footballer.

Sorry, but anyone who sacrifices his kids' food and clothing so he can go to football has no-one to blame for his situation but himself.
Exactly. :lol:

United>Kids>Wife is a cute banner. An extraordinarly twatish way to actually behave.

wr8_utd

That contract was only to up the transfer fee as we all know now that Fergie convinced him to stay another year.

I don't mind if a player wants to leave. Everyone needs or wants a new challenge at some point but Rooney is been a twat for the 2nd time here!

He's a prima donna!!...Getting arsey about been taking off in a few games..If he was doing his job properly he woudn't be taking off!!
From the BBC :

Manchester United have accepted a world record-shattering £80m bid from Real Madrid for Cristiano Ronaldo.

"United have agreed to give Real Madrid permission to talk to the player," read a statement from the Old Trafford club.

It added the decision came at the 24-year-old winger's request after he "again expressed his desire to leave".
So Rooney is being a twat because he asked (without the media flirting) twice but Ronaldo asked more than once and that's forgivable? Okay

Dominos

I can't understand the reason with keeping him, especially after season where he showed he isn't our best player, but I'll trust Fergie on this as always.

Btw, this could be blessing in disguise for both Welbeck and Kagawa, so I'm more happy than sad. As the matter of fact, I am not sad at all, because he showed before what kind of idiot he is.
Do you really think we wont replace him with a big name striker if he does leave? I don't see much benefit for Welbeck or Kagawa, or those who think this will be helpful for strengthening our weak areas, we'll end up blowing whatever we receive on him on someone to replace him up front.

It'd just be so much easier to just have Moyes tell him he'll player a big role next season and have him sign a new contract, to be honest.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me

Ticket prices don't rise because the striker gets paid more money. People who own clubs are smart businessmen. The Glazers, in particular, don't give a feck about the fans and will raise prices as high as they can without causing too much of an uproar. Club owners know what price the market will bear and they tailor their ticket prices in order to maximize revenue. Negotiations with players take other things into account but the two equations don't affect each other.

And Plech is right, if kids have gone without food and clothing in order to purchase football tickets the finger needs to be pointed at the parents, not the players.

Ash_G

For me it depends why he wants to leave. If it's because he wants/feels that he wants or needs a new challenge then fair enough, disappointing but fair enough.

If he can't handle being subbed off/benched and can't accept that it's at least somewhat his own fault then that's annoying. However good or bad you think Rooney has been this season, he clearly hasn't been his best nor rarely shone in games. Say what you want about Ronaldo but however much he wanted to join Real he still was superb on the pitch.

wr8_utd

Did I say Ronaldo wasn't a twat?
You said :

You're defending Ronaldo saying it's fine that players need a new challenge but Rooney's done the same and he's a twat for asking twice? Or maybe I misinterpreted what you're saying and you aren't defending Ronaldo but it looked like since you responded with your reply to my post comparing Roone and Ronaldo.

Was Rooney on the pitch for Sir Alex's speech?
None of the players who were not in the squad were on the pitch for the speech.

Weird Fishes

It's a shame that after a decade at the club he still doesn't seem to have found his place at United. And yet he's been fantastic for us. As someone with wr8-levels of adoration for the guy, I hope he decides to stay, but if he thinks it's time to move on, I'll wish him well.

In regards to this situation versus Ronaldo's, this seems more like a case of Rooney being uncertain about his role at the club as opposed to Ronaldo's desire to play elsewhere. Sir Alex also seems rather willing to throw Rooney under the bus.

Backrow Singer

Wayne Rooney is a quality player; always has been, always will be. He has everything in his game that I look for in a United player; ability, workrate, desire, and he gives 100% commitment for the cause week in, week out. That's been proven over and over again, and I don't understand how anyone can disagree with that to be honest. As an all round player, there aren't to many players around who can compete with Wayne Rooney for me - he has everything in his game.

What that creates is an ego of you like, and you can't play for a club like United if you don't have one. To be left out of games of the magnitude of Madrid will hurt him, and although no player is bigger than the club, it's somewhat understandable that he wants to think his future through a little bit. For me, it will be a case of Moyes, Ferguson and the senior players at the club to put their arm round him, and to explain to him just how important he is for this club. We are a better team with him on the field than we are without him; that's for sure.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I still don't think the Ronaldo and Rooney sagas are comparable.

Rooney first asked to leave by bemoaning the lack of quality in the side, and questioning the direction of the club. Which was down right disrespectful. He essentially abused his position at the club to earn himself a nice fat contract.

Ronaldo, on the other hand, is a Madrid fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.