Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't Kill Bill

Rooney wanted us to show more ambition by signing great players. We sign RVP and Kagawa and his form drops, we leave him out and then he wants to leave because he is being left out. I can't see anything in this except petulance and selfishness.

What are we supposed to do, play him however poor his form? Buy talented players who are playing better than him but leave them out because he might get upset? In the Real game which seems to have been the start of this particular Rooney fest, Welbeck who played in his place, was fantastic and although we will never know for certain, I think UTD played better than if Rooney had played instead.

If the manager thinks this then the debate is over and the only one who is to blame for that is the player himself. Rather than doing something about his own form he decides to run for the door. We don't need that kind of player it undermines the winning mentality and team ethic of the squad. That is more dangerous than losing Rooney now that SAF is going.

Go or stay I don't care like I would have two years ago.

wr8_utd

:'(
You have just proven right there that Ronaldo never said anything about being a slave. It is media bullshit of feeding in info that isnt there.

As I said, I dont want to get into the whole Ronaldo/Rooney thing, but I thought it worth pointing out that the whole 'slave' thing that gets bought up is actually bollocks. Likewise, the media have done plenty to stir the pot for Rooney as well.
Like that Guardian article says, when the last point was put to him (about modern day slavery), Ronaldo said "I agree with what Blatter said." So yes, he agrees with the slave comments.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I agree, the whole thing is silly.

But in the same vien, I haven't seen any quotes directly from Rooney disparaging the club or publicly courting other clubs in either of his wantaway instances. As Plech said, he's never officially come out whining. Both times it's been leaked externally.

As Brwned's excellent football forum thread intimates, who knows how many other players have acted just the same without receiving the same intense scrutiny.

My point isn't that we desperately need to keep him. More that if we don't, there's no need for his exemplary United career to go up in flames amongst the fanbase.
Stop pretending the world isn't black and white mockney.

wr8_utd

:'(
Anyway, Ronaldo comparisons apart, I hope the club manages to convince him to stay because, love him or hate him, Rooney staying at the club is extremely important for our success and even more so with the transition period we're now going to enter.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I agree, the whole thing is silly.

But in the same vien, I haven't seen any quotes directly from Rooney disparaging the club or publicly courting other clubs in either of his wantaway instances. As Plech said, he's never officially come out whining. Both times it's been leaked externally.

As Brwned's excellent football forum thread intimates, who knows how many other players have acted just the same without receiving the same intense scrutiny.

My point isn't that we desperately need to keep him. More that if we don't, there's no need for his exemplary United career to go up in flames amongst the fanbase.
There were the disparaging comments about the ambitions of the club in an official statement attributed to Rooney in 2010, it is since that day that many fans turned against him and it is a lot of that anger that resurfaces now - whether he or his agent is responsible, we will never know. But either way he has to take at least part of the blame because he is a not a kid anymore.
This time he has not done so much wrong, but he is paying for his past error of judgement.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Stop pretending the world isn't black and white mockney.
I'm going to try and figure out some kind of mathematical equation for how good you have to be to get away with fecking the club around in the mind of supporters. Just so we can settle this finally for future debates.

So far it's something like this:

Best x Beckham = Ronaldo + RVN ÷ Rooney = 0(Tevez²) *

*Keane is a variable.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Anyway, Ronaldo comparisons apart, I hope the club manages to convince him to stay because, love him or hate him, Rooney staying at the club is extremely important for our success and even more so with the transition period we're now going to enter.
I agree with you there. I do hope Rooney comes round, as much as I dislike him.

The best outcome for all parties, except money hungry agents, is for him to stay.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Such a load of bollocks from Cunto and others.

People say all sorts of shit in contract negotiations. "I could sign for City... I need to know you're as ambitious as me"... who gives a feck? He tried it on, the club put pressure on him through the press, he blinked, they both signed something they were happy with.

No different from what Keano did, no doubt what lots of players do. It's not what you ideally want from players - you want them to love the club like you do - but that's modern football.

I agree with what Mockney's said here. Except I don't know if Rooney's an "idiot". He may not be a brain surgeon, but he also may be no thicker than your average footballer who doesn't know much outside football.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Like that Guardian article says, when the last point was put to him (about modern day slavery), Ronaldo said "I agree with what Blatter said." So yes, he agrees with the slave comments.
Dont be so niave, we have no idea what was asked of him - all we know is that he said he agreed with Blatter (and if you go and read about what exactly Blatter said that day, you will see it was a long speech). It is typical media bullshit and yet many United fans go on about how Ronaldo called himself a slave when he never did anything of the sort.

humdinger

The club bent over and looked weak last time he did this. I will be very unhappy if we bend over again. Sends out an appalling message.

He has been a fantastic player for us but if he won't work to get his form or place back then let's get rid. Lets stick to players who want to be here, not temperamental divas.

Mockney

I agree with what Mockney's said here. Except I don't know if Rooney's an "idiot". He may not be a brain surgeon, but he also may be no thicker than your average footballer who doesn't know much outside football.
No no, he's an idiot. He likes Celebrity Juice. I think we've scientifically deduced that's empirical proof of idiocy.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Such a load of bollocks from Cunto and others.

People say all sorts of shit in contract negotiations. "I could sign for City... I need to know you're as ambitious as me"... who gives a feck? He tried it on, the club put pressure on him through the press, he blinked, they both signed something they were happy with.

No different from what Keano did, no doubt what lots of players do. It's not what you ideally want from players - you want them to love the club like you do - but that's modern football.

I dont agree at all - Rooney crossed a line that the likes of Keane, Rio etc never did - I dont begrudge any player for fighting for the best deal they can get but he went too far. And he knows he did because he publicly apologised for doing it.

