Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightonian

I'm curious as to why Fergie brought it up today and didn't just leave it to Moyes to deal with when he comes in.
Because he's not a wuss? Because if you read between the lines, it was something of a supportive take on the whole situation. 'Go home and think about it over the summer - I dropped you because you were out of form, and when you're in form you're important to the team.'

He knows Rooney better than anyone, and I get the impression that he thinks Rooney is just having a wobble because he's not been playing his best football and has been dropped a couple of times as a result, and that Rooney could easily change his mind again.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
:lol: @ wr8 saying Ronaldo was just as bad.

What Rooney is doing is 10x worse than what Ronaldo did. At least with Ronnie, we knew from the beginning he wanted to go to Spain. But what separated the two, was that Ronaldo gave us world class displays every game.

Ronaldo is still seen as a class act, Rooney won't be.

acnumber9

Manchester United shouldn't be bending over backward to keep him at the club. Lifting yet another trophy and having a look around him on days like this should be enough. If he wants to stay and put the work back into keeping himself fit and at the top of his game then great. If not then it's time for him to move on. I think he'll end up with more regrets than Manchester United do.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
He has often been a great and valued player however the same cannot be said for Wayne Rooney the professional. From 2012 [in particular] onwards there have been increasing signs IMO.

To conceal his avarice demands were made of the club and its ambition, the team continued to develop and in a direction Wayne claimed to want however along with this have come challenges, unfortunately these and their consequences are seemingly too much for him.

RVP raises the bar in terms of our strikers and Welbeck presented Fergie with a new option as a supporting role on big European nights [to say nothing of Kagawa], so what does Rooney do he packs his bags and calls his agent.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
:lol: @ wr8 saying Ronaldo was just as bad.

What Rooney is doing is 10x worse than what Ronaldo did. At least with Ronnie, we knew from the beginning he wanted to go to Spain. But what separated the two, was that Ronaldo gave us world class displays every game.

Ronaldo is still seen as a class act, Rooney won't be.
We all knew he wanted to go to Madrid, and Madrid knew, so he didn't actually have to spend every summer playing kiss-chase with them in the media.

Manchester United shouldn't be bending over backward to keep him at the club. Lifting yet another trophy and having a look around him on days like this should be enough. If he wants to stay and put the work back into keeping himself fit and at the top of his game then great. If not then it's time for him to move on. I think he'll end up with more regrets than Manchester United do.
Fair enough, probably true.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Because he's not a wuss? Because if you read between the lines, it was something of a supportive take on the whole situation. 'Go home and think about it over the summer - I dropped you because you were out of form, and when you're in form you're important to the team.'

He knows Rooney better than anyone, and I get the impression that he thinks Rooney is just having a wobble because he's not been playing his best football and has been dropped a couple of times as a result, and that Rooney could easily change his mind again.
Like Plech said, he's a confidence player. It's his biggest flaw really. It's why he goes through horrendous dips in form that stop him being in the very top echelon. He's always been his best when he's praised to high heaven. Healthy? god no. But from a football club perspective, it's better to make him feel loved rather than humiliate him.

I can see both points of view, but if anything's clear, it's that this whole episode has been brought up by the club (or a leak in the club) and not Rooney.

Whatever the reasons are, we don't know. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Could you imagine reading this kind of shite that people say about you and then brush it off?

Some of the stuff said in here in horrendous and if he did go I would not blame him. If he was hounded in the street by these type of cretins he'd be chinning feckwits left right and center.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Like Plech said, he's a confidence player. It's his biggest flaw really. It's why he goes through horrendous dips in form that stop him being in the very top echelon.

I can see both points of view, but if anything's clear, it's that this whole episode has been brought up by the club, and not Rooney. Rooney has nothing to gain this time around.

Whatever the reasons are, we don't know. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.
There were murmurs that Rooney's camp leaked SAF's retirement news weren't there? Definitely some power politics going on.

Jacob

Can't help but feel that Rooney is disappointed/jealous with RVP being the fans' shiny new toy.

Goooose

Can I borrow your crystal ball? I'd like to win the lottery next weekend.
Would you say he's given it his all recently? He might not be happy about being subbed off or not playing in his favoured position, but guess what, he's not in charge. If he's not happy, he's entitled to hand in a transfer request, but I don't want players at United that don't care about the club.

Neo_Mufc

Do we know if the transfer request was before or after SAF announced he was leaving?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Pulicly shamed the club by having the club reveal his private conversations to the press?
I am talking about the statement put out by him/his people in 2010. Keane, Rio etc never did anything like that just to get a new contract.

I don't think you get the best out of Rooney by bringing him down a peg or two. he's a confidence player, he needs to feel he's the man.
Maybe - in that case it is best that he leaves. We will do just fine without him, I have no doubt about that.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
I am talking about the statement put out by him/his people in 2010.
Which came after Fergie had upped the stakes by going public, no?

Rood said:
Maybe - in that case it is best that he leaves. We will do just fine without him, I have no doubt about that.
Is that you Alex? That explains things...

The Neviller

Would you say he's given it his all recently? He might not be happy about being subbed off or not playing in his favoured position, but guess what, he's not in charge. If he's not happy, he's entitled to hand in a transfer request, but I don't want players at United that don't care about the club.
If he stays because he wants to stay, then how do you know how he'll react? You can't speak in definites. "Oh, he won't give 100%". How do you know?

He's vastly underrated on here at times. I'm as annoyed as the next man, but a fit and on form Wayne Rooney is a force to be reckoned with in football. If he really wants to go and forces a move then fine, feck him, as long as we replace him with someone of equal or greater quality. Which won't be easy.

I'd rather he went away and thought about it, realised what he has here, and put in the effort to be as near as possible to the player he could and should be.

Still annoys me that we're even discussing him today.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
A season is a LONG time in football.

Who would have thought a season ago that at the end of 2013 Van Persie would be United's best player, and Rooney would (seemingly) be off in less than cordial circumstances.

Rooney is, and always will be a massive khunt though.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Which came after Fergie had upped the stakes by going public, no?

Is that you Alex? That explains things...
:smirk:

Yes Fergie upped the stakes, however there was a lot of media politics going on before that - quite clearly there were stories being fed to the media from Rooney's side to try and force a better deal.
At that time, the club ended up in a very weak position and Fergie was forced to go public to try and reverse the situation - I am always going to support the club rather than any individual player in any negotiation. Today is a diffferent situation as with 2 years left on a contract the club is stronger so Fergie is showing Wayne (and his team) who is boss.

Spoony

The People's President
I am talking about the statement put out by him/his people in 2010. Keane, Rio etc never did anything like that just to get a new contract.

Rio flirted with Chelsea to get a new contract, this after being banned by the FA for missing a drugs test. Seems to be a bit of an arbitrary line that's being created here. What's allowed and what's not then? I think most players are greedy, fans just get caught up in the thick of it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Finding a replacement that is as good as him half the time won't be that difficult. Finding one that's as good as his best would be slightly different.

The worst thing in my opinion is losing one of the biggest names in the team. Other good players will come to play with people like him. We'd have to replace him well in that regard, in my opinion.

Goooose

If he stays because he wants to stay, then how do you know how he'll react? You can't speak in definites. "Oh, he won't give 100%". How do you know?
He's already asked to move. TWICE.

When he's fit and on form, yes, he's a world class footballer. He doesn't want to play for United. He gave a bullshit reason the last time he asked to move, we bought a world class player in RvP, and now Rooney can't handle playing second fiddle.

Dominos

So the club who have rejected his transfer request are trying to force him out. Yeah ok
It's all very meaningless. He's said to Ferguson "I want to leave" and Fergie's said "nah". The months of dropping him, subbing him and playing him out of position don't exactly send out the message we see him as a huge asset for us anymore.

The transfer window isn't even open yet, we're obviously all too happy to hang Rooney out to dry and get the fans against him, we've made no attempt to keep it in doors whilst trying to get Rooney to sign another contract, and we've publicly made out he's refused to play a match (good chance Fergie's made up Rooney's mind for him on whether he wanted to play).

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
It's all very meaningless. He's said to Ferguson "I want to leave" and Fergie's said "nah". The months of dropping him, subbing him and playing him out of position don't exactly send out the message we see him as a huge asset for us anymore.

The transfer window isn't even open yet, we're obviously all too happy to hang Rooney out to dry and get the fans against him, we've made no attempt to keep it in doors whilst trying to get Rooney to sign another contract, and we've publicly made out he's refused to play a match (good chance Fergie's made up Rooney's mind for him for him on whether he wanted to play).
My heart bleeds for him. :rolleyes:

blythy

Fascist Dictator

When he's fit and on form, yes, he's a world class footballer. He doesn't want to play for United. He gave a bullshit reason the last time he asked to move, we bought a world class player in RvP, and now Rooney can't handle playing second fiddle.
This!!

wr8_utd

:'(

Others in the past have asked for moves more than once and they don't get the same abuse. Just no consistency

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I don't think people give him the credit he deserves for his performances this season. Yes, he can perform to a higher level. But looking at assists and goals per minute he's fecking good. Averaging those values he's better than van Persie (and everyone else in the league, I suspect).

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
We're having a discussion on the motives of the club, so feck off with your sarcasm, no one wants you to feel sorry for him, I certainly don't.
It's not his first transfer request. His reasons are easy to detect: it's because of him being an ungrateful, unprofessional and most of all greedy little prick and I'm still angry that we didn't sell him the first time around. His like a spoilt child that regularly throws his toys out of the pram and thinks he's better than he actually is. Not to forget how vastly overrated he is.

Compare him to a class act and class player like Robin.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Rio flirted with Chelsea to get a new contract, this after being banned by the FA for missing a drugs test. Seems to be a bit of an arbitrary line that's being created here. What's allowed and what's not then? I think most players are greedy, fans just get caught up in the thick of it.
My line is the public statements which bring shame on the club - simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.