Ekeke

Mockney

I dont agree at all - Rooney crossed a line that the likes of Keane, Rio etc never did - I dont begrudge any player for fighting for the best deal they can get but he went too far. And he knows he did because he publicly apologised for doing it.
Mainly cos Fergie pulled a blinder in a press conference and some shady blokes in balaclavas turned up outside his house with banners.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
:lol:

He knows exactly what he wants and what he's doing. Why? Because hes a serial offender who knows exactly what happened last time. Now he's asking for it again
Yes but you need to differentiate between that and the steps his people take to do that which twice have just managed to piss off the people he actually wants to play for.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Mainly cos Fergie pulled a blinder in a press conference and some shady blokes in balaclavas turned up outside his house with banners.
Oh yes - it was an amazing press conference, another great memory of the great man on this day

Also I have no doubt that Fergie has planned this situation for some time, he has wanted to show Rooney that he is not bigger than the club for a couple of years now. Checkmate Wayne!

Plechazunga

Insisted on speaking to the Glazers? Asked to leave twice instead of being told to leave?
Oh so the first one was okay until he did the second?

How do you know Keano didn't threaten to leave? He certainly questioned the club's ambition, and he was probably right to at the time.

Did Rooney ask to speak to the Glazers?

Mockney

But either way he has to take at least part of the blame because he is a not a kid anymore.
Yes he is. They're all fecking kids. They're sheltered, overpaid, arrestedly developed kids. He's had the world at his feet & known nothing but football since he was 16. What common man life experiences could he have possibly learned in the last 10 years?...Other than if you're really good at kicking balls and whine a bit you get more money?

Plechazunga

Oh yes - it was an amazing press conference, another great memory of the great man on this day

Also I have no doubt that Fergie has planned this situation for some time, he has wanted to show Rooney that he is not bigger than the club for a couple of years now. Checkmate Wayne!
Yeah, checkmate! Let's sell one of the best players in the world and massively weaken a team already lacking in creativity. Winnars!

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
So if Moyes is offered 40mil for Rooney and it also frees up the reported 250k a week will he be tempted?

Mockney

Tbf, I'd agree with that to a degree. Fergie didn't have to bring this public. He could've batted it away easily, today of all days. He knew what he was doing. As he did when he took it on and managed to get everyone, even opposition fans, on his side the last time.

ArmchairCritic

Yeah, checkmate! Let's sell one of the best players in the world and massively weaken a team already lacking in creativity. Winnars!
There was one simple crossfield pass he played last weekend that told me exactly why it'd be stupid to sell him, we have no to switch the play anymore. It sounds stupid but it's important for our wingplay and RVP could do with some of those passes dropping over his shoulder. All that said if he left I wouldn't be bothered, can't be fecked with this bullshit all the time.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Rooney is too dumb to be calculated and manipulative. He's emotionally immature, prone to making rash decisions, and most likely highly susceptible to being influenced by the money men in his ear who are playing him and United.

This doesn't excuse Rooney of blame. He should show more respect to club and himself. But like most transfer sagas, I think the biggest problem is the scum that are agents.

Jacob

To be honest, if we keep Rooney against his will once more we lose credibility of our "nobody is bigger than the club" mantra. He hasn't been that good either, sure you can point at his stats all you want but there are plenty of players* who would match or surpass them given the same amount of minutes and team mates.

* Not saying they are available but Reus, Isco, Falcao etc. would excel. As might Kagawa now that he's had time to gel.

Ekeke

Oh so the first one was okay until he did the second?

How do you know Keano didn't threaten to leave? He certainly questioned the club's ambition, and he was probably right to at the time.

Did Rooney ask to speak to the Glazers?
Who said it was ok? And yes

Plechazunga

Publicly shamed the club - unacceptable in my eyes.
Pulicly shamed the club by having the club reveal his private conversations to the press?

There was one simple crossfield pass he played last weekend that told me exactly why it'd be stupid to sell him, we have no to switch the play anymore. It sounds stupid but it's important for our wingplay and RVP could do with some of those passes dropping over his shoulder. All that said if he left I wouldn't be bothered, can't be fecked with this bullshit all the time.
Carrick can switch the play I suppose. But yeah. There's so much we lose without him, unless we replace him with someone absolutely top class.

ArmchairCritic

To be honest, if we keep Rooney against his will once more we lose credibility of our "nobody is bigger than the club" mantra. He hasn't been that good either, sure you can point at his stats all you want but there are plenty of players who would match or surpass them given the same amount of minutes and team mates.
Why? Did we keep him against his will last time?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I dont think he is one of the best players in the world based on recent form, as I said earlier I think it is well possible that we have seen his peak so it would be a good time to cash in.

Also he may well still stay, but he will have been bought down a peg or two which was long overdue.

Fergie has played a blinder once again.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I'm curious as to why Fergie brought it up today and didn't just leave it to Moyes to deal with when he comes in.

Jacob

Why? Did we keep him against his will last time?
IMO you shouldn't be questioning the ambition of the greatest manager of all time, that was just an excuse for a bumper pay check. He might have wanted to stay, but he held the club ransom, which is equally bad to be honest.

hp88

Got a 50/50 applause at the end but this was the reaction he got when he picked up his medal, If he decides to stay then it will take more than apology to get the supporters back on his side.

ArmchairCritic

IMO you shouldn't be questioning the ambition of the greatest manager of all time, that was just an excuse for a bumper pay check. He might have wanted to stay, but he held the club ransom, which is equally bad to be honest.
He's just another insecure Footballer with a knob of an agent. As Gary Neville said he needs to go away and get his head right.

Status
Not open for further replies